G17g4 trigger weight...whats the winner? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17g4 trigger weight...whats the winner?

Eaz8
09-11-2012, 19:25
i finally got my hands on a g17 gen 4.. someone is selling it after only putting a few rounds through it, he needs the $ for school and all the shops here are will sold out.
so ive shot glocks before and one thing i know is the trigger sucks.
im not looking for a competition trigger, but i want 2-3lb trigger, like i have on my sigs.
all the glocks ive shot have stiff crunchy trigers.

so Glock-Gurus : what spring, connector and all that kinda stuff should i buy for her?
i wouldnt mind a extended slide release while im at it and maybe a silver pin kit. (also torn between a harley or punisher backplate lol...these are just going to be added to the order while fixing the trigger)

thank you

JBP55
09-12-2012, 04:51
Good luck getting a non competition 2# trigger on a Glock unless it is going to be highly modified for range use only.

Rev.357
09-12-2012, 05:40
Get a 3.5lb connector & a 4lb striker spring. This can get u in the 4lb range & look on the forum a guy has a trigger mod that sweet & that will get u where u want it.

TattooedGlock
09-12-2012, 05:46
I have many glocks. Some with the 3.5 and some without. I actually find the stock trigger on the Gen 4's to feel really good and once it wears in a bit it's pretty smooth.

JBP55
09-12-2012, 07:41
Get a 3.5lb connector & a 4lb striker spring. This can get u in the 4lb range & look on the forum a guy has a trigger mod that sweet & that will get u where u want it.

If you use a 4# firing pin spring use as a range gun only. It greatly increases the possibility of light strikes unless you use a lightweight firing pin.

Keyhole
09-12-2012, 07:51
If you use a 4# firing pin spring use as a range gun only. It greatly increases the possibility of light strikes unless you use a lightweight firing pin.

+1. Must have an Ultra Light Striker with that spring.

Eaz8
09-12-2012, 08:10
Thanks guys.
I'm in canada, so its just for range, no carry permits here.

I'm going to start with the 3.5connecter. I don't want to mess with the firing pin, light strikes are not something I want to have to worry about.

It sounds like I'm going to hve to get the newer recoil spring/guide rod from glock, he's looking for his bill from the store he got it from. I think he got it late 2010 and he said he did not have any issues and didn't replace it.

Arc Angel
09-12-2012, 08:32
JBP55 has given you good advice. You don't want a 2-3# trigger pull on a Glock; and you certainly don't want to use a 4# striker spring on a, 'serious pistol'. The factory's optional striker springs go in the opposite direction by offering higher weight springs in both 26 and 31 Newtons. (5.7 and 8#'s, respectively)

Glock's are definitely NOT postal target pistols; and, in my experience, they don't respond well to that sort of modification. (Neither do I regard any SIG I've ever fired - including a, 'short throw DAK' model - as a target pistol, either.)

If you want an extraordinary Glock trigger, get something from Charlie Vanek. (Just ditch the 4# spring he often includes as an option for people who've just got to have one!) Personally, I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like the triggers on my Glock pistols. I did them myself. The mechanisms are mirror-polished and include: LWD trigger stops, and 6# trigger and striker springs.

Right now you're (classically) focused on trigger pull. After you've owned a Glock for awhile I think your focus will switch to the very best TRIGGER RESET you're able to obtain. This means that you're going to want to use a trigger stop from either Ghost, Inc. or LWD; a 4.5# or a new, 'dot' connector, and heavier - not lighter - striker and trigger springs.

Eaz8
09-12-2012, 10:28
Arc angel,
Polishing is on the list as well, I've seen the 10 cent trigger job threads.

So are you saying I should buy a trigger stop, and a polish job and I should be good with that?
What is the point in a heavier striker spring? Does it make the pull heavier but more chrisp on release?

Once I get my trigger set up properly I'm going to have to duplicate it for my bro in law on his gen4.

Arc Angel
09-12-2012, 18:35
Arc Angel,

Polishing is on the list as well, I've seen the 10 cent trigger job threads. So are you saying I should buy a trigger stop, and a polish job and I should be good with that? What is the point in a heavier striker spring? Does it make the pull heavier but more chrisp on release? .......

It's a, '25 cent' polishing job! :)

Many of us, 'GT regulars' have turned it into a, '$1.50 polishing job'. Me? I have laboriously mirror-polished ever single internal component on all 3 of my Glock pistols (including the lock blocks). I've, now, lost count of the number of compliments I've received on my Glock triggers; and many of them from experienced Glock owners, too!

