FDE Gen4 G19 Range Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FDE Gen4 G19 Range Report

Tornado_Racing
09-15-2012, 14:01
2 weeks ago I purchased a Gen4 G19 in FDE. Today was the first day I was able to send a few down range. First are the gun specs:

Gen4 FDE G19
Haley Skimmer Trigger
Extended Slide Lock
Extra Ambi G19 Mag

After shooting a friends G17 w/Skimmer trigger I was hooked and decided to get a G19 with the same setup. My trigger actually feels better than his. 1/8" pre-travel, trigger sets, 1/8" pull then break and the shot is off (AWESOME is the only way to describe it). Highly recommended but expensive.

The extended slide lock IMHO is a must have compared to the Gen4 slide lock. Much easier to work and well worth the extra coin.

After reading about the ejection issues I was wondering if I was getting a "good" Glock or a "problem child". Well I'm glad to report I've got a good one.

115 gr Federal FMJ (Walmart red box)
115 gr Tula FMJ (Walmart black box)
124 gr Remington Golden Sabre
124 gr Winchester PDX1
124 gr Ranger T +P (my carry load)

All had constant 2 o'clock ejections and none flew over my head. My G19 has all of the updated parts and thanks to the guys with the many posts on here about all of the updated and new parts in the later Gen4 Glocks.

115 gr Remington UMC was the only round that had 12 o'clock over the head ejections but none hit me in the face. I was surprised that the cheaper steel cased Tula had perfect ejections compared to the UMC.

The only real issue was the extra mag would not drop free. 3 of the 4 ran flawless but one would not drop so I've got an e-mail into Glock about the issue. Even loaded I had to hold the gun at a perfect 12 o'clock to get it to drop free.

I'm very pleased with my G19 and is she spot on accurate, hell probably more accurate than me. lol

SJ 40
09-15-2012, 16:04
Congrats on the FDE ,know the feeling pick up a very little used OD myself last Saturday.
Nice to throw a little color in to a basic black world !
SJ 40

Bruce M
09-15-2012, 16:06
Good to hear your G19 is functioning well.

Tornado_Racing
09-15-2012, 16:09
Thanks guys...................

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/1554/dscf4531r.jpg

MikeG36
09-15-2012, 17:42
Great to hear. Congrats on your new pistol!!

I came very close to joining the FDE club but the price was too high and they wouldn't budge so I walked. :(

Beanie-Bean
09-15-2012, 18:42
Congrats, and thanks for the report! I've got one of those also, but it's currently a safe queen until my other G19 Gen4 acts up. So far, it's been just fine.

FDE:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8701.jpg

Old reliable (has since been upgraded with i-Dot Pro sights)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_7607.jpg

bac1023
09-15-2012, 23:39
:welcome: and congrats

Eagle1
09-16-2012, 08:22
very nice, glad to hear your gun is doing well. Like those pics as well too..

threefeathers
09-16-2012, 10:35
Thank you for the report, I'm looking at one of these triggers also.

TattooedGlock
09-16-2012, 10:43
Congrats! Love my Gen 4 19! Need to find me another with some color.

Thomasc18
09-16-2012, 11:11
I love my gen 3 19. Been looking for quite a while now for a gen 4 19 fde. Couldn't find one so I broke down and bought me a gen 4 19 yesterday. Still need some color though.

Tornado_Racing
09-30-2012, 04:01
Had my CCW class yesterday and the Instructor let us shoot when we were done with Qualifications. All ammo ran perfectly accept for 3 rounds of Winchester 124gr +P "Q" something. A friend was shooting my G19 and had 3 rounds hit him in the face during a 15 round mag. The prior casing ejected fine and the last casing ejected fine. Kinda weird huh.

On the last mag the slide didn't lock back. Pulled the mag and re-inserted 3x times with the same failure to lock doing a manual rack. I then pushed the follower down and tapped the mag on my leg a few times and now the mag locks the slide every time. I think the ***** was just dirty! lol

The pistol has about 600 rounds through it and have read where Gen4's do start showing BTF issues after 500 rounds. You guys think this is something I should be worried about? The Tula and Federal I normally shoot run fine with perfect ejections.

