Things people say at the gun shop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Things people say at the gun shop

Pages : [1] 2

FireForged
09-08-2012, 16:35
I have always been amazed at the things I hear people say while im at the gun shop. If you have had a similar experience, please chime in.

Starting with most recent:

1. " anytime a person asks me about a good IWB holster, I know right then that they have never worn a IWB holster".

2. "Those electronic earmuffs right there wont let in any noise higher than 86db, they cancel everything above 86."

Customer: "what about this here that says 27db noise reduction"

Clerk: "dont worry about that, its cancels everything above 86"

3. "bullets come down twice as fast as they go up.. thats why shooting in the air is so dangerous"

4. "its nearly impossible for a magazine to cause a feeding problem"

raven11
09-08-2012, 16:41
" that is the rifle those North Koreans were using to kill our boys"

I was holding a Swiss K31?:dunno:

MtBaldy
09-08-2012, 16:44
I hear this often: "Revolvers never jam".

HauntedAlabama
09-08-2012, 16:44
" I want the bullets that wound people for personal protection, I do not want to kill the bad guy, just wound him."

" Black talons were outlawed because they could shoot through the police department's bullet proof vests."

HauntedAlabama
09-08-2012, 16:48
Crap, forgot one from a few months ago. I was checking out a Springfield SOCOM 16 and the counter guy tells me I do not want that, it is from WW2. He then pulls a Colt off the wall, the one with the Magpul furniture, and proceeds to tell me this is a "modern" rifle. I smiled.

Glock_9mm
09-08-2012, 16:57
Happened last night while buying some ammo.

Husband: "don't point that at me"
Wife: "why?" as she pulls the trigger "the guy behind the counter said it was unloaded!"
She did this several times.

SouthpawG26
09-08-2012, 17:05
"The best American handgun you can buy is a Springfield XD".....

smokin762
09-08-2012, 17:14
I once heard a LGS owner say something that made me cringe. He told somebody that when a CCW holder is armed and gets pulled over by L.E., they need to put all windows down and extend both arms out the window as far as they could. :upeyes:

I told that customer when walking out the door, he needs to check the CCW part on the Attorney Generals website. It clearly states to put down the windows and keep both hands on the steering wheel. Also to inform the LE you have a CCW and are you are armed as soon as they come up to you. Then ask for further instructions.

The sad part of it was months later I heard an LE say the same thing at the gun club. I didn’t want to start an argument with him because I do respect LE and what they do. However, I did really want to tell him it’s about following the Law, not mind reading. I chose to shut up and go back to target shooting.

NEOH212
09-08-2012, 17:16
I like this one:

"Kimber makes the best 1911 on the market."

:upeyes::upeyes:

:rofl:

TBO
09-08-2012, 17:17
"Never talk to the Police"

NEOH212
09-08-2012, 17:17
My personal favorite:

$28.75 for a twenty round box of 230 Gold Dot!:wow:

(And they wonder why people purchase their ammo online.):whistling:

NEOH212
09-08-2012, 17:18

Never Never.

You know how they're all out to conspire against everyone. :upeyes:

(Duly note the sarcasm.)

:wavey:

klmmicro
09-08-2012, 17:25

Wife: "why?" as she pulls the trigger "the guy behind the counter said it was unloaded!"

About the only circumstance where spousal abuse is justified!

smokin762
09-08-2012, 17:28

I was just shocked thats all. :dunno:

ZombieJoe
09-08-2012, 17:28
I heard this at a LGS in ILLINOIS last month.

"Bro, do you sell any silencers that fit a Glock and a AK?"

The guy behind the counter, who is the stereotypical grouchy old guy at any LGS just walked away.

klmmicro
09-08-2012, 17:29
"They shoot straighter with the bayonet attached." It was some crappy MN and the counter guy let the idiot traipse through the store with a bayonet on his rifle. I asked the RM, "Range is only 25 yards...how straight does it have to be?"

Hoss
09-08-2012, 17:36
Sorry DP this and edited it.

Hoss
09-08-2012, 17:45
"Women should not buy semi-auto pistols because their hands are to small"

Some know-it-all guy standing near a young woman looking at handguns.

Shinytop
09-08-2012, 17:46
I bought my G22 two weeks ago. When I showed it to my wife I made sure she saw me check magazine and chamber. She then held it casually pointed almost at me. I told her to never point it near a person and to always act like it was loaded. She then laughed and said "You told me it was empty!" She never got the point and will never be taught how to fire. You cannot fix stupid.

maxmanta
09-08-2012, 17:54
Pretty much any "one-thing-versus-another" subject is going to bring ignoramuses out of the woodwork.

AR vs AK
9mm vs .45
Glock vs whatever

smokin762
09-08-2012, 17:55
I bought my G22 two weeks ago. When I showed it to my wife I made sure she saw me check magazine and chamber. She then held it casually pointed almost at me. I told her to never point it near a person and to always act like it was loaded. She then laughed and said "You told me it was empty!" She never got the point and will never be taught how to fire. You cannot fix stupid.

Is she hot? You did marry her. :rofl:

BTW, Welcome. :wavey:

clancy
09-08-2012, 17:57
I once heard a gunshop clerk tell a customer that he preferred Winchester ammunition over Remington because Remington brass is brittle.

At the same gunshop a guy walked in and asked for gunpowder. When asked what kind he needed, and what he was reloading, he replied he was going to feed it to his pitbulls to make them meaner when he fought them. He was told to leave.

gwalchmai
09-08-2012, 18:13
"Here, this one's ready to go" as the dude handed me a rental G19 with the slide locked back and a round visible at the top of the mag.

I said "Um, sir, did you mean to hand me this loaded gun?"

He grabbed the gun from my extended hand and blustered "Those damn idiots on the night shift are supposed to check this stuff!"

I agreed with him...

Ohio Copper
09-08-2012, 18:14
Never Never.

You know how they're all out to conspire against everyone. :upeyes:

(Duly note the sarcasm.)

:wavey:

What do you think we do at Dunkin donuts?

:)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glotin
09-08-2012, 18:17

But you can obviously marry it...

MadeInAmerica
09-08-2012, 18:39

This one is true.

ZombieJoe
09-08-2012, 18:47
I once heard a gunshop clerk tell a customer that he preferred Winchester ammunition over Remington because Remington brass is brittle.

At the same gunshop a guy walked in and asked for gunpowder. When asked what kind he needed, and what he was reloading, he replied he was going to feed it to his pitbulls to make them meaner when he fought them. He was told to leave.

I have heard of people doing that. How the heck does that make them meaner?

Aholes like that are pits have a bad rep.

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
09-08-2012, 18:49
I work part time in a gun shop. I have heard them all.

Just today a guy says to his buddy who was shopping for a handgun. "Get a .40 or a .45, no nines, they suck for stopping people."

Guy ask me "What do you think about the 9mm for self defense?" His buddy who just told him to not get a 9mm is staring at me like he just caught me in bed with his wife or something.

I say "Sir, all service calibers from 9mm and up will do their job if we do ours. Pick what you like best and shoot best."

His buddy pipes in "No, 9mm is a wounding round, it's not made to stop people like the .45, at the .45 will knock them down so you can hit them with a follow up shot."

I then stare at him blankly and say "Sir, no handgun can knock anyone down. Physics 101 tells us that much. About the only thing a .45 will do is make a bigger hole, that's about it, and it's not relevant beyond that."

He then grabs his buddy and says out loud "Lets get out of here, this guy doesn't know what the ****** he is even talking about."

Out the door they went.

I get at least one a day like that. The keyboard commandos is what I like to call them. All you can do it try to educate them and be polite and move along.

John Galt
09-08-2012, 19:00
Me: "I'm looking for a quality IWB holster."

Clerk: "We have some 'Uncle Mikes' over here." :upeyes:

Glotin
09-08-2012, 19:02

Just today a guy says to his buddy who was shopping for a handgun. "Get a .40 or a .45, no nines, they suck for stopping people."

Guy ask me "What do you think about the 9mm for self defense?" His buddy who just told him to not get a 9mm is staring at me like he just caught me in bed with his wife or something.

I say "Sir, all service calibers from 9mm and up will do their job if we do ours. Pick what you like best and shoot best."

His buddy pipes in "No, 9mm is a wounding round, it's not made to stop people like the .45, at the .45 will knock them down so you can hit them with a follow up shot."

I then stare at him blankly and say "Sir, no handgun can knock anyone down. Physics 101 tells us that much. About the only thing a .45 will do is make a bigger hole, that's about it, and it's not relevant beyond that."

He then grabs his buddy and says out loud "Lets get out of here, this guy doesn't know what the ****** he is even talking about."

Out the door they went.

I get at least one a day like that. The keyboard commandos is what I like to call them. All you can do it try to educate them and be polite and move along.

They probably didn't get the Physics 101 reference.

You should have asked why the military uses 9mm ball as standard issue if it's a wounding round.

John Galt
09-08-2012, 19:04

You should have asked why the military uses 9mm ball as standard issue if it's a wounding round.

