Possible to make your own 12ga. mini-shells? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possible to make your own 12ga. mini-shells?

emt1581
09-11-2012, 18:59
I've always been fascinated by the mini-shells/slugs. For <100yd shots they seem to give you an extra round or even few rounds in your gun. Down side is they don't seem to feed/eject reliably in most guns.

I'm thinking if I could chop the hull slightly and not quite as short it'd give me the shorter size but better reliability.

Anyone tried this?

I'm just preparing to have some fun with my AOW when my stamp gets here within the next month or two.

EDIT: I figured it out. If I can shave off .92" I can fit an extra shell in the tube. So I'd have 4+1 instead of 3+1.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581
09-11-2012, 21:07
For some reason I don't get many, if any, replies in 12ga. threads here... :dunno:

In any case I tried cutting down the shell. I cut the wad up and just used the bowl side that borders the powder and turned that upside down so it could hold birdshot and some 00 Buck. I put a slug on top. Only problem is the shell wouldn't crimp shut. I think some dripped wax would hold it in place just fine.

But if I did 00 Buck OR a slug I think it'd work just fine. It fed perfectly fine in my Mossy.

Anyway, if anyone has anything helpful to add, please feel free.

Thanks

-Emt1581

WiskyT
09-12-2012, 18:48
So you want advice on how to shorten a shell and then guess at the load data? Just look for guys at your range with one eye and missing fingers and ask them what not to do.

snowwdog
09-12-2012, 19:04
aguila makes some really cool short 12 gauge slugs. Not to expensive. You can stuff a bunch of them in the tube. As for reloading your own i cant find any data to start from. Ill keep looking because it sounds like a fun project.

michael e
09-12-2012, 19:11
I've still got way to many other calibers bullets powder combos to play with. I rarely shoot my shotguns anymore so won't be making up rounds load data anytime soon.

Three-Five-Seven
09-13-2012, 10:02
I've tried to run the short shells in one of my '97s and it was a disaster.

Go to the Mec site. They make some kits for short shells, I think.