Preventing Dies from Rusting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Dies from Rusting

lunchboxtheman
09-10-2012, 21:56
I'm looking for some tips on how to keep my dies from rusting.

I have a set of Lee carbide dies for 9mm and a set of RCBS carbide dies for 308. Both sets of dies were almost comlpletely covered in surface rust after about two weeks of owning them. I have tried literally drenching them in Ballistol, Rem oil, WD40, wax, etc. You name it, I've tried it. I even reapply every day and they still rust.

They are in my basement right next to a big dehumidifier that runs round the clock. I live in Missouri where it is fairly humid but it is not particularly humid in my basement. This was a dry summer too.

While the rust is purely cosmetic at this point, I don't want it to get worse and affect the function of the dies. So, does anyone have any tips?

wallacefan
09-10-2012, 22:03
what is you humidity?

i run my basement around 40-45% and i don't see any rust
if ballistol doesn't work i dunno!
Maybe store your dies upstairs?

lunchboxtheman
09-10-2012, 22:07
what is you humidity?

i run my basement around 40-45% and i don't see any rust
if ballistol doesn't work i dunno!
Maybe store your dies upstairs?

Not sure what the humidity is - don't have a way to measure it. Might be a worthwhile investment.

I'll try storing them in my room to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

Butcher
09-10-2012, 22:11
I use those little silica gel packets for small storage containers and my safe. If you can't get rid of the water, at least you'll remove the oxygen from the equation. Just put one little packet like you'd find in a pair of new shoes and close up the dies in a small container (ex: ammo can)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Colorado4Wheel
09-10-2012, 22:11
Spray paint?

Breadman03
09-11-2012, 04:03
I got a dehumidifier for my basement and looked up the NRA recommendation-50% humidity. I set mine for it and haven't had any issues.

Eezox has done better in rust prevention tests than any other oil represented.

F106 Fan
09-11-2012, 11:45
WD40?

Richard

janice6
09-11-2012, 11:47
Wipe them well with a silicon coated gun rag.

Fuerte
09-11-2012, 13:14
Eesox (http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-eezox.html) is very good for preventing rust. My press is mounted in my garage and it gets very humid here in Texas. Eesox helps me keep the rust off of the press, dies, case gages, etc.

sig357fan
09-11-2012, 13:44
I use those little silica gel packets for small storage containers and my safe. If you can't get rid of the water, at least you'll remove the oxygen from the equation. Just put one little packet like you'd find in a pair of new shoes and close up the dies in a small container (ex: ammo can)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

+1, I do this after I dismantel and clean the die thoroughly with bore cleaner then alchol, then run the dies in my brass tumbler with crushed walnut shells, adding a cap full of mineral spirits and a cap full of Nu Finish car wax , after a couple hours, they comes out nice and shinny (just like my brass!), then a coat of Rem oil and into a small, sealable container with a desiccant silica gel pack.

sig357fan

lunchboxtheman
09-11-2012, 19:45
Good thinking on the ammo can with silica gel. I actually already have one of reusable ones inside of an ammo can for storing primers. Never dawned on me to put my dies in there too haha.

I'll look into eezox too. Thanks everyone.

michael e
09-11-2012, 20:55
Mine used to be in garage in Houston , all I did was store them in ammo cans . Now in the house and still store the same way.

PCJim
09-11-2012, 22:12
I'm in one of the more humid locales in the US, Florida. My reloading gear, including multiple caliper quick changes with dies already set, stay in a non-a/c garage. Once in a blue moon I may notice some surface rust on the dies. A good shot of Rem Oil takes care of it.

WD40, contrary to popular belief, is not a protectant. It is a water displacement fluid. Use some sort of oil, not WD40.

SJ 40
09-12-2012, 06:28
I'm in one of the more humid locales in the US, Florida. My reloading gear, including multiple caliper quick changes with dies already set, stay in a non-a/c garage. Once in a blue moon I may notice some surface rust on the dies. A good shot of Rem Oil takes care of it.

WD40, contrary to popular belief, is not a protectant. It is a water displacement fluid. Use some sort of oil, not WD40.+ 1,it would be my last choice to protect or lubricate anything,Ever. SJ 40

Zombie Steve
09-12-2012, 06:49
You could always move up to Conifer, Colorado.

Jack?

:couch:

timpar
09-12-2012, 17:19
I live in the mountain west desert, with pretty low humidity. But I did have some reloading equipment that was showing surface rust, so I rubbed some cold bluing paste that I had sitting around, on them (following directions for prepping them), and haven't seen any rust since.

And, they look way cooler, too.

SBray
09-13-2012, 18:15
The garage where I do my reloading and other work has a swamp cooler for use when it is hot. Keeping that in mind, I always try to keep metal surfaces oiled and covered.

I have noticed some surface rust on some of my Dillion dies. I just used some fine steel wool and a light coat of oil to keep it in check. I cover my reloaders and other equipment with cloth so the humidity has less of a chance of settling on the metal surfaces.

Steve

justinsaneok
09-16-2012, 17:28
I was forced to reload in a 8x12 shed here in Oklahoma after the births of my kids. Sometimes it gets really wet out here. I keep all my not currently used items toolheads, dies, primers, powders, trimmer and all metal stuff in a refrigerator with o2 absorbrs. I also give the metal stuff other than primer tubes a light coating of TC11 it's magical anti rust spray! I'm not sure if it's that stuff or that I have AC or a heater keep it around 65 all year . TC 11 does work I spray it on anything that I don't want to rust or stuff I want to stop rusting. I use it with the steel wool to remove rust from rusty things. Good stuff.

Three-Five-Seven
09-17-2012, 09:59
RCBS makes a spray lubricant precisely for this purpose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/460619/rcbs-reloading-press-maintenance-kit