Upcoming San Antonio December Shoot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming San Antonio December Shoot

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 07:10
Any shooters here going to the match? I just received my GSSF paperwork back and signed up for my first shoot! I'll only be able to shoot Saturday due to my work schedule, but I'm already excited. Plan to shoot my Gen 4 21.

Ranger54
09-09-2012, 08:44
Yes, I will be at the match, been shooting GSSF for several years now, Texas matches, one in Louisianna last year. You should have no trouble shooting and finishing Saturday. I shoot 4 Divisions and always finish the first day. Only impact will be weather. Basically, to insure an early finish, be there bright and early Sat morn and be in line to get your stickers since you will be preregistered. Decide in advance what stage you would like to shoot FIRST. Immediately go to the other two stages and sign in. The go to the stage you want to shoot, sign in, X your name as ready and STAY. They call squads in the order of sign in. After shooting, go to the next stage and X your name and stay. Same for the third. This is described in the Glock Report and is followed pretty well at Blackhawk. Always arrive at a stage with mags loaded and ready to shoot. Feel free to ask questions, a good group here.

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 09:08
I know I want to shoot amatuer heavy metal with my 21. What else should I shoot. Is it set up well enough so that my wife/kids can watch me shoot? What other kind of stuff goes on there? I've never shot at Blackhawk since I live on the ne side of town, but I might make a trip out there one of these Saturdays just to check it out. Does any of the local group get together for shoots outside GSSF? If I understand it correctly, I'll shoot three different setups under each group?!

SARDG
09-09-2012, 09:33
I know I want to shoot amatuer heavy metal with my 21. What else should I shoot. Is it set up well enough so that my wife/kids can watch me shoot? ...If I understand it correctly, I'll shoot three different setups under each group?!
Amateur Civilian is the 'money' division that (nearly) everyone shoots and includes Special Recognition Categories. Check the registration form and see if you qualify for any of those. You could also shoot Competiton, Master Stock, and Unlimited - but you'll be up against guns better designed for those Divisions and in some cases more experienced competitors. At least shoot AmCiv along with your Heavy Metal.

There is always a place for your family to watch at these matches, but of course they will need ear and eye protection.

I'd suggest reading the rules in The Glock Report that you received AND THEN coming back online and ask about parts that aren't clear to you. Asking a rule question at a time online doesn't give you the entire picture that you need.

I drove 1150 miles last year to shoot San Antonio. That was nuts!

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 09:44
I drove 1150 miles last year to shoot San Antonio. That was nuts!

That is nuts! And thanks for the info. Just got my book yesterday so I'll read through it. After I get this shoot under my belt I'll start looking into doing some travelling to some other shoots! :)

SARDG
09-09-2012, 09:58
That is nuts! :)I kinda forgot that Texas is actually bigger than France, and driving through even a small part of it is like driving halfway to the moon. :shocked: Won't be doing that again... :supergrin:

Ranger54
09-09-2012, 12:14
But I will miss seeing you at the match Sardg.

+1 on the additional info.

Don At PC
09-09-2012, 13:12
But I will miss seeing you at the match Sardg.

+1 on the additional info.

Now don't give Miss Kitty the Big Head with flattery. :faint::embarassed:

I also plan on shooting this match. Bringing my wife along for a little road trip since she has never been to S.A.

Don

SARDG
09-09-2012, 13:29
Now don't give Miss Kitty the Big Head with flattery. :faint::embarassed:

I also plan on shooting this match. Bringing my wife along for a little road trip since she has never been to S.A.

Don
Man, this is a tough crowd sometimes... :phew:

Ya' going to go see the Alamo with your wife Don? Always a shocker after seeing the movie(s). :) I suppose you were at Lackland within your career.

k

Don At PC
09-09-2012, 13:36
Man, this is a tough crowd sometimes... :phew:

Ya' going to go see the Alamo with your wife Don? Always a shocker after seeing the movie(s). :) I suppose you were at Lackland within your career.

k

Yep, I plan on taking her to see the Alamo, The River Walk and hopefully a few other sites. Yep my Air Force Basic Training was at Lackland 51 years ago tomorrow. I have been out there I think 10 times to shoot their match. Have several friends out there.

