What do you make of this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this?

Kentguy
09-11-2012, 14:09
Greetings,

Up here in NE Ohio where I live we have a rather large sporting goods store (huge gun-ammo & reloading section). This morning I called at 10 am to see if they had a particular type of bullet in stock. The salesman said they just got a shipment of them in last night. Later this morning I took a trip up there (about 1/2 hr drive) to buy some.

Before I got there 4 guys came into the store an bought out their entire stock of these bullets and (not as many) but quite a few from other calibers as well. The shelves looked like "Old Mother Hubbert's cubberts" Fairly empty and quite bare! In this store I have never seen them this empty... never!

I started calling around town and it seems that others are starting to do the same thing. 4 different stores have LOTS of back orders various caliber bullets especially 9mm & 45 acp Hollow points.

It's getting so that I guy can't pick up a few bullets anymore just to do a little bit or reloading.

Must be close to election time... :whistling:

SARDG
09-11-2012, 14:22
...It's getting so that I guy can't pick up a few bullets anymore just to do a little bit or reloading.

Must be close to election time... :whistling:
You should probably be considering 1000s of bullets direct from the manufacturer at this point. I have never ordered fewer than 2500 at a time. Would probably order more at once but my postman already hates me.

F106 Fan
09-11-2012, 14:30
You should probably be considering 1000s of bullets direct from the manufacturer at this point. I have never ordered fewer than 2500 at a time. Would probably order more at once but my postman already hates me.

Mine isn't thrilled either! I think one of the boxes weighed around 45# and I wasn't all that pleased about picking it up either. Once I get squatted, I don't always find it easy to get back up!

One day he came to our house first because he didn't want to keep working around the box all day. We are usually a late afternoon delivery.

Powder Valley seems very well stocked on primers and powder. Precision Delta has .40 S&W bullets ready to ship and .45 ACP show backordered. But they always do! It normally takes a couple of weeks to get .45s.

Montana Gold doesn't show anything on backorder but I'm not sure if they ever do. I have always gotten immediate shipment from MG.

I'm pretty sure S&S Casting bullets are available for the times when I simply want to load lead.

The next 4 years are going to be ugly!

Richard

Boxerglocker
09-11-2012, 15:19
I don't know why you guys get such a thrill in spreading the hysteria. It's exactly what happen last time. Panic drove the hording level up with in turn drove prices up the roof. Then guys trying to off load the excess primers them bought, lost their asses. I know several local guys that were guilty.
Here in the PNW I can tell you for a fact that I have visited several suppliers in the last 2-3 weeks including Cabela's and one of the major distributors for powders for all the others. They are all well stocked in everything. Every single online retailer that I am on an email distribution list for is well stocked and is sending sale notices. Where are you guys speculating this all from?
We a close to reaching 20% of the population being at the poverty line in the US. Regardless of what anyone's views are politically, Obama has a lot more on his plate and the way I personally see it much higher priorities that screwing with guns or reloading components.

F106 Fan
09-11-2012, 15:35
I don't know why you guys get such a thrill in spreading the hysteria. It's exactly what happen last time. Panic drove the hording level up with in turn drove prices up the roof. Then guys trying to off load the excess primers them bought, lost their asses. I know several local guys that were guilty.

Dutch Tulips circa 1637:
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-dutch-tulip-bubble-of-1637/

Here in the PNW I can tell you for a fact that I have visited several suppliers in the last 2-3 weeks including Cabela's and one of the major distributors for powders for all the others. They are all well stocked in everything. Every single online retailer that I am on an email distribution list for is well stocked and is sending sale notices. Where are you guys speculating this all from?

I have been pretty careful to say that none of my suppliers seem to be short of anything.

That said, who wants to get caught up short? The components won't ever be any cheaper so, funds available, why not buy now? The dollar becomes more worthless by the day but guns and bullets are recession proof.

Richard

fredj338
09-11-2012, 18:15
We a close to reaching 20% of the population being at the poverty line in the US. Regardless of what anyone's views are politically, Obama has a lot more on his plate and the way I personally see it much higher priorities that screwing with guns or reloading components.
That will come if he is re elected. He probably has the EO on his desk ready to go. You really think F&F was an accident by some rogue Phoenix ATF guy? Uh nope.
Yes, people will be ramping up on buying guns, ammo & components in the coming month or so. When PBO was elected, people that didin't even own guns were buyign ammo & primers to resell. Most got screwed & won;t play again, but then there are many that found them selves in a shortage situation & will want to stock up before the election. Availability is also location driven. Ther eare few gun shops in SOCal & they rape their customers on everything.:dunno:

Kentguy
09-11-2012, 18:28
boxerglocker,

WOW "spreading the hysteria", I just thought it was weird that someone(s) found the need to clean out a store of bullets. All I wanted is 200 to try a new load I wanted to work on. I guess I did not lay on the sarcasium heavy enough. It was aggravating to drive 1/2 hr only to find out the some "Hoarders felt the need to make a run on this store.

I personally find it unnecessary to "run to a store and stock up". One of the reasons I got into reloading was so that I would never have a shortage of ammo regardless of the situation.

SARDG,

I usually buy my supplies from Precision Delta, Powder Valley and sometimes from this store here (somewhat) locally.

Atomichoe094
09-11-2012, 19:00
kentguy, im from Cleveland, where are you talking about? fin feather and fur??

Kentguy
09-11-2012, 19:51
Atomichoe094,

Yes the one the N. Canton.

michael e
09-11-2012, 20:51
I ordered my yr supply few months ago. But I can still find everything local if I wanted to overpay.

ron59
09-12-2012, 13:08
Even during the shortage of 2009... bullets were still available. You might not have gotten them from your *preferred* supplier, but still available. I bought Montana Golds all through 2009 with no issues.

I shoot moly coated bullets now, but if jacketed/moly bullets start getting scarce, I would just go with lead, and if I had to.... buy lead ingots and make my own.

Bullet shortages aren't gonna hurt us like primers did during 2009.

dkf
09-12-2012, 16:43
I am not seeing shortages or empty shelves in my area. Just was at a local shop last night to pick up some XTPs for an experimental load.

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 18:50
kentguy, im from Cleveland, where are you talking about? fin feather and fur??

I was born in Cleveland in 1956! :supergrin: