LW 10mm barrel giving constant FTF. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LW 10mm barrel giving constant FTF.

CPatt44
09-10-2012, 03:50
I just acquired an G20SF from a forum member. Bought a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for it. Put it in and loaded the mags with Underwood 165gr GD's. inserted the mag and pulled the slide back to chamber a round. Let slide go at the pulled back apex to allow it to return to battery, didn't' ride the slide forward at all. Not one round fed properly. Every round caught on entering the tighter chamber. Eventually was able to properly chamber a round by tapping the mag into a higher seating. This only helped occasionally though.

Tried the other mag and had the same FTF. Have some new mags on the way, but I believe this is an issue with the barrel. Does anybody agree with me? Or could be bad mags.

Looking for some help folks. Thanks in advance.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

G29SFWTF
09-10-2012, 04:57
I don't have a Lone Wolf but do have a KKM drop in for my G29SF and have never had a barrel related jam with Underwood. The chamber is clearly tighter than a factor barrel but I don't have a way to measure it.

I've shot 100 rounds of 135gr Nosler JHP

50 rounds of 165gr Speer Bonded JHP

50 rounds of 155gr flat nose Speer TMJ

I have a 23lb recoil spring fwiw but you shouldn't need one just to chamber a round.

So does the factory barrel feed properly?

RYT 2BER
09-10-2012, 05:21
Tagged

CPatt44
09-10-2012, 07:53
The factory barrel is feeding properly. I also do have a 20lb recoil spring on order and will try that also.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

Ethereal Killer
09-10-2012, 08:50
I have seen differences with the new style mags and older mags, but usually the newer mags wont seat as deep and the older ones can give me malfs if I push them in to far.

You might try polishing the feed ramp and chamber with a polishing compound and dremel felt bullet. that did wonders for me on a tight chamber.

Ramjet-SS
09-10-2012, 10:16
I had the same issue but what I found is the chamber is tight and taper crimp helped my hand loads allot also the 10 round mags work just fine but higher capacity gave me trouble. Also I lapped the slid with 1200 grit al oxide lapping compound yup really fine but you cannot screw up and take too much that way. Since I did some of this work the gun functions great Imalso have the stainless rod and 20 lb spring. This barrel and gun shoots one ragged hole it is amazing.

Meathead9
09-10-2012, 10:53
Have you contacted LWD? I'm not a huge fan of their products, but they are very helpful if you give them a chance. They have pretty good CS. LWD barrels are known for tight/short chambers & razor sharp feedramp/chamber ledge. The ledge can be polished easily, but if your chamber is too short, it will need to be finish reamed to fit your ammo.

Take your barrel out, and see if those rounds will drop into the chamber & pass the "plunk" test. Do they sit flush or slightly below with the barrel hood? If not, the chamber is probably too short. If they drop in properly, the feedramp/chamber mouth is too tight.

alwaysshootin
09-10-2012, 11:21
Have you contacted LWD?

Take your barrel out, and see if those rounds will drop into the chamber & pass the "plunk" test. Do they sit flush or slightly below with the barrel hood? If not, the chamber is probably too short. If they drop in properly, the feedramp/chamber mouth is too tight.

This^^^^^^^^^

If any, or all of this testing fails, send it back! Lone Wolf will correct any problem.

You said the factory barrel runs fine, so it must be something wrong with the LW barrel!

seed
09-10-2012, 12:46
I had the same problem with my Lone Wolf standard size G20 barrel (with 22# Wolff recoil spring and steel rod). My Reed's ammo fed well, although not 100%. Years ago, my Double Tap had similar results with only the 135 grain Nosler JHP's being 100%. Hornady 180 grain XTP's had slightly less reliability than the other DT's. By far though, Underwood was the most problematic with multiple FTF's.

Considering the fact that Underwood is by far the most available and affordable 10mm ammo out there right now and that KKM's reportedly feed them without widespread reports of problems, I ordered one. I have yet to test it out, but I will report my results when I do.

By the way, the Underwood ammo I tested with the LW barrel was 165 and 155 FMJ's. It appeared that like others here have said, the transition from ramp to chamber is too sharp. I may try to fix my LW barrel one day, but I will not regret my KKM purchase no matter what...if it works.

Ramjet-SS
09-10-2012, 13:12
The tight chamber has some great attributes but also a varitable pain the you know what.

RYT 2BER
09-10-2012, 14:27
Are you guys running these aftermarket barrels for self defense or is this a function of reloads and lead, etc?

Ramjet-SS
09-10-2012, 14:46
Nope not me standard issue and commercial SD ammo.

