Looking for a new 22lr what to buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new 22lr what to buy?

JDennis
09-13-2012, 10:22
I have decided to put up my mint model 57 winchester 22. It was my grandfathers, then my dads, now mine and after serving me for 20 years I am looking for something to replace it. Just want to keep it mint and make it more of a keepsake. I have seen a lot of good info on the 10/22 but am curious about the ar style 22lr's. I mainly use it for plinking and squirrel/rabbit. Would the ar styles be ok to hunt with or worth it to hunt with? I know my AR is awesome and super accurate but no friends have the 22lr versions so I have no way of trying one out. I would say my 22 use is 80% screwing around and 20% hunting.

emtjr928
09-13-2012, 11:09
Several guys shoot steel challenge matches where I shoot with the s&w
Versions and do quite well.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

amacro
09-13-2012, 11:28
Try an after market 22 caliber bolt for your AR- :wiggle:

lwt210
09-13-2012, 11:52
I would take a serious look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 in Realtree camo.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71974

Mine is a good deal "greener" looking than the one on that website.

After years of buying guns and being somewhat disappointed with the quality of the last few I purchased, my M&P 15-22 has restored my faith in modern manufacturers.

My son and I took ours straight from the gunshop to the range. No pre-oiling, no cleaning....fresh out of the box.....and fired about 1000 rounds. No cleaning or oiling during that session.

We fired it from all sorts of positions with two different types of Federal ammo. Rapid fire, controlled fire, slow fire, etc.

We had one FTF that I chalk up to the ammo as the primer edge had a good dent in it. The thing ran like a champ.

The camo version comes with a 10 round mag that should be suitable for hunting pretty much anywhere. If you don't have capacity restrictions for hunting where you live, you can also get 25 round factory mags for less than 20 bucks a piece. The relatively low price of the extra factory mags was a factor in my decision.

All we did to ours was put a foregrip on the rails. It has a quad rail and flat top rail which would allow you to mount pretty much anything you want to it. It operates just like an AR 15 right down to the last shot bolt hold open.

Great gun. Might be just what you need.

michael e
09-13-2012, 13:04
I love my mp15-22. Extra mags are cheap, runs great with rem525 packs I use in all my other 22's.

ditto1958
09-13-2012, 16:08
Ruger makes a version of the 10/22 called the SR22, if what you are really looking for is a tactical style rifle.

There also are .22lr versions of the AR-15, such as Umarex.

If you want a more traditional rifle, I have the 10/22, and the Marlin 60. Both are excellent semi-auto rifles that won't break your bank.

I also have a Henry .22 lever gun. It is very accurate, has a real walnut stock, and fires 22 short, long and lr. It is actually becoming my favorite .22 rifle.

toshbar
09-13-2012, 17:17
Look at the Marlin 795. Extremely accurate and only $140 or so. Not as much aftermarket support as a 10/22, but a darn great rifle, especially with some Tech-Sights.

John Eastwood
09-13-2012, 17:55
I have a Stag Model 3 with the CMMG .22LR bolt conversion. It is reliable with MiniMags and the best groups I can get prone, with a non-magnified AimPoint Comp M2, is 4''.

It is not accurate at all as far as .22LR standards but it rocks with steel out to 50 yards. I don't even shoot it in .223 anymore.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/JohnEastwood/1330614653809.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/JohnEastwood/IMG_20120810_194746.jpg

ARP
09-13-2012, 18:01
if you are familiar/comfortable with an AR platform, the S&W MP is the way to go. Also consider Colt Umarex. I was not familiar with ANY tactical style rifle so I looked at all of them and picked the one that felt best to me, the Sig Sauer 522. More metal than all the other .22lr tactical type rifles, super simple to break down and clean up, so far runs like a sewing machine for me with about 1500 rounds thru.

JaPes
09-13-2012, 18:30
If you want the best accuracy & one of the better dedicated AR15 22lr's on the market, take a look at the S&W M&P 15-22 Performance Center (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786028_-1_757904_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y). It has a tighter chamber than the standard 15-22, giving the PC version more inherent accuracy. The trade off is that CCI-Stingers are a no-go.

Now if you decide not to go with an AR15 .22lr, check out the Ruger 22 Charger (http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html). It's the pistol form of the 10/22. Since it's based on the 10/22 platform, there is an amazing amount of after-market support. You can tune the trigger with aftermarket parts...install a scope of your choice...

JaPes
09-13-2012, 18:34
Also consider Colt Umarex.

I politely disagree. Stay away from the Umarex Colt M4 & Umarex HK416. I'm a former Umarex Colt owner. It was the biggest pile of stink ever.