Because a wounded soldier ties up 1-2 other soldiers on the battlefield? :dunno:

Kilrain
09-08-2012, 19:07
Because a wounded soldier ties up 1-2 other soldiers on the battlefield? :dunno:

I thought it was because the US military decided to switch from .45 ACP to the standard NATO pistol caliber in the 1980s................:dunno:

:whistling:

Scott3670
09-08-2012, 19:20
I heard a person say that they wanted to buy a gun but wouldn't shoot it. They just wanted one in case they ever needed it but didn't want to ever shoot it.

WTF?

racer11
09-08-2012, 19:39

The practice of feeding gun powder to a fighting dog was something that was actually done back in the days. My Grandfather did that long before I was born,,,,My dad told me about him doing that and how much money he made with that dog. Of course after time the dog died from the effects of the powder.

Hoss
09-08-2012, 19:46

I hear that a lot. Why is it? One of my friends is a cop and he is absolutely one of the coolest people I know.

He does however not like some of the new guys. Says he does not know that they are in the job for the best reason.

His wife is a teacher and says the same thing about the new ones coming in.

tous
09-08-2012, 20:11

The wimpy, feminine 9mm seems to do the job on the TV and at the picture shows. :headscratch:
Feller should believe what he sees with his own eyes 'cause we all know that the TV and the picture shows are absolutely realistic.

I once heard a galoot say that the starship Enterprise was once shot down while traveling at warp 7.8 by a hand gun. I was about to call him a liar, but on further thought ... had to be a 10mm. Heck, I figure the 24th century was lucky that only a Galaxy class starship was destoyed and not an entire galaxy.

:supergrin:

DanaT
09-08-2012, 20:25

What if she is a blonde German police officer? Have you seen some of them?

Ohio Copper
09-08-2012, 20:44

Ay carumba!!!

clancy
09-08-2012, 21:05
I have heard of people doing that. How the heck does that make them meaner?

Aholes like that are pits have a bad rep.

Gun powder eats a hole in the stomach lining. The dog basically suffers from an ulcer that is incrediby painful. We have a whole subculture with absolutely no compassion and doesn't give a damn what they do to anyone or anything.

larry_minn
09-08-2012, 21:13
You have to be very careful feeding gunpowder to dogs. I recall a older gent ate some gunpowder every day. LIved to be 100. Sad thing is they cremated him. Blew up the mortuary and tossed other dead bodies half a block.

janice6
09-08-2012, 21:20

Women don't like to be told what to do. Also, you don't know, she may just be practicing.

AKR
09-08-2012, 21:25
A clerk in a local gun store once told me that they didn't carry .45 GAP ammunition because there wasn't sufficient room in the shorter cartridge for all the powder and therefore it was a weak round.

janice6
09-08-2012, 21:25
I was walking by the gun counter at a local farm store when the overweight clerk (Yeah,stereotype) said to the three others STS with him, "If the cops knew you were carrying a.357 Magnum they would be afraid to mess with you". I laughed so loud the wife asked my why. ( I was carrying a .357 Magnum).

JuneyBooney
09-08-2012, 21:28
" that is the rifle those North Koreans were using to kill our boys"

I was holding a Swiss K31?:dunno:

JuneyBooney
09-08-2012, 21:31

A local pd has the hottest blonde cop I have ever seen. She has been there about a year and I just saw her a few weeks ago...:wow:I want her to frisk me. :whistling: Yes, there are some very hot female American cops..not all are lesbians that weigh 200 pounds. :rofl:

HollowHead
09-08-2012, 21:50
Me: "I'm looking for a quality IWB holster."

Clerk: "We have some 'Uncle Mikes' over here.":

The clerk knows his stuff. HH

ZombieJoe
09-08-2012, 22:43
I have heard this a couple times.

"Can this kill someone? "

HollowHead
09-08-2012, 22:51

That's actually a good question. HH

K.Kiser
09-08-2012, 23:04

Not 9mm'ers, they are only made to wound unless it's those evil hollow points and black talons..

ddbtoth
09-08-2012, 23:20
I hear that a lot. Why is it? One of my friends is a cop and he is absolutely one of the coolest people I know.

He does however not like some of the new guys. Says he does not know that they are in the job for the best reason.

His wife is a teacher and says the same thing about the new ones coming in.

here ya go

Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 - YouTube

ilgunguygt
09-09-2012, 00:12

He is probably a reloader. I get, on average, half as many reloads out of Remington brass that I do out of Winchester brass in many of my pistol cartidges, especially 38/357. It tends to split at the neck way before winchester, cci/blazer, or others.

NEOH212
09-09-2012, 00:36
What do you think we do at Dunkin donuts?

:)

:rofl::rofl:

John Galt
09-09-2012, 00:37
The clerk knows his stuff. HH

While UM holsters are useable, they're not exactly what I would call quality.

NEOH212
09-09-2012, 00:38

Ich glaube, dass ich deutsche Polizeifrauen gewesen sein sollte......:whistling:

dabigguns357
09-09-2012, 02:21
"Women should not buy semi-auto pistols because their hands are to small"

Some know-it-all guy standing near a young woman looking at handguns.

My wife gets that one and i'll add another one.

You don't need that big ole Glock 23,all you need is this cute little pink .38,cause that Glock is to much to handle.:upeyes:

My wife hates most counter monkeys and lets them know it if they try and use suggestive selling like this.Heck even i don't say much,i'm just the waiting wallet.:supergrin:

I used to hear this a lot from a neighbor about every gun they saw me carry.Is that a Glock 9 you got,even though most of the time it was a S&W 4506-1?At one point i started to say yes,it was the new 5 inch barrel stainless version.

dabigguns357
09-09-2012, 02:24

I figured they were to cheap to stay with the .45

frizz
09-09-2012, 03:13

I'd like your reasoning on that. Specifically, in a self-defense shooting situation, how would you view a person who is polite, and says that he wants to cooperate, but he wants to consult his lawyer before making a statement?

I have a lawyer friend who has helped me with a couple of civil issues. We were shooting the bull one day, and the subject of self-defense shootings came up. He told me that if - God forbid - I should ever be in one, I should say:

"I want to cooperate with you, but a lawyer friend warned me not to make a statement without talking with him first, and that if I did, he would not represent me."

And that's true; he would refuse.

I have also seen the video in this thread with the law professor and the graduating student who was a detective who both say to advise a client to keep quiet. The detective said that it is easy to make a statement that has errors due to memory problems, and cause an honset cop to make an error.

This is the majority advice, but I have heard the opposite from a few knowledgeable people including you and Mas Ayoob.

frizz
09-09-2012, 03:18
"Just the sound of racking a 12-guage shotgun will scare most buglers to death."

NeverMore1701
09-09-2012, 03:23
"The military went with 5.56mm because it wounds instead of kills, taking two enemy soldiers off the battlefield to take care of their injured comrade!"

I see this all the time right here in GT too, and it just makes me want to throw my laptop out the window.

jp3975
09-09-2012, 03:23
Winchester white box .40 sw...$49.99 at gander mt. Available at walmart for $26.

Me: Do you have a Glock 34? Them: No, but you'd better order it before Obama bans it.

Me: Do you have any 10mm? Them: No, but you'd better get all you can because Obama is going to ban it.

Both different stores in different towns.

jp3975
09-09-2012, 03:33
I'll give a bonus but it was 2 guys getting their permit.

Guy one:

Shoots sideways, gangster style. Not one bullet hits the 2ftx2ft target at 15ft.

Guy two: Cant hit the target. We all have partners and reload for each shooter then switch. Instructor takes the place of his partner and "reloads" his gun for him. But the instructor intentionally didnt put ammo in the gun. The guy pulls the trigger on the empty chamber of a 9mm and you would think he was shooting a .454 for the first time.

rockapede
09-09-2012, 04:17
"Just the sound of racking a 12-guage shotgun will scare most buglers to death."

I think this just might be true.

gwalchmai
09-09-2012, 04:35
Because a wounded soldier ties up 1-2 other soldiers on the battlefield? :dunno:But our enemies (godless Huns, godless Nazis, godless Japs, godless Commies, and godless muslims) don't care for their wounded like we do. Therefore the wounded soldier theory doesn't hold water.

n0leafcl0ver
09-09-2012, 04:44
two weeks ago....

customer- what assault rifle do u recommend for home defense and plinking?

clerk- any of em are ok except for the ar-15's...they jam up constantly after about 100 rounds because the gas ports are designed way too small... and they are expensive to shoot because u cant use steel cased ammo due to the weak extractors on the ar's..

just shook my head.... what an idiot

MtBaldy
09-09-2012, 05:11
I figured they were to cheap to stay with the .45

It was mainly to standardize ammo with NATO. I'm sure they also noticed 9 mm was cheaper to practice with. They also noticed some of the increasing number of women in the military had trouble shooting the .45. Last, I don't think they really want soldiers using their sidearm anyway. I don't think anyone outside of the Pentagon was happy with the switch.

MtBaldy
09-09-2012, 05:12
two weeks ago....

Let me guess, he then tried to sell them a Chinese AK-47?

MC
09-09-2012, 05:54

Probably make 'em blow a few sour notes for sure.:whistling:

n0leafcl0ver
09-09-2012, 06:10

How did u guess? Yea, he was showing him a sks and an ak-47.

