Education and opinions on cell boosters please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Education and opinions on cell boosters please

tooledws2
09-17-2012, 15:48
So has anyone used cellular boosters for a house with not so good reception? If so what kind? How much? How did it work?

woodasptim
09-17-2012, 16:15
Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders zBoost YX545 SOHO Dual-Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Coverage: Cell Phones & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41O-apWf3SL.@@AMEPARAM@@41O-apWf3SL

The location that I installed it at went from no bars to 5 bars. This was in a farm co-op. Those metal buildings are like giant Faraday cages. When we tested it in my office it wasn't impressive at all, until I read about the 15 ft of vertical separation between the indoor and outdoor antenna. After I moved the outside antenna higher it performed perfectly. I'd test the signal wherever I was going to put the outside antenna before ordering it though. If you can't get a decent signal there, then it doesn't have anything to boost.

ps - The included coax is crap, get some decent RG6 while you're at it and save the trouble down the road. Also, it doesn't come with a ground wire for the external antenna, but I would highly recommend adding one.

VELO
09-17-2012, 17:21
Tagged. This is a thread that I've been meaning to start as well. Curious to see if there's any more info.

USMCsilver
09-17-2012, 17:28
We are with Verizon and got theirs.

My wife called and complained about not having service at the house after 2 years. No carrier works at my house, but if I travel (or anyone travels) in any direction about 200 yards, any phone works fine.

So...they gave us the $200 unit for $50. We were offered a re-burb'd one for free, but I wanted new.

It's been flawless. The antenna was run through a window and placed outside and on the porch rail.

I get full bars now at the house and the clarity is just like it would be anywhere else.

No complaints what-so-ever. We're gonna FINALLY nix the home phone line! Hooray! An extra ~$42/mo. we won't have to spend!

Jon_R
09-17-2012, 17:40
I bought one of these.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03/28/att-3g-microcell-review-good-quality-but-dont-pay-for-it/

It works well in my house for multiple phones. It is basically a cell tower in your house that talks to the provider via your broadband connection.

It is ATT specific not sure what other providers offer.

tooledws2
09-17-2012, 20:38
Thanks for the info. It seems that people other than me might be interested, i will say that I am with AT&T but I won't be the only one in the house so the AT&T specific prob won't be much help. But I like seeing that two people have had good experiences. I saw one that was Internet dependent. I was wondering what the advantage was and also anyone that has one could you say weather or not yours need Internet.
Thanks!

HollowHead
09-17-2012, 20:43
We've tried three different ones with no success. As I understand it, if you're in a dead zone with three or more equidistant towers...you need to find the "dominant" tower and aim the base unit antenna towards it. Our problem was that we were right in the center of a three tower zone and aiming the antenna worked no better than just using the phones themselves. HH

Jon_R
09-17-2012, 20:45
Thanks for the info. It seems that people other than me might be interested, i will say that I am with AT&T but I won't be the only one in the house so the AT&T specific prob won't be much help. But I like seeing that two people have had good experiences. I saw one that was Internet dependent. I was wondering what the advantage was and also anyone that has one could you say weather or not yours need Internet.
Thanks!

The AT&T micro cell requires an Internet Connection.

USMCsilver
09-17-2012, 20:45
Mine plugs straight into my hi-speed router and is a VOIP-type device.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab via Tapatalk2

drm237
09-20-2012, 15:35
The ones that plug into the internet are called femtocells. They work well if you have one provider for everyone who's in the house. The crappy thing is that carriers still generally charge you for minutes and data that you use through the femtocell even though it's going over your internet connection!

Signal boosters can boost multiple carriers at the same time in many cases so that sounds like what you need. The first thing you need to do is figure out where you get the strongest signal. Usually this is on the roof so take your phone up there and see how many bars you get. The stronger the signal the better but even with a weak signal, you can usually make a booster work.

Once you know how strong of a signal you have, based on the size of your house, you can pick a system. I have a 2500 sqft house and use a Wilson DB Pro with a Yagi antenna (http://www.ubersignal.com/wilson-dual-band-db-pro-yagi-kit-841263.html). I have Verizon and my wife has AT&T and it works great for both. The YX545 works well if you have a strong signal outside and less than 1500 sqft inside. I tried one but it wasn't strong enough for my place.

Let us know how strong your signal is and how large of an area you need to cover and we can probably come up with a suggestion. Hope that helps.

tooledws2
10-04-2012, 16:04
The house that needs to be covered is around 1600 sq/ ft
And the signal OSA bar or two on the house I'm sure it would be pretty consistant on the roof at a bar or two

prism
10-04-2012, 17:26
would these boost the connection speed of a usb laptop internet card? (air card)

drm237
10-04-2012, 17:29
The house that needs to be covered is around 1600 sq/ ft
And the signal OSA bar or two on the house I'm sure it would be pretty consistant on the roof at a bar or two

If you had a strong signal, you could get away with a YX545 (http://www.ubersignal.com/wi-ex-zboost-soho-dual-band-repeater-kit-yx545.html). This might still work if you only need signal in one or two rooms.

