10mm Newbie with Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Newbie with Questions

TattooedGlock
09-17-2012, 06:35
Ok, I'm not a gun newbie. I love .45 and have been carrying them and shooting them for decades. I'm thinking of getting a 10mm just for grins. I might use it as a carry gun and I might use it for some deer or hog hunting.

What are some good links, threads, sites, etc about the 10mm? I've heard ammo is scarce and overpriced. Is that true? Are Glocks reliable in the 10mm arena? I'm considering a Gen 4, of which I have several other calibers which I enjoy.

Any info would be appreicated!

JBnTX
09-17-2012, 06:47
The 10mm is the perfect cartridge and the Glock 20 is the perfect pistol for it.

Also consider the Colt Delta Elite and the Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm.

Ammo is expensive and "sometimes" hard to find.
That's why most 10mm shooters reload.

TattooedGlock
09-17-2012, 07:00
Also, is a Gen 4 version suppose to come out?

piperman
09-17-2012, 07:08
Also, is a Gen 4 version suppose to come out?

I was wondering this also, because I was waiting to get my 20, since I never saw any indication, I just bought my new Gen 3 20 last week. I know they updated even the 21 now, but haven't seen anything about the 20.

Maybe someone else knows more.

Steve

skier92857
09-17-2012, 08:28
Hi from a fellow 10mm (and Glock actually) newbie! I picked up my g20sf 3rd gen on friday.

The gen 4 20 is out, and has been for a couple of months (inb4 plouffedaddy's eye candy). To the best of my knowledge, its still fairly rare and is still blue label only, both reasons why I ended up just getting a 3rd gen. I couldnt find anywhere in ohio with a 4th gen, and I'd have to look up my EMT license out of a drawer anyhow to qualify for blue label....but the LGS had 2 g20sfs for 569...so I jumped on it. I also picked up a 20 box of winchester silvertips at the store...17.99...just to have something to chamber before my real ammo order gets here. I am going to pick up a few boxes of underwoods various 10mm offerings, as underwood has an excellent reputation on here for fairly priced hot ammo. Around here even in the giant gun stores 10mm is limited and pricey. It seems like underwood is the only way to go.

As for me, I have an 870 thats the HD weapon but I will likely sit this on the nightstand as I live in a small apartment that is more suited to a handgun (with an excellent one way shooting lane to boot). Overall I wanted a woods gun, HD weapon, and a little flexibility to have something usable during deer season also.

Havent shot the thing yet but cleaned it up and loaded a mag just in case, otherwise waiting for some ammo then its off to a boys property for some shooting, cigars, then some brewskis afterwards.

What was your question again? Haha sorry I just was excited to post on my new baby. Hope you end up with one, and settle in here as there is a ton of knowledge that we both will benefit from.

AKRover
09-17-2012, 11:10
I've been carrying a Glock 20 Gen3 for about 5 years and it has become the firearm that I judge reliability against. It's had a few stumbles when experimenting with different ammo and recoil springs but overall I have complete confidence that when I need it it won't let me down. At the range is where I experiment with ammo. When I'm carrying for defense I make sure to use ammo I'm sure will function properly. Currently I'm carrying DoubleTap 165gr Golden Saber rounds. Once those are gone I'll decided on something else, probably Underwood 180gr XTPs.

Teecher45
09-17-2012, 17:54
Ok, I'm not a gun newbie. I love .45 and have been carrying them and shooting them for decades. I'm thinking of getting a 10mm just for grins. I might use it as a carry gun and I might use it for some deer or hog hunting.

What are some good links, threads, sites, etc about the 10mm? I've heard ammo is scarce and overpriced. Is that true? Are Glocks reliable in the 10mm arena? I'm considering a Gen 4, of which I have several other calibers which I enjoy.

Any info would be appreicated!
Hi TattooedGlock, I was also a big .45 guy (did you notice the "was" part?, Ha!) I bought a 29SF and absolutely love it. I still have my Gen 4 21, but it doesn't get much range time anymore. If It wasn't for the amount of .45 ammo I have stockpiled it would have probably turned into a 20SF by now.
BTW, I still really like the 21, just like the 10mm better. If you read nothing else read the stickies here (up top). The only way I would call 10mm ammo scarce is if you were looking for full power loads at walmart, not gonna happen. Google www.underwoodammo.com (http://www.underwoodammo.com) and look around for some reviews. I say go for it. Expensive? Whinchester 175gr.Silvertips around here is the same price (or lower in most cases) than premium .45 ammo. I carry Underwood's 165gr. GD for town and 200gr. XTP's in the woods.

skier92857
09-20-2012, 16:12
Pulled together 100 bucks and ordered 3 boxes of underwood... 135gr JHP, 165gr JHP, and 200gr XTPs (for woods/hunting).

Next on the list, 6in barrel, .40 conversion barrel, and a streamlight.

drsjr1969
09-20-2012, 16:51
Since you were asking for links check my 10mm stuff out in my signature.

My spreadsheet has 75 different 10mm rounds tested on it most are still in production and can be found easily.