PettyOfficer
09-09-2012, 06:19
two weeks ago....

clerk- any of em are ok except for the ar-15's...they jam up constantly after about 100 rounds because the gas ports are designed way too small... and they are expensive to shoot because u cant use steel cased ammo due to the weak extractors on the ar's..

Well, what if they only sold DPMS? Lol.

Breg0352
09-09-2012, 06:38
Teenage Airsoft enthusiast: "How do we go about registering this?"

FFL Dealer: "The air rifle?"

Teenage Airsoft enthusiast: "Yeah we have to register rifles right?"

FFL Dealer: "No."

Cracked me up.

shogun1975
09-09-2012, 06:52
I love the "I was a Navy Seal/Delta Force/Israeli Defense Force Sniper" asking "So which is better an AK or or an AR?"

shogun1975
09-09-2012, 07:03

Is the racking of a 12 gauge really that much more scary than a 20 gauge or .410??? :shocked:

smokin762
09-09-2012, 07:38

You watch too many movies. :rofl::rofl:

badge315
09-09-2012, 07:43
Is the racking of a 12 gauge really that much more scary than a 20 gauge or .410??? :shocked:

It's twice as scary as a 20 gauge and 4 times as scary as a .410 :supergrin:

kahrcarrier
09-09-2012, 07:57
I must be lucky..... Nothing spectacular to report.

Well. The guy that stated, "Kimbers are junk."

Andy W
09-09-2012, 08:00
But our enemies (godless Huns, godless Nazis, godless Japs, godless Commies, and godless muslims) don't care for their wounded like we do. Therefore the wounded soldier theory doesn't hold water.

You do know Muslims believe in God right? The extremists who make up Islamic terror groups are misguided in their religion but they are indeed doing what they believe is God's will. So, extremism being a totally different topic, Muslims worship what is basically a slightly different interpretation of the god that Christian's and Jews worship. Sorry to go off topic.

But yes, I agree that the wounded soldier thing doesn't really hold water.

DanaT
09-09-2012, 08:02
Ich glaube, dass ich deutsche Polizeifrauen gewesen sein sollte......:whistling:

Dont forget the Handfessel.

G36's Rule
09-09-2012, 08:08

Out the door they went.

What you should have done is shut up and sell them a 45.

:faint:

That would have been my advice the first time you did that if it were my shop. The second time I would have fired you.

Hailstorm
09-09-2012, 08:14
Well, with all the bad. I will add one of the good. While a Dick's sporting goods.

A couple came in and said they needed something for protection and asked about a .22 rifle. The young man behind the counter explained that would not be a good choice. Suggested several other calibers.

I suggested a $200 12 guage is a good fit. Found out after some talking. A man has been approaching the female at home. Been looking in the windows. Found foot prints outside the windows.

These two didn't have a pot to pee in. I suggested they reach out to family and see if they could borrow a shotgun from family. If they could afford the $200 I suggested. I explained the best load to use in the house as well.

Don't know what ever happened. But, I hope they listened and handled the issue. Thankful the salesguy didn't push for something stupid.

K.Kiser
09-09-2012, 08:23
What you should have done is shut up and sell them a 45.

That would have been my advice the first time you did that if it were my shop. The second time I would have fired you.

I didn't read anything about him condemning the purchase of a .45... What's the cause for termination..?

jakebrake
09-09-2012, 08:24
i had a local gun shop employee giving a profanity laden talk with a co-worker about a customer while waving a glock around sweep me 3 times.

needless to say, haven't been buying from them.

Shockem841
09-09-2012, 08:27
''obama is going to take your guns'' ''clips''

G36's Rule
09-09-2012, 08:27
I didn't read anything about him condemning the purchase of a .45... What's the cause for termination..?

He argued with a potential customer about caliber nonsense. I thought that was pretty obvious.

MotoGlock
09-09-2012, 08:32

Ok, now we need pictures of you. :wavey:

Zombie Steve
09-09-2012, 08:41
My all time favorite was probably 10 years ago. I was talking to one of the gun shop guys, a middle age guy rudely interrupts us, produces a scope and demands that the guy zero the scope for 200 yards. The guy said "Well, where's the rifle? I can bore sight it for you."

"DON'T GIVE ME ANY OF YOUR CRAP! NOW ZERO THIS SCOPE FOR 200 YARDS!"

He calmly takes the scope, goes out back, smokes a cigarette, comes back in and charges the guy $10.

Thumpernator
09-09-2012, 08:57
My all time favorite was probably 10 years ago. I was talking to one of the gun shop guys, a middle age guy rudely interrupts us, produces a scope and demands that the guy zero the scope for 200 yards. The guy said "Well, where's the rifle? I can bore sight it for you."

He calmly takes the scope, goes out back, smokes a cigarette, comes back in and charges the guy $10.

That's priceless. Smart salesman (minus the smoking part).

K.Kiser
09-09-2012, 08:58
He argued with a potential customer about caliber nonsense. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Just interjected a little truth to the moronic sidekick.. The guy there to buy a gun was asking for advice, and was told that the caliber in question would work just fine...

They may have just been tire kickers anyway, I don't really know the actual gravity of the discussion..

Peace Warrior
09-09-2012, 09:11
" I hope that's a gun in your pocket, and not something else tapping on my display case. " (Weaver- Southside gun off Atlantic, YEEEEEEEEARS ago.)

gwalchmai
09-09-2012, 09:24
You do know Muslims believe in God right? The extremists who make up Islamic terror groups are misguided in their religion but they are indeed doing what they believe is God's will. So, extremism being a totally different topic, Muslims worship what is basically a slightly different interpretation of the god that Christian's and Jews worship. Sorry to go off topic.Why be sorry for taking the opportunity to hop up and down like a Dem delegate about an obvious (to those within one SD of normal) joke?

AngryPanda
09-09-2012, 09:43

And that is just about the best way to handle it. Will have to remember that. I have given up trying to talk sense into some customers. My favorite is when some guy wlaks in and announces "I need a clip for a 40"
"What kind of .40 cal magazine?"

"I already told you, a 40 cal, now do you ahve one or not"

So I grab the nearest random 40 cal magazine and sell it to him. No sense trying to help if he won't have it, and I don't want him screaming and yelling on the sales floor.

He probably went back and posted on GT about the idiot behind the counter who doesn't even know what magazine his weapon takes.

badge315
09-09-2012, 09:46
" I hope that's a gun in your pocket, and not something else tapping on my display case. " (Weaver- Southside gun off Atlantic, YEEEEEEEEARS ago.)

"Do it now, do it today...at Southside Gun." :wavey:

TBO
09-09-2012, 09:51
Buy a .45 (acp). It has more stopping power. It causes the person shot to spin, often breaking/dislocating bones.

gwalchmai
09-09-2012, 09:53
@ Bass Pro Shop I had young man tell me that Ruger doesn't make a Blackhawk that shoots .45 Colt and .45 ACP. "Never have - it's not possible. ACP is only for automatics."

tous
09-09-2012, 10:08
@ Bass Pro Shop I had young man tell me that Ruger doesn't make a Blackhawk that shoots .45 Colt and .45 ACP. "Never have - it's not possible. ACP is only for automatics."

So, that feller would pay huge bucks for my impossible, one-of-a-kind Blackhawk Convertible?

I'm rich! :woohoo:
SPAM for all! :elephant:
On me! :snoopy:

professorpinki
09-09-2012, 10:11
No, a wounded soldier doesn't. Priority one is killing the enemy so that you can tend to your soldiers better without dying yourself.

Certain exceptions apply.

On a related note, 5.56 was chosen because not only does it get the job done but the individual soldier can carry twice as much of it. Fire superiority wins, not necessarily the size of the rounds going down range.
It was mainly to standardize ammo with NATO. I'm sure they also noticed 9 mm was cheaper to practice with. They also noticed some of the increasing number of women in the military had trouble shooting the .45. Last, I don't think they really want soldiers using their sidearm anyway. I don't think anyone outside of the Pentagon was happy with the switch.
I'm happy with the switch away from the 1911. Those things were beaten to hell and back... much like the M9's are now after over a decade at war. And, they weren't being replaced.

The design's almost 110 years old, and at the time was already about 80 years old. Innovation has been made. We even have airplanes now, that can fly across the seas and refuel without landing!

Peace Warrior
09-10-2012, 11:04
You do know Muslims believe in God right? The extremists who make up Islamic terror groups are misguided in their religion but they are indeed doing what they believe is God's will. So, extremism being a totally different topic, Muslims worship what is basically a slightly different interpretation of the god that Christian's and Jews worship. Sorry to go off topic.

But yes, I agree that the wounded soldier thing doesn't really hold water.
Point of fact in interest of the topic: (http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm)allah is merely one of over 350 pagan idols that was picked out as "the god" for islam. in reality, allah is simply an ancient, pagan moon god that was additionally trumped up by some pedophile named mohammed(sp?) and who is now thought to be allah's prophet.

IIRC, mohammed took "allah's" wife and kids out of the idol worship aspect and set allah up as the same G-d of the Jews at the time, and now today, the same G-d for the Christians as well.

Peace Warrior
09-10-2012, 11:08
"Do it now, do it today...at Southside Gun." :wavey:
That's him!

He had maybe a 1/2 dozen of us fall out laffing that day.

