Back to Gaston [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Back to Gaston

PocketProtector
09-08-2012, 07:54
Sent my 1988 Gen. 2 G19 back to Smyrna yesterday for Warranty Upgrades.

Tech said 2 week turnaround. Anyone know what the UPGRADES consist of?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p93/MaxGee/Glock%2019/4028f4d3.jpg

voyager4520
09-08-2012, 08:20
I wouldn't send preban magazines back because they'd likely be replaced with new ones, and if you live in a state with a capacity limit those new magazines would be 10-rounders.

They'll probably do the six part upgrade, you can read more about it here:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

They'll likely also replace the slide lock spring, early slide lock springs were thinner and more prone to breaking than the new ones. Other than that they'll probably replace anything else that needs to be replaced for general wear and tear.

PocketProtector
09-08-2012, 09:11
I wouldn't send preban magazines back because they'd likely be replaced with new ones, and if you live in a state with a capacity limit those new magazines would be 10-rounders.

They'll likely also replace the slide lock spring, early slide lock springs were thinner and more prone to breaking than the new ones. Other than that they'll probably replace anything else that needs to be replaced for general wear and tear.

I will be pissed if they replace the magazine with a lower cap one.

TheGlockTalker
09-08-2012, 09:36
I doubt they'll do that.
You should be grandfathered in just like everybody else.

MartinRiggs1987
09-08-2012, 15:54
As far as specifics, I'm not sure. With every generation, such swaps become more convoluted. I would imagine current Gen 3 standards. Lets us know, how it turns out.

PocketProtector
09-12-2012, 13:28
Just got a call from Smyrna. They found a "crack" in the locking block of frame and are replacing with a Gen. 3 lower, along with new S/N.

Not happy about it, not a fan of finger grooves at all.
Removable?

jbglock
09-12-2012, 13:46
Huh? The steel locking block comes out. I hate finger grooves also. Get them to clarify exactly what is cracked.

JW1178
09-12-2012, 14:24
It probably cracked where the locking block meets the frame. That area takes a lot of stress because thats where most of the impact lands when the slide flies back.

TattooedGlock
09-12-2012, 15:25
Huh? The steel locking block comes out. I hate finger grooves also. Get them to clarify exactly what is cracked.

Yep, pops right out.

TattooedGlock
09-12-2012, 15:25
As old as it is, I'd have kept it for sentimental reasons as is and just bought a new one. :)

Paul53
09-12-2012, 16:58
You sent it to them for upgrades.

PocketProtector
09-12-2012, 17:05
You sent it to them for upgrades.

The upgrades were part of a no-recall recall back in early 90's. And I'd rather have a 100% G19 than a paperweight. Not liking finger Grooves though.

voyager4520
09-12-2012, 17:09
The finger grooves are removable, you can do it yourself or send it to a custom shop for a more professional job.

If the locking block cracked, that's replaceable and those old locking blocks are still made. However as JW said, the area around the locking block in the frame may crack particularly on older Glocks, and if there's a crack in the frame then it must be replaced. Newer Glocks have semicircle "relief cuts" molded into the frame at the rear of the locking block to stop those areas of the frame from cracking. Older frames didn't have those relief cuts, and I don't know if Glock still does it but they used to drill relief cuts into older frames. (that may be what they were about to do when they found the crack)

In the picture below, you'll see what I believe is a Gen2 frame on top, there are no semicircle cut-outs in the frame at the rear of the locking block. On the bottom I believe is a Gen3 RTF2 frame, and on the upper portion at the rear of the locking block you can see one of those stress relieving semicircle cut-outs.
http://i49.tinypic.com/wjev0w.jpg

kgross71
09-12-2012, 20:03
That's what I am doing with mine, both the GEN 1 and 2.

AJE
09-12-2012, 20:22
My gen 1 17 is never going back.

bac1023
09-12-2012, 20:24
My gen 1 17 is never going back.

I wouldn't send it back either.

SCC
09-12-2012, 20:54
hell you are about to get a new gun back !!! all is well if it was me ...

kgross71
09-12-2012, 21:01
If it's not broke it isn't going in, besides I have a good friend who is a Glock armorer. :supergrin:

tercel89
09-12-2012, 21:10
The finger grooves are removable, you can do it yourself or send it to a custom shop for a more professional job.

