going to start reloading 40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : going to start reloading 40

minkis18
09-10-2012, 19:52
I'm going to start loading .40 pretty soon (have dies and about 1200 cases, once fired collected from desert shooting) but had some questions before I start.

First, I would prefer to load either 180 or 155gr FMJ as that is readily abundant at my gun shop. which is generally preferred around here for shooting in glocks? A lot of the posts I have seen say go light. ***I am getting an M&P40C soon***

My current powder stash only consists of Titegroup and Unique. I've seen a few Unique references but when I test threw a load last week it looked like it didn't leave much room for the bullet, if any. Plus it's dirty as a mofo in my experience but haven't loaded any hot loads with it to compare. My concern with Titegroup though is would it add to the bulge problem on high end loads? If using Titegroup should I go with a lighter load to help make safety checks easier?

Any other powders to consider that could be used versatile? I saw a good number of people endorsing Power Pistol. The ultimate goal would be to use one powder for .38sp .40 and .45acp or at least 2 of them. Less inventory just makes life easier!

I won't open the can of worms about shooting lead in Glocks. But my friend prefers FMJ in his baby (XDm40 3.8) and with him splitting the cost of supplies buying jacketed it's an easier sell to shoot jacketed through everything. I know, bad reason but anything he pays for is worth it!

here's some prospect loads I've gathered lately;
155gr JSP
5.4-5.9gr Titegroup (Lee manual)

180gr FMJ
5.0-5.6gr Unique (forum listed)

180gr TMJ
4.2-4.7gr Titegroup (forum listed)

Thanks for any advice.

igolfat8
09-10-2012, 19:59
I use Winchester 231 in both .40 and .45, FMJ. Its no dirtier than factory loads and I like the larger coarser powder as compared to the fine smaller grain hot powders.

Dawolf
09-10-2012, 20:25
I use Winchester 231 in both .40 and .45, FMJ. Its no dirtier than factory loads and I like the larger coarser powder as compared to the fine smaller grain hot powders.

:agree: Or H-38

PCJim
09-10-2012, 20:25
You should consider sharing the cost of bulk primer and powder shipments with your friend so as to split the HazMat adder. Order your own lead bullets in bulk from any of the recommended suppliers. There is no HazMat on the bullets. I get mine from either Mastercast.com or Missouri Bullets.

If you still don't want to throw lead bullets, try Precision Delta or Roze Distribution (Zero Bullets) for the jacketed stuff.

shotgunred
09-10-2012, 21:32
180's are the most used weight for the 40.

WSF
WST
power pistol

Any good medium burner will work.

tua05737
09-10-2012, 21:37
180's are the most used weight for the 40.

WSF
WST
power pistol

Any good medium burner will work.

Agreed..don't use Unique it's really dirty in comparison..n I like the 180 considerably better than 155 in stock spring set up

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

fredj338
09-10-2012, 23:50
Unique is a good choice for 180gr bullets in the 40. Run it above midrange & it's not dirty. Sure there are other pwoders, like WSF, that are cleaner, but Uniue will run fine. TG, not if it were free. I'ld sell it to a noob & buy some WSF or WST.

walrus108
09-13-2012, 17:41
180gr Berrys and 4.5g TG is my favorite target load for 40. TG is great IMO for moderate velocity loads that are very accurate. It is a very bad powder to try to gain extra velocity though. I'd never push TG.

Gpruitt54
09-13-2012, 19:51
Agreed..don't use Unique it's really dirty in comparison..n I like the 180 considerably better than 155 in stock spring set up

Are flake powders prone to burning dirty? I am a new reloader.I've used Unique and HP-38 (both flake powders). Both seem to leave a lot ofash behind. Recently, I started using Accurate #2. I found it to burn veryclean; does not leave lots of ash. Accurate#2 also (at least for me) seems to measure more consistently because of the verytiny spherical particles. Iím using theLee Pro Auto Desk powder measure system. Sticking with Accurate #2; like it a lot.Reloading .40S&W.

emtjr928
09-13-2012, 19:59
Another vote for 231 or wsf under a 180 gr bullet

Danl Boone
09-13-2012, 20:41
I use 4 grains of winchester super target for my 180 grain 40s and 4.5 grains of WST for my 230 grain .45s.

SPIN2010
09-13-2012, 20:48
AA#5 with 5.5 - 6.0 grs under 180gr plated. :supergrin:

ImpeachObama
09-13-2012, 22:39
Montana Gold 180 gr JHP or Precision Delta FMJ 180 gr:
3.8-4.0 gr of TG for a Glock 23 or 22. 4.3 gr for a G35.
4.3-4.6 gr for a G24. Those are my favorites. The first load mentioned is easy shooting. OAL is 1.125-1.130

Luv the Farty caliber.