DanaT
09-10-2012, 11:15
Point of fact in interest of the topic: (http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm)allah is merely one of over 350 pagan idols that was picked out as "the god" for islam. in reality, allah is simply an ancient, pagan moon god that was additionally trumped up by some pedophile named mohammed(sp?) and who is now thought to be allah's prophet.

IIRC, mohammed took "allah's" wife and kids out of the idol worship aspect and set allah up as the same G-d of the Jews at the time, and now today, the same G-d for the Christians as well.

I see a fatwā coming...

MtBaldy
09-10-2012, 11:26
I'm happy with the switch away from the 1911. Those things were beaten to hell and back...

The design's almost 110 years old, and at the time was already about 80 years old.

What has the age of the design got to do with anything if it still works well and does the job it was supposed to do?

The correct answer would have been to buy new 1911s.

I didn't know anyone at the time who was in the military, or had been, who was happy with the decision. I have had several ex-military who had to use the 9 mm in combat say it was next to useless. Granted I'm only talking about a very small sample but my experience suggests adopting the 9mm over the .45 was, and is, a mistake.

Maybe some current, or ex, military on here can comment.

Dennis in MA
09-10-2012, 11:41
I once heard a LGS owner say something that made me cringe. He told somebody that when a CCW holder is armed and gets pulled over by L.E., they need to put all windows down and extend both arms out the window as far as they could. :upeyes:

I told that customer when walking out the door, he needs to check the CCW part on the Attorney Generals website. It clearly states to put down the windows and keep both hands on the steering wheel. Also to inform the LE you have a CCW and are you are armed as soon as they come up to you. Then ask for further instructions.

The sad part of it was months later I heard an LE say the same thing at the gun club. I didn’t want to start an argument with him because I do respect LE and what they do. However, I did really want to tell him it’s about following the Law, not mind reading. I chose to shut up and go back to target shooting.

You missed the second half. Then wave your arms vigorously up and down and fly away. Police cars are too heavy to get off the ground. Problem solved.

It's what my HS band teacher used to keep the trumpets in line years ago. We were basically a woodwind/string ensemble by Senior Yr.

Best misspelling evah!

HoldHard
09-10-2012, 11:45
Gun store on the north side of 8 Mile, which is the boundary for Detroit.

"Yo, you gots a hos'ter fo' dis?"

He pulled a loaded gun (Jennings or Raven or some other POS) from his waistband, sweeping me and my son and then pointed it at the clerk.

We took a route to the door that had metal display stands between the "customer" and ourselves. My body currently has the correct number of holes in it. Don't need any more, thank you.

HH

Bren
09-10-2012, 13:05
Gun store on the north side of 8 Mile, which is the boundary for Detroit.

"Yo, you gots a hos'ter fo' dis?"

He pulled a loaded gun (Jennings or Raven or some other POS) from his waistband, sweeping me and my son and then pointed it at the clerk.

We took a route to the door that had metal display stands between the "customer" and ourselves. My body currently has the correct number of holes in it. Don't need any more, thank you.

HH

Every gun shop has a bunch of stories like that - that's why most have "no loaded gun" or similar signs. I recall, at one store here, employees talking about a guy who had an AR-15 he wanted to sell. Broght it in with the bolt closed and seleector on "fire." Round in the chamber, of course. Another proved his .44 magnum was unloaded by blowing a hole through a cabinet beside the salesman on the other side of the counter. Don't recall what those customers may have "said."

SC Tiger
09-10-2012, 14:09
A guy (potential customer) was looking at a clone of an H&K 91 and said that the S and F on the receiver were for "Slow" and "Fast." Same guy also asked about Night Snipes.

Two more that I actually agreed with:

"A Taurus has a lifetime warranty, and you will probably need it."

"This is the Ruger .480 Alaskan. Next year's model comes with a wheeled carriage."

SC Tiger
09-10-2012, 14:12

My dad hates the 9mm but his take on it was that a pistol is pretty much useless in combat anyway so it doesn't make much difference. (He was a 1Lt with the 9th Infantry Division in Vietnam).

John Galt
09-10-2012, 14:12

I thought it was because the US military decided to switch from .45 ACP to the standard NATO pistol caliber in the 1980s................:dunno:

No, a wounded soldier doesn't. Priority one is killing the enemy so that you can tend to your soldiers better without dying yourself.

Apparently people think I'm an idiot. Common mistake. :supergrin:

I understand these things, my comment was something someone would say in a gun shop.

Perhaps I should have used a :rofl: instead of a :dunno:

Roering
09-10-2012, 14:16
"You should NEVER store ammunition on its side" :wavey:

Roering
09-10-2012, 14:20
I heard a person say that they wanted to buy a gun but wouldn't shoot it. They just wanted one in case they ever needed it but didn't want to ever shoot it.

WTF?

Sounds like they were looking for a Kimber :rofl::rofl:

Kilrain
09-10-2012, 14:35
"You should NEVER store ammunition on its side" :wavey:

Did they say what happened if you did? To quote the robbery suspect from Dirty Harry, "I gots to know!"

GlockinNJ
09-10-2012, 14:40
I was at the range with a newbie friend. I brought my CZ-75 with me. My friend wanted to rent a gun that was new to him and pointed to an EAA Witness in 9mm in the rental case.

I said to my friend: "Don't rent that, you can save money and shoot my CZ - it's similar."

The range chick behind the counter heard me and said: "This is nothing like a CZ-75."

I said: "Uh, yeah, it pretty much is."

She argued with me and said: "No. It's completely different."

Realizing this chick was too moronic to argue with, I let it go. My friend rented the Witness and when we got in the range, I showed him my CZ and he said "yeah, it's pretty much the same."

Andy W
09-10-2012, 15:10
Why be sorry for taking the opportunity to hop up and down like a Dem delegate about an obvious (to those within one SD of normal) joke?

You wanna go out back and settle this for good? Oh wait... we're on the internet :tongueout:

Glock&KimberLady
09-10-2012, 15:15
"Women aren't big enough to be shooting .45s", after being told I had, in fact, qualified with a 1911 for my CCW in California. He then went on trying to show me a Bersa Thunder. /sigh/ I just wanted .45 ammo. Idaho. There's a sharp divide in men up here...the ones whose wives go hunting with them, and the ones whose wives are scrapbookers and stay outta the way. I believe this guy was the latter.

However, when I bought my Colt MKIV Series 70 at a different gun store, the owner said, "That's a kickass gun. You'll love it." Smart man.

As far as the 9mm versus .45 argument....I own both and have finally given up on the debate. I figure guns are like cars or sports teams...some people will argue to the death to prove that their favorite is the only good one. I can give pros and cons for both, and even up the ante with +p and +p+ rounds, but it's pointless.

Usually now I just come in, ask for what I need, and get the hell out as fast as I can before some well-meaning bystander decides to school me on the ins and outs of firearms. :upeyes: (Cabela's has a lot of those well-meaning bystanders)

SouthpawG26
09-10-2012, 15:19
"So, can I fire these Glocks undah watah fo'real o' what?"

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 15:19
"Women aren't big enough to be shooting .45s", after being told I had, in fact, qualified with a 1911 for my CCW in California. He then went on trying to show me a Bersa Thunder. /sigh/ I just wanted .45 ammo. Idaho. There's a sharp divide in men up here...the ones whose wives go hunting with them, and the ones whose wives are scrapbookers and stay outta the way. I believe this guy was the latter.

However, when I bought my Colt MKIV Series 70 at a different gun store, the owner said, "That's a kickass gun. You'll love it." Smart man.

As far as the 9mm versus .45 argument....I own both and have finally given up on the debate. I figure guns are like cars or sports teams...some people will argue to the death to prove that their favorite is the only good one. I can give pros and cons for both, and even up the ante with +p and +p+ rounds, but it's pointless.

Usually now I just come in, ask for what I need, and get the hell out as fast as I can before some well-meaning bystander decides to school me on the ins and outs of firearms. :upeyes: (Cabela's has a lot of those well-meaning bystanders)

You sound anti-social, should probably get help for that.

vart
09-10-2012, 15:20
Why go to gun shops?

I get better prices on EVERYTHING online. I don't have to deal with someone too dumb to make more than $8 an hour working in a gun shop. I don't have to deal with the loud boasting and idiotic statements that one will hear in every gun shop...

Glock&KimberLady
09-10-2012, 15:24

According to the GT braintrust, I am also hypo-manic, manic-depressive and I forget the other one, but I probably need help for those too.

Because, you know, everyone aspires to be normal...

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 15:26
According to the GT braintrust, I am also hypo-manic, manic-depressive and I forget the other one, but I probably need help for those too.

Well we want nothing more to do with you until you're boring as everyone else!

smokin762
09-10-2012, 15:40
Well we want nothing more to do with you until you're boring as everyone else!

She is just posting how she views her own experiences. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Besides, anybody that owns a Colt MKIV 70 Series can’t be half bad. I used to own one. :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 15:42
http://i.imgur.com/cIqe9.jpg

bmoore
09-10-2012, 15:50
two weeks ago....

Quite possibly one of the most stupid comments I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Wow, i mean just wow. I'm gonna go bang my head on the concrete.

