Interesting malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting malfunction

Disregarded9-side
09-10-2012, 09:43
So continuing with my terrible luck with 1911s, my freshly returned from the Springfield repair department Loaded model is experiencing another malfunction (though I gotta hand it to SA, seems they repaired the previous ailments).

I shot about 100 rounds on Saturday and 100 on Sunday, all Federal 230gr ball. I experienced four of the same failure: on the last round in (only) a Wilson/Rogers 47 8 round magazine, maybe the same mag, maybe different one, the spent casing would eject just fine, but the final round wouldn't be gripped by the extractor, but was just pushed forward and a bit sideways so that the rim of the cartridge was touching the breechface and the bullet nosing was touching the rear locking lug on the slide--stuck in this way under the pressure of the recoil spring.

I'll try to stage the malfuction and take pics when I can, I know reading that it's hard to visualize.
Owning unreliable firearms keeps me up at night. Seriously. :help:

Thoughts?

B.Reid
09-10-2012, 09:56
I am betting on a bad magazine, number your mags so you will know if it is one mag that is having issues.

Disregarded9-side
09-10-2012, 10:14
^Will do; that's Acom's razor for sure.

My thought was that magazine spring is too weak (slow), and that the follower wasn't moving the final round up fast enough--that what you were thinking?

The mag(s) in question are brand new Wilson Combat 47s, so basically the only part on the Springfield that I'd inherently trust...
...the 1911 Gods really hate me for some reason.

fastbolt
09-10-2012, 10:54
If you know someone who has some CM PowerMags, Tripp Research or ACT-Mag's, try them in your Springfield with the same ammunition ... (presuming those other mags have springs which are still within their useful service life, of course)

Disregarded9-side
09-10-2012, 10:58
Had my shooting bag in the truck; just pulled out the 47s.

Looks like (maybe) when I installed the extended basepad on one that came with the 'D' basepad, the steel base that holds the spring may not have locked into the new basepad perfectly; just remedied this...probably gonna have to pop off another 50 now...

Road Dog
09-10-2012, 11:35
I had the same problem from 47D's a while back. Its probably either A) put together wrong after disassembly or B) the spring needs to be replaced.

Disregarded9-side
09-10-2012, 12:18
Thanks Hamp, good to hear.

I'm going to number the 47s and monitor them. I'll report back with my findings.

Jim Watson
09-10-2012, 12:31
A fresh spring will usually fix problems with a Wilson magazine. They are well made but the room for that eighth shot had to come from somewhere and the spring took the hit.

A real GI 7 shot with pimple on the follower will usually not do this.

Rinspeed
09-10-2012, 13:09
Owning unreliable firearms keeps me up at night.

Thoughts?

The first time it happened you should have marked the mag.

B.Reid
09-10-2012, 13:43
Seems Wilson uses crap springs, I have some CMC 8 round mags that are a dozen years old, they have thousands of rounds through them and still work great. These are the flush fitting 8 rounders not the Power Mags.

Disregarded9-side
09-10-2012, 16:10
If the problem persists with one of the Wilson mags, which magazine springs do y'all recommend upgrading/replacing them with?

Keep in mind these mags have seen less than 150 rounds each if that many, so they're practically brand new. My previous impressions of the Wilson mags were extremely positive; I would not be surprised if I had installed the basepad without completely snapping into the steel bottom, but I would be surprised if that 1mm would really make the difference--guess it could effect the spring's angle, and thus coil.

Glock Holliday
09-10-2012, 16:36
Have you replaced the slide stop? I replaced the one on my TRP with an Ed Brown slide stop and it seemed to make a (positive) difference. YMMV

faawrenchbndr
09-10-2012, 16:41
If the problem persists with one of the Wilson mags, which magazine springs do y'all recommend upgrading/replacing them with?

I parted ways with all my Wilson mags, replaced them with Tripp Research mags.