Wolf Spyder
09-21-2012, 13:17
Ok, I'm not a gun newbie. I love .45 and have been carrying them and shooting them for decades.

While I may joke about your love of the .45ACP, and being two decades behind the times, I won't. If you spend time reading about the 10mm you will find that the 10mm is a much better cartridge.

The best reason I can give .45ACP lovers as to why the 10mm is better is this; You can shoot a bad guy in the chest at point blank range with your .45ACP and I can shoot that same bad guy in the chest from 100 yards away with my 10mm Glock 20. The 10mm will hit that bad guy with more energy and do more damage even after traveling 100 yards, than your .45ACP can at point blank range.

Like so many others, once you start shooting the 10mm it will become your primary goto pistol.

I'm thinking of getting a 10mm just for grins. I might use it as a carry gun and I might use it for some deer or hog hunting.

I have been carrying my 10mm Glock 20 for my than a decade. I have over 10,000 rounds through one Glock 20 with no gun or magazine related malfunctions. I have another Glock 20 that has over 2000 rounds through it with no gun or magazine related malfunctions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0404Editedsmaller.jpg

Can you tell which one I carry more often?

Any info would be appreciated!

The 10mm will never be adopted by a large law enforcement agency so ammo will never be as cheap or as prevalent as 9mm or .40S&W. However, it is no more expensive than most of the other cartridges out there like .357SIG and others that are not either the 9mm or .40S&W. It is my opinion that the 165 gr. Gold Dot load from Underwood Ammunition and the 180 gr. Gold Dot load from Underwood Ammunition are some of the best out there in full power 10mm Auto.

The FBI testing found that the 10mm was far more inherently accurate than any of the other cartridges tested back in 1987 - 1989. I agree as seen below. I shot that target several years ago, but I would like to say that the Glock 20 hasn't lost any of it's accuracy over the last decade. I can still hit a two inch bulls eye at 50 yards from a sandbag rest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/30rnd10mmsmall.jpg

I believe in the 10mm and the Glock 20. I carry it everyday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0412small.jpg

blastfact
09-21-2012, 23:04
Go get you some! A G20 will take you to a place grown men get getty over like a school girl. Then your wife picks it up and out shoots you with nuke loads first time at the range with that pistol in her very small, soft and tender hands. And men complain about the egro's, or this hurts my hand. Or I can't hit my buddy's barn, muchless mine.

A 10mm Glock is a damn blessing! And the true KING of Glock! Glock has not stopped supporting 10mm. When Glock said we are going to produce and support 10mm. They earned my respect. Others came and went. Let us not chat about my old Colt over priced link busting, slide cracking Delta that failed on retail Norma ammo of the time. Forget the bench loaded ammo.

Then

A G20/29 could be found.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/g202.jpg

That G20 ROCKS!

But it does have friends. And one that some folks want to fight about ballistics wise. A locked and MIM Smith Revolver. My 4" MIM and Locked 686P is a combat pistol from hell. Yeah she is polished up. Fitted up good, Eats match rods like you best dream. And has a great trigger in double action that will make a striker look like a cheap bargain. Lets us not wish for it's single action trigger in G20. It can't be done. :(

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/6867.jpg

Of all the pistols and ammo combo's out there and that I own. The most accurate is my CZ52. The barrel is black. A bit of detailing and finish work, It's a insane weapon. 100 yard shots are. Really,, we didn't have to think about that.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/S7300406.JPG

A trigger the Smith might be upset over if I didn't know better.

But then there is this.

A Virgin G20.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/103_0001.JPG

They all start out like this. IMHO,,, a good pistol less the sloppy loose whore chamber and euro trash barrel, the King of Glocks. The best Glock. The most respected Glock. And a barrel and chamber that sucks. So buy your G20 right and throw the OEM barrel in a furnace to be melted down and make something useful with. Or never fire a round through it and set it back for folks down the road that will spend money on junk. Kind of like iphone fans,,, You know the type. Get a after market barrel, wake up and get rid of the OEM RSA. Play with connectors and trigger mods. But the fact is. No matter what you do a Glock trigger is mush and resets like a WWII childs toy ID clicker.

I can ***** about the pistol. But guess whats with me on my desk. A 3rd Gen G20 full size with a LW detailed out barrel and connector, a 22lb RSA and SS captured rod. Loaded up with NUKE 180gn XTP's in new Win brass with CCI mag primers.

If you don't have some,,, You really need to get some! :)

pasky2112
09-22-2012, 23:06
Thanks for the blog! Well said. That sure is a pretty 686 you have there, too.

Opie 1 Kenopie
09-23-2012, 21:50
Thanks for the blog! Well said. That sure is a pretty 686 you have there, too.

I was thinking Blastfact was drunk when he wrote that. It kinda rambles in many directions without making much sense. The important thing is that he included some cool pics!

TattooedGlock
09-24-2012, 05:29
Awesome replies guys and if you see my other post you'll know I'm the proud new owner of a 20SF!!!!!!!!

ithaca_deerslayer
09-24-2012, 06:15
Great thread. A Glock 10mm is on my list of considerations for my next gun :)