USPSA rifle suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USPSA rifle suggestions

mike g35
09-16-2012, 17:10
I'm looking into getting into 3 gun and USPSA rifle. Ive been looking for a "relatively" inexpensive rifle and I've came up with these options:
1. JP 15
2.STAG 3G
3.STI Sporting rifle
4.Black Rain PG11
Your thoughts and opinions? I listed those in the order I'm considering them in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Fwdftw
09-16-2012, 18:02
For a competition gun, id say it would be better to build it around you.. not something some company has labeled a 3 gun ar15.

G23Adam
09-16-2012, 19:16
IMHO build yourself a 16-18" middy upper with a 13" rail on it, highly recommend the SJC Comp. and Troy rail.

Nice 1-4x optic with a side saddle red dot.

Huge tac latch on the charging handle of your choice.

It would be nice on a Noveske lower with the huge mag funnel on there. Go with a MOE or STR stock, depending on what you like in a cheek weld.

Sling it the way you like, and feed it lots of ammo.

Good luck, and have fun :)

samuse
09-16-2012, 21:26
It depends on how far you'll likely be shooting.

If you're gonna be out at 200+, magnification and good trigger will go a long way.

The clubs I shoot at only go out to around 100. I just shoot a 14.5" carbine M4gery type gun and do fine but it takes more work on my part.

Shoot what you like. I hate race guns, so I shoot my 'everyday' stuff.

mike g35
09-17-2012, 04:15
IMHO build yourself a 16-18" middy upper with a 13" rail on it, highly recommend the SJC Comp. and Troy rail.

Nice 1-4x optic with a side saddle red dot.

Huge tac latch on the charging handle of your choice.

It would be nice on a Noveske lower with the huge mag funnel on there. Go with a MOE or STR stock, depending on what you like in a cheek weld.

Sling it the way you like, and feed it lots of ammo.

Good luck, and have fun :)
Thanks for all the ideas and info. Max range for me will be 200 yards or so, so a good barrel, optic, and trigger is a must. Looked at the SJC comp, thanks for that. I'm VERY familiar with their Glock line. Didn't know about the larger magwell on the noveske lower either. Looks like I have more research to do, I'll keep shooting my M4 for now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G23Adam
09-17-2012, 06:54
I didn't mention a trigger, as they are extremely personal preference, but for shooting a stage, I prefer the Timney dropins. Very light, enough hammer to pop the primer reliably, and a pretty quick lock time, well felt reset point...

Start collecting parts, you'll have it together eventually :)

Aiden
09-18-2012, 17:54
On your list, I like the JP the most. I've been in the market for a 3gun AR for awhile, and I've been hitting up friends who own most of the popular guns/parts so I can get some feedback on them.

If you could, find someone who has the Geissele 3G trigger. It's a slightly different kind of trigger, and it comes with the Stag 3G. I personally like it, but out of the different competition triggers I've tried, I like the JP single stage the most. Geissele is a close second, but I'm not nearly skilled enough to shoot that trigger as quickly as it can be pulled. Like G23Adam said, a trigger is a very personal thing.

That aside, I'm piecing together my own rather than buying a built one, partially because I want to shoot irons only, and partially because my budget has been cut in half, so it's cheaper to build what I want, or at least build some of it.