For the 155 gr bullet:
4.7 gr of TG is pretty easy shooting. I go only to 5.4 gr max on that one. You'll be at about 1050 fps with 5.4 gr.

fredj338
09-14-2012, 09:00
Are flake powders prone to burning dirty? I am a new reloader.I've used Unique and HP-38 (both flake powders). Both seem to leave a lot ofash behind. Recently, I started using Accurate #2. I found it to burn veryclean; does not leave lots of ash. Accurate#2 also (at least for me) seems to measure more consistently because of the verytiny spherical particles. I’m using theLee Pro Auto Desk powder measure system. Sticking with Accurate #2; like it a lot.Reloading .40S&W.

Actually, HP38 & W231 are the same powder, both spherical. Ball powders like AA#2 certainly meter better than any flake pwoder, but I have no issue getting 1/10gr accuracy using Unique. A lot of reloaders are just using certain powders for the wrong applications & that is what gives a powder like Unique a bad rap for being dirty. Still, some powders do leave more carbon or residue or unburnt powder behind. It doesn't have much to do with them being flake, stick or ball though.

ROGER4314
09-14-2012, 09:55
I use Bullseye in all of my pistol rounds except for the 44 mag which gets Unique. Cost was becoming a problem so I standardized powders to the Bullseye. I use IMR 4895 in my rifles.

Flash

paragon1
09-14-2012, 10:05
Find all brass that says S & B and throw it in the trash.:wavey:

Gpruitt54
09-14-2012, 15:45
Actually, HP38 & W231 are the same powder, both spherical. Ball powders like AA#2 certainly meter better than any flake pwoder, but I have no issue getting 1/10gr accuracy using Unique. A lot of reloaders are just using certain powders for the wrong applications & that is what gives a powder like Unique a bad rap for being dirty. Still, some powders do leave more carbon or residue or unburnt powder behind. It doesn't have much to do with them being flake, stick or ball though.

Interesting, this not the first time I've heard HP-38 described as a spherical ball powder. There must be a loose definition of the term spherical. HP-38's individual particles are small flat disks. Where Accurate #2's individual particles are small spherical granules. So, I am confused as to how the two products can be called spherical powders. I am new to all this.

norton
09-14-2012, 18:06
Unique is a good choice for 180gr bullets in the 40. Run it above midrange & it's not dirty. Sure there are other pwoders, like WSF, that are cleaner, but Uniue will run fine. TG, not if it were free. I'ld sell it to a noob & buy some WSF or WST.

And let some noob blow himself up?

You made a believer out of me Fred. No more TG for the norton guy.

bballer182
09-16-2012, 15:58
Another vote for WSF and 180gr

justinsaneok
09-16-2012, 17:44
I use 180 gr bullets. The heavy bullets seem to have less recoil to me.

I use Winchester 231 for the light loads, meaning weak loads. They just make power factor.

I haven't found anything that shoots cleaner or straighter than Unique for full power hot loads. I'm with Fred on this.

I use the same powders for lead bullets just less.

I tried WSF but it spewed out of the Dillon measure with haste. Seemed like a waste.

F106 Fan
09-16-2012, 17:59
I tried WSF but it spewed out of the Dillon measure with haste. Seemed like a waste.

What was the specific problem? I used WSF for some 9mm loads (4.0 gr with 147 gr MG CMJ) and it seemed to work fine.

Richard

justinsaneok
09-16-2012, 18:21
What was the specific problem? I used WSF for some 9mm loads (4.0 gr with 147 gr MG CMJ) and it seemed to work fine.

Richard
I was trying to say it leaked all over the place. It came out around the charge bar on the measure. It rained powder with every pull of the handle. I should have just said that.

F106 Fan
09-16-2012, 19:02
I was trying to say it leaked all over the place. It came out around the charge bar on the measure. It rained powder with every pull of the handle. I should have just said that.

That seems odd! It has been a few months since I loaded those 9mm rounds but I don't recall any spillage.

I'll look for it the next time I make that load.

Richard

unclebob
09-16-2012, 19:28
Measure your powder bar and powder bar spacer and then call Dillon one or both are cut undersize. You should have no leakage.

justinsaneok
09-16-2012, 20:07
Measure your powder bar and powder bar spacer and then call Dillon one or both are cut undersize. You should have no leakage.

Interesting. I'll get on that. I thought that was lame myself. :dunno:

ETNSHOOTER
09-23-2012, 20:40
AA#5 with 5.5 - 6.0 grs under 180gr plated. :supergrin:

I use 5.5 gr. of AA#5 in my SR40 with a Lee 175 gr. TC bullet that I casted my self and it shoots very good and very little leading. power pistol is good too.

fredj338
09-23-2012, 22:48
You need a new measure or charge bar. There is always some small leaking w/ really fine ball pwoders but shouldn't be an issue w/ WSF.

fredj338
09-23-2012, 22:50
Interesting, this not the first time I've heard HP-38 described as a spherical ball powder. There must be a loose definition of the term spherical. HP-38's individual particles are small flat disks. Where Accurate #2's individual particles are small spherical granules. So, I am confused as to how the two products can be called spherical powders. I am new to all this.

