RNHB Bear Creek [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RNHB Bear Creek

Larry_Waters
09-09-2012, 22:36
I picked up the RNHB as my local contact was out of LSWC in 200 gn.

So I've been trolling about and have a number of loads noted for Bear Creek Moly bullets @ 200 Gn and RNHB.

I've seen posted things between 4.6 to 5.1 of W231, seen some loads for Unique and Titegroup as well.

I'mjust curious what you guys are loading the Bear Creek 200 gn RNHB rounds at.

I've seen many references to using LSWC and RNHB load data interchangeably too.

Is this correct IYO?

thx

Boxerglocker
09-09-2012, 22:40
4.9 WST super accurate and clean burning.

sjd78
09-16-2012, 23:11
I have found the Bear Creek RNHB 200gn bullets to be very accurate over 5.0gn of W231, .470" taper crimp and OAL 1.255". Light recoil as well.

gwalchmai
09-17-2012, 14:18
Steve sent me a sample of them and I used my standard 200gr SWC load of 5.0 to 5.5gr of Solo-1000. Works great.

They slide into my 625's charge holes better than the SWCs, but the SWCs make cleaner holes in paper.

Three-Five-Seven
09-17-2012, 16:44
The match load I've settled on for the 200 grain RN - HB Bear Creek is 4.6 grains of WST. This returns a consistent 160 Power Factor in all kinds of weather.

When you seat the Bear Creek bullets, note that there is a shoulder on the bullet. You'll not notice it at first, but it is there. If you do not seat the bullet with this shoulder below the case rim, the rounds will not go to battery. When properly seated, this makes a round that looks short compared to others. That's why there's a hollow base to the bullet. When properly seated, this round has run 100% in all five of my 1911s from the Gold Cup down to the factory sprung 1991-A1, and everything in between.

Great bullet. Lots of competitors use them.

However, some feel the impulse of the higher velocity necessary for meeting power factor with the 200 grain bullets is a disadvantage compared to the 230 at lower velocity. I don't really notice the difference, but mention it because I've heard many folks say it affects their shooting.

Once you get this load worked out, you'll be happy with the bullet.

Blaster
09-18-2012, 08:09
I have used them (RNHB) with great results. The 200 gn. SWC run perfectly in all my 1911s and Glock 21s however they don't do well in my G30. The RNHB works great in everything including the G30.

I load the RNHB the same as the SWC with approximately 6.3 grains of Unique for excellent results.

Larry_Waters
09-18-2012, 22:49
You guys confirmed my findings as well as validated the numbers I was seeing along with confirming the SWC load numbers are being used.

So as I work this out, this will bring me up to 4 different Bear Creek bullets loads using 2 styles of bullets.

Now I won't have to be concerned if he's out of this or that... I can use any of it. :)

again thanks....

Larry_Waters
09-26-2012, 19:47
I have found the Bear Creek RNHB 200gn bullets to be very accurate over 5.0gn of W231, .470" taper crimp and OAL 1.255". Light recoil as well.

That's interesting. I'm referring to 2 Speer manuals and my Lyman which is now missing (only in my possession for 3 weeks :crying:). They give the LSWC COAL of 1.190. The reduction of internal space will change the load a tad bit.

When you seat the Bear Creek bullets, note that there is a shoulder on the bullet. You'll not notice it at first, but it is there. If you do not seat the bullet with this shoulder below the case rim, the rounds will not go to battery. When properly seated, this makes a round that looks short compared to others. That's why there's a hollow base to the bullet.

Three Five Seven, whats your COAL when the shoulder falls below the case rim?

My shoulder disappears at about or near 1.21 COAL

Once I get the COAL settled I'll pass them with a very very slight crimp. Just to remove any bell I may still have.

Three-Five-Seven
09-27-2012, 08:38
Three Five Seven, whats your COAL when the shoulder falls below the case rim?

My shoulder disappears at about or near 1.21 COAL

Yup. Same here 1.20~1.21.

8Ring
09-28-2012, 22:15
Hello:

The Bear Creek 200gr HBRN I've used in the past couple of years in my SW 625 revolver do not have any ridge on them. (I last ordered some in late 2010 or early 2011.) I use between 4.8 and 5.0 gr American Select with Federal Large Pistol primers and get around 850-875 fps from the 5" barrel.

They are reasonably accurate, emit little smoke, leave no lead, and are easy to clean up after.

Chris