Glock&KimberLady
09-10-2012, 15:51
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Normal people don't kill turkeys in their side yards. I guess you should add homicidal animal cruelty to my list of fixes...

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 15:51
Crazy people shouldn't own guns.

M&P Shooter
09-10-2012, 15:52
I was at Delia's Gun Shop in Northeast Philadelphia years ago and there's a bunch of retired cops that hang in there and all carry 1911's. So I walk in and ask to see a CZ 75B 9mm that was in the case used for $400 when one of these guys sitting in a beach chair drinking coffee form a Remington mug:rofl: says "If you want to kill a attacker you wont do it with that 9mm" I told him if that was true then a German soldier never killed a single GI with his Luger. This ballistic master replies "Your probably right"

I bought the CZ and they wouldn't even say goodbye to me, they were angry:rofl:

DanaT
09-10-2012, 16:06

Normal people don't kill turkeys in their side yards. I guess you should add homicidal animal cruelty to my list of fixes...

Or I could add "Chef"

railfancwb
09-10-2012, 16:06

Actually wounding is preferred to killing in some military encounters. A dead enemy is...well...dead. A wounded enemy is someone who needs medical attention and thus can divert other enemy troops to provide this attention.

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 16:10
Actually wounding is preferred to killing in some military encounters. A dead enemy is...well...dead. A wounded enemy is someone who needs medical attention and thus can divert other enemy troops to provide this attention.

Oh my holy god stop it with this stupid bull****!

chewybaca67
09-10-2012, 16:30
All them gun counter guys make the libs almost look like they know what they're talking about.

Andy W
09-10-2012, 16:33
I was at Delia's Gun Shop in Northeast Philadelphia years ago and there's a bunch of retired cops that hang in there and all carry 1911's. So I walk in and ask to see a CZ 75B 9mm that was in the case used for $400 when one of these guys sitting in a beach chair drinking coffee form a Remington mug:rofl: says "If you want to kill a attacker you wont do it with that 9mm" I told him if that was true then a German soldier never killed a single GI with his Luger. This ballistic master replies "Your probably right"

I bought the CZ and they wouldn't even say goodbye to me, they were angry:rofl:

I don't understand why some people are so opinionated about this stuff to the point where they get mad that someone else buys/carries a gun other than what they like. You should have told them that at least your CZ will make it through a day at the range without an FTF and it will feed whatever ammo you put in it.

smokin762
09-10-2012, 16:33
http://i.imgur.com/cIqe9.jpg

That okay Private Parts. I have my own rock. :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 16:35
That okay Private Parts. I have my own rock. :supergrin:

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/7/2010/08/crack-cocaine.jpeg

smokin762
09-10-2012, 16:56
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/7/2010/08/crack-cocaine.jpeg

You got me. What can I say. You did your homework. :thumbsup::wedgie:

NeverMore1701
09-10-2012, 17:05
Care to share?

gwalchmai
09-10-2012, 17:05
You wanna go out back and settle this for good? Oh wait... we're on the internet :tongueout:I'm actually posting from out back... :supergrin:

*ASH*
09-10-2012, 17:27
i completely give up on gun shops , i pretty much stop at the door and take a few breaths ,close eyes for a second then enter because i know of what stupidity comes forth .

fusegsp
09-10-2012, 18:01
I saw a good one a few weeks ago. A guy was buying his first 1911 and the salesman was showing him how to disassemble it. The salesman proceeds to lose control of the recoil spring plug after he turned the bushing and the plug and recoil spring shot out and rolled to God knows where. That's not the bad part. That could happen to anybody. The part I find funny is that the salesman tries to cover up his mistake by saying, " Let me tell you why that happened...." He seemed to be implying that he did it on purpose for this guys benefit.

Roering
09-10-2012, 18:23
Did they say what happened if you did? To quote the robbery suspect from Dirty Harry, "I gots to know!"

The powder will settle on one side of the case causing the bullet to fire at an angle and result in a "miss".

Kilrain
09-10-2012, 18:47
The powder will settle on one side of the case causing the bullet to fire at an angle and result in a "miss".

That was worth the wait.....thanks for the follow up.

PettyOfficer
09-10-2012, 19:43

Lol... I lurked on that thread.

FireForged
09-10-2012, 20:21
i completely give up on gun shops , i pretty much stop at the door and take a few breaths ,close eyes for a second then enter because i know of what stupidity comes forth .

hahahahahah!:supergrin:

Glockdude1
09-10-2012, 20:29
'Is that legal???"

Glock&KimberLady
09-10-2012, 20:29
Lol... I lurked on that thread.

Yes, those two threads had wanna-be shrink GTers scrambling for their DSM IV...

:tempted:

Glockworks
09-11-2012, 03:04
Now why would one want to scare the person who blows a bugle?

:dunno:

Peace Warrior
09-11-2012, 03:30

I could add something about industrial peroxide and ridding flesh from bones :whistling:, but alas, I think believe NeverMore1701's disambiguation on GKL was spot on.

*True story alert* OTOH, I know of a pretty famous/well known 'scrapbooker' that actually started taking photos of her husband who had just fallen from the roof and had, IIRC, broken his leg. One of the paramedics, after finding out she was married to their patient, and after watching her snap pictures for several minutes asked a two word sentence, "Scrapbooker huh?," to which the women replied, "Yeah, how'd you know?" The paramedic replied back, "I'm from Utah lady." :supergrin: :wavey:

harleypilot
09-11-2012, 04:09

:rofl: Now that's funny.

frizz
09-11-2012, 04:17
I think this just might be true.

D'oh! Stupid spellcheck.

gwalchmai
09-11-2012, 04:32
The powder will settle on one side of the case causing the bullet to fire at an angle and result in a "miss".I have it on very good authority (ex-SEAL and former Green Beret) that the powder laying on its side exposes much more surface area to the primer's spark (really) and this can result in a detonation. I was too scared to ask the obvious question.

Jake Starr
09-11-2012, 06:13
All them gun counter guys make the libs almost look like they know what they're talking about.

It all depends upon which side of the counter that you are standing.

Lots of great shooters and customers out there. I learn something new about guns, ammo and shooting everyday from my clients.

Lots of idiots out there too, as in any line of business. Except we don't sell toasters but rather firearms. So I expect more...but have been disappointed to no end.

I have been muzzled so many times that if I was walking down the street and a guy jumps out and points a gun at me, I think I would merely sweep it aside and tell him to point that thing in a safe direction.

rockapede
09-11-2012, 06:29

You ever experienced Reveille? There've been times I'd almost like to shoot the bugler.

wwcadre
09-11-2012, 06:32
The guy behind the counter: "Alloy frame pistols are not meant to be shot a lot. Those frames wear out after a few hundred rounds".

I told him he better call the DOD and all the law enforcement agencies that use Sigs and Berettas to let them know that fact.

These people really hurt my head.

ilgunguygt
09-11-2012, 07:02
have it on very good authority (ex-SEAL and former Green Beret) that the powder laying on its side exposes much more surface area to the primer's spark (really) and this can result in a detonation. I was too scared to ask the obvious question.

yeah..........no.

TheExplorer
09-11-2012, 07:07
Or not say. Best was watching a gun buyer use an interpreter to buy and fill out paperwork. Lovely.

Dennis in MA
09-11-2012, 07:19

Chronically forgetful is the 3rd. We forgive you. :rofl:

DanaT
09-11-2012, 07:28
I have it on very good authority (ex-SEAL and former Green Beret) that the powder laying on its side exposes much more surface area to the primer's spark (really) and this can result in a detonation. I was too scared to ask the obvious question.

No to be mr obvious..

You do realize that "green berets" are Army and SEALs are Navy?

What make a soldier qualified to talk about flame front advancement in power? How did he do this? High speed cameras in test chambers?

darkparadox
09-11-2012, 08:12
me: Can you stop pointing that gun at me please?

jackass: its unloaded

Dennis in MA
09-11-2012, 08:21
No to be mr obvious..

What make a soldier qualified to talk about flame front advancement in power? How did he do this? High speed cameras in test chambers?

I'm sure Gwally does. The Ex Green Seal with a Beret at the LGS probably didn't.

gwalchmai
09-11-2012, 09:21
No to be mr obvious..

You do realize that "green berets" are Army and SEALs are Navy?Why, yes. Yes I do. But who am I to question his claims?

Actually, the "obvious question" part was that most guns are horizontal when you fire them...

MrGlock21
09-11-2012, 09:24

Yep. Here is one, off duty.

HKLovingIT
09-11-2012, 09:40

Unless he's wearing his hat. Then it's otay! :supergrin:

Gen4 Fan
09-11-2012, 09:48
"They shoot straighter with the bayonet attached." It was some crappy MN and the counter guy let the idiot traipse through the store with a bayonet on his rifle. I asked the RM, "Range is only 25 yards...how straight does it have to be?"

This is a bit off topic, but reminded me of something.

During bayonet training in the army, the drill instructor
told us "If your bayonet gets stuck, just pull the trigger
and blow the guy off it".

I raised my hand and asked "If we still had bullets, why would we be using a bayonet?".