What do you guys think? All in all I'm VERY happy with my Gen4 but want to eliminate this issue ASAP as this is my carry weapon.

donovan655
09-30-2012, 10:54
Had my CCW class yesterday and the Instructor let us shoot when we were done with Qualifications. All ammo ran perfectly accept for 3 rounds of Winchester 124gr +P "Q" something. A friend was shooting my G19 and had 3 rounds hit him in the face during a 15 round mag. The prior casing ejected fine and the last casing ejected fine. Kinda weird huh.

On the last mag the slide didn't lock back. Pulled the mag and re-inserted 3x times with the same failure to lock doing a manual rack. I then pushed the follower down and tapped the mag on my leg a few times and now the mag locks the slide every time. I think the ***** was just dirty! lol

The pistol has about 600 rounds through it and have read where Gen4's do start showing BTF issues after 500 rounds. You guys think this is something I should be worried about? The Tula and Federal I normally shoot run fine with perfect ejections.

What do you guys think? All in all I'm VERY happy with my Gen4 but want to eliminate this issue ASAP as this is my carry weapon.

Mag issue: was it one of the spare mags that came with the gun? In other words was it a brand new mag? I've noticed that some of the newer mags need some break in. if it was one of the new mags i'd break it in by shooting it some more. if it has a few hundred rounds on it, then I'd break it down and clean and inspect.

BTF: shooter experience/skill, ammo power factor, fatigue level, firearm quality and cleanliness are some of the variables that affect BTF. I personally wouldn't worry about it unless all of the above variables are ruled out and you are getting BTF more than once per mag.

try stripping the slide down and cleaning everything well. run a brass cleaning brush over the extractor a few dozen times all around. make sure it is clean. make sure it drops into and out of the slide easily.

make note of any BTF issues and when they occur. Are they towards the end of the shooting sessions? It could be fatigue.

Does your friend have a generally high level of shooting experience?

sometimes ammo can be underpowered--even known good brands.

For what it is worth...I've had two recent instances of BTF with my M&P and my PX4.

Also...make sure you wear some head gear like a hat.

And if your mag really is out of spec that also could cause some less than perfect ejection.

Bruce M
09-30-2012, 12:00
Unless you get the hit in the face by ejected casings it is a safe bet that the problem lies with the other shooter.

Tornado_Racing
09-30-2012, 16:58
I myself have had a some over the head but none to the face. He is a new shooter and I did have to show him take up, trigger set, reset, etc as well as a proper handgun grip. I'll keep the 3 rounds as a mental note for future trips to the range.

The mag is new and the gun only has 600 rounds through it. I have 4x G19 mags and 2x G17 mags (all Gen4). 2x G19 are strictly for HD/carry and have the most rounds through them. The rest are just range mags and have limited use.

Looks as if I need to make another range trip (oh darn lol) to test out some mags and BTF issues. Also got some Vickers Floor Plates coming so I can test a bunch of stuff out next weekend. Wifey just told me "yard sale" for next weekend so I get to buy more ammo too before my range trip!

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm not new to shooting just new to shooting a Glock.

Shooters Plus
10-01-2012, 10:04
Nice review of the Glock 19

t4terrific
10-01-2012, 10:12
Sometimes extended slide releases cause the slide to occassionally fail to lock back after the last round. If your thumb is touching it at the moment it's supposed to move up and lock the slide it may be delayed enough to fail.

Tornado_Racing
12-01-2012, 18:43
I hope this is okay to post, here is a couple videos of the Apex Glock Gen4 Extractor in a Gen4 G19. Most ejected at 4 o'clock with a few at 3. Had to reshoot the first video as targets 3+4 didn't get re-pasted but is shows perfect brass ejection.

IDPA Stage 6 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=506742496023561)
IDPA Stage 6 Re-Shoot (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=506725519358592)