OP, if you want details and pictures of why, let me know. I think there is an old thread here on GT that has it. If not, I'll PM you a link to a post on a different forum where I have a write up.

ojabog
09-13-2012, 19:04
Ruger SR22. Any Ruger 10/22 is a worthy choice.

JDennis
09-13-2012, 22:31
My AR is the 2012 model s&w moe edition. It has been absolutely flawless and eaten every grain ammo i have thrown at it. I would probably lean towards the s&w 15/22 for a AR style. The 10/22 seems to be a good choice for a 22 long rifle it sounds like. I guess what would be the accuracy difference between a AR style vs rifle my 60+ y/o model 57 is spot on at 75 yards. The newer AR styles that accurate?

lwt210
09-15-2012, 10:14
My AR is the 2012 model s&w moe edition. It has been absolutely flawless and eaten every grain ammo i have thrown at it. I would probably lean towards the s&w 15/22 for a AR style. The 10/22 seems to be a good choice for a 22 long rifle it sounds like. I guess what would be the accuracy difference between a AR style vs rifle my 60+ y/o model 57 is spot on at 75 yards. The newer AR styles that accurate?

I find that the S&W M&P 15-22 is very accurate with Federal Champion and Automatch. I haven't bench rested it but in my session the other day, I had no problems punching out the center of a target at 50 yards. That was with the peep sights. With optics, I would imagine the groups are quite tight with the right ammo.

I own a 10/22 as well and, while mine is tricked out, when it was factory, it was accurate as well.

I also have a Charger that was bought just a few years ago. My 10/22 was purchased several years ago. I could see a distinct decline in fit and finish between the two.

I'd opt for the Smith. It's that good of a rifle. If you are concerned with accuracy, go with the PC version and just stay away from Stinger ammo. The chambers are cut different......I would imagine similar to a Bentz chamber like my 10/22 aftermarket bull barrel has.

Delmonte67
09-15-2012, 10:56
I was doing some shooting with some buddies, and one of them pulled out a new Smith&W. M&P15 .22 MOE, we shot all day with this rifle for pennies! We all know what higher caliber ammo costs these days. I fell in love with this awesome AR style gun and so did 3 of my other buddies, so like 2 days later we all put one in layaway! My wallet loves it too (and my wife) picked up packs of 50 rounds of Federal .22 LR for $1.88 at Walmart! Bought like 20 packs! My friends and I are gonna start a "Top shot" style .22 challenge every few weeks just because these are such fun and cheap to shoot! If you do buy this rifle, spend the extra cash on the MOE version,(about an extra $100) AWESOME Magpul extras- flip sights, grip, better buttstock ect... to add these later individually will cost way more, and they just make the gun more BADASS-lol! Also don't forget you can order it in the Dark Earth(Tan)color scheme too! Out of all my guns its now a favorite! And by the way this did get "Rifle of the year" last year. It just performs flawlessly. Have fun bro! D.

CDR_Glock
09-15-2012, 20:59
An Ar-15 22 LR upper is a fine idea. So is the S&W 22 AR.

I opted for a Sig 522, mainly because I wanted a heavier feel. However, the end result is the same. It's a great round for practicing fundamentals.

jpwalnuthill
09-16-2012, 17:31
Have several different 22's but the Henry Lever action i bought a couple of months ago has become my favorite. Very accurate. My old favorite, the 10/22 is lonely in the safe now.

allegro
09-16-2012, 19:17
Hard to beat the Ruger 10/22 with all its options and after-market add ons.

BuckeyePPC
09-17-2012, 12:34
Just bought a 100 year old Remington M12A pump at the gun show yesterday for $200. Shot 100 rounds of 5 different manufactured .22LR with no problems at all. Great wood, smooth action. Very excited.

BuckeyePPC
09-17-2012, 12:43
Sorry. Duplicate post

Tyler0987
10-05-2012, 19:21
i recently bought a Ruger 10/22 and its been an awsome plicker. have it sighted in at 100 yards. will all the aftermaket suppot im looking into a bull barrel and thumbhole stock.

Shinytop
10-05-2012, 20:17
I bought a 15-22 on Wednesday. Went to the range today and fired about 500 rounds of CCI minimag. Not one fail to fire or any other issue. Did have to zero the sights but that is no biggie. Out to 50 yards very accurate with the iron sights. It does feel very plastic and the butt's longest extension would probably not be enough for a tall person, I am 5'9" and would not have minded a little longer length. But it is fun to shoot. The magazine design makes reloading the 25 rounds very easy. I bought so I could shoot more without breaking the bank and it fulfills that admirably. I was thinking about the Ruger 522 but the reviews I read indicated it was well built but much pickier on ammo than the S&W. Just Google Ruger 522 Review and S&W 15-22 review.

