.45 auto and two barrels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 auto and two barrels

s64woody
09-07-2012, 22:10
loaded some 230 grain lead round nose .45. I shoot it in my G36 with a Lone Wolf barrel. I shot one magazine through the G36 and then 5 rounds through my G21 to check function. (I do not habitually shoot lead through the G21 because it has an OEM barrel.)

When I collected the brass I found several that had "smileys" on them. I suspected the factory barrel in the G21, but it turned out that the Lone Wolf barrel was the culprit. The weird thing about this is that the LW barrel stopped producing this deformation after a few more rounds.

The factory barrel never has done this. i have not seen this in 40 years of reloading. Anyone care to wade into this and tell me what might be going on?

klmmicro
09-07-2012, 22:16
Is all your brass from the same batch, fired the same number of times? Range brass sometimes has AMERC mixed in. That brass will smiley on the first firing from factory sometimes.

Zombie Steve
09-07-2012, 22:38
Good Lord, you keep track of how many times you fired .45 brass?

OP - what's the load?

ca survivor
09-08-2012, 06:43
Good Lord, you keep track of how many times you fired .45 brass?

OP - what's the load?
if you reload it is wise to keep track of times reloaded, any brass.

Hoser
09-08-2012, 08:27

Some of my 45 ACP brass has been reloaded so many times you cant even read the headstamp anymore. A few pcs of look like they say LC 48 or maybe LC 49. I am guessing they have been reloaded a few times.

Zombie Steve
09-08-2012, 08:29
.45 auto is so low pressure you'll lose the brass before you ever wear it out. I have a few I can't read the headstamp any more.

Rifle brass - different story.

shotgunred
09-08-2012, 08:31

That might be true for high power rifle but is completely irrelevant in 45 acp. Shoot it until you lose it or it cracks.

Zombie Steve
09-08-2012, 08:38
Anyway - sorry Woody... I've never seen guppie brass from a .45 (again, pretty low pressures).

What kind of brass? Did they feel any different when you shot them?

s64woody
09-08-2012, 09:04
Great minds and such! After I posted the original question I realized that I had loaded mixed brass. I am now in the sandbox and cannot access the range bag to determine if the deformed cases are of a particular head stamp. When I get back home in 6 weeks I will investigate more thoroughly.

Thanks for the responses.

Colorado4Wheel
09-08-2012, 12:11
I would guess some of the loads are opening the chamber to fast causing the occasional smile. I doubt it has anything to do with the LW vs Stock barrel. But just out of spite I would hit that LW barrel with a BFH (big f-***** hammer).

Also, you can load most pistol calibers till they split. If you can't your pushing them too hard.