.22 Dry Fire Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 Dry Fire Question

re223
09-15-2012, 16:00
I just purchased a new Marlin 60 and I already noticed a small dry fire indentation on the face of the chamber. Is this normal? I have never fired or dry fired this rifle. Does the manufacturer dry fire their rimfire guns before leaving the factory? I also have the Ruger Mark III and it has no signs of dry fire whatsoever. I wonder if Marlin uses a weaker steel.

Thanks

CMG
09-15-2012, 19:52
Different designs.

Bill Ruger designed his guns with a firing pin that can not reach the chamber mouth, but still has sufficient travel to pinch the rim. Dry firing a Ruger rimfire will do no damage to the chamber.

Snowybaz
09-24-2012, 18:25
if you do want to dry fire a rimfire place an empty case in the chamber.

mac66
09-25-2012, 12:43
I would guess the factory function tests the rifles which means they pull the bolt back and then dry fire it. There is no other way to release the hammer than to dry fire it.

The Model 60 is not made for extensive dry firing. A few times here and there and to release the hammer won't hurt it. Use a snap cap or empty casing if you want to practice with the trigger. Do not dry fire it extensively or you will break the firing pin. It happened to me.