Well the term ball powder & spherical are interchangeable, but not identical. Ball powder is just that, small round grains. Spherical is a flattened ball powder, not a true flake. It's mostly in how it is made as much as the shape. Flake powders are cut, ball/spherical are formed.

m2hmghb
09-24-2012, 03:39
I like Power Pistol in 40. I use Titegroup for light loads with lead but that's it.

Rinconjoe
09-25-2012, 05:44
I use WSF. 180 gr fmj

shotgunred
09-25-2012, 05:48
I like Power Pistol in 40. I use Titegroup for light loads with lead but that's it.

Tightgroup smokes a lot with lead, You should try solo 1000 or WST.

m2hmghb
09-26-2012, 06:54
Tightgroup smokes a lot with lead, You should try solo 1000 or WST.

Not for Cowboy Action loads or for mouse fart loads in 45. YMMV

scccdoc
09-26-2012, 07:11
I'm going to start loading .40 pretty soon (have dies and about 1200 cases, once fired collected from desert shooting) but had some questions before I start.

First, I would prefer to load either 180 or 155gr FMJ as that is readily abundant at my gun shop. which is generally preferred around here for shooting in glocks? A lot of the posts I have seen say go light. ***I am getting an M&P40C soon***

My current powder stash only consists of Titegroup and Unique. I've seen a few Unique references but when I test threw a load last week it looked like it didn't leave much room for the bullet, if any. Plus it's dirty as a mofo in my experience but haven't loaded any hot loads with it to compare. My concern with Titegroup though is would it add to the bulge problem on high end loads? If using Titegroup should I go with a lighter load to help make safety checks easier?

Any other powders to consider that could be used versatile? I saw a good number of people endorsing Power Pistol. The ultimate goal would be to use one powder for .38sp .40 and .45acp or at least 2 of them. Less inventory just makes life easier!

I won't open the can of worms about shooting lead in Glocks. But my friend prefers FMJ in his baby (XDm40 3.8) and with him splitting the cost of supplies buying jacketed it's an easier sell to shoot jacketed through everything. I know, bad reason but anything he pays for is worth it!

here's some prospect loads I've gathered lately;
155gr JSP
5.4-5.9gr Titegroup (Lee manual)

180gr FMJ
5.0-5.6gr Unique (forum listed)

180gr TMJ
4.2-4.7gr Titegroup (forum listed)

Thanks for any advice.

Those are good powders, but I use Hodgdon HP-38 and load the minimum load for plinking with 165 grain FMJ. Works for me........DOC

Colorado4Wheel
09-26-2012, 07:31
Not for Cowboy Action loads or for mouse fart loads in 45. YMMV

Titegroup will always smoke more then Solo or WST because TG has Nitro in it and Solo and WST do not.

glk36lvr
09-27-2012, 03:22
Hey guys, newbie to GT. In regards to loading the 40 s&w, i would highly recommend getting a .40 "bulge removal" die from either Lee,redding or rcbs. Regular resizing dies will not remove the bulge caused by Glocks unsupported chamber because it's too far back on the case. If reloaded without removing "bulge" on case it could result in a case failure! It happened to me. luckily no one was injured and damage to gun was minor(broken mag release).I dont reload the 40 until i remove the bulge first.

unclebob
09-29-2012, 17:02
Hey guys, newbie to GT. In regards to loading the 40 s&w, i would highly recommend getting a .40 "bulge removal" die from either Lee,redding or rcbs. Regular resizing dies will not remove the bulge caused by Glocks unsupported chamber because it's too far back on the case. If reloaded without removing "bulge" on case it could result in a case failure! It happened to me. luckily no one was injured and damage to gun was minor(broken mag release).I dont reload the 40 until i remove the bulge first.

Will these myths ever die?

shotgunred
09-29-2012, 20:50
apparently not!

Taterhead
09-30-2012, 09:49
Well the term ball powder & spherical are interchangeable, but not identical. Ball powder is just that, small round grains. Spherical is a flattened ball powder, not a true flake. It's mostly in how it is made as much as the shape. Flake powders are cut, ball/spherical are formed.

Not that it is too terribly important, but there is also a practical reason for the differences in semantics. "Ball" is a registered trademark of Winchester. So if it is a spherical powder made by Winchester, it is "Ball" powder. Otherwise other manufacturers must use a term other than "ball."

Example: When Accurate made no. 7 & no. 9 in Belgium up until a couple of years ago, they were round-shaped but called "spherical." The newer lots made in USA are flattened, but still referred to as "spherical."

plasticslap
10-02-2012, 17:56

Smh...

Sent from a bush outside your window...

igolfat8
10-02-2012, 20:41
Smh...

OK, I give, what is Smh...?

PrecisionRifleman
10-02-2012, 20:45
I'm getting impressive accuracy with BlueDot and the 155XTP. I've just started loading for the 40, and received 165gr JHP Montana Gold's in the mail. I'm hoping to test these with some Longshot this weekend, and I'll post the results. Let us know what seems to work well for you when you get to test a few loads. :wavey:

F106 Fan
10-02-2012, 22:20
OK, I give, what is Smh...?

Shaking My Head!

I had to look it up...

Richard