SPP issues and the Blue Press [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SPP issues and the Blue Press

PCJim
09-13-2012, 21:03
Every month when the Blue Press magazine arrives (much to the disliking of she who makes my life much easier), I always take a very long look at the cover and then turn first to page 19 for the writeup.

This month, with the October edition, Dillon pulled one over on me. To my dismay, the usual writeup wasn't there. Instead, Dillon decided to publish a letter received from the owner of a 650 press, wherein the operator describes his disdain of the recent appearance of the SPP in 45acp cases. Yes, Richard (aka F106), you're not alone.

Seems that this particular owner mixed some SPP in with his LPP brass and set off the entire primer magazine. Honestly, I'm sure there are many reloaders on Dillon and other manufacturer's presses that have done the same numerous times. How this time set off a primer that detonated the entire primer magazine is a little shocking.

What Dillon did accomplish though, in placing the article in this particular location, is cause me to search thru the issue twice in search of the writeup on their blonde darling.

Mogollon, you can pass along my comments... :wavey:

Boxerglocker
09-13-2012, 22:03
It makes me wonder how long that guy had actually been loading on a Dillon? The leverage on the XL650 for priming is so great IMO that once I feel any bit of extra resistance... I STOP to assess immediately. I load a lot of 5.56 crimped LC brass and deswage on a Dillon Super Swage 600 and yes occasionally I miss one. It never has been an issue for me to notice it by feel alone. I would think trying to force a LPP in a SPP pocket would take a significant amount of effort. :dunno:

F106 Fan
09-13-2012, 22:22
I stopped using my RCBS Green Machine after I blew up a primer. The priming station is directly under the powder measure and I thought it would be really bad if the powder blew up.

This seems to be the problem that the BATFE was concerned about when they sent me a letter right after I bought the press stating that they would investigate any explosions that might occur on the Green Machine.

So, I bought a 1050 to replace the Green Machine. Now the priming station is a little way away from the powder measure.

And then I bought a 650. Once again, the powder measure is directly over the priming station. I'm waiting for another letter.

Richard

shotgunred
09-14-2012, 05:54
I think that you are worried over nothing. While I have heard of several people blowing a primer, or even all the primers in the machine no one has mentioned catching the powder on fire.

F106 Fan
09-14-2012, 06:35
With good housekeeping, probably not. The Green Machine uses a Lil Dandy rotor type powder measure so the hopper is pretty well isolated. The slide on the Dillon measure serves the same purpose.

However, it was a perfectly good excuse to upgrade to the 1050, right? :)

I have seen photos of exploded primer tubes and they certainly have gotten my attention. None of them were a result of exploding a primer during seating.

But now we have a case where a 650 priming system blew completely apart. Perhaps its because there are several primers on the rotating disk quite close together and they lead back to the primer tube. On the 550 (and even the Green Machine), there is only one primer on the feed mechanism and it is quite a long way back to the feed tube.

We just need to be careful and try to separate the brass. Then send the SPP stuff to a landfill where it can rot in peace!

Richard

cajun_chooter
09-14-2012, 07:40
With good housekeeping, probably not. The Green Machine uses a Lil Dandy rotor type powder measure so the hopper is pretty well isolated. The slide on the Dillon measure serves the same purpose.

i have seen photos of exploded primer tubes and they certainly have gotten my attention. None of them were a result of exploding a primer during seating.

But now we have a case where a 650 priming system blew completely apart. Perhaps its because there are several primers on the rotating disk quite close together and they lead back to the primer tube. On the 550 (and even the Green Machine), there is only one primer on the feed mechanism and it is quite a long way back to the feed tube.

We just need to be careful and try to separate the brass. Then send the SPP stuff to a landfill where it can rot in peace!

Richard

OK i'll bite... what is SPP stuff ?

Hoser
09-14-2012, 07:45
OK i'll bite... what is SPP stuff ?

Small Pistol Primer brass. Kind of a new thing in 45 ACP.

Boxerglocker
09-14-2012, 08:05

i have seen photos of exploded primer tubes and they certainly have gotten my attention. None of them were a result of exploding a primer during seating.

Richard

You can send it to me... I'll use it, eventually :supergrin:

F106 Fan
09-14-2012, 08:17
You can send it to me... I'll use it, eventually :supergrin:

That's the whole problem right there!

I believe in Karma and six degrees of separation. First, what goes around, comes around (Karma). If I send the brass to you, you will shoot and drop it in a 'lost brass' match. Someone will eventually pick it up, reload it, and drop it somewhere else. Within 6 iterations (degrees of separation), it will be laying on the ground along with my brass. What went around, came around! Bad Karma...

The stuff must be destroyed in such a way that it can never be used. My solution is to send it to a landfill and hope that it doesn't get separated at the transfer station (where they paw through all the trash looking for recyclables). I guess I could crush the cases but, so far, I haven't gone that far around the bend.

