What target should I use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What target should I use?

glock20hunter
09-10-2012, 21:12
I'm going to be testing a few loads for hunting purposes. I don't really want to do milk jugs. What's a good, readily available target I could test these in?

Ill be testing the following
Buffalo Bore 180gr
Hornady 200gr
Hornady 180gr
Winchester silver tips 175gr
Underwood 200gr xtps

I don't have Chrono so I'm just looking for penetration, expansion, accuracy, etc..

Any recommendations?

countrygun
09-10-2012, 21:43
Some body is going to come along and mention that there are test reults for those rounds already available. Just so you know.

Anyway, living near the beach and having more time than brains I like wet sand in sections of 4" or 6" tubing. It may not corelate to anything but for "relative" purposes it's fine.

Opie 1 Kenopie
09-11-2012, 22:29
I shoot some of my carry loads into old expired body armor. Not always easy to get, but it stops the rounds.

Another easy test is to just go buy 1gallon drinking water jugs. Faster and cleaner than milk jugs and it usually costs about $3 per round tested. Easy to recover the mushroomed rounds without the rotten milk smell.

mj9mm
09-11-2012, 23:24
sounds like maybe u could start saving the milk jugs for next year, this year just wet newspaper bales

alwaysshootin
09-12-2012, 05:55
Last years deer skin, a pork shoulder, and three milk jugs filled with water to catch the bullet! Or, just get the underwood, 200 grain XTP's, and go afield knowing, it will do the job.:supergrin:

Taterhead
09-12-2012, 21:52
Shoot a variety of stuff. Put water-filled jugs behind what you shoot so that you can capture the bullets. Shooting different things will give you a sense of what the different loads will do. Not scientific, but you can start to see that some loads generally will give you more confidence than the others. You can go to the butcher and get some "getting dated" meat parts. Leather, hide, wood, meat, bones, etc. Just grab a bunch of different crap to experiment with and have fun! It is fun. Take a bunch of pictures too.

You'll probably find the standard Hornady loads to be good penetrators, but not cause a lot of carnage. The UW XTP load will probably give more impressive destruction but penetrate less. The BB load (if it is the Montana Gold bullet), will likely frag. The Silvertip will give ok penetration, good expansion, and likely shed some weight.

You might consider the Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC load too. That bullet type is a smacker. I handload that bullet and I have found that it gives impressive penetration and it knocks the crap out of stuff - even at the actual velocities of around 1150 fps.