Aftermarket and handloads = hunting only.

alwaysshootin
09-10-2012, 17:11
Are you guys running these aftermarket barrels for self defense or is this a function of reloads and lead, etc?

My G20, for the most part is for hunting, and range fun. Of the 2K ran through my G20, all, but a couple of magazines through it have been with one of the two LW barrels I have, or had. Never a fail to, of any kind with after market barrels. If I were to carry the 20, I would probably use the factory barrel, but from my experience wouldn't hesitate using the LW barrel. Having a G29, bumped the 20 for carry. Not sure why. Oh wait now I do! If I carried the G20, there would be no real use for the 29, so each has it's purpose!:cool:

RYT 2BER
09-10-2012, 17:33
My G20, for the most part is for hunting, and range fun. Of the 2K ran through my G20, all, but a couple of magazines through it have been with one of the two LW barrels I have, or had. Never a fail to, of any kind with after market barrels. If I were to carry the 20, I would probably use the factory barrel, but from my experience wouldn't hesitate using the LW barrel. Having a G29, bumped the 20 for carry. Not sure why. Oh wait now I do! If I carried the G20, there would be no real use for the 29, so each has it's purpose!:cool:

Understood... My g20 sf is on the way... I plan on shooting mostly nuclear type stuff through it (underwood, etc).

I'm hopeful I can carry it (I carry g 23 with no issue all the time but the 20 is of course much large), so I was just curious.....

Opie 1 Kenopie
09-10-2012, 21:08
[QUOTE=CPatt44;19403792]The factory barrel is feeding properly. I also do have a 20lb recoil spring on order and will try that also. QUOTE]

Rock your Glock Stock.

orangeride
09-10-2012, 22:44
Fresh mag springs might help. I have a LW 40 conversion in my 20 that I use for matches and plinking. I have a 155gr RNLSWC load that can be very sensitive to OAL causeing ftfeed. I noticed if I tapped the bottom of the mag the round would go in. I installed new springs and that cured 90% of my problems. I also adjusted my OAL and crimp. Now it's 100% I actually think the mag springs where a bandaid because they feed fine with all my other loads including my 10mm 135's at 1500fps.

alwaysshootin
09-11-2012, 07:26
Understood... My g20 sf is on the way... I plan on shooting mostly nuclear type stuff through it (underwood, etc).

I'm hopeful I can carry it (I carry g 23 with no issue all the time but the 20 is of course much large), so I was just curious.....

Compared to the 23, which I also carried, for a while, the biggest difference, to me any way, wasn't so much the size, as it was the weight. Don't get me wrong, the size difference is noticeable, but the slide mass, is even more so. The other thing I like about the G29, over the G20 for carry is I can get away with just a T-shirt to hide the little brother. The G20 needs a separate cover garment. I will say this though, if I could only have one, it would be the G20. But as luck would have it, I don't need to have one, so I have two of each!:supergrin:

dryfly
09-11-2012, 11:55
Rock your Glock Stock.

^^^ This.
I to had problems with a LW barrel in my 20sf. I was shooting BB and SF ammo at the time. Put the stock back in and stayed with it.

RYT 2BER
09-11-2012, 17:33
Compared to the 23, which I also carried, for a while, the biggest difference, to me any way, wasn't so much the size, as it was the weight. Don't get me wrong, the size difference is noticeable, but the slide mass, is even more so. The other thing I like about the G29, over the G20 for carry is I can get away with just a T-shirt to hide the little brother. The G20 needs a separate cover garment. I will say this though, if I could only have one, it would be the G20. But as luck would have it, I don't need to have one, so I have two of each!:supergrin:

I hope I can swing it :dunno:

alwaysshootin
09-12-2012, 06:05
I hope I can swing it :dunno:

Just make your mind up you'll do whatever it takes! There is no better caliber to carry, and no better firearm to deliver that caliber! That old saying " a carry weapon doesn't need to be comfortable, but comforting"! There is no better comfort than carrying a G20! Once you get some practice time with the G20, you will be very, very, pleased. If I were only allowed one handgun, hands down, without deliberation, my choice would be a G20!

Ethereal Killer
09-12-2012, 08:18
There is no better caliber to carry, and no better firearm to deliver that caliber! That old saying " a carry weapon doesn't need to be comfortable, but comforting"! There is no better comfort than carrying a G20! ...

Sounds like whomever made that saying up didnt carry one concealed everyday!!

Honestly I cant think of a much worse pistol to conceal carry than the Glock 20. Unless you are a giant, it's just a horrible proposition to conceal and live with.

Further the 10mm is a poor choice for a service caliber. excessive penetration, blast and recoil and potentially overdriven projectiles make it excessive for what is needed on people. it's just too much work to stay really competent with it compared to the standard service calibers IMO. not to mention the cost comparison to like the 9mm.

