Preferred defensive ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preferred defensive ammo?

kelte
09-14-2012, 05:10
Time to restock my 9mm carry ammo. I have been using Federal Hydrashok. My main preference is good shot placement (obviously). Just wondering what new ammo is available and why it would be better.

barth
09-14-2012, 05:12
Time to restock my 9mm carry ammo. I have been using Federal Hydrashok. My main preference is good shot placement (obviously). Just wondering what new ammo is available and why it would be better.

Speer GDHP 124 gr +P
Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 gr +P+
Federal HST 124 gr +P

Hydrashok is old technology.
Let go of your rotary phone.

New HPs expand more reliably in a variaty of velocities and conditions.
Many rounds these days are bonded so that you don't have core jacket separation.
New gunpowder is low flash and fast burn for higher velocities in short barrels.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I think I made my point.

kelte
09-14-2012, 05:21
Thanx, great info. You wanna buy a rotary phone?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SJ 40
09-14-2012, 06:05
My usual picks are
Speer Gold Dots
Federal HST
Remington Golden Sabers
I look for any of the 124 gr. + P,YMMV. SJ 40

lyodbraun
09-14-2012, 07:50
I use Ranger T's and HST's Ive seen where a .40S&W 180gr Gold Dots, only pennetrated a inch on a assailant and some had failed to expand.. at a distance of 20 feet, and the subject was wearing a down type jacket...

Bilbo Bagins
09-14-2012, 08:20
My usual picks are
Speer Gold Dots
Federal HST
Remington Golden Sabers
I look for any of the 124 gr. + P,YMMV. SJ 40

I am a big fan of the 147g Golden Saber. I'm unfortunately down to my last box of Bonded Law Enforcement rounds. It has a lighter recoil but it penetrates deep and it expands big and nasty looking. My Home Defense Glock 19 had a mag full of these rounds. The problem is I'm having a tough time finding them in the stores.

9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube

Most of my other SD ammo is Hordany Critical Defense & XTP, Speer Got Dots, and Federal HST, simply because its easy to find and they are decent in performers.

Hydrashoks...wow I can't remember the last time I bought those, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I was never impressed with the test results on those. Its a shame because they are easy to find.

BuzznRose
09-14-2012, 08:38

I don't know how old this is, but I think it is very informative...

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

And this is a good place to get ammo if you cannot buy locally. Their stock changes a lot, so if you are looking for something specific that isn't on the site, call them:

http://www.sgammo.com/

MikeG36
09-14-2012, 08:41
I use Ranger T's and HST's Ive seen where a .40S&W 180gr Gold Dots, only pennetrated a inch on a assailant and some had failed to expand.. at a distance of 20 feet, and the subject was wearing a down type jacket...

Where did you see that? Can you please provide some additional info on this?

Thanks,

Mike

MikeG36
09-14-2012, 08:46
Speer GDHP 124 gr +P
Federal HST 124 gr +P

Many rounds these days are bonded so that you don't have core jacket separation.
New gunpowder is low flash and fast burn for higher velocities in short barrels.

Agree on all of the above. I would feel well armed carrying any of them.

Photoman642
09-14-2012, 10:54
Speer Gold Dot.

magman687
09-14-2012, 11:05
I like to use hornady critical defense I did alot of gel tests with it and it would expand every time even when shooting through thick leather and 5 layers of denim.

Green Dragoon
09-14-2012, 12:04
I apologize ahead of time that this isn't a "direct" answer: I don't own a 9mm, but in .45 I've always carried Cor Bon +P's, 200 grain. I don't know what the equivalent 9mm round is. I'm also an old-timer, so for all I know, there is "better" stuff out there now.

USAFgoober
09-14-2012, 13:30
When i used to carry a 9mm i used 124g +P Speer Gold Dots

JBP55
09-14-2012, 14:09
124+P in Gold Dot, HST or Ranger T.

HenryinFlorida
09-14-2012, 15:39
Speer Gold Dots all the way. I use 9mm 124gr +p in my G26, and .45acp 230 GDHP in my G21sf and G36. If there good enought for so many police departments, there good enough for me. Plus the Balisitic reviews of them on Youtube prove it to me.

rimshaker
09-14-2012, 15:57
Winchester Ranger T series. I don't think any other defense ammo can match how scary it gets after expansion.

For 9mm go for the regular 147gn... they'll penetrate deeper than +p and +p+ variants.

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

Merkavaboy
09-14-2012, 15:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun

Where did you see that? Can you please provide some additional info on this?

Thanks,

Mike

http://catm.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/FBI_Defensive_Systems_Unit_Ballistic_Research_Facility_FBIAcademy.pdf

Notice unexpanded GDHP lodged in perp's throat in first x-ray photo.

SCmasterblaster
09-14-2012, 16:06
I carry Winchester Ranger 9mmP 115gr JHP +p+ in my G17. It chronos at 1400 FPS.

W4CNG
09-14-2012, 16:12
This is why I now have a large stock of Winchester Ranger T in 3 calibers and will be loaded into my CCW guns when I run out of my current stock of Cor-Bon DPX which costs 3x more than the Winchester. Both are street proven, but I now always train with what I CCW.

Rev.357
09-14-2012, 16:12
Gold Dot & Ranger T

Bruce M
09-14-2012, 16:40
I go with the RA9TA

ojabog
09-14-2012, 16:59
Check out tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He has great ammo tests and each video is only about 5 minutes long. I carry either Gold Dots 124 gr +p, 147gr Gold Dots, or Hornady Critical Defense.

glock2740
09-14-2012, 17:23
Gold Dots and Ranger T's.

avenues165
09-14-2012, 18:20
Check out tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He has great ammo tests and each video is only about 5 minutes long. I carry either Gold Dots 124 gr +p, 147gr Gold Dots, or Hornady Critical Defense.

His tests performed on the Federal 9BPLE and Rem 357 sig 125gr GS showed really nasty "wounds."

lyodbraun
09-14-2012, 19:11
His tests performed on the Federal 9BPLE and Rem 357 sig 125gr GS showed really nasty "wounds."

Yes they perform well in the ballistic test media that he uses, however in the real world they dont always work the way they did in the bare gel, as in the case in the above link.. but I do love to watch his videos, and got me into the testing of different brands and calibers into my gel... and its very interesting to see the results thats for sure...

elliotb33
09-14-2012, 19:17
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=zSY018CXRi8
Doesn't expand

This is what I use
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=W9iiaXoRaRY

lyodbraun
09-14-2012, 20:45
Not 9mm but thought i'd share pics of my test rounds of. 45acp ... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/muzyma7a.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/2ymuzeqe.jpg

lyodbraun
09-14-2012, 20:47
First pic the first two far left are. 40S&W

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bunk22
09-14-2012, 20:51
Speer Gold Dot 124 +p

adamg01
09-14-2012, 20:56
Gold Dots and Ranger T's.

This is always my suggestion when someone asks me the same question. I have a case of standard loaded 124 Gdhp's. I have complete confidence in my ability and the Gdhp's ability. Ranger and Speer are both great values IMO.

avenues165
09-14-2012, 20:57
Yes they perform well in the ballistic test media that he uses, however in the real world they dont always work the way they did in the bare gel, as in the case in the above link.. but I do love to watch his videos, and got me into the testing of different brands and calibers into my gel... and its very interesting to see the results thats for sure...

Can't speak for the Rem GS load, but 9BPLE supposedly has a very good track record on the street (many on GT sing its praises). I would guess that the GS has very few street stats.

You can't put too much weight on gel testing, IMHO. It gives you a baseline to compare other loads, but it doesn't tell you how it will perform in living tissue. It is cool though. A couple of the 10mm loads he tested produced pretty nasty "wounds" as well.

unit1069
09-14-2012, 21:21
The OP didn't specify the pistol but whatever Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, or Federal Tactical Bonded/HST is the most accurate with optimum velocity will certainly fill the bill.

seaswol
09-15-2012, 00:36
Critical Defense seeems to work well from short barrels. It's what I now have loaded in m,y G26, G19 and G30
Chris

GroovedG19
09-15-2012, 04:47
Winchester Ranger but my stock is running low. Probably restock with Federal HST or Corbon DPX.

Clutch Cargo
09-16-2012, 03:11
Thanx, great info. You wanna buy a rotary phone?

The old tech hollow points work just fine. You do your part and ANY quality HP will put a hurt on those that are on the receiving end. :fred:

legion3
09-16-2012, 04:41
Winchester Ranger but my stock is running low. Probably restock with Federal HST or Corbon DPX.

Have you priced dpx? Hst is far more resonably priced but sometimes can be hard to find at times. Ranger 127 seems to be easier and more cost effective for restocking purposes.

I use 127 ranger but my wife prefers dpx so I have to pay that price now and then.

unit1069
09-16-2012, 21:38
I tried DPX once in a micro pocket pistol. Prohibitively expensive, especially when the pistol isn't reliable.

I decided to go up to minimum 9mm and beyond that caliber and the number of effective JHP self-defense ammos available still render the DPX prohibitively expensive.

The all-copper bullet design may be all right, but I haven't seen any body of evidence that it yields overall superior ballistics than standard premium JHP ammos available at far better prices.

NEOH212
09-16-2012, 22:29
Speer GDHP 124 gr +P
Federal HST 124 gr +P

Look no further than this. It's sound advice!

:number1:

Bilbo Bagins
09-17-2012, 06:33
I tried DPX once in a micro pocket pistol. Prohibitively expensive, especially when the pistol isn't reliable.

I decided to go up to minimum 9mm and beyond that caliber and the number of effective JHP self-defense ammos available still render the DPX prohibitively expensive.