Richard

ustate
09-14-2012, 08:48
It makes me wonder how long that guy had actually been loading on a Dillon? The leverage on the XL650 for priming is so great IMO that once I feel any bit of extra resistance... I STOP to assess immediately. I load a lot of 5.56 crimped LC brass and deswage on a Dillon Super Swage 600 and yes occasionally I miss one. It never has been an issue for me to notice it by feel alone. I would think trying to force a LPP in a SPP pocket would take a significant amount of effort. :dunno:

I load on a 550 but I'm the same way. If the primer doesn't glide in nice and smooth something is wrong.

dkf
09-14-2012, 09:16
I load on a 550 but I'm the same way. If the primer doesn't glide in nice and smooth something is wrong.

There are too many people that cannot figure that out. Their first instinct is just to push harder and force it.

SPIN2010
09-14-2012, 09:17

I second that.

Also, that is the nice thing about the 550 ... no case feeding (never saw a case feeder that fed well without messing with it constantly). With manual you can catch your problems before they happen as you sort your brass (if you look at your case).

unclebob
09-14-2012, 09:41
First I was disappointed that she had a ring on her finger. Then I turned to page 19 also and was further disappointed that there was an article about a guy whining about small pistol primer cases in 45 ACP. At first I thought it was Richard.
Putting perfectly good brass in a land fill to me is just plain wrong. At some point 45 ACP brass will all be small pistol primed. All I can say is get over it.
As for the guy setting off all of the primers. Yes if you try and jam a large primer in a small primer hole yes it is going to go off. The loader must learn to fill the primer starting to go into the primer pocket if not he needs to stop and find out what is wrong. I know of one person that has set off all the primers at least 3 times that I know of. He loads at one speed and it is not slow. As for seating primers under a powder measure. For one there is on powder in the case, the flame has to travel up for about 9 and then make a 90 degree turn. Go through metal to reach the powder. Even if that could happen you would have a fire not an explosion.
Yes you will destroy some parts on the primer assembly, the first primer assembly that my friend set off the primers in. he called Dillon they sent him an all new primer assembly. And I bought the one he destroyed from him. Spare parts kit and with the extras we had, I now have two primer assemblies.
Yes you can set off all the primers in a 650 as you can in just about any progressive press. For that matter just about any press that you seat primers on you can set them off. Im sure if it was known probably someone has set off a primer using a hand held priming tool. Setting off a primer is not like the end of the word like some people try and make it out to be. Even all the primers in a 650.

F106 Fan
09-14-2012, 10:37
I second that.

Also, that is the nice thing about the 550 ... no case feeding (never saw a case feeder that fed well without messing with it constantly).

The 650 and 1050 case feeders work fine. I even hacked a Dillon case feeder onto the Green Machine and it worked fine.

When they don't work it is because I messed up. A .40 S&W case stuck in a .45 ACP case will jam up the feed mechanism. But that's hardly Dillon's fault.

With manual you can catch your problems before they happen as you sort your brass (if you look at your case).

That's kind of the point... In the old days you didn't need to spend any time sorting .45 brass. Just dump it in the case feeder and start cranking. Now, all of a sudden, I have to actually look at the case head. Most of the time the brass is so worn there is no doubt about primer size. The problem is that I bought a couple of thousand new Starlines. It would be easy to toss the new Blazer cases (LPP or SPP, both are available) by just tossing everything that is new but the Starlines would go the same way.

Sometimes the new SPP primer pockets are radiused such that it isn't immediately apparent that it is indeed a SPP. It can take more than a casual glance.

My motto: When in doubt, throw it out!

I have so much brass that a few less, one way or the other, is totally unimportant.

I didn't buy a 1050 for .45 ACP so I could waste a lot of time separating brass. I don't even want to look at the brass; just clean it and dump it in the hopper. Then pull the handle until I'm blue in the face.

One strategy that seems to work: When I pick the brass up off the ground, which tends to be a one-at-a-time affair, I sort it before I store it. I toss the questionable brass in the reclaim bucket provided by the range. The range has a new rule for the action pistol bays: Police up all your brass and trash or be subject to a $150 cleanup fee. There's not a lot of brass laying around to cross-contaminate mine.

Richard

SARDG
09-14-2012, 11:19
Every month when the Blue Press magazine arrives (much to the disliking of she who makes my life much easier), I always take a very long look at the cover...
So... Where's the beef(cake)? :tongueout:

Three-Five-Seven
09-14-2012, 12:29
Hey, fellas, this thread is about the girl, not the primers.

Sheesh.

F106 Fan
09-14-2012, 13:12
Hey, fellas, this thread is about the girl, not the primers.

Sheesh.

I think the maintenance costs would be out of my league. I'm living on a fixed income.
Richard

shotgunred
09-14-2012, 16:34
One guy whining about a picture of a girl he is never going to see in real life and one guy whining about small primers.

Makes me want to say grow up.

I personally never wanted to load the 45 because I don't want to deal with swamping out primers stuff. Now with the small primer 45 and some affordable 1911 out there I am re-evaluating the 45.

Three-Five-Seven
09-14-2012, 18:07
One guy whining about a picture of a girl he is never going to see in real life .

Living in Arizona, I've actually had the pleasure of meeting a couple of the Dillon models. They are even better looking in person!

dkf
09-14-2012, 19:18
I personally never wanted to load the 45 because I don't want to deal with swamping out primers stuff. Now with the small primer 45 and some affordable 1911 out there I am re-evaluating the 45.

Same here.