Don

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 13:57
This looks like it's going to be fun. My wife is retired AF. I did one tour and then went into LE. Still workin for Uncle Sugar. :)

PettyOfficer
09-09-2012, 14:34
I just got my GSSF package yesterday but can't make it to SA, I have a charity half-marathon in December in Las Vegas. I was frustrated when I found out the marathon date, I've been looking to get my G17 and GSSF and head to SA all year (I'm in Houston).

Oh well, maybe one of the next year shoots.

We need one in Houston, it's a huge gun friendly city after all.

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 15:15
I'm surprised there's only 2 shoots in Texas at all. Kind of crazy for such a big place.

SARDG
09-09-2012, 15:59
This looks like it's going to be fun. My wife is retired AF. I did one tour and then went into LE. Still workin for Uncle Sugar. :)
Implications are that you could shoot Guardian. Being retired AF, your wife definitely could if she's a shooter and high female Guardian ($75) is a very doable win. There is somewhat less competition in Guardian as the primary occupiers of the Guardian division are cops... :whistling:

PettyOfficer
09-09-2012, 16:26
Implications are that you could shoot Guardian. Being retired AF, your wife definitely could if she's a shooter and high female Guardian ($75) is a very doable win. There is somewhat less competition in Guardian as the primary occupiers of the Guardian division are cops... :whistling:

Correct me if I'm wrong... Less shooters, but all regular gun carrying members of LEO should be more competition.

I'm a vet and work on NASA programs, does that qualify? (crossing fingers!).

In all seriousness, maybe a new thread or email to GSSF, but what constitutes the 'disabled' special category? I have a 10% VA disability, but the rule book has no clarification.

SARDG
09-09-2012, 17:14
Correct me if I'm wrong... Less shooters, but all regular gun carrying members of LEO should be more competition.

I'm a vet and work on NASA programs, does that qualify? (crossing fingers!).

In all seriousness, maybe a new thread or email to GSSF, but what constitutes the 'disabled' special category? I have a 10% VA disability, but the rule book has no clarification.
Sorry to say that LE do regularly carry guns, but few regularly train with those guns outside of their mandated training and qualifications. There are exceptions of course... (BamaTrooper :embarassed:), and another friend of mine who is his Department's Armorer and Firearms Instructor and hunts regularly. But talk to many LEOs and you'll find that their interest in guns often doesn't go beyond their holster. Check the average scores of Guardian vs. AmCiv and the winning scores of Special Categories within those and see how they stack up.

170.80 Definition of Guardian
• Generally speaking, those who are in a “hazardous
public service” position, their equivalents in private
industry, or eligible retirees thereof.
• The competitor is a full-time law enforcement officer
of a duly constituted agency of a municipal,
county, state or federal government, or is a full-time
firearms instructor in a law enforcement agency
or police academy. The competitor must provide
official, current identification from their agency if he
or she is a full-time civilian firearm instructor.
• The competitor is an officer of a reserve or auxiliary
unit of a law enforcement agency named above.
The appointing authority must authorize the competitor
to carry arms while on duty and authorizes
the competitor to perform the same law enforcement
functions and duties as full-time officers of
the agency. (Unarmed auxiliary members of law
enforcement agencies are not included.)
• The competitor is a member of any of the United
States Armed Services (Army, National Guard,
Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard) serving
active duty or in the reserves.
• The competitor is a full-time salaried railroad police
officer, penal institution guard, industrial police
officer, bank guard or armored/express company
guard who is armed while on duty.
• The competitor is a full-time or volunteer firefighter
or paramedic.
• The competitor is retired from any of the above positions
and receiving benefits from the organization.

You won't find much in the way of definitions for the 'Challenged' Category. I am also a 10% disabled Vet, but my disability is my hearing - so although that's technically "physically handicapped", it didn't quite seem to me to be what the rule drafters had in mind. You'll have to be your own judge when claiming Challenged.

Don At PC
09-09-2012, 17:29
I also have 10% VA Disability but unless you have to walk with a cane, wheel chair or that type of disability you don't qualify. Of course you could always send GSSF an email discribing your disability and see what they say.