40 pushups later....

informationjunky
09-11-2012, 09:54
I worked at a gun shop in Huntsville AL a LONG time ago. I watched in horror as a idiot new co-worker handed a bigger idiot customer a unfired Colt SA. Customer proceeds to cock and spin cylinder several times and then roll the cylinder up and down his arm. I thought the owner of the shop was going to have a heart attack.

Every time I'm in a shop there seems to be at least on guy picking up very other gun and dry firing it over and over.

DanaT
09-11-2012, 09:56

Makes me want to go to Germany and drink some beer.

JoeCitizen
09-11-2012, 10:55
"That gun right there, you'll never have to clean it. It's stainless steel."

JoeCitizen
09-11-2012, 10:57
Makes me want to go to Germany and drink some beer.

Makes me want to go to Germany and watch pretty blonde women with large half-exposed chests drink beer. After a couple tankards like the one she's hoisting even I would look good to them.

DanaT
09-11-2012, 11:07
Makes me want to go to Germany and watch pretty blonde women with large half-exposed chests drink beer. After a couple tankards like the one she's hoisting even I would look good to them.

You talked me into it. I will go there next week. Oktoberfest starts on the 22nd of Sept.

DanaT
09-11-2012, 11:10
After a couple tankards like the one she's hoisting even I would look good to them.

This is a misconception. German women have special genes that prevent them from getting drunk when drinking beer.

Glotin
09-11-2012, 13:18
yeah..........no.

No to be mr obvious..

You both fail sarcasm.

me: Can you stop pointing that gun at me please?

jackass: its unloaded

I don't go to gun shops too often, I usually buy online, but this has happened to me at the range and even in the car, I ended up staring down the barrel of a Tomcat. So not only were they pointing a gun at my head, but they were carrying .32 ACP... turns out we're not friends anymore.

Hooah!
09-11-2012, 13:48
It's actually pretty scary some of the things you hear.

frank_drebin
09-11-2012, 14:16
At one of the local shops there is this girl that works behind the counter. She gets bored and pulls guns off the shelf, puts pencils in the barrel and shoots them at other employees and they all laugh about it. Nobody has ever told her not to do that apparently and I've seen it a half dozen times now.

michael_b
09-11-2012, 14:37

:rofl: oh my

michael_b
09-11-2012, 14:39
Oh my holy god stop it with this stupid bull****!

Deep breaths, deep breaths.... Try and relax....

This is a bit off topic, but reminded me of something.

During bayonet training in the army, the drill instructor
told us "If your bayonet gets stuck, just pull the trigger
and blow the guy off it".

I raised my hand and asked "If we still had bullets, why would we be using a bayonet?".

40 pushups later....

NeverMore1701
09-11-2012, 14:44
It just never stops.

gwalchmai
09-11-2012, 15:17
At one of the local shops there is this girl that works behind the counter. She gets bored and pulls guns off the shelf, puts pencils in the barrel and shoots them at other employees and they all laugh about it. Nobody has ever told her not to do that apparently and I've seen it a half dozen times now.Yeah, you can put an eye out doing that.

maxmanta
09-11-2012, 15:31

Certain exceptions apply.

On a related note, 5.56 was chosen because not only does it get the job done but the individual soldier can carry twice as much of it. Fire superiority wins, not necessarily the size of the rounds going down range.

I'm happy with the switch away from the 1911. Those things were beaten to hell and back... much like the M9's are now after over a decade at war. And, they weren't being replaced.

The design's almost 110 years old, and at the time was already about 80 years old. Innovation has been made. We even have airplanes now, that can fly across the seas and refuel without landing!

So, the 1911's were beaten to hell and back after 110 years, and you say the M9's are beaten to hell and back after only ten?

The M9 is based on a design that is well over 60 years old, now. And if the 1911 is so outdated, then why is almost every major gun company offering their version of it?

maxmanta
09-11-2012, 16:21
A guy (potential customer) was looking at a clone of an H&K 91 and said that the S and F on the receiver were for "Slow" and "Fast." Same guy also asked about Night Snipes.

Two more that I actually agreed with:

"A Taurus has a lifetime warranty, and you will probably need it."

"This is the Ruger .480 Alaskan. Next year's model comes with a wheeled carriage."

Most people are smart enough to understand that they don't know what SEF stands for on a German made gun.

maxmanta
09-11-2012, 16:24
I was at the range with a newbie friend. I brought my CZ-75 with me. My friend wanted to rent a gun that was new to him and pointed to an EAA Witness in 9mm in the rental case.

I said to my friend: "Don't rent that, you can save money and shoot my CZ - it's similar."

The range chick behind the counter heard me and said: "This is nothing like a CZ-75."

I said: "Uh, yeah, it pretty much is."

She argued with me and said: "No. It's completely different."

Realizing this chick was too moronic to argue with, I let it go. My friend rented the Witness and when we got in the range, I showed him my CZ and he said "yeah, it's pretty much the same."

I get into this argument all the time. There are differences, but you have to detail strip both guns to notice them. The main difference is the mainspring. On the CZ, it runs down the back of the grip. On an EAA, it fits into a hole drilled into the frame in front of the hammer. I've heard of EAA using better steel, but I cannot confirm this.

maxmanta
09-11-2012, 16:31
I have it on very good authority (ex-SEAL and former Green Beret) that the powder laying on its side exposes much more surface area to the primer's spark (really) and this can result in a detonation. I was too scared to ask the obvious question.

Don't SEALS and Green Berets represent two different branches of service? Is there alot of movement between the Navy and Army?

cpham9006
09-11-2012, 17:19
I have one.

One day I was at the LGS and I overhear two guys talking...

Guy 1: Look at these glocks..
Guy 2: Glocks are trash. The shell casings will hit you in your face.
Guy 1: Looks at these XDM's!

Green_Manelishi
09-11-2012, 17:22

Green_Manelishi
09-11-2012, 17:25
This was not in a shop, but in the cellar of a house in which I used to live:

An acquaintance (copper) had asked to see a particular (a SIG 220, IIRC) pistol.

I checked it, locked back the slide, handed it to the guy.

He slammed the slide forward, pulled the trigger several times and asked "is this gun loaded?"

I responded "Damned if I know. Pull the trigger again, a few times, and find out."

Green_Manelishi
09-11-2012, 17:28

Despite what the apologists claim, Allah is NOT the same as God/Yahweh/Jehovah.

Tony 600r
09-11-2012, 17:34
I went to the Gander Mountain in Eden Prairie, MN. They call it "Gun World", and it's supposedly the biggest gun store in MN. Not sure about that...

The guy behind the counter suggested that a Compact Glock is SMALLER than a SUBcompact. I politely disagreed, but he persisted. I just brushed it off and said, "Yea, OK". Needless to say, I didn't buy anything from that toolbox. I ended up getting my Glock 26 for almost $200 cheaper from a small local dealer.

Small Local Businesses FTW!!

Roering
09-11-2012, 17:43

This would explain why people fire up into the air I guess.

Halojumper
09-11-2012, 17:43
Despite what the apologists claim, Allah is NOT the same as God/Yahweh/Jehovah.

Do you really think there are multiple entities or the same one that different people perceive differently, of course will all the other groups/people thinking they are wrong.

Green_Manelishi
09-11-2012, 18:00
Do you really think there are multiple entities or the same one that different people perceive differently, of course will all the other groups/people thinking they are wrong.

Discussing this subject with folks like you is as pointless as discussing beer, and whisky, with a person who dislikes beer and whisky.

Halojumper
09-11-2012, 18:07
Discussing this subject with folks like you is as pointless as discussing beer, and whisky, with a person who dislikes beer and whisky.

What do you mean by folks like you?

gwalchmai
09-11-2012, 18:17
Don't SEALS and Green Berets represent two different branches of service? Is there alot of movement between the Navy and Army?
Not much gets past you, does it, Max?

PettyOfficer
09-11-2012, 18:56
In before the lock

boomhower
09-11-2012, 20:53
So, the 1911's were beaten to hell and back after 110 years, and you say the M9's are beaten to hell and back after only ten?

The M9 is based on a design that is well over 60 years old, now. And if the 1911 is so outdated, then why is almost every major gun company offering their version of it?

I think what he was saying is that the 1911's that were in use were beaten to hell from years of service and needed to be replaced. Now after a few wars in the sandbox the M9's are beaten to hell. What have we learned? Guns get beat up in the military. It's not even work arguing about. Everyone knows they use hardball so you want the biggest hole you can get, they don't have the benefits of modern 9mm HP's. The end matter is sidearms are so rarely used it's not even funny. Those that have slightly more than a snowballs chance in hell of using them aren't carrying M9's anyways.

avenues165
09-11-2012, 23:26
My favorite was when I was looking at a beat up, way overpriced, used AKs and SKSs at a local gun shop. A sales person approached me, looking for the sale, and told me that if I was looking for accuracy in a rifle an AK-47 was WAY more accurate than an AR-15.:rofl:

I guess I should ditch my plan to to put together an upper for precision shooting. Should've bought that AK:crying:

Glock&KimberLady
09-11-2012, 23:45
:rofl: oh my

True story. Listening to "Die MFer Die" in my earbuds in lieu of earplugs, first used a knife, then two shots from a .45...

Clearly one of my more defining moments on GT.

uhlawpup
09-12-2012, 05:22

I deal with a blonde Swiss police officer from time to time, who moved here and took up the profession with our department.