TexasVine
10-14-2012, 17:16
Recently picked up the H&K 416D 22LR. Ran 100 rounds smoothly through it today and was very accurate with stock sight at 50 yards. It was a great deal of fun to shoot and I see shooting this a lot due to the "fun factor" and low cost of ammo. I wanted a rifle that I can share with friends when visiting that would be easy to handle and exciting to shoot.

From H&K:
The .22 caliber HK 416 is loaded with authentic features. From its appearance, feel, and operation, right down to the sling swivel incorporated into the stock, the 416 D145RS is a replica in every sense.

Like all the .22LR H&Ks offered by Umarex, the 416 is a dedicated .22 rimfire rifle. It is engineered and built in Germany by Carl Walther with a match grade precision barrel, upper and lower metal receivers, a retractable stock, and a machined rail interface system. The 416’s pistol grip and buttstock are authentic in that they include storage compartments for small tools or batteries.

The magazines for the .22 caliber 416 are made of high-strength polymer and are designed to make loading simple and efficient. They’re available in either a 20- or 10-round version. The estimated retail price for the 416 rifle is $559.
Operation

The .22 caliber HK 416 D145RS operates on a blowback system. The dust cover functions and the bolt holds open when the magazine empties. Its sights are on-rail and the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Its safety selector rotates 90 degrees from ‘On Safe’ to ‘Fire’. Take down for basic cleaning is simple—there are no loose parts. Just remove the rear receiver pin and pivot the upper receiver to open.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/Klozures/IMG_0976.jpg

vafish
10-15-2012, 05:34
I have decided to put up my mint model 57 winchester 22. It was my grandfathers, then my dads, now mine and after serving me for 20 years I am looking for something to replace it. Just want to keep it mint and make it more of a keepsake. I have seen a lot of good info on the 10/22 but am curious about the ar style 22lr's. I mainly use it for plinking and squirrel/rabbit. Would the ar styles be ok to hunt with or worth it to hunt with? I know my AR is awesome and super accurate but no friends have the 22lr versions so I have no way of trying one out. I would say my 22 use is 80% screwing around and 20% hunting.

Get a dedicated .22lr upper for your AR.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ditto1958
10-15-2012, 07:48
Have several different 22's but the Henry Lever action i bought a couple of months ago has become my favorite. Very accurate. My old favorite, the 10/22 is lonely in the safe now.

Wow, same thing happened to me. Cant exactly say why, but my 10/22 is now pretty lonely, too. I can't recommend the Henry highly enough. It is my favorite.

HexHead
10-15-2012, 08:03
I went "old school" with a Marlin 981T bolt action. I wanted a tube mag, since it uses .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle. During the ammo drought of 2008-9, it became apparent that you couldn't even count on finding .22LR.
I put a scope on it and a small 1913 rail bipod mount attached to the front swivel. It's plenty of fun to shoot, I can load single rounds on the bench and it's very accurate.

HiPowerGuy
10-30-2012, 07:37
Hmmm I was typing out a msg here and it....disappeared..o well..Anyways, I started out with a Ruger 10-22 that now only has the original receiver left on it. Replaced the stock with a PWS thumbhole in blue and silver, a whistle pig barrell that is blue to gray fade, duracoated the receiver Sig 551 gray, volks. trigger parts, Kidd bolt and bolt handle, guide rod & springs Nikon scope, etc, etc. Then I purchased a GSG 522SD which looks exactly like a H & K MP5 with the built in suppresor, looks and shoot great!!, no issues with either rifle. Then I acquired a J.C. Higgens for about $35 as a project gun, and recently could not pass up a 90 y/old Remington 12a PUMP action that is all apart at the moment getting cleaned and then reblued and refinished. I have a 10-22 that is 90% done that is a M1 Carbine replica, and am considering getting a .22lr conversion kit for my AR. They are all fun and bring somethig different to the shoot. I still need to get a bolt action, which the CZ looks pretty darn nice, and then one I have ALWAYS wanted, a made in Belgium Browning .22 semi take down in mint condition. That one is perobaly going to cost about $7-900 for an made in Belgium in new or close to new,, mint condition.

They are all so much fun to shoot, although I need to find a place other than the range to plink and have some realy fun, like when I was a kid. BUt those places are hard to find unless ou know someone who owns the land.

