# of Rounds, Glock the Plates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : # of Rounds, Glock the Plates

wilhelm51
09-14-2012, 13:54
I probably worry about details like this too much, but here goes:

You load 11 rounds into each of four magazines. You put one in the gun for your first string, chamber a round and when the buzzer sounds, you are off to the races.

You are shooting exceptionally well today and with six rounds you hit all six plates. You now have one round chambered and 4 in the magazine. You change out the magazine for one that has 11 rounds in it. You now have 12 rounds in the gun, the maximum number of rounds allowed is 11 for Glock the Plates.

Should you have taken one round out of the fresh magazine leaving you with 10 in magazine and 1 chambered, cleared the gun and then started over using the fresh magazine with 11 rounds or is this something that one doesn't need to worry about?

Thanks
wilhelm

Bren
09-14-2012, 13:57
Should you have taken one round out of the fresh magazine leaving you with 10 in magazine and 1 chambered, cleared the gun and then started over using the fresh magazine with 11 rounds or is this something that one doesn't need to worry about?

Yes, you need to download to 11 total rounds in the gun for each string.

wilhelm51
09-14-2012, 14:05
Thanks, that is the answer I expected and that is what I did the first competition I shot. The second one it didn't matter because of the misses. But watching others shoot, I just don't recall seeing others following that sort of procedure. (I also don't recall if I noticed that they should have either.)

wilhelm

SARDG
09-14-2012, 14:12
wilhelm- I wouldn't use that particular procedure that you described - but, however you choose to begin each string with the 11 rounds in the gun is up to you. There is never a need to actually eject a round between strings and that simply adds to extra clearing-type moves and extra manipulation of the gun. If your mags have 11 and your gun has one in the chamber, thumb a round off the top (which you implied you do).

unclebob
09-14-2012, 14:15
A lot of use a stripper mag. All the mags are loaded with 10 rounds the stripper mag whatever you want. When told to make ready. Put the stripper mag in the gun and put one in the chamber pull that mag out and put in a mag with 10. If you donít empty the gun pull the mag out and install a mag with 10 rds. You have 11 rounds in the gun. If you empty the gun? Put the stripper mag back in and put one in the chamber pull it out and put a mag with 10. I do this for all stages. Iím doing the same thing each and every time. My stripper mag has an orange painted base plate. Simple, fast and less complicated.

S.Kargoh
09-14-2012, 14:20
This last match, I just thumbed off a round off of each mag as I progressed to the next string (started with 11rds in each mag, then stripped off a round manually from the magazine before I loaded it into the gun).

Worked well.

SARDG
09-14-2012, 14:41
A lot of use a stripper mag...
I don't do that - but instead of unclebob and I going back and forth again, describing the virtues of our particular procedure(s) ad infinitum, simply read this thread:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422175

unclebob
09-14-2012, 16:33
As you can see there are many of ways of doing it. What I donít like about thumbing off a round is unless you have something to catch that round you thumbed off and having many of Glock matches the shooter has a tendency of trying to catch the round as it starts rolling off the table. Hands start going in front of the gun, and the muzzle starts going everywhere. In practice try it different ways and see what works best for you.

PM720
09-14-2012, 17:10
I use a stripper mag. That is the ONLY way to do it and if you don't do it my way you suck and baby seals will die and the planet will tilt on it's axis leading to the next ice age! :whistling: :tongueout: :wavey:

Scott

SARDG
09-14-2012, 17:38
I use a stripper mag. That is the ONLY way to do it and if you don't do it my way you suck and baby seals will die and the planet will tilt on it's axis leading to the next ice age! :whistling: :tongueout: :wavey:

Scott
Wow, now there's a man of his convictions! :supergrin:

emtjr928
09-14-2012, 17:43
I used to have a collection of "Stripper Mags" until my ex-wife burned them all!

:steamed::rofl::angel:

DannyII
09-14-2012, 18:08
I prefer the single stripper/Barney mag, and 10 round mags approach.

I carry a spare mag in a Glock mag holder on my weak side when I carry anyways, so I just put a fully loaded 19 mag with an orange baseplate in it for the matches.