The most, 'left-handed' of these compliments came from a local Gunsmith who seems to have a love affair going with CZ pistols. One afternoon we traded pistols. I shot the CZ for awhile; (I liked it!) and he shot my Glock 19. When he handed the G-19 back to me he looked, sort of, disgusted and said; 'That's NOT a Glock.' 'The trigger is too good!' :supergrin:

You don't absolutely positively need a trigger stop. It's handy for me because I like to shoot fast and, consequently, need to, 'tap' the trigger and recapture my sight picture as quickly as possible. I really don't care about all the, 'front-end mush' on a Glock's trigger pull; BUT, I do care about what happens at the end of the trigger stroke.

A heavier striker spring is going to do two things for you: First, it will help you to survive by guaranteeing that a wide variety of different primers will ignite when your striker hits them. Second, a heavier striker spring will produce a more noticeable trigger reset, AND it nicely balances that 6# coil trigger spring I've, also, recommend for you to use.

There is an intimate and complimentary relationship between all three of a Glock pistol's 3 principal springs: recoil, trigger, and striker. The more closely balanced these 3 springs are, the better the trigger is going to feel; AND the better the pistol is going to shoot.

Just so you know: The most critical to adjust part of every Glock trigger mechanism is the firing pin safety and its spring. This is one part that I polish, 'the heck' out of and recontour the button-head's UPPER radius. Some people like to use a lighter FP safety spring; but I do not. I stay with the factory standard and a very high polish job.

Hope this helps you out! :cool:

PS: While I'm not, 'crazy' about any of them: There are a number of YouTube videos on Glock trigger jobs and polishing. You might want to go over a few for pointers.

bigtimelarry
09-12-2012, 18:51
Vanek Classic Kit, use the 4.5 Striker spring he supplies.. 2.5lb trigger like no other..

Eaz8
09-12-2012, 19:07
It's a, '25 cent' polishing job! :)

Many of us, 'GT regulars' have turned it into a, '$1.50 polishing job'. Me? I have laboriously mirror-polished ever single internal component on all 3 of my Glock pistols (including the lock blocks). I've, now, lost count of the number of compliments I've received on my Glock triggers; and many of them from experienced Glock owners, too!

The most, 'left-handed' of these compliments came from a local Gunsmith who seems to have a love affair going with CZ pistols. One afternoon we traded pistols. I shot the CZ for awhile; (I liked it!) and he shot my Glock 19. When he handed the G-19 back to me he looked, sort of, disgusted and said; 'That's NOT a Glock.' 'The trigger is too good!' :supergrin:

You don't absolutely positively need a trigger stop. It's handy for me because I like to shoot fast and, consequently, need to, 'tap' the trigger and recapture my sight picture as quickly as possible. I really don't care about all the, 'front-end mush' on a Glock's trigger pull; BUT, I do care about what happens at the end of the trigger stroke.

A heavier striker spring is going to do two things for you: First, it will help you to survive by guaranteeing that a wide variety of different primers will ignite when your striker hits them. Second, a heavier striker spring will produce a more noticeable trigger reset, AND it nicely balances that 6# coil trigger spring I've, also, recommend for you to use.

There is an intimate and complimentary relationship between all three of a Glock pistol's 3 principal springs: recoil, trigger, and striker. The more closely balanced these 3 springs are, the better the trigger is going to feel; AND the better the pistol is going to shoot.

Just so you know: The most critical to adjust part of every Glock trigger mechanism is the firing pin safety and its spring. This is one part that I polish, 'the heck' out of and recontour the button-head's UPPER radius. Some people like to use a lighter FP safety spring; but I do not. I stay with the factory standard and a very high polish job.

Hope this helps you out! :cool:

PS: While I'm not, 'crazy' about any of them: There are a number of YouTube videos on Glock trigger jobs and polishing. You might want to go over a few for pointers.
great info - thanks!

youtube is 90% hacks, so you have to take everything on there with a grain of salt.

right...25 cent not 10..lol.. it was a while back that i was reading on it. i cant believe the stores are still unable to get the gen4's in considering the glock 17 came out soo long ago.
anyway, glad i came across the one i did and i saved about $170 with tax on it too(they list for $730 in canada...).
transfer started today, so i should have it in 5-10 days, private sales take longer in canada, stores can knock it out in 1-3 days.

the reset isnt the biggest deal for me right now, maybe ill just do the 3.5 connector and polish her up.

do you use just a polishing compound or superfine diamond stones?
im lazy, so it will be a dremil powered polishing job, i dont know how people polish anything by hand.

i dont think i want a lighter firing pin spring, chancing light strikes is not something i want to do.
whats the point in modifying something to make it maybe not work?

as for the CZ..the Shadow is amazing. i was shooting a pie-plate at 100 yards with 50% on target with one last time i was at the range.

ive been shooting for less than a year, but probably have 8000 rounds down the pipe of pistols.
when i go out the the range my rule is bring a crapload of ammo and shoot till you have to leave. dont limit the amount of ammo you bring because you will end up on empty and having to wait for your friends to finish.

Arc Angel
09-12-2012, 19:44
great info - thanks!

youtube is 90% hacks, so you have to take everything on there with a grain of salt.

You got THAT right! :supergrin:

....... the reset isnt the biggest deal for me right now, maybe ill just do the 3.5 connector and polish her up.

In 3rd generation Glocks it's actually a, '4.5# connector'. There is no such thing as a, '3.5# connector'; that was always just an advertising term. On Gen4 pistols the, 'dot connector' is, I believe, a 5# connector; and you might be very happy with your new Gen4 Glock just the way it comes from the factory.

do you use just a polishing compound or superfine diamond stones? im lazy, so it will be a dremil powered polishing job, i dont know how people polish anything by hand.

Actual jeweler's rouge (either, 'red' or, 'white') is too messy to work with. (It gets all over everything!) I prefer to use either Flitz Metal Polish, or else Simichrome. I always use a Dremel Tool. Quite frankly, anything else is just a giant waste of time!

The only time I work with jeweler's rouge is when I've got a piece of badly tarnished metal that needs to be cleaned up. First, I'll use a commercial metal polish and, then, the Dremel Tool and rouge. (Although I often go faster, 2,500 to 3,500 RPM on a cloth wheel is, about, right for most polishing jobs.)

....... as for the CZ..the Shadow is amazing. i was shooting a pie-plate at 100 yards with 50% on target with one last time i was at the range.

Couldn't agree with you more! :thumbsup:

There are days when I think the CZ, 'Shadow' is the way that I should have gone when I was out looking for a new 9mm pistol. ;)

Eaz8
09-12-2012, 19:53
placing my order now..
what is this?
http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GhostConnectors/GHO-2105ABA9.htm

looks to be the 3.5 connector and the short reset

Keyhole
09-12-2012, 20:19
Arc Angel, mind sharing a pic of your rounded FP safety?

Eaz8
09-12-2012, 20:54
i ordered the regular 3.5 by LW and will do some polishing and see how it comes out.
then move on from there.
also the Harley Davidson slide cover plate and a 3 pin chrome kit and extended chrome slide release.

there goes $100 LOL

Arc Angel
09-13-2012, 11:27
Arc Angel, mind sharing a pic of your rounded FP safety?

Here, read this:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410592

Mine are not as heavily profiled as, 'Fastfordsrus' is using; but they are shiny, 'like the sun'.

Eaz8
09-16-2012, 16:51
so i was using my friends glock 17 gen 4 today. hes got the 3.5 connector, polish job and a rubber slip on grip.
i think for now just the connector and a polish job will do, and the rubber slip on really reduced of the spring feeling of every shot.
i was shocked, but today i was shooting better with his glock than with my sig.
i set up 2 rows of 4 targets and shot the glock at the lower 4 and sig at top 4, i shot the glock way better than i shot the sig today.
im not claiming to be a great shot...because obviously im not..but i can hit what i point at lol

Eaz8
09-24-2012, 22:57
ive set up my trigger and my bro in laws trigger..with some similar and some diferent parts.

mine - polish job and 3.5 lonewolf connector
his - polish job, 3.5 connector by ghost with cut to fit reset, 6lb trigger spring, reduced weight striker spring and the plunger spring.

moving his slide with reduced springs to my trigger i notice a difference, but not enough for me to risk light strikes..didnt change his firing pin..yet.. i dont know what weight of springs he put in...but we will see how it goes.
i think im going to add a 6lb trigger spring to mine..his trigger was more crisp.

Eaz8
10-11-2012, 20:11
well after shooting both setups i found i like the 3.5 connector and the polish job best.
im going to leave my springs and the rest of it as is.

INEEDMILK
10-11-2012, 20:29
I have many glocks. Some with the 3.5 and some without. I actually find the stock trigger on the Gen 4's to feel really good and once it wears in a bit it's pretty smooth.

I as well. My Gen4 trigger after 6k rounds is perfect.

dakrat
10-11-2012, 20:42
I have had 2 lbs trigger on my Gen4 G35. I am now back to stock 5.5 trigger and I shoot them the same in a match. there is no replacement for practice and you cannot buy accuracy.

SARDG
10-12-2012, 00:13
I have had 2 lbs trigger on my Gen4 G35. I am now back to stock 5.5 trigger and I shoot them the same in a match. there is no replacement for practice and you cannot buy accuracy.
You can buy some additional pure accuracy to a small degree in an action/combat pistol like Glock, but real improvement and skill comes from knowing the fundamentals and lots of practice exercising them.

Within my Glocks, I will always shoot a better competition score with my better (Unlimited) trigger, than I do with my stock or merely polished triggers - but so many skillful shooters can shoot better scores with a completely stock gun and trigger than I can with my Unlimited gun.

Skill trumps parts every time.