45 Colt 250 gr. Speer Gold ‘’Deep Curl’’ Bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt 250 gr. Speer Gold ‘’Deep Curl’’ Bullets

Frizzen
09-11-2012, 15:47
I want to purchase these bullets to use in my 4 45 Colt clones. The Speer #14 manual is the only load source I’ve found and it seems to me that Unique or Accurate Arms #5 would be the likely choices off powder.

I have never loaded jacketed bullets in the 45 Colt, only 250 to 260 grain lead. My experience with Unique and AA #5 has always been large velocity variations of 50 to70 fps. I would like much better performance than that with Speer’s GD bullet. I also prefer the medium burn powders. Will this jacketed bullet help with more complete ignition and extreme spread? I am looking for a velocity of about 860 fps.

Several reviewers have written well of the bullets performance at 45 Colt velocities on the Midway site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/393253/speer-deepcurl-bullets-45-colt-long-colt-452-diameter-250-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

Has anyone out there chronographed these bullets in a 5.5 inch revolver?

I am also open to other powder suggestions.

fredj338
09-11-2012, 18:23
Unique will be fine. As you load above midrange, the vel spreads should get smaller. From a 4 5/8" bbl, pretty easy to get 900fps. Above that for Rugers, 2400 is a very good choice. I really have no use for a jacketed bullet in a big bore rev. A good cast lead bullet will do anything A jacketed bullet will do including expand on game.:supergrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/452-268-1K.jpg

Three-Five-Seven
09-12-2012, 08:24
If I understand the question correctly, it is: Will using jacketed bullets yield more consistent internal ballistics as compared to lead bullets?

I doubt it and have never seen any evidence to suggest that they would.

Unique is position sensitive and (somewhat) temperature sensitive. I've always gotten bigger extreme spreads with Unique than other powders. Surprisingly, this doesn't usually show up in accuracy. Unique really is unique.

You've got a very big case and you want "traditional" velocities. There are three powders that will provide greater load density at moderate intensities (in other words, they're made for this situation): IMR 4759, AA 5744, and IMR Trail Boss. Those are traditionally recommended for the job you're trying to do. Because of the bulk of these powders, they will show much more consistent internal ballistics than other choices.

Whatever powder you end up with, do a "ladder" test of load densities to find the load that is the "sweet spot" in terms of extreme spread.

Zombie Steve
09-12-2012, 12:49
Back when I was loading jacketed bullets, I worked up one with a 250 Gold Dot.

Win brass, CCI lpp, 7.8 grains of Unique loaded to 1.582" to line up with the cannelure:

High 907 feet per second

Low 827

Average 870

Extreme Spread 80

Standard Deviation 28

Twice around the wheel from my 5.5" Blackhawk...

Certainly not the tightest numbers ever, but I'll call accuracy good to very good. I don't find Unique to be overly position sensitive, but it's a factor...

I think the spread has more to do with the ample case volume than lead vs. jacketed. Not sure what the difference is between Gold Dot and Deep Curl.

These days I just shoot 250 lswc's or rnfp's.

SDGlock23
09-13-2012, 19:46
I've got quite a few of these bullets but haven't chronographed any. The factory load is kind of on the light side, and I usually like to run them with around 9gr Unique (for jacketed, 9.5gr for 250/255 lead). It's not a high pressure load, but it's stout enough. Should be less than 1000 fps.

fredj338
09-14-2012, 09:04
I've got quite a few of these bullets but haven't chronographed any. The factory load is kind of on the light side, and I usually like to run them with around 9gr Unique (for jacketed, 9.5gr for 250/255 lead). It's not a high pressure load, but it's stout enough. Should be less than 1000 fps.

Curious why you would run the lead loads harder? In all cases, you'll get the same vel & sim pressures using less powder w/a lead bullet.