The all-copper bullet design may be all right, but I haven't seen any body of evidence that it yields overall superior ballistics than standard premium JHP ammos available at far better prices.

The only .380 round I trust out of a pocket gun is Critical Defense. Its the only round that expands and either gets to, or gets real close to the 12" gel penetration mark. Everything else either doesn't expand, or expands but only penetrates 9" or so.

A Critical Defense round coming out of a Kel Tec P3at expanding to .443" and penetrating 11.2"...I can live with that.
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

Out of a Bersa similar results

Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo Test - YouTube

unit1069
09-17-2012, 16:49
The only .380 round I trust out of a pocket gun is Critical Defense.

That's why I'm glad I jumped off the .380ACP micro pocket pistol bandwagon when I did, although I took a bath when I calculate the money I spent trying to get the pistol right and loading it with an ammo that satisfies penetration and expansion.

I don't want to slight that caliber as there's no doubt a drawn weapon or close quarters self-defense shooting would very well stop an attacker. Stepping up to 9mm solved so many issues with both gun and ammo for me that the slightly larger pistol is a negligible consideration.

Graybar100
09-17-2012, 20:26
124 gr +P gold dots

bdcremer
09-19-2012, 15:04
I carry the Corbon DPX 115 grain. This stuff barks out of a G17 but I like the all copper construction.

Warp
09-19-2012, 21:06
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST

My preferences for duty calibers, generally.

toddje
09-20-2012, 05:12
Quote:

http://catm.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/FBI_Defensive_Systems_Unit_Ballistic_Research_Facility_FBIAcademy.pdf

Id caution you to be careful what to pull or not to pull from that story. The police apparently shot over 100 rounds and they pulled six .40 slugs from the suspect. I just wonder if they were shooting thru something or what the rest of the story is. At the end of the day simple physics says that a ,40 round of any type will penetrate more than 1" if all it hits first is a jacket, no?

I usually have 124gr +p gold dot by the way....

WinterWizard
09-20-2012, 16:39
Id caution you to be careful what to pull or not to pull from that story. The police apparently shot over 100 rounds and they pulled six .40 slugs from the suspect. I just wonder if they were shooting thru something or what the rest of the story is. At the end of the day simple physics says that a ,40 round of any type will penetrate more than 1" if all it hits first is a jacket, no?

I usually have 124gr +p gold dot by the way....

Exactly. This story is nonsense. If the recovered bullets were unexpanded (pdf file says you could still see the rifling marks on the bullet), then they would have penetrated even more, essentially becoming a FMJ. And why did the M4 armed police officer have 55gr and 75gr rounds in his rifle? This story is full of holes and just plain stupid.

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 19:38

I wonder how my 9mmP 115gr JHP +p+ load would do in a ballistic test media? :dunno:

avenues165
09-27-2012, 20:00
I wonder how my 9mmP 115gr JHP +p+ load would do in a ballistic test media? :dunno:

IIRC you are using the Winchester loading. TNOutdoors9 did test 9BPLE, but I don't know how it compares to your load. He also did an Underwood 115gr +p+ test, IIRC.

I know it's not the same, but that is the best I can do:smoking:

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 20:12
IIRC you are using the Winchester loading. TNOutdoors9 did test 9BPLE, but I don't know how it compares to your load. He also did an Underwood 115gr +p+ test, IIRC.

I know it's not the same, but that is the best I can do:smoking:

I'd bet that the Underwood +p+ load is quite similar to my Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ loading. I have chronoed my load - it does 1400 FPS out of the G17.

Zeebra724
10-04-2012, 20:49
Just got 50 rds of Hornady's Critical Duty 9mm +P 135 gr today...thoughts? I've been carrying Federal Hi-Shok 115 gr JHP

9mm +P Hornady CRITICAL DUTY Ammo Gel Test - YouTube

cowboy1964
10-04-2012, 21:16
Quote:

Read the dang presentation. It clearly states the "one inch" thing is bogus. As far as the unexpanded round in the neck, who knows. It is pointing down so perhaps it was a richochet off the skull or even an external object or barrier.

It's amazing how simple, single, mistaken information lives on forever thanks to the Internet, even when corrections vastly outnumber it.

M 7
10-04-2012, 22:27
Winchester Ranger T series. I don't think any other defense ammo can match how scary it gets after expansion.

For 9mm go for the regular 147gn... they'll penetrate deeper than +p and +p+ variants.

This.

For me, it is the 147 gr. HSTs. The RA9T is pretty darned good, too, even if it is a little scary. :supergrin:

unit1069
10-05-2012, 09:53

Get something other than HydraShok. Mas Ayoob just the past couple of days published his opinion on the round over at the GATE Self-Defense thread.

Check it out. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445991)

SCmasterblaster
10-05-2012, 10:11
Get something other than HydraShok. Mas Ayoob just the past couple of days published his opinion on the round over at the GATE Self-Defense thread.

Check it out. (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445991)

Here is a link to the subject thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383790&highlight=Hydrashok