If the locking block cracked, that's replaceable and those old locking blocks are still made. However as JW said, the area around the locking block in the frame may crack particularly on older Glocks, and if there's a crack in the frame then it must be replaced. Newer Glocks have semicircle "relief cuts" molded into the frame at the rear of the locking block to stop those areas of the frame from cracking. Older frames didn't have those relief cuts, and I don't know if Glock still does it but they used to drill relief cuts into older frames. (that may be what they were about to do when they found the crack)

In the picture below, you'll see what I believe is a Gen2 frame on top, there are no semicircle cut-outs in the frame at the rear of the locking block. On the bottom I believe is a Gen3 RTF2 frame, and on the upper portion at the rear of the locking block you can see one of those stress relieving semicircle cut-outs.

Was this ever a big problem ? I dont think I have ever heard of it .

PocketProtector
09-18-2012, 17:43
Just got a call from my FFL. The gun is back, 10 calendar days. That's pretty amazing. I'll pick it up tomorrow at 10 AM, shoot it and report back tomorrow.

curlysir
09-18-2012, 19:30

Interesting, I learn something new here every day.

I just checked my Gen 2 19 (September 1993) and it has the cutout/holes for stress relief. Glock must have started putting the relief in the later Gen 2's.

voyager4520
09-19-2012, 06:19
Was this ever a big problem ? I dont think I have ever heard of it .
Not a big problem, but big enough that Glock made the change. As far as I know most early frames never cracked in that area. There's a Gen1 G17 on display in the Glock factory in Austria with 348,210 rounds through it and I would assume it never cracked, or if it did at least it made it through that many rounds without a problem.

PocketProtector
09-19-2012, 13:58
Well, picked up the G19 and it's completely rebuilt except for slide and barrel.

I actually like it. Stretched a tire inner tube over the grip and it actually feels fantastic. Better than before.

Went through the PICS check due to new S/N and while waiting, I spied a Gen 3 & Gen 4 G26s in the case.

Ooookay....Love at first sight. Went home, got my Remington R1, went back to FFL, traded it for the Gen. 4 and I seriously love this gun.

Weight and balance are perfect, feels great in the hand with the inner tube and carries ridiculously easy. Pointing qualities better than the G19.

Will shoot both tomorrow and report.

Squatcho
10-11-2012, 11:25
I recently bought a 1990 production Gen2. I prefer the Gen2 grip but I also couldn't resist this one because it was clean and unmarked, had all of the original internals, and obviously had a very low round count. I am lucky in that my office is only a 15 minute drive from Glock, so I took it by for a checkup today. The armorer mentioned the issue of the frame cracking in exactly in the location you are describing, and he said that Glock's new policy is to make relief cuts on the rails at that location to prevent future problems. I walked out 30 minutes later with a rebuilt G19, relief cut frame, and a bag containing my low mileage original internals.

SCmasterblaster
10-11-2012, 12:19

This sucks!

fasteddie565
10-11-2012, 18:41
Sorry.... double take

fasteddie565
10-11-2012, 18:42
I sent my gen 2 G 19 in ( < 200 rds) as it shot unexplainably to the left. They sent me a refurbished Gen 3.
No complaints though, they replaced the factory sights with my TFO's.

They sent it back to my FFL as it was a different SN and I had to do a new yellow form.

ken grant
10-11-2012, 19:06
Carried a Gen 2 23 in to Glock for a checkup and night sights and they found my frame battered and needed replacing.

I had to leave it and they told me 2 weeks to replace it.
2 weeks to the day Fed-X delivered my 23 to my home.
Now I have a Gen 2/3 with mismatched numbers.
Did not have to go through a FFL although my frame has a different number.

Same trip, a Gen 1 17 with several non-dropfree mags.
They rebuilt the 17 with all new insides and replaced all my mags with new dropfree ones.

All of the above at no charge.

t4terrific
10-14-2012, 15:31
Well, picked up the G19 and it's completely rebuilt except for slide and barrel.

I actually like it. Stretched a tire inner tube over the grip and it actually feels fantastic. Better than before.

Went through the PICS check due to new S/N and while waiting, I spied a Gen 3 & Gen 4 G26s in the case.

Ooookay....Love at first sight. Went home, got my Remington R1, went back to FFL, traded it for the Gen. 4 and I seriously love this gun.

Weight and balance are perfect, feels great in the hand with the inner tube and carries ridiculously easy. Pointing qualities better than the G19.

Will shoot both tomorrow and report.
You didn't like the Remington R1?