Indoor chrono'ing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indoor chrono'ing?

jdavionic
09-09-2012, 17:28
I've got a Competition Electronics ProChrono digital. I've really struggled getting it to work indoors. I've got a light kit, but still struggle with lots of errors. The indoor range has real crappy lighting with overhead flourescent tubes. I'm guessing they are causing problems.

Any of you encounter similar issues shooting indoors or do you just shoot outdoors?

F106 Fan
09-09-2012, 17:41
I wonder if you covered the sensors with cardboard to eliminate the room lighting if things would work better? I'm thinking about a piece of cardboard perhaps 3' square.

If that doesn't work, I might paint the cardboard glossy white (on the side toward the sensors) and maybe shine some kind of flood lamp up from the floor.

If the overhead lighting is fluorescent and competing with the light kit, I could see where you would still have errors.

Richard

PhantomF4E
09-09-2012, 18:10
flourescent lighting will screw them up every time.

Colorado4Wheel
09-09-2012, 18:17
Get a cardboard box an rig it so you can put the chrono inside and shoot through the box.

jdavionic
09-09-2012, 18:19
Get a cardboard box an rig it so you can put the chrono inside and shoot through the box.

Sounds similar to the idea that was proposed earlier too. Have you tried this for shooting indoors?

jdavionic
09-09-2012, 18:57
Well, I just tried a quick experiment. Couldn't find a box big enough to enclose the whole thing, so I cut and just covered the top with cardboard and a good overhang in front and to the rear.

Fired a string of 10 shots with my airsoft in the garage and all 10 shots registered and appeared to be as expected.

Thanks guys! I'll head to a local indoor range this week and see how it works there. It's quite a pain for me to visit an outdoor range, especially right now with deer season approaching. We don't have many outdoor ranges and the ones that we do have are very crowded and about an hour away.

Boxerglocker
09-10-2012, 08:01
Well, I just tried a quick experiment. Couldn't find a box big enough to enclose the whole thing, so I cut and just covered the top with cardboard and a good overhang in front and to the rear.

Fired a string of 10 shots with my airsoft in the garage and all 10 shots registered and appeared to be as expected.

This is what I have done in the past. Though, I really don't use my LED indoor kit much anymore.

Colorado4Wheel
09-10-2012, 13:14
Sounds similar to the idea that was proposed earlier too. Have you tried this for shooting indoors?

No, but if you can eliminate outside light then all you have is the light kit providing light. That will make the chrono the most consistent. We use a Chrono Box all the time. No reason it wouldn't work inside. At a match we staple a target to the back of the box (no light comes through). It is nearly pitch dark inside.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3069.jpg

F106 Fan
09-10-2012, 13:19
That box is a pretty nice setup! I may try something like that if I have any more problems with my CED M2. The last time I used it, the sun was fairly low and the chrono was in the shade of the canopy. It didn't work at all!

Does the box fold up for transport? I could see using some kind of interlocking fasteners that would allow it to be disassembled.

Hm...

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
09-10-2012, 14:44
Box does not fold up. You need a light kit if you are in heavy shade. You need it for sure in the box.

WiskyT
09-10-2012, 18:43
I use my Chrony indoors without a light kit. Our club has fluorescent and incandescent lights on different circuits. I turn off the fluorescent lights and just run the incandescent (halogen) lights. It works good enough, but I have to put the unit farther downrange as the muzzle blast seems to effect readings more than in natural light.

jdavionic
09-15-2012, 11:17
Thanks guys. I went to the close indoor range and adding cardboard cover over the top with the indoor lighting kit. Much better. Only got a few errors that were due to me being too close. The range is not the greatest and it's tough to get a good distance from the chrono.