I keep extra blood pressure pills with me for the days I see her in court...

jkglock32
09-12-2012, 08:14
worst comment in a gun store:

manager: dont tell people not to buy high points those are good guns and work just as good as a one of these high dollar guns

Employee: are you kidding me right now?

Manager: no i am not kidding you

Employee: so you would rather me sale a 150 dollar high point instead of getting the customer to spend more and get a glock or springer that is better quality for the customer.

Manger: it is all about what the customer wants not what you want for the customer!

DanaT
09-12-2012, 08:32
I deal with a blonde Swiss police officer from time to time, who moved here and took up the profession with our department.

I keep extra blood pressure pills with me for the days I see her in court...

I cant stand Schwyzerdütsch.. (dont understand more than 25%)

dbcooper
09-12-2012, 09:03

manager: dont tell people not to buy high points those are good guns and work just as good as a one of these high dollar guns

Employee: so you would rather me sale a 150 dollar high point instead of getting the customer to spend more and get a glock or springer that is better quality for the customer.

Manger: it is all about what the customer wants not what you want for the customer!

I overheard a counter guy tell a customer " With the Glock you're really just paying for the name, we have some guns in the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range that are just as good if not better."

SC Tiger
09-12-2012, 09:57
Most people are smart enough to understand that they don't know what SEF stands for on a German made gun.

I don't think the rifle was German - it was a Century Arms (I think) clone.

soflasmg
09-12-2012, 10:21

They also like AKs when on assignment as Marine snipers (in between SEAL and Green Beret missions) because they can use M16 or AK ammo!

Andy W
09-12-2012, 10:33

The manager does have the right idea about customer service. I bet he would be a pleasure to do business with. A gun shop owner that will sell you whatever you want without any BS is pretty hard to come by.

meleors
09-12-2012, 10:35
I have been muzzled so many times that if I was walking down the street and a guy jumps out and points a gun at me, I think I would merely sweep it aside and tell him to point that thing in a safe direction.
:rofl: Now that's funny!

janice6
09-12-2012, 10:50

Simple physics (as in enema)

carlspeed
09-12-2012, 11:03
by a random jabroni while I was looking at the cheap guns in the used case, "oh you don't want that, best gun in the world is a sub compact taurus .45 I love mine"

I also saw a $50 price label on a 50 round box with .45 Colts inside it.

carlspeed
09-12-2012, 11:09

You work with her? I totally hate you right now.

dhgeyer
09-12-2012, 11:27
I've heard my share of silly statements in gun stores, but the story I will tell is more - well - telling. I witnessed an accidental discharge in a gun store.

It was about 30 years ago in a store near Buffalo, NY. Guy with a CCW pulls out his piece (snubby), unloads it, and hands it, cylinder swung out, to the clerk. The clerk is standing across the counter, which is fairly narrow as counters go, so they are standing maybe a bit over 2 feet apart. The counter is also relatively low at that point in the store. The clerk checks the gun. Then they have some conversation about some accessories or other for the gun. No sale takes place. The clerk hands the gun back to the owner, who loads it directly in front of the clerk. Problem is, they are standing so close that, with the gun held low while it is being reloaded, it is out of the peripheral vision of the clerk, so he doesn't see the reloading. More conversation takes place while the owner holds the gun. Then, for whatever reason, the clerk wants to look at the gun again. When the owner hands it back to him, he doesn't check it, because he just checked it himself a few minutes ago and ASSUMES it is safe. On a whim, he decides to check the double action pull, points it up at maybe a 40 degree angle, and pulls the trigger. It goes off, taking out a camp stove on the top shelf in one of the aisles. The store owner was not there at the time, and was never told about the incident. That clerk prayed for years that no one would ask to see the camp stove.

I say I witnessed this, but actually I was just walking into the store when the shot went off. Scared the bejeezus out of me and several other people, not the least of which was the clerk. I did get the whole story first hand and immediately, though.

I won't go into the many lessons to be learned from this, most of which are well known to most of us. I'll leave that to other commentators. I will point out that, for all the mistakes made, the clerk did one thing right: had the gun pointed in a safe direction, or as safe as possible, so no one was hurt or worse. That is why gun safety is based on multiple redundant levels of preventive behaviors.

bigred0383
09-12-2012, 13:27
At Gander Mountain:

Guy: What is the difference between this XD and Glock?
Clerk: Well the Glock is real popular, but the XD will last longer. That is because the XD is made of the steel, and the Glock is made of aluminum. Here (he points) in the slide. That's the biggest difference.
Guy: Oh, I didn't know that.

I just turned and walked away.

professorpinki
09-12-2012, 13:36
Forget it.

MAXG
09-12-2012, 14:25
A clerk in a local gun store once told me that they didn't carry .45 GAP ammunition because there wasn't sufficient room in the shorter cartridge for all the powder and therefore it was a weak round.

I had one tell me there was no such thing as .45 GAP. :wow:

I kid you not.

MG

Green_Manelishi
09-12-2012, 17:14
....the Glock is made of aluminum...

I don't suppose the store stocks the porcelain Glock 7?

Halojumper
09-12-2012, 18:10

I have to agree with the "manger" on this one.

Halojumper
09-12-2012, 18:15
I was at Gander one time and they had a used (like there would be any new ones) Hungarian pistol in 7.62 (the pistol 7.62). The clerk told a propective customer that it was the same as a 308.

Pete7072
09-12-2012, 19:22
My life in gun sales - YouTube

Every Time I hear Someone Speak at a gun shop... or post on a Gun related forum...

sfguard
09-12-2012, 20:04
I overheard a gunshop commando here in my town (kid by the way who claims to reload and shoot 5,000 rounds a day on a gun sales wage) telling someone that the best guns for CCW was a Desert Eagle 50 and it should be kept in the glove compartment. This is also the same kid who can shoot a golf ball off a tee at 200 yards with a pistol. While I haven't heard him say it I am sure he was also a SEAL, probably their Sniper.

Probably on the one man SWAT team here in town also. I am sure they call him when ever they can't handle something. Lincoln, if your on here YES I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU

nostalgiaguy
09-12-2012, 21:55
While working at the counter a guy walks in and When I ask to help him he states... "Yes Sthir I would like to buy a pithstl and two bullets please".

Also while working at onother shop ......
Lemme see that "gat" over there. I hand him the 870
He says to his friend. ... Dang Dawg this'll get em good tonight.

Needless to say I didnt make the sale on either of those cases.

Waboom!!
09-12-2012, 22:08
"Kimber makes the best 1911 on the market."

:rofl:Ha Ha!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NeverMore1701
09-12-2012, 22:58
A good fairly recent one at Gander Mountain, as I was handling at a Ruger 22/45:

"You don't hold those with two hands, you have to shoot 'em with one and the other on your hip, it's an old fashioned target pistol!"

mad.gunsmith
09-13-2012, 00:32
:popcorn:

Glockdude1
09-13-2012, 06:53
" I was a sniper in the gulf war."

I had no idea SO MANY snipers hang out at gun shops.

Hell, I had no idea the military had so many!!

gwalchmai
09-13-2012, 06:54
" I was a sniper in the gulf war."

I had no idea SO MANY snipers hang out at gun shops.

Hell, I had no idea the military had so many!!

:faint:Yep, they're as thick as paralegals at a carnival.

sarge83
09-13-2012, 07:24
Another customer standing beside me while I am looking at a 1911, "a .45 will knock a man down even if it hits him in the hand or grazes him, it's that powerful".

"it's not loaded why are you checking it?"

I was actually looking at a used S&W model 10 and the shop owner pulls out this Jennings .380 and says: "this Jennings .380 is a great gun everybody wants one and the .380 will stop a bad guy everytime, it's yours for only $200 plus tax" I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at him.

libarts.tech
09-13-2012, 08:58
I went to H&H in Oklahoma City specifically looking to see if they carried Speer Gold Dot 124gr 9mm +P ammo. The guy who helped me tried to sell me on Hornady critical defense, claiming that because the Gold Dots don't have a plug, they will not expand on impact. In his words: "You might as well be shooting a full metal jacket."

He tried to have me thrown out of the store for telling him that he's full of sh**.

HoldHard
09-13-2012, 09:27
Why go to gun shops?For the entertainment... of course. :rofl:

HH

NH Trucker
09-13-2012, 09:57
I went into my LGS and asked to see one of the small locking pistol boxes behind the counter. As he's handing it to me, the guy says "That'll delay you just long enough for you to get killed."

I told him, "Since it'll be in my suitcase, in the cargo hold of an airplane, I'm sure the lock will be the least of the issues delaying me from getting to the gun."

At another LGS, the guy behind the counter was trying to sell another person on Ruger. The customer was asking about different Glock pistols, and the sales person told him to not bother with them because they are always blowing up. When asked about an XD, he dismissed them as inferior because they're made in Croatia. He then went back over to the Rugers to pull another model to show the customer. He couldn't praise the Rugers enough. He loves them so much, he wasn't shy about boasting about how he has sold so many of them that Ruger has given him free stuff, including a couple of guns...

tat2guy
09-13-2012, 10:26
I had a gun store commando working the door on a busy day at a local shop see my NRA Life Member patch on my jacket stand up and salute me, in seriousness, for real. I said, "at ease", and he sat back down...