So for some advice, u have PLENTY to choose from, the S & W is an excellent choice to start. Cause once u buy one, and u can ask around here, it probably will not be your last one. :-)

JDennis
10-30-2012, 08:06
I am planning on getting a ruger 10/22 in the next couple of months. But for now I just finished my .22lr build. Went with stag arms lower and built a true .22lr AR. The upper is basically a nordic but another company that nordic builds their .22lr uppers for.

Rick O'Shay
10-31-2012, 06:54
I'd recommend an older Marlin lever action, a Winchester 9422, or tube fed Winchester bolt action. Maybe a Remington tube fed bolt action.

I have had poor performance from my S&W M&P15-22 (the ONLY M&P problem, btw), and if you want to shoot the cheap, bulk ammo, I'd stay far away from semi-autos altogether.

I really love my Taurus 9-shot revolver, and my Winchester M72 (tube fed bolt). I even have a vintage Winchester 75 Target that has a very long bull barrel, and it's a tack driver, but only a 5-shot magazine.

mac66
10-31-2012, 14:13
The thing about the 10/22 is that you can make it into anything you want it to be including an AR type rifle...And then change it back. Something to consider.

countrygun
10-31-2012, 17:17
I have over 2 dozen .22s dating from the early 1900's to today. I am rather hard to impress and, frankly I have never been a 10/22 fan even though I ended up with two of them. I have to say the 10/22 TD has finally impressed me. I liked the way the stock felt (unlike the standard stocks) and bought it on the spot.

I think a simple takedown has a lot of potential in a "knock around" gun.

PhotoFeller
10-31-2012, 17:55
The 10-22 take down is my favorite .22. It's reliable, its good lookin', and the take down feature makes transportation easy and damage free. The light weight of this rifle makes it a dream to carry for squirrels or just woods walking. For fun shooting, the high capacity mags are well...fun.

MarkCO
10-31-2012, 20:03
You should look at the Nordic Components .22LR uppers. They are very reliable, accurate and have great customer support. There is a reason the majority of top tier 3-Gun shooters who use an AR in .22LR for practice have the Nordics.

JDennis
10-31-2012, 20:57
You should look at the Nordic Components .22LR uppers. They are very reliable, accurate and have great customer support. There is a reason the majority of top tier 3-Gun shooters who use an AR in .22LR for practice have the Nordics.

I am a huge Nordic fan, but their 22 lr uppers are out of stock till past christmas. The 22 lr upper i went with is made by nordic. So is 98% a Nordic. The contract for the other company is most of the reason why Nordic is backordered.

I am strongly considering a 10/22 stainless take down for a more traditional .22 but a part of me wants to go old school with a lever action
Haha

MarkCO
10-31-2012, 21:28
Well, Henry Golden Boy then...:)

omega48038
11-03-2012, 18:45
Just bought a 100 year old Remington M12A pump at the gun show yesterday for $200. Shot 100 rounds of 5 different manufactured .22LR with no problems at all. Great wood, smooth action. Very excited.
Congratulations on the model 12, great little rifle. Just took mine to a fun woods walk steel shoot and it held it's own against all the modern guns, plus it got a lot more oohs and aahs than all the tricked out 10-22s and Henrys. Everyone wanted to try it out, and everyone's impression was ''wow, this thing's a blast''.

JDennis
11-03-2012, 19:29
My local gun shop has one of those for sale. Been there for months! I may check it out since it is dirt cheap. How many rounds does it hold?

jm951
11-05-2012, 08:24
Well, it depends on what you want to do with it. For Steel Challenge, the S&W is a great rifle. For general hunting and plinking, a basic 10/22 or Rem 597 isn't a bad choice. If you're looking for accuracy, the CZ is great.

But there's one bolt rifle that I haven't seen mentioned here and that's the Savage FVSR. For about $230, it comes with a great trigger (far and away better than a 10/22 or 597), a heavy fluted barrel and has a threaded muzzle ready for a suppressor. The threads on the CZ are european and you'll have to have an adapter (extra $$). The threads on the Savage are US. I've just started breaking mine in and so far it's shooting 1/2 groups at 50yds with Rem bulk. After break in, I'll try out some accuracy ammo. There are a number of guy reporting 3/8 at 50 with good ammo.

So depends on what you want to do. I had a 10/22. Upgrades can quickly lead to same money for a CZ. Rem 597 trigger is horrible, but the rifle can be accurate. Good trigger for the 597 costs as much as the rifle. The S&W is in the same money range as the CZ but generally nowhere near as accurate. Regardless what you choose, they're all fun.