Then:
1. Insert Barney mag in empty gun, replace in mag holder.
2. Load & make ready.
3. Shoot string.
4. Insert Barney mag if gun is empty again, 10 round mag if it's not.
Repeat as necessary.

For me, during matches it's easier to notice slide-lock on an empty gun than have to remember to thumb a round off if there's still one in the chamber. +1 on trying to keep track of that loose round if you thumb it off, too.

YMMV.

wilhelm51
09-14-2012, 20:56
Thanks for all the advice. Obviously GSSF can give away all those guns because they can make it back on the number of mags one has to buy to compete.

wilhelm

SARDG
09-14-2012, 21:15
Thanks for all the advice. Obviously GSSF can give away all those guns because they can make it back on the number of mags one has to buy to compete.

wilhelm
...but you can get by with 4 for each gun model you'll shoot. It's just that many of us get carried away and load up mags for the entire weekend match before we leave home.

wilhelm51
09-14-2012, 21:45
...but you can get by with 4 for each gun model you'll shoot. It's just that many of us get carried away and load up mags for the entire weekend match before we leave home.

I've got 9 already for my G17. I enter two divisions and 8 are needed to shot one division after the other without reloading. (The 9th is at home with the home defense rounds in it.) Once one stage is completed, I reload and move to next.

I learned that pretty quickly.

wilhelm

SARDG
09-14-2012, 22:18
I've got 9 already for my G17. I enter two divisions and 8 are needed to shot one division after the other without reloading. (The 9th is at home with the home defense rounds in it.) Once one stage is completed, I reload and move to next.

I learned that pretty quickly.

wilhelm
Sounds like you have a 'system'. :cool:

Ed's Public Safety will have Gen4 mags for sale for $20 ea at Conyers if you're going and feel the need for more - but 9 mags gives you about 7 more than some folks.

range goddess
09-14-2012, 22:35
I have my charging mag to chamber a round from and my other mags loaded with 10 rounds each. I would be afraid I would forget to thumb the one round out of a mag loaded with 11 and end up with 12 rounds. (although I sometimes wish I could have that extra round....or 2 or 5... or more..... when shooting the plates)

Butch
09-14-2012, 23:25
If your mags have 11 and your gun has one in the chamber, thumb a round off the top.
That's how I've been doing it ever since the Democrats passed that silly mag ban law in 1994....

What ever way you decide to do it, be consistent about it, that way yer less likely to screw it up.

PM720
09-15-2012, 00:56

Hmm, 7 x ?? = :dunno::whistling:

Scott

Glockrunner
09-15-2012, 04:28
Hmm, 7 x ?? = :dunno::whistling:

Scott
And then have to buy a wagon, to haul all of the ammo and magazines around.:rofl:

We only shoot two catagories and I am dabuting a new wagon myself:faint:

DannyII
09-15-2012, 05:58
I shoot three divisions, and I carry 4 mags per division. I find that loading between stages is not a big deal at all. There's plenty of time.

lethal tupperwa
09-15-2012, 06:04
note that in some, ok maybe 1 or 2 states, a loaded mag is treated like a loaded gun.

but I don't think SARDG goes that far north.

wilhelm51
09-15-2012, 07:19
Sounds like you have a 'system'. :cool:

Ed's Public Safety will have Gen4 mags for sale for $20 ea at Conyers if you're going and feel the need for more - but 9 mags gives you about 7 more than some folks.

And I bought mag #7 from you in Columbia along with two pink coolies for the girls at home.

wilhelm

Justin1911
09-15-2012, 07:52
I load 11 in the first mag and 10 in all others (to keep one in the chamber between reloads) works great so long as you don't shoot 11 rounds at the plates :supergrin:

unclebob
09-15-2012, 08:02
I load 11 in the first mag and 10 in all others (to keep one in the chamber between reloads) works great so long as you don't shoot 11 rounds at the plates :supergrin:

Or Glock M.