On the other hand it makes just a fantastic woods caliber and a great choice where longer distances or more penetration are the order of battle.

------

cpatt.... seriously dude... polish your chamber. it works like a charm, and if you have a dremel, it's only a trip to the hardware store for that bullet shaped felt and some polishing compound. It's a VERY low risk procedure.

alwaysshootin
09-13-2012, 08:09
Sounds like whomever made that saying up didnt carry one concealed everyday!!

Honestly I cant think of a much worse pistol to conceal carry than the Glock 20. Unless you are a giant, it's just a horrible proposition to conceal and live with.

Further the 10mm is a poor choice for a service caliber. excessive penetration, blast and recoil and potentially overdriven projectiles make it excessive for what is needed on people. it's just too much work to stay really competent with it compared to the standard service calibers IMO. not to mention the cost comparison to like the 9mm.

On the other hand it makes just a fantastic woods caliber and a great choice where longer distances or more penetration are the order of battle.

------

cpatt.... seriously dude... polish your chamber. it works like a charm, and if you have a dremel, it's only a trip to the hardware store for that bullet shaped felt and some polishing compound. It's a VERY low risk procedure.

All I can say, is I disagree with everything you wrote, about the 10MM, except, for being a fantastic woods caliber!

If anyone has ever carried a 1911, which I have, the G20 is no more difficult! Like I said, make up your mind, what you want to carry, and you will be comfortable with it. Carried a G21 daily, for two years. Other then caliber, the 20 and 21, are dimension ally, identical, so it can be done. My carry now is a G29, and it's carried daily, without any difficulty.

As far as the 10, being a poor choice, because of excessive penetration, blast and recoil, it doesn't have to be! It can be, but, doesn't have to be. Choose your ammo wisely!

As far as, " it's just too much work to stay really competent with it compared to the standard service calibers IMO. " IMHO, there is nothing difficult about it. Proficient shooting takes practice, no matter the firearm, or caliber choice. I personally, find it much more difficult to stay proficient with a snub nosed revolver, than a G20.

Lastly, " not to mention the cost comparison to like the 9mm."
I reload, and the price difference, between the 9, and 10, is less than 4 grains of powder. If you don't reload, that's tenths of a cent per round greater cost.

blastfact
09-14-2012, 20:41
I have a 5.15" LW Barrel in my G20. And it's been great!

I have never put a round through the OEM worthless barrel.

When I shot the pistol the first time it was with the LW barrel. The first 200 rounds I shot with it were my reloads. A 100 rounds of unpreped new brass and a 100 rounds of preped brass. The unpreped brass did not run good. The preped brass ran great. And the barrel has ran fantastic since.

After 400 rounds I dressed the barrel. I made it mine. :) My Wolf has a soft appearance. The polishing began. All of the upper external chamber and barrel got a hand polish job. The feed ramp and chamber got a fast polishing. Then I lapped in the chamber with 1k grit, oil and a dowel. I spent some time working the bore. I slugged it out and was happy to see it measured out good. Not to tight nor loose. I did find two tight spots. Well taunt would be a better word. Lapped them out a tad. Then did a general clean up.

The barrel is awesome IMHO! :) Brass comes out clean and straight. It's great to pick up brass that could be reloaded on the spot if you wanted to. Hit it with some canned air and run it through a press of your choice. :)

MinervaDoe
09-14-2012, 23:19
Every round caught on entering the tighter chamber. Eventually was able to properly chamber a round by tapping the mag into a higher seating.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.
I'll bet that you got a bunch of Internet advice that you had to get rid of your cruddy stock Glock barrel. The only part I ever change on my Glocks is the connector. but I find that the stock barrel gives great accuracy.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/Minervadoe/10mmTarget2.jpg

CPatt44
09-24-2012, 23:40
UPDATE - Well, put in the 20lb recoil spring and the problem disappeared. The rounds chambered properly every time. Actually had a chance to shoot the gun yesterday and had two failure to chamber rounds. They seemed to get caught on the lower lip of the ramp. Simple tap, rack and fire worked out the kinks.

The one thing I did notice though, is that every ejected case had a "ding" about 1/8" from the case top. Like the case slapped too hard while seating in the chamber. Any ideas folks?

Overall, Underwood 165gr TMJ sizzles from the 5.15" barrel and proves to be dead nuts accurate at 7, 10 and 15 yards. I am very happy with the hallowed 10mm and am a believer now.:thumbsup:

TattooedGlock
09-25-2012, 05:05
That's why Glocks come with Glock barrels; because they work just fine.