Jim S.
09-10-2012, 16:44
I have quite a few different brands of 1911 magazines.
Guess which ones have never had a failure of any kind.
The factory Springfield Armory magazines that they offer when you buy the gun.
They seem to be kind of cheap but they work.
I bought ten of them when I bought one of my Springers and use them a lot at the range.
They keep on working.

fastbolt
09-10-2012, 18:48
The FBI-spec Metalform mag (extra power spring & dimpled follower in standard tube) are also usually good-to-go, although I spoke with one vendor who commented they'd seen some QC issues arise at one point a few years ago. That can happen to anyone now and again, though.

You'll run into folks who prefer 7-rd tubes for serious usage, as well as folks who feel the same way about 8-rd tubes.

Personally, I like the newer designed tubes which have been lengthened to have more space for the 8th round, and stronger springs.

tango44
09-11-2012, 09:33
Trey with different mags like CMC or others.

Zombie Steve
09-11-2012, 09:38
Seems Wilson uses crap springs, I have some CMC 8 round mags that are a dozen years old, they have thousands of rounds through them and still work great. These are the flush fitting 8 rounders not the Power Mags.

While I've never had issues with my Wilson mags (or any for that matter), the Chip McCormick mags have a much beefier spring.

Have you replaced the slide stop? I replaced the one on my TRP with an Ed Brown slide stop and it seemed to make a (positive) difference. YMMV

I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Troubled Gecko
09-13-2012, 18:12
www.gunsprings.com (http://www.gunsprings.com) Wolff springs are top notch, both LE and military use them as well.

Buy the +5% power type, Ive used these springs for years and they are of quality.

rock185
09-14-2012, 13:44
Disregarded9, if I understand correctly, it is the fired case that fails to eject. Within my humble experience, if the round fed from the magazine into the chamber, the magazine has done it's job. The fired round should extract and eject, no matter what magazine is in the gun, or whether there is a magazine in the gun at all. The Colt schools I have attended did not teach that the magazine has any effect at all in the extracting or ejecting of a fired round. The Colt Armorers Manual does not mention magazines at all in troubleshooting failure to extract or failure to eject issues. My 1911s, by different manufacturers, work with any magazines I have, and will extract and eject normally with no magazine in the pistol at all. Your pistol is a Springfield, but the same sequence of operation applies. But, perhaps I misunderstand the problem...ymmv

Troubled Gecko
09-14-2012, 18:10
Disregarded9, if I understand correctly, it is the fired case that fails to eject. Within my humble experience, if the round fed from the magazine into the chamber, the magazine has done it's job. The fired round should extract and eject, no matter what magazine is in the gun, or whether there is a magazine in the gun at all.
See below.

the spent casing would eject just fine, but the final round wouldn't be gripped by the extractor, but was just pushed forward and a bit sideways so that the rim of the cartridge was touching the breechface and the bullet nosing was touching the rear locking lug on the slide--stuck in this way under the pressure of the recoil spring.

I understand this to be a ftf of the last rnd. that's why I suggest a new mag spring.

JasonC8301
09-15-2012, 08:10
I run Wilson 47D's with the Tripp Research upgrade kits. New spring and follower to 7 round capacity.

Ruble Noon
09-15-2012, 10:06
A fresh spring will usually fix problems with a Wilson magazine. They are well made but the room for that eighth shot had to come from somewhere and the spring took the hit.

A real GI 7 shot with pimple on the follower will usually not do this.

Most of the feeding problems that I have had on 1911's have come from extra capacity magazines.

R0CKETMAN
09-16-2012, 05:51
Mag spring
Spread feed lips
Lube on feed lips

Disregarded9-side
09-17-2012, 08:54
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice guys.

The pistol in question is currently about 40 pieces, awaiting some new parts and reassembly. They should be here today or tomorrow, and when they are I'll let you know how she runs.

As of now I've not purchased any additional power springs, just adjusted the floorplate on the mag that I believe caused all the failures back into its correct position.

silversport
09-18-2012, 04:36
Wolff (at one time at least were the FBI spec springs) or ISMI...I know a co worker who had issues with those same Wilson's and his TRP...the stock Metalfor made Springfield mags work 100% for him...

I like those from Tripp (CobraMag)...the conversion kits are what I put in my other mags and they too are 100% (as are the five or so FBI spec MetalForms...

Bill