PM720
09-15-2012, 11:20
And then have to buy a wagon, to haul all of the ammo and magazines around.:rofl:

We only shoot two catagories and I am dabuting a new wagon myself:faint:

I will have one for sale on Sunday @ Conyers. :supergrin:

Scott

SARDG
09-15-2012, 13:42
I shoot three divisions, and I carry 4 mags per division. I find that loading between stages is not a big deal at all. There's plenty of time.
Well... you clearly need to RO AM and PM for Saturday AND Sunday, shoot 6 or 7 divisions, and see if there's plenty of time to load 60-70 mags in between. :phew:

PettyOfficer
09-15-2012, 15:08
Great topic!

Something I'll eventually have to think about (just joined GSSF).

I think I'll go with fully loaded Barney mags on my gun belt, 10 rounds in mags on the table.

Definitely glad I own an Uplula because I was thinking I would shoot 5-7 divisions if/when I actually get to attend a match.

Is that daunting or easily doable (thinking of exhaustion/fatigue, not how many competitors/time)?

PM720
09-15-2012, 15:27
I have been shooting 5 at the matches this year but will be shooting 7 at Conyers because, well, it's Conyers? :supergrin: 5 is not too bad because you usually get a break every 2 which helps. At Norco there was no one waiting on the plates so they let me shoot all 5 with no break. I would not do that again. :faint: I only shoot the 2 guns (G22 & G30) which I think helps a bit too.

Scott

GUNS N' HOGS
09-15-2012, 21:14

Or Glock M.

Justin/unclebob:

I'm preparing for my first GSSF Match coming up in Lexington, KY.....and after reading your posts and the latest Glock Report, I'm a bit confused.....

Glock 'M states:Competitor may load a maximum of 11 rounds per string of fire. Shooter may take extra shots to hit one steel target per string only without penalty.

If I'm understanding this correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a shooter could actually fire up to 11 rounds in a string as long as the additional shots were at the same steel target. Correct?

And regarding Glock the Plates:
Competitor may load a maximum of 11 rounds per string. Miss penalities are only applied when steel is left standing after competitor has fired all 11 rounds (7 rounds MajorSub).

Thanks for any help in understanding!

:embarassed:

SARDG
09-15-2012, 21:34
Justin/unclebob:

I'm preparing for my first GSSF Match coming up in Lexington, KY.....and after reading your posts and the latest Glock Report, I'm a bit confused.....

Glock 'M states:

If I'm understanding this correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a shooter could actually fire up to 11 rounds in a string as long as the additional shots were at the same steel target. Correct?

And regarding Glock the Plates:

Thanks for any help in understanding!

:embarassed:
Not Justin or Bob, but; your 'M' assumptions are correct, as are your plates assumptions - you can empty the gun (11 rounds) on those 2 stages to get your hits on steel, but no more than 2 rounds on each paper. In 'M' with 4 paper and steel, you would end up with 2 shots on each paper and take up to 3 shots to hit the popper - if you needed that many.

Justin was saying that he loads 11 in the first mag and 10 in the remaining mags of a stage because he doesn't shoot to slide-lock. If you don't shoot to slide-lock, you will always have that round left in the chamber so follow-on mags can be loaded to only 10. This is exactly what I do as well - no stripper and 11-10-10-(10) in the mags.

Justin was saying that this system works great UNLESS you have a bad string in 'M' or on plates and have to shoot 11 rounds to get your hits. In that case, your follow-on mag will only have 10 rounds with nothing left in the chamber for your full complement of 11 rounds. In this case, you've got to come up with an 11th round for the string. Personally, I still don't have a stripper; I keep a couple of spare rounds in my pocket and dig one out to top off to 11.

Any of this make sense?

Glockrunner
09-16-2012, 04:30
Not Justin or Bob, but; your 'M' assumptions are correct, as are your plates assumptions - you can empty the gun (11 rounds) on those 2 stages to get your hits on steel, but no more than 2 rounds on each paper. In 'M' with 4 paper and steel, you would end up with 2 shots on each paper and take up to 3 shots to hit the popper - if you needed that many.

Justin was saying that he loads 11 in the first mag and 10 in the remaining mags of a stage because he doesn't shoot to slide-lock. If you don't shoot to slide-lock, you will always have that round left in the chamber so follow-on mags can be loaded to only 10. This is exactly what I do as well - no stripper and 11-10-10-(10) in the mags.

