RCBS Chargemaster Combo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Chargemaster Combo

F106 Fan
09-15-2012, 12:29
A couple of weeks ago we were kicking around the Hornady Autocharge and the RCBS Chargemaster. I had neither...

So, I bought the Chargemaster and it showed up Thursday. I finally had a chance to load some ammo this morning and I am impressed! There were NO overcharges and the unit is fast enough to dispense a charge while I seat a bullet.

I had some enormous issues with static until I wiped off the clear cover with a dryer sheet. I could be off 1/2 gr or more depending on the position of the cover. No longer a problem.

I dispensed the loads with the Chargemaster and verified them with the Dillon D-Terminator. The D-Terminator consistently shows the charge to be 0.1 gr light but I figure that each unit handles roundoff in its own way. Close enough as long as it is consistent. I could always add a 0.1 gr to the desired charge on the Chargemaster if I was all that concerned.

I will eventually grow to trust the Chargemaster but in the near term I plan to verify every load. It only takes a couple of seconds and I'm not in a hurry.

I haven't had to try the McDonald's straw trick. I have used only IMR 4064 and VV N540 powders so far.

A very nice unit!

Richard

unclebob
09-15-2012, 13:08
I haven't had to try the McDonald's straw trick. I have used only IMR 4064 and VV N540 powders so far.A very nice unit!Richard

Whats that?

F106 Fan
09-15-2012, 13:36
Insert 1/2" of a McDonald's straw and it will help prevent overcharging of certain powders. The trickle tube is threaded and some powders tend to clump up at the nozzle. When the clump breaks loose, the result may be excessive.

The straw helps prevent that.

RCBS Chargemaster 42.5gr Varget - YouTube

Here's an enhanced version:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/rcbs-chargemaster/

As I mentioned, I haven't had to do this. So far...

Richard

zippyhuntin
09-15-2012, 14:02
A couple of weeks ago we were kicking around the Hornady Autocharge and the RCBS Chargemaster. I had neither...

After watching that same thread I ended up buying the Hornady unit. :tongueout:

In a couple of hundred throws with IMR 4064 and RL15 I've had 1 overcharge, and when I check it against my Dillon beam scale it throws about .1gr light also.

norton
09-15-2012, 19:03
Nice measure
I have used a Lyman 1200 DPS for several years now. It will on occasion throw a charge .3 or .4 over but seems to clear itself up. I checked mine on another electronic scale I own and they match up.

squirreld
09-16-2012, 08:02
I love my charge master so much, I bought 2!

Boxerglocker
09-16-2012, 08:32
After watching that same thread I ended up buying the Hornady unit. :tongueout:

In a couple of hundred throws with IMR 4064 and RL15 I've had 1 overcharge, and when I check it against my Dillon beam scale it throws about .1gr light also.

I have 3-4 over charges in over 400 drops of Varget so far.

Incidentally F106 the Chargemaster straw trick has since been revised several times since your current only 1/2 inch of straw insertion on the end method. Guys are actually inserting the straw full length, extending 1/4 inch with crowned finger cutouts and of course cutting out the opening required in the powder hopper.

Most guys that have used the Hornady do not recommend the straw trick and I haven't yet seen the need to enhance it's surprisingly very consistent and accurate throws. One hint I have taken from others is to only load as much powder as you think you will need each session and put it away when your done. Giving the Varget jug a little shake ensures consistent flow through the dispense tube.

F106 Fan
09-16-2012, 12:03
I bought the Chargemaster specifically to make .308, 6.5x284 and possibly .338 Lapua match quality ammo. My primary goal was to avoid trickling the charges by hand. If I get a dispensing that is overweight, I'll just dump out a few kernels and let the dispenser try again. That's the way I did it when I trickled by hand. No big deal...

Sometimes when I was dispensing by hand, it would take 3 or 4 attempts to get it right. This was caused by the fact I was holding the trickler over the pan on the scale. The slightest twitch and a few extra kernels would drop.

Bumping the dispenser nozzle is a good way to get an overcharge. Since the pan is already off the scale, it might not get caught. I think I will continue to verify the charges with the D-Terminator.

By definition, I'm making 50 rounds or less every time I make precision rifle ammo. So maybe the process takes an hour or a little more. I'm in no hurry...

Richard

Rick from Kali
09-17-2012, 13:09
keep in mind that the RCBs ChargeMaster and their case cleaning tumbler are made in china. that's what i was told by RCBS when inquiring returning my case cleaner in which the motor burnt out with less that 10 hours on it. i also have a ChargeMaster and had to return it back to RCBS after only having it a year as the display screen would not work. it only cost me $40.00 + shipping to get it repaired so that wasn't too bad. don't use it much these day's and am thinking about selling it.
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture367.jpg

Travclem
09-18-2012, 11:47
I like mine, It works great! Huge time saver IME.

F106 Fan
09-18-2012, 12:08
keep in mind that the RCBs ChargeMaster and their case cleaning tumbler are made in china.

Rick

So is everything else! I don't go out of my way to worry about country of origin.

Sometimes I even shop at WalMart. In fact, I went to our new superstore last week to buy .40 S&W. They had a bunch of ammo and someone behind the counter to sell it! The lady told me they had plenty of inventory.

Richard

TxSoldier
09-18-2012, 22:53
I don't understand the large price difference between the Hornady and the RCBS though. Unless there's something I just am missing.

zippyhuntin
09-19-2012, 06:05
The RCBS unit has the capability of storing up to 30 loads in memory. The Hornady unit doesn't store any. The RCBS may be a little bit faster dispensing powder.

unclebob
09-19-2012, 06:20
I don't understand the large price difference between the Hornady and the RCBS though. Unless there's something I just am missing.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC98923&src=tpSlrHm