If you do want to cover the whole house, your best bet is a Wilson DB Pro with a Yagi (http://www.ubersignal.com/wilson-dual-band-db-pro-yagi-kit-841263.html) like I have. It's a more powerful amplifier that can cover a larger house, but with a weak outside signal, the effectiveness of the amplifier goes way down unfortunately.

drm237
10-04-2012, 17:32
would these boost the connection speed of a usb laptop internet card? (air card)

They would increase the speed if, and only if, the reason you're having slow speeds is because of a weak signal. If you have a decent signal, these won't do anything. If you only have one or two bars, it's likely that a signal booster would help.

If your USB card has an external antenna port, it's possible to just get an external antenna, or a direct connect system where there's an antenna connected to a small amplifier which connects directly to the USB card. If you want to be able to support your card and your phone, then you would need a wireless signal booster like the ones mentioned above. I hope that helps!

Bruce M
10-04-2012, 17:43
Limited experience suggests that when using a bidirectional amplifier the type, placement and height of the external antenna can improve the results substantially.

concretefuzzynuts
10-04-2012, 17:54
The AT&T micro cell requires an Internet Connection.

Yes it does but it works great.

sappy13
10-04-2012, 19:36
My gfs parents use a ATT microcell and it works pretty good. IV got a trucking company client that has a ATT and Verizon one. They must work pretty well, because without those they have like no cell reception at all.

Minnow
10-04-2012, 19:59
The one AT&T sells work fine for me. 4-5 bars inside a 3600 sq ft home. Even works out on the back porch. All bs about using your own internet aside, the thing works and solved the problem of poor reception. Buy it at the ATT store and if it doesn't work for you, take it back. They even activated the thing for me at the store and put in all the phone numbers I wanted access for. I bookmarked the web address during the rest of the setup process at home so it's quick if I need to add a guest phone number temporarily.

concretefuzzynuts
10-05-2012, 08:30
The one AT&T sells work fine for me. 4-5 bars inside a 3600 sq ft home. Even works out on the back porch. All bs about using your own internet aside, the thing works and solved the problem of poor reception. Buy it at the ATT store and if it doesn't work for you, take it back. They even activated the thing for me at the store and put in all the phone numbers I wanted access for. I bookmarked the web address during the rest of the setup process at home so it's quick if I need to add a guest phone number temporarily.

If you call and complain they let you have one for free.

RenoF250
10-05-2012, 08:56
I tried an amp and panel antenna and it did not improve anything. The best I could do with the phone was 2 bars which would drop regularly. With panel and amp it was the same.

I have a friend with the Verizon femtocell and it often drops when he leaves the house.

Minnow
10-05-2012, 12:35
If you call and complain they let you have one for free.

I heard that rumor before as well. Even with my impressive array of verbal Judo, AT&T was not gonna give me one for free. The tower is too close to my house even though the signal sucks. I say to the op, call em' up and see if they'll work with you, but don't expect it. :cool:

prism
10-05-2012, 14:28
They would increase the speed if, and only if, the reason you're having slow speeds is because of a weak signal. If you have a decent signal, these won't do anything. If you only have one or two bars, it's likely that a signal booster would help.

!

thanks for the info. the software for the usb card shows 3 bars regularly, but it is common for download speeds to fall to near zero. verizon changed something last spring, because before that I had no problems. my contract is over now.

concretefuzzynuts
10-05-2012, 15:06
I heard that rumor before as well. Even with my impressive array of verbal Judo, AT&T was not gonna give me one for free. The tower is too close to my house even though the signal sucks. I say to the op, call em' up and see if they'll work with you, but don't expect it. :cool:

Got mine for free. I called and complained about the weak signal where I live, told them my contract was about up and I was thinking about switching services. The lady offered a micro-cell for free, I accepted, got a discount on an iPhone and signed another two year contract.

If I had switched I would have had to sign a contract anyway.

Kentucky Shooter
10-05-2012, 15:24
We are with Verizon and got theirs.

My wife called and complained about not having service at the house after 2 years. No carrier works at my house, but if I travel (or anyone travels) in any direction about 200 yards, any phone works fine.

So...they gave us the $200 unit for $50. We were offered a re-burb'd one for free, but I wanted new.

It's been flawless. The antenna was run through a window and placed outside and on the porch rail.

I get full bars now at the house and the clarity is just like it would be anywhere else.

No complaints what-so-ever. We're gonna FINALLY nix the home phone line! Hooray! An extra ~$42/mo. we won't have to spend!

The Verizon booster is great-- i have one at home and at work. It is flawless.

rockymtnhorror
10-05-2012, 19:12
I'm on Sprint and got them to give me a femtocell. It works great as long as its GPS can get a satellite signal to verify you're in the US. Plus I can set it to only recognize my Sprint numbers so no one else can piggyback.

I've had it for a couple of years, and I understand they're a lot more difficult to get comped now.

Minnow
10-05-2012, 19:57
Got mine for free. I called and complained about the weak signal where I live, told them my contract was about up and I was thinking about switching services. The lady offered a micro-cell for free, I accepted, got a discount on an iPhone and signed another two year contract.

If I had switched I would have had to sign a contract anyway.

Cool.
I unfortunately was not near the end of my contract so they wouldn't give me anything.