Justin was saying that this system works great UNLESS you have a bad string in 'M' or on plates and have to shoot 11 rounds to get your hits. In that case, your follow-on mag will only have 10 rounds with nothing left in the chamber for your full complement of 11 rounds. In this case, you've got to come up with an 11th round for the string. Personally, I still don't have a stripper; I keep a couple of spare rounds in my pocket and dig one out to top off to 11.

Any of this make sense?

"USUALLY"
you can start each string of fire (M & Plates) with 11 rounds in the mag and end up with more than one round left over so you have one in the chamber and one left in the mag went you reload.

There is the Barney mag lying on the table if you should run the next mag dry.

IF you run the first mag dry you're done with that string of fire eitherway; drop that mag, and with the slide locked back place the pistol on the table. Now Get another mag for a barney mag if needed and lay that mag off to the side form the others that you are going to finish the stage with.

SARDG
09-16-2012, 05:03
"USUALLY"
you can start each string of fire......
....but, I was clarifying Justin's remarks about why his (and my) scheme of 11-10-10-(10) works great - as long as you don't take 11 rounds (shoot to slide-lock) to get your hits.

Don't remember if Justin has a Barney mag available or not (just, in case), but I do not. YOU GOTTA BELIEVE! :)

DannyII
09-16-2012, 06:17
Well... you clearly need to RO AM and PM for Saturday AND Sunday, shoot 6 or 7 divisions, and see if there's plenty of time to load 60-70 mags in between. :phew:

Well, yeah. If I did that all of that, I suppose I would need to come fully loaded with 10 mags per divisions, and a wagon or small donkey. I load my 3, and the wife's 1 divisions mags, so I load 12-16 mags between stages. I also now have an Uplula loader that I didn't think I would like, but I really do, which makes it easier and faster.

I do paste the whole time I'm waiting. Not nearly the same, but I do what I can.

BTW-thanks for RO-ing! :wavey:

GUNS N' HOGS
09-16-2012, 06:24
Any of this make sense?

Yes. Thanks for taking the time to clarify their statements.

:)

Don At PC
09-16-2012, 06:40
Yes Sir. Thanks for taking the time to clarify their statements.

:)

OH ------ NO, Kitty, you may need to change your avatar or make the picture bigger. :rofl::faint::embarassed:

Don

SARDG
09-16-2012, 15:28
...I do paste the whole time I'm waiting. Not nearly the same, but I do what I can.

BTW-thanks for RO-ing! :wavey:
It's fun... and the 'pay' amounts to about $2.50/hr sometimes, but my post was simply a blatant attempt to make to you feel bad so that you would volunteer to RO at the next match - maybe at Conyers??? Are you biting? :)

SARDG
09-16-2012, 15:36
OH ------ NO, Kitty, you may need to change your avatar or make the picture bigger. :rofl::faint::embarassed:

Don
Yeah, my avatar's not up close and personal like yours - but I've got cool Coast Guard stuff happening in mine. :tongueout:

I uploaded that avatar at a slightly larger pixel size like yours and Danny's, but GT shrinks it. What's with that?

Don At PC
09-16-2012, 15:38
They are jealous.:embarassed:

Don

lethal tupperwa
09-17-2012, 06:34
Kitty, do you really make the shooters Paste the plates?

SARDG
09-17-2012, 06:54
Kitty, do you really make the shooters Paste the plates?
Oh yeah... takes a little longer Jim, but....... :shocked: :embarassed:

njl
09-18-2012, 19:38
It's just a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. i.e. Maybe you don't miss much and generally always have a round left after each string. Then it makes sense to use a stripper mag to load that first 11th round, and all your match mags with 10 rounds, because after the start of each stage, you're always going to have the 11th round left over in the gun.

If you tend to miss a lot and always run the gun dry (at least in the plates and M), then save yourself some trouble and load all the mags with 11.

Don't have enough mags for a stripper mag? Load them all with 11 and just always clear the gun between strings. i.e. drop mag from previous string, cycle slide, catch falling cartridge or let it fall on the table, then insert new mag. I'm sure we could have a debate on this last part now (whether to catch the ejected round or let it fall). :)

unclebob
09-18-2012, 19:52
It's just a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. i.e. Maybe you don't miss much and generally always have a round left after each string. Then it makes sense to use a stripper mag to load that first 11th round, and all your match mags with 10 rounds, because after the start of each stage, you're always going to have the 11th round left over in the gun.