I was in a store in Philly once that has been linked to an astonishingly high percentage of recovered "crime guns"- pretty shady place all around. There was a representative of a holster company in there (I THINK it was DeSantis, but I'm not 100% on that) and he was trying to convince the owner to stock his holsters. The shop guy said, "most of our customers aren't interested in expensive holsters". The holster guy, realizing he wasn't making a deal that day, looked around and asked, "How much is that GLOCK 17?" The guy answered some absurdly high price, like $650 or something... There was a beat, and then holster guy said, "so... your customers don't come here for the prices..."
That's when I started laughing and had to leave...

GeneralSnafu
09-13-2012, 11:31

And, what is wrong with a Chinese AK-47? I have a pre-ban (Norinco) Polytech Legend that is an absolute tack driver. It has never jammed or given me a single problem. You should be so lucky as to get your hands on one of these.

infiniti0505
09-13-2012, 11:56
I just went to Bass Pro to look at a G17 and asked the gentlemen to take a look at one of their 3rd gens. He replies, "why? Glock suck". I told him I really don't want to have this dabate with the uneducated. Im really becoming annoyed with gun store employees lately.

Glockdude1
09-13-2012, 12:23
Teenage Airsoft enthusiast: "How do we go about registering this?"

FFL Dealer: "The air rifle?"

Teenage Airsoft enthusiast: "Yeah we have to register rifles right?"

FFL Dealer: "No."

Cracked me up.

The dealer should have told him to start the process, he would need a note from his mother first........

badge315
09-13-2012, 13:08
I don't suppose the store stocks the porcelain Glock 7?

So what if they did? It costs more than you make in a month. :supergrin:

I once had a gun store owner try and convince me that the well-used Taurus PT92 in his case was worth more than my like-new Sig P220 because the market was flooded with Sigs. :upeyes:

jkglock32
09-13-2012, 14:05
I have to agree with the "manger" on this one.

i didnt say i agreed with either one, the reason why i told this story was because i thought it to be inappropriate for a manager and employee to be arguing in front of a customer.

SouthpawG26
09-13-2012, 14:49
"it's not loaded why are you checking it?"

The really sad part of this is that I hear this a lot. Also at the range.

SmithietheFox
09-13-2012, 17:16
Y2K scare- December 1999...guy comes in and buys 5k rounds of 7.62 NATO. Came back the next day and said "these won't fit in my SKS." Then proceeded to purchase an M1A Supermatch to accommodate said ammo.

Glockdude1
09-13-2012, 17:24

Slide comes back, live round pops out. The next thing you hear is, "I took the clip out, I thought it was unloaded...... :steamed:

I have seen this happen too many times......

WoodenPlank
09-13-2012, 21:03
Counter-jocley at Bass Pro: I saw a YouTube video of them testing the PDX1 for the Judge. It knocked a 200 pound dummy back 15 feet when they shot it.

(Me: So, what happened to the guy that pulled the trigger?)

S.Dewey
09-14-2012, 00:45
I was once asked for my CCW, when I handed him my Badge he informed me that it doesn't count because LEO's do not go through the training or back ground checks that CCW's do.

Glockdude1
09-14-2012, 07:48
I was once asked for my CCW, when I handed him my Badge he informed me that it doesn't count because LEO's do not go through the training or back ground checks that CCW's do.

Please tell me what your response was to the clerk.........

sarge83
09-14-2012, 08:10

I went into one shop and asked to look at a rifle and the guy behind the counter opened the bolt and checked, closed it and handed to me. I opened the bolt and checked myself and he said I am so glad you did that. I said just a habit I have and he said we had another employee who took a rifle in trade, never checked it, put a price tag on it, put it in the system and shelved it.

A customer came in a week or two later and asked to see the rifle. Same employee didn't check and customer didn't and he pulled the trigger and shot out nice hole through the wall, thankfully nobody was hurt.

Result customer and employee about crapped themselves, employee chewed out repeatedly and intense training on making sure a firearm is not loaded coming off the shelf and going back on the shelf by employees.

WilliamDahl
09-14-2012, 10:23
"Here, this one's ready to go" as the dude handed me a rental G19 with the slide locked back and a round visible at the top of the mag.

I said "Um, sir, did you mean to hand me this loaded gun?"

He grabbed the gun from my extended hand and blustered "Those damn idiots on the night shift are supposed to check this stuff!"

I agreed with him...

I had a cop once hand me back a loaded Winchester 1300 Defender after he *thought* he had unloaded it. He handed it back to me with a round in the chamber and the safety off. I don't remember how many he also left in the mag either. I guess he wasn't expecting a pistol grip shotgun to hold that many rounds.

ctfireman
09-14-2012, 13:43
Slide comes back, live round pops out. The next thing you hear is, "I took the clip out, I thought it was unloaded...... :steamed:

I have seen this happen too many times......

Just had a local kid die bc he put his glock to his head & pulled the trigger to prove it was unloaded. He dropped the mag but didn't check the chamber.

http://www.ctpost.com/policereports/article/Ex-football-player-dies-in-accidental-shooting-3865149.php

gwalchmai
09-14-2012, 13:47
Dang, ctfireman, that's just sad.

Green_Manelishi
09-14-2012, 13:48
Just had a local kid die bc he put his glock to his head & pulled the trigger to prove it was unloaded. He dropped the mag but didn't check the chamber.

http://www.ctpost.com/policereports/article/Ex-football-player-dies-in-accidental-shooting-3865149.php

Dixon, who had obtained his pistol permit about fire or six months ago, could have been under the mistaken impression that the weapon he was holding had a magazine disconnect safety, which makes the gun inoperable when the magazine is removed.

To my knowledge Glocks have never had a disconnect safety. Even if they did, putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger to prove its emptiness is as dumb as dumb can be.

okie
09-14-2012, 13:52

I've heard that a few times also:shocked::faint:

gwalchmai
09-14-2012, 13:53
To my knowledge Glocks have never had a disconnect safety. Even if they did, putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger to prove its emptiness is as dumb as dumb can be.I agree, but it's so sad that so many people are never taught that fundamental principle.

ctfireman
09-14-2012, 13:55
I agree, but it's so sad that so many people are never taught that fundamental principle.

It's sad, & the kid overcame alot in his life. But you can't teach common sense.

GlockinNJ
09-14-2012, 14:01
OK, this thread was pretty entertaining for a while, but just got really dark and sad.

Can we get back to making fun of stupid people who merely suffered embarassment for their actions?

maxmanta
09-14-2012, 14:27
Y2K scare- December 1999...guy comes in and buys 5k rounds of 7.62 NATO. Came back the next day and said "these won't fit in my SKS." Then proceeded to purchase an M1A Supermatch to accommodate said ammo.

Sounds more like he was looking for an excuse to buy the M1A.

aaron
09-14-2012, 14:34
Best thing I heard was a salesman say to a woman inquiring about a Taurus "I wouldn't recommend any Taurus".

rockapede
09-14-2012, 14:58
Best thing I heard was a salesman say to a woman inquiring about a Taurus "I wouldn't recommend any Taurus".

Makes sense to me, although, as a salesman you give the customer what they want.

Cream Soda Kid
09-14-2012, 15:45
While waiting for my background check to finish , another customer waiting on his own background check asked me. “What are you buying?” I told him, and asked “how about you?” He said; “a Ruger Mini-30”.

I saw that he had a hand basket with several boxes of Fusion 308 Win. I asked him if the ammo was for his new Mini-30. He said yes. I told him, politely, that it was the wrong ammunition for his Ruger. He said “No, it’s the right ammo.” He pointed at the box where it said; 308 Win. (7.62x51mm). I told him “I think you need 7.62x39, that ammo won’t fit in your Ruger.

He rolled his eyes and told his wife/girl friend; “some guys just don’t know much”. I just walked away.

RyanBDawg
09-14-2012, 16:32

I would love to own a gunstore specifically for these idiots.

Imagine how much is going to be made this year before December 21st!

S.Dewey
09-14-2012, 17:30

Please tell me what your response was to the clerk.........

The clerk that I was dealing with was just a kid, it was his boss who responded. The whole time he was telling me this he was glaring at me. I told him that his statement doesn't make sense to me and to please elaborate. He then proceeded to tell me that it's the store policies and if I didn't like it I could go somewhere else. As you can imagine I wont be going into that store again.

Fritz1
09-14-2012, 18:45

Sind Sie heiss?

brokenprism
09-14-2012, 23:04
We need to start a thread about the dumb things you hear on forums.

platform
09-14-2012, 23:09
"Yes, from now on -- to shoot in at our range -- you must buy ammo from us.
It is very similar to how you do not go to a restaurant and bring your own meal"

this was the policy of all gun shops in Palm beach county since 2000, but I think as of late they have stopped...

The guy forgot to mention that restaurants -- do not by frozen food from grocery store and serve it at your table at double the price (except the drinks) -- so his equivalance between a shooting range and a restaurant was dubious

Glockdude1
09-14-2012, 23:30
We need to start a thread about the dumb things you hear on forums.

Do a search for GT member Alfred10