Made my first big reloading mistake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Made my first big reloading mistake

man.cave
09-17-2012, 17:33
I was working up some 380 loads for my wife and hand primed them with CCI 400 (small riffle) instead of CCI 500. So I thought I would ask the stupid question. should I just use them knowing they are harder and burn faster or deprime them (about 300). The thought of depriming that many live primers isn't exciting.

The only things they would be shot out of are all Hammer fired pistols. Let me know if this mistake has been made and didn't have a problem. I am leaning towards depriming.

dkf
09-17-2012, 17:55
You might get some gases blowing by the primer. They would work but you should redevelop the load. If it were me I would remove the primers.

WiskyT
09-17-2012, 18:02
Double the powder charge and be the first to make major with the 380ACP! You'll be a hero on Brian Enos forums.

Seriously, I would load ten of them with a start charge and see how they do. Like DFK suggested, check for gas blowing by the primer pocket since this could cause damage to your breach face in short order.

man.cave
09-17-2012, 18:39
when you talk about gas blowing by, is this shown by the primer being pushed out, Because when I tested the cases empty, all of them pushed the primer out some

dkf
09-17-2012, 18:48
The primers will walk out when shooting them off with no powder or bullet even with the right primer. I have had it happen to me.

Excessive gas cutting by using SRP instead of SPP in 9mm.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/edited-Glock17BreechCutting006.jpg

man.cave
09-17-2012, 18:58
The primers will walk out when shooting them off with no powder or bullet even with the right primer. I have had it happen to me.

Excessive gas cutting by using SRP instead of SPP in 9mm.

Thanks DKF I under stand. I might just put them on the self for a SHTF or something lol.

jdavionic
09-17-2012, 19:03
Double the powder charge and be the first to make major with the 380ACP! You'll be a hero on Brian Enos forums.

:rofl: Thanks, I needed that.

glk36lvr
09-27-2012, 03:40
Be warned,they will cause higher pressures! I would remove the primers or toss the cases and consider it a lesson learned. Back when Obummer got elected and primers where hard to come by i made a mistake and trusted a friend when he said "you can use magnum small rifle primers in place of standard small rifle for the 5.56 because i called Seirra bullet company and they said you can with no problem". I loaded about a hundred and when i shot them everyone had split necks! My load was at close to minumum for powder charge.

man.cave
09-27-2012, 17:51
I am thinking of just keeping them for a worst case situation. We are talking .380 auto with less than 3 gr of powder. I agree they will be somewhat higher presure, but my loads are on the low end to begin with. Thanks for advice

alank2
09-27-2012, 18:06
Hi,

I wouldn't fire them and take the chance. I would pull them with a collet style puller if you can get a grip on the bullet and then slowly deprime them. I've deprimed live primers plenty of times and no biggie - just go slow and light pressure.

Good luck,

Alan

man.cave
09-27-2012, 18:10
I am not using them, they are just primed no bullet. I have plenty of other brass thus I will put the 300+rds in a sealed ziploc bowl and they will just stay there. I have deprimed live primers before with out issue, just not 300 of them.