If you tend to miss a lot and always run the gun dry (at least in the plates and M), then save yourself some trouble and load all the mags with 11.

Don't have enough mags for a stripper mag? Load them all with 11 and just always clear the gun between strings. i.e. drop mag from previous string, cycle slide, catch falling cartridge or let it fall on the table, then insert new mag. I'm sure we could have a debate on this last part now (whether to catch the ejected round or let it fall). :)
I personally do not like the idea of racking the slide back each and every time. Way too many people like to start pointing the gun to the left instead of down range to empty the chamber. You are better of leaving the round in the chamber and removing one round out of the mag before inserting it into the gun. A lot easier, faster, and safer.

njl
09-18-2012, 20:02
I personally do not like the idea of racking the slide back each and every time. Way too many people like to start pointing the gun to the left instead of down range to empty the chamber. You are better of leaving the round in the chamber and removing one round out of the mag before inserting it into the gun. A lot easier, faster, and safer.

That requires too much dexterity, or putting the gun down between strings. If you can't safely rack the slide (which everyone has to do at the end of each stage anyway), you probably can't thumb the top round out of your next mag using just the weak hand.

unclebob
09-18-2012, 20:06
Last year I was work as an RO at one of the bigger matches. I had 5 times a gun pointed at me. One time is with a shooter doing as you suggested by removing the round each and every time. I was working the left side of the two 5 the Glocks on that range. I looked over and seen the gun pointed at me as the live round was being ejected out of the gun.

unclebob
09-18-2012, 20:08
That requires too much dexterity, or putting the gun down between strings. If you can't safely rack the slide (which everyone has to do at the end of each stage anyway), you probably can't thumb the top round out of your next mag using just the weak hand.

You don't put the gun down you thumb the round out with your left thumb.

SARDG
09-18-2012, 20:49
unclebob, unclebob... for once we completely agree. :rofl:

I'm just a girl... but once I pick up the gun in my strong hand, it never has to leave that hand until the stage is a done deal - and that includes ejecting mags, inserting fresh mags and thumbing a round off the top of mags if necessary.

Racking the slide and clearing each string gives the RO and inexperienced shooter about 3 to 4 times the chance of being shot. Not only do new (right-handed) shooters often point the gun to the left to clear it, they frequently sweep their forearm in the process.

You don't put the gun down you thumb the round out with your left thumb.
:cool:

lethal tupperwa
09-19-2012, 06:42
what if the next stage over has someone that takes a long time to shoot?

And your stage is alternating with them.

are you going to stand around holding the gun?

SARDG
09-19-2012, 07:47
what if the next stage over has someone that takes a long time to shoot?

And your stage is alternating with them.

are you going to stand around holding the gun?
That's another pet peeve of mine and one of the reasons it takes so long to get shooters through these stages - alternating shooters, or even strings!

I'll stick my neck out and say that >90-95% of the time that wouldn't be necessary at all if the timer sensitivities were properly adjusted and the RO held the timer pointed at the muzzle of the gun they are timing.

wilhelm51
09-22-2012, 15:54
Okay, I decided to thumb off a round from the next Mag. The few times I had an opportunity, it worked pretty. Didn't shoot well enough to develop any sort of "muscle memory". Unlike you guys and gals at the top of your game, I have room to improve. Jealous?

wilhelm

PM720
09-22-2012, 19:29
Okay, I decided to thumb off a round from the next Mag. The few times I had an opportunity, it worked pretty. Didn't shoot well enough to develop any sort of "muscle memory". Unlike you guys and gals at the top of your game, I have room to improve. Jealous?

wilhelm

Wilhelm, we ALL have room to improve!! :embarassed::supergrin:

Scott

mike g35
09-22-2012, 20:18
Wilhelm, we ALL have room to improve!! :embarassed::supergrin:

Scott

Tell me about it Scott LOL I'm growing fond of mediocrity LOL :rofl:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PM720
09-22-2012, 22:01
Tell me about it Scott LOL I'm growing fond of mediocrity LOL :rofl: