Best receiver options for a .308 build? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best receiver options for a .308 build?

M1A Shooter
09-15-2012, 15:54
right now i am really wanting to get an axts ax762 receiver set but they keep putting them off due to demand of other products. i plan on starting this build after the first of the year when i will have the disposable cash to put towards it.
that said, right now, im looking into the mega ma ten as an alternative. possibly a stripped armalite set as well. reason for the mega is to have an alternative to the ax762 which are similar in concept as billet builds. the armalite is in my mind as a forged milspec look that has a forward assist.
as far as forward assist, i know most think its unnecessary, and it generally is. i did have to use one once in the past but that was a very rare occurance that i dont forsee in my civilian life.
anyhow, deing disappointed that the ax762 is getting put off longer, what would you guys use for a receiver set to build a nice .308?
my requirements are fairly simple. i want an 18" barrel with a Troy TRX 13.8 tube or similar. im thinking the stock will probably end up as a UBR. my accuracy requirements are pretty relaxed. i would wish for 1moa from the bench or better but should keep inside of 2moa when hot with a mag dump and my biggest concern is reliability. i will be using a 1-4x or 1-6x compact scope on it and its role will be a general purpose, all around gun. my shooting range locally only goes to 400 yards but i have access ocasionally to 750 yards which i used to shoot regularly with an m14.
i am a big fan of the m14 but have over a decade of military training and combat experience with an ar15. therefore i am looking to go with the ar10 type of rifle as i prefer the .308 round to the .223 but have alot of expereince with the m4 both as a soldier and an armorer and building a few of my own recently. i just really dont know if there is something im overlooking in the .308 ar field.
thanks ahead of time.

faawrenchbndr
09-15-2012, 15:59
Mega would be my choice. If you decide to go billet, insist on

Big Bird
09-15-2012, 16:37
I have no preference as I have never owned a 7.62 AR. I could be wrong but they aren't like AR-15 where you have a milspec standard bolt, barrel extension etc. There seems to be some variation from maker to maker. For that reason, and because I just don't see a huge variety of parts for the 7.62 variants I'd probably just go buy a complete gun.

In terms of the UBR stock. I own two, noth on 6.8 guns Love them and hate them. They are solid and there's not a stronger--more stable collapseable stock on the market. But the dang things add over a pound to the overall weight and with an AR-10 that's nothing casually dismiss as those guns aren't exactly light to start.

But that's my druthers... Buy a complete gun and go from there.

uzimon
09-15-2012, 18:19
http://308ar.com/

M1A Shooter
09-15-2012, 19:55
thanks for the link. i knew i had seen something of that nature in the past

uzimon
09-15-2012, 20:12
thanks for the link. i knew i had seen something of that nature in the past
Its a good site. Not only can you gather info but also have access to deals not avail.to the general public

MrMurphy
09-16-2012, 06:41
Save yourself money, frustration and time.

www.laruetactical.com.

The OBR.

WoodenPlank
09-16-2012, 07:09

www.laruetactical.com (http://www.laruetactical.com).

The OBR.

Bleeping this.

Big Bird
09-16-2012, 07:17

www.laruetactical.com.

The OBR.

Yeah...at $3600 and a year wait I don't think he'll be saving any money. Its a superb rifle. But a VERY good friend has one and it had to go back to Larue--it wouldn't cycle a magazine without a FTE or FTF. To their credit it was fixed promptly and has run great since. But even Larue lets one slip from time to time.

Armalite is the company with the most experience with this platform. Hell, they were building AR-10s when MrMurphy was in diapers. If I were looking for the best value it would probably be Armalite.

But I've also heard nothing but good things from two shooting buddies with DPMS 7.62 guns. One friend has a REPR that shoots groups as small as my other friend's Larue!

MrMurphy
09-16-2012, 19:09
Armalite wasn't in existence in it's current iteration when I was in diapers.

Big Bird
09-16-2012, 20:03
Armalite wasn't in existence in it's current iteration when I was in diapers.

OK, ya got me there...let's see... Middle School.

MrMurphy
09-16-2012, 22:03
Try high school...... IIRC, they came back in the mid 90s.

up1911fan
09-16-2012, 22:25
I plan on building one on a Mega myself.

Mayhem like Me
09-17-2012, 08:03

www.laruetactical.com.

The OBR.

Nice if you can afford to feed them heavy bullets all the time..

The three examples I have shot do not like to work with surplus ammo in the 147 range no matter what the gas setting, they were short stroking.
I could see if it was a 1 off phenmenon but 3 for 3 tells me they are optimized to run on match ammo.

We decided on the SCAR 17 instead , The LMT worked well but was unavailable.

The OBR was very accurate with the 175 grn loads and the 168 match, but when you switched to surplus it was finicky no matter which magazines we used, both 16 and 18 inch versions.

Mayhem like Me
09-17-2012, 08:08
As for me I am building one with a CMMG Billet upper and lower, Lothar Walther barrel Troy Battle rail Young manufacturing Chromed BC, JP enhanced bolt and a CMC trigger.

Waiting for barrel and trigger right now.

MrMurphy
09-17-2012, 08:17
It was intended to run with Federal GMM and similar heavy loads.

That said, I've helped put 1200 rounds of German surplus through one rapid fire without a hiccup.

Mayhem like Me
09-17-2012, 10:14
It was intended to run with Federal GMM and similar heavy loads.

That said, I've helped put 1200 rounds of German surplus through one rapid fire without a hiccup.

That said , we had 15 308 service rifles at our range 4 weeks ago with a large distributor, the Larue was the only gun with ammo issues and the rep said the same thing you did..

The H&K, LMT's LWRC, Knight and SCAR had no issues.

The Larue was also the favorite of our Snipers when they loaded their ammo in the mags.

If you feed it match ammo get a Larue, if not you will be better served with one of the other options