PDX-1 compared to rolling my own in 12ga? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PDX-1 compared to rolling my own in 12ga?

emt1581
09-09-2012, 20:05
When looking at the round itself, is there any downsides to the PDX-1? Maybe the powder/charge is not up to snuff, maybe the balls should be 000 instead of 00?

Please share your experience.

Thanks! :)

-Emt1581

unit1069
09-09-2012, 21:33
When it comes to shotguns I think it's safe to say the basic time-tested (cheap and available) loads are as good as the new high-tech wonder loads.

In my estimation shotguns are the most cost-effective self-defense firearms available and what worked 100 years ago still works as well today.

emt1581
09-09-2012, 21:46
When it comes to shotguns I think it's safe to say the basic time-tested (cheap and available) loads are as good as the new high-tech wonder loads.

In my estimation shotguns are the most cost-effective self-defense firearms available and what worked 100 years ago still works as well today.

I see what you're saying and I still agree...but I think the buck/ball combo is actually OLDER than the 00 Buckshot load.

IIRC Pirates and Columnists alike loved this load for what it offered...power, penetration, and spread. At close range it pretty much equals immediate death.

What I'm curious about is whether the Buck/Ball load I crank out is going to be better, for some reason, than the PDX-1?

I know I do NOT use copper jacketed shot. Mine are plain lead balls, some of them I've poured myself. I pour all of my own slugs.

Only improvement I can think of is to use birdshot in lieu of the grex...so I'd have a slug, 3 00 Buck pellets, and at least a dozen pellets of birdshot....I've always wanted to test such a round at the range just to see what it'd do.

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-10-2012, 16:23
Anyone?

Thanks

-Emt1581

robhic
09-10-2012, 16:34
I'm not certain this is the info you're looking for, but I used the PDX load in a Taurus "Judge" that shoots .410 shotgun shells. Some friends and I setup an old kids' plastic pool (about 7' diameter) and from around 8-10 yds distance, there was barely ANY spot on the surface of the target that didn't get hit! It was a major, destructive event. :supergrin: Double 00 buck, BB's and friggin' copper discs like mini-Frisbees penetrated the target. NOTHING could've survived that hit.

It's like a shell full of stuff like old time pirates used to shoot when they'd run out of cannon balls. Everything but the kitchen sink, so to speak. It was impressive and kicked ***!

Highly recommended.

WoodenPlank
09-10-2012, 16:42
I'm not certain this is the info you're looking for, but I used the PDX load in a Taurus "Judge" that shoots .410 shotgun shells. Some friends and I setup an old kids' plastic pool (about 7' diameter) and from around 8-10 yds distance, there was barely ANY spot on the surface of the target that didn't get hit! It was a major, destructive event. :supergrin: Double 00 buck, BB's and friggin' copper discs like mini-Frisbees penetrated the target. NOTHING could've survived that hit.

It's like a shell full of stuff like old time pirates used to shoot when they'd run out of cannon balls. Everything but the kitchen sink, so to speak. It was impressive and kicked ***!

Highly recommended.

BB from a 12ga (with significantly more muzzle velocity) has a hard time penetrating deep enough to reach vitals - it's not going to at all out of a handgun barrel. The PDX1 .410 load looks good on paper (literally) but is woefully lacking in terminal effect.

OP, I'd suggest staying away from home-rolled ammo of any kind for HD/SD use. For a 12ga, I have quickly grown to love the Federal Tactical #1 buck load - 15 .30" balls at ~1050FPS in a Flite-Control wad. It makes one ragged hole out to 15 yards from mo Mossberg 590, and dinner-plate size groups at ~30 yards.

emt1581
09-10-2012, 17:44
BB from a 12ga (with significantly more muzzle velocity) has a hard time penetrating deep enough to reach vitals - it's not going to at all out of a handgun barrel. The PDX1 .410 load looks good on paper (literally) but is woefully lacking in terminal effect.

OP, I'd suggest staying away from home-rolled ammo of any kind for HD/SD use. For a 12ga, I have quickly grown to love the Federal Tactical #1 buck load - 15 .30" balls at ~1050FPS in a Flite-Control wad. It makes one ragged hole out to 15 yards from mo Mossberg 590, and dinner-plate size groups at ~30 yards.

That suggestion not to use home made ammo for SD/HD...was that because of the possible legal/civil ramifications or some other reason?

Again, I'm looking for just the nastiest, devastating round to put down my 8.5" barrel.

Would a buck and ball (and maybe some birdshot) be it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

WoodenPlank
09-10-2012, 19:08
That suggestion not to use home made ammo for SD/HD...was that because of the possible legal/civil ramifications or some other reason?

Again, I'm looking for just the nastiest, devastating round to put down my 8.5" barrel.

Would a buck and ball (and maybe some birdshot) be it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yeah, mostly due to liability.

If you're using an 8.5" for HD/SD, I would strongly suggest that #1 load I mentioned earlier. The Flite Control wad can help keep the pellets together (meaning more hits on target), and help extend the reach of the short barrel a little bit. Plus, 15 30 caliber pellets (plated, no less) is going to be downright devastating on someone that's broken into your home. Best of all, it's fairly cheap. If you're LE/MIL, it's $3 a box (5 rounds) from GT Distributors, and pops up in other places from time to time. You can also check with your local shops, as most of them should be able to order it. I've completely dumped 00 buck for HD loads, and now use that #1 exclusively.

emt1581
09-10-2012, 19:23
Yeah, mostly due to liability.

If you're using an 8.5" for HD/SD, I would strongly suggest that #1 load I mentioned earlier. The Flite Control wad can help keep the pellets together (meaning more hits on target), and help extend the reach of the short barrel a little bit. Plus, 15 30 caliber pellets (plated, no less) is going to be downright devastating on someone that's broken into your home. Best of all, it's fairly cheap. If you're LE/MIL, it's $3 a box (5 rounds) from GT Distributors, and pops up in other places from time to time. You can also check with your local shops, as most of them should be able to order it. I've completely dumped 00 buck for HD loads, and now use that #1 exclusively.

Oh I don't plan on using the gun for HD....SD possibly but even that would mean things have become pretty bad. This isn't exactly an EDC piece. ;)

I must say I haven't seen many that are not fans of 00 Buck for HD/SD.

-Emt1581

WoodenPlank
09-10-2012, 19:47
Oh I don't plan on using the gun for HD....SD possibly but even that would mean things have become pretty bad. This isn't exactly an EDC piece. ;)

I must say I haven't seen many that are not fans of 00 Buck for HD/SD.

-Emt1581

While I have no problem with 00, I just think #1 is a better option. You get more holes, more overall lead down range (about 10% more than a 9 pellet 00 load), with more than adequate penetration, and one hell of a pattern to boot. I'm one of the folks that wants as tight of a pattern as possible, as it insures that my shots go where I intended them - the pellets will spread out somewhat on impact, anyway. Plus, it increases the max effective range of the shotgun without hot loading a slug.

BuckeyePPC
09-11-2012, 11:43
I see what you're saying and I still agree...but I think the buck/ball combo is actually OLDER than the 00 Buckshot load.

IIRC Pirates and Columnists alike loved this load for what it offered...power, penetration, and spread. At close range it pretty much equals immediate death.

What I'm curious about is whether the Buck/Ball load I crank out is going to be better, for some reason, than the PDX-1?

I know I do NOT use copper jacketed shot. Mine are plain lead balls, some of them I've poured myself. I pour all of my own slugs.

Only improvement I can think of is to use birdshot in lieu of the grex...so I'd have a slug, 3 00 Buck pellets, and at least a dozen pellets of birdshot....I've always wanted to test such a round at the range just to see what it'd do.

-Emt1581

Have you looked at the Centurian ? 1 65 cal ball and 6 #1 shot.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/10rds-12-gauge-centurion-le-2-34-multidefense-buckshot-ammo/manufacturers_id/38

I'm going to look for it at the next gunshow.

unit1069
09-11-2012, 14:30
Why make it more complicated that it is?

Just pick whichever #4 buckshot to #000 buckshot in 12 gauge you think fits your situation and be done with it.

This is one area where ballistics technology hasn't made any real breakthroughs from what I can tell.

Samned2003
09-11-2012, 18:14
Check out ballistic products. They have some pretyy stout load data for 12 gauge shotguns. They sell a variety of slugs, shot, and wads.

www.ballisticproducts.com

Samned2003

emt1581
09-11-2012, 18:51
Have you looked at the Centurian ? 1 65 cal ball and 6 #1 shot.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/10rds-12-gauge-centurion-le-2-34-multidefense-buckshot-ammo/manufacturers_id/38

I'm going to look for it at the next gunshow.

I didn't think they made those any more....

But when it comes to 12ga. there are very few things I cannot cook up myself. It's just a matter of learning the recipe I suppose.

I think in the end what I'm going to do is play around with different loads out of that shorter barrel to see what gives me the results I'm looking for.

I figure 9 pellets of 00 Buck, 1oz. slug, birdshot, birdshot/buckshot, buckshot/slug, then put all three together.

Only thing I have to figure out is the different powder amounts for each load. Right now my machine is set for 1oz. loads.

Thanks

-Emt1581

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 14:56
I use 000 buckshot in my Mossberg M590 12-ga shotgun. I trust the load very much.