Don

PettyOfficer
09-09-2012, 17:56
I also have 10% VA Disability but unless you have to walk with a cane, wheel chair or that type of disability you don't qualify. Of course you could always send GSSF an email discribing your disability and see what they say.

Don

10% for non-specific knees and shoulder problems and lower back problems. I can run and such for exercise but always pay for it if I don't stretch a lot, all day and night afterwards.

I'm not exactly nimble, but it's probably not worth explaining to a fella in a wheelchair or such.

But I bet in 15 years (I'll be 50 by then), I'll deserve the classification.

SARDG
09-09-2012, 18:08
...I'm not exactly nimble, but it's probably not worth explaining to a fella in a wheelchair or such...
You're running a marathon, and with all your God-given limbs... nah, I wouldn't want to explain that to a guy or gal in a wheelchair.

You can wait until you get old like Don and qualify for Senior and then Super-Senior... :rofl:

PettyOfficer
09-09-2012, 18:24
You're running a marathon, and with all your God-given limbs... nah, I wouldn't want to explain that to a guy or gal in a wheelchair.

You can wait until you get old like Don and qualify for Senior and then Super-Senior... :rofl:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... It's only a half :). Yeah, I'm not going to pursue it.

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 18:54
I was a cop for 17 years. I work in emergency communications for police and fire now. I'm also a 50% rated disabled vet. I'm not retired though because when I moved into the federal system I just changed jobs. And I don't use a cane or anything. Just lots of aches and pains from old military incidents and such. My wife is a great shooter but I can't ever see getting her to compete.

Ranger54
09-09-2012, 20:03
Don,

As it gets closer et me know, my wife may come with me to go shopping for Christmas. Then again, that could be dangerous!

James5m
09-10-2012, 04:19
Yep, I plan on taking her to see the Alamo, The River Walk and hopefully a few other sites. Yep my Air Force Basic Training was at Lackland 51 years ago tomorrow. I have been out there I think 10 times to shoot their match. Have several friends out there.

Don

I think the first time Don was there was 1836 and shot against Santa Anna:whistling:

Don At PC
09-10-2012, 06:19
Don,

As it gets closer et me know, my wife may come with me to go shopping for Christmas. Then again, that could be dangerous!

Will do, and I do know what you mean about shopping. :supergrin:

Don

Don At PC
09-10-2012, 06:20
I think the first time Don was there was 1836 and shot against Santa Anna:whistling:

Yep, and I whooooooopped his butt. :faint::embarassed:

Don

malladus
09-11-2012, 09:13
I'll be there as always. Going to shoot 7 divisons this time more then likely. Will be bringing the father in law and atleast one other shooter who may also bring his two daughters to shoot. Wyatt may actually shoot as well if he can make it.

to the OP: It's a good match, lots of space for spectators. Not much else to do at the range other then shoot, watch, or talk to people. There is usually one vendor there, the armorer from Glock, and the little shop at the range that sales ammo and not much else. They usually have sack lunches (BBQ) for sale.

The match is well run, same basic crew from the two clubs run it every year. The Glock M and 5 to Glock are run by one club and the plates by another. The GM and 5tG bays are all red silty-clayey sand so if it rains they are really messy and makes getting a car around in the parking area really fun. The plates area is grassy and very nice, but the spectator area is set back a little so makes it hard to hear all the swearing from missed plates.

The weather gets real weird there as well. I've shot the match one year were it was hot and dry one day and then cold and pouring rain the next. The match will usually only shutdown for really heavy rain or lightening. Last year we were the first shooters on Sunday and it was pouring down rain, but the RO's got us shooting and done despite the weather.

I think several folks have spelled out the classes you can shoot in. Heavy Metal is very competive depending on the shooters that show up, as is Guardian. Some years their has been a big LEO contigent and usually some of them can shoot pretty well, but they are usually competing with 40 cal guns and full power ammo. So they don't have as much of an edge as the guys running 9mm guns in stock have so you 21 should be fairly competive. Big thing is shoot clean, then fast. YOu do that and you will be surprised at how well you will place.

malladus.

Keyhole
09-12-2012, 09:43
I'm in. Looking forward to it.