Dillion 550b - Failure to Feed Primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillion 550b - Failure to Feed Primers

SBray
09-17-2012, 20:34
Folks,

I was loading up some 45 ACP this afternoon. Everything was going along smoothly and then the primers were not being seated in the cases. It felt as if something was out of alignment and binding. I removed the rounds in the carousel. I saw that the Primer Seating Cup (# 13824) was rubbing against the left side of the hole in the Shell Plate Platform (# 13781). I took the primer housing apart and found a spent primer down in between the Shell Plate Platform and the Primer Housing. I removed all the live primers out of the primer tube and re-assembled everything. Somehow the whole assembly had come out of alignment. I eventually got it back together and working smoothly without any primers in the tube. After replacing the primers in the tube and operating the reloader, I noticed the Spent Primer Catcher Chute (# 13899) was bent/compressed and bound around the Roller Brackett Assembly (#14280). I removed it and spread out the chute so that it operated freely.

Now the questions, how did this happen? Was it just the Primer Housing Screws (# 14014) came loose? I would really like to know so that I donít have to go through all that again.

I appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks,

Steve

fredj338
09-18-2012, 00:41
THE screws probably came loose. All progressives run better when everything is adjusted correctly & all screws snugged up. Check them periodically.

SBray
09-18-2012, 18:48
THE screws probably came loose. All progressives run better when everything is adjusted correctly & all screws snugged up. Check them periodically.

I am sure you are right! I couldn't think of anything else it could be, so I thought I would throw it out there to the readers that are a lot more knowledgeable than I am about Dillion reloaders.

My experience with progressive reloaders is that, if there is going to be a problem, it is most likely going to be with the primer feed system.

Thanks,

Steve

Colorado4Wheel
09-18-2012, 20:08
Biggest issue is the primers sometimes miss the chute and get stuck by the slider. This can really mess things up.

Also,

Sometime that chute gets jammed closed and every primer falls on the press. Just keep an eye on it. Also, clean it regularly. Polish the slider every once in a while.

PCJim
09-18-2012, 22:13
The priming system on the 550 is its weak link, if it has one. I've experienced this same problem.

Keep the slider bar as clean as you can. Compressed air to blow particulates from the area helps a lot, too.

As to the spent primer chute, I have no clue how the cotter pin or the moving catch can get bent, but it happens. Straighten them out as best you can. If Dillon ever redesigns that area, I'll be one of the first to get a retrofit on three of their presses.

tac_driver
09-19-2012, 02:45
instead of the cotter pin use a piece of paper clip bent at both ends.

shotgunred
09-19-2012, 06:10
Having spent primers gum up the repriming is pretty tipical on the 550. You can replace the pin that holds the cotter pin with something else and it will work better. I also taped some cardboard (empty primer case) around three sides of the spent primer cup to catch and keep more of the spent primers in the cup.

Every once in a while look down to see if a spent primer is stuck down by the bottom of the primer slide.

SBray
09-19-2012, 09:21
I appreciate all of the suggestions to help prevent this from reoccurring! Keeping a better watch out for a new primer actually going into position seems like a real good idea.

The factory cotter pin that was bent was probably the flimsiest pin I have ever seen. I will replace it as suggested.

I also have noticed the spent primers flying off away from the machine instead of in the cup. The cardboard addition sounds good to me.

Keeping the slide assembly clean and polished will have to a higher priority for me.

Thanks,

Steve

ALBin517
09-19-2012, 10:19
I've had my 550 (my first press) a couple years and most of my WTF moments are with the primer system.

Murphy's Law
09-19-2012, 10:46
+1 for what "4Wheel" had to say.

SPIN2010
09-19-2012, 10:54
instead of the cotter pin use a piece of paper clip bent at both ends.

As another item of interest you can take the chute off and modify it by drilling. Drill the two pieces to accept a nice piece of small welding TiG wire or rod. Cap the ends with epoxy and it is fixed for life.

Also make sure the chute is bent all back into the original form and use some little delrin washers (or plastic) to seperate the two pieces of the chute. As an added thing you can deburr the edge of the bar (where the chute hits) to give the chute more land to activate with.

SBray
09-21-2012, 15:54
Well I got the 550 going again with the 45 ACPs. After three or four rounds it stopped delivering the primers. I tore apart the primer assembly and noticed the next on board primer was upside down (facing the wrong way) in the primer chute. I dumped all the primers out and re-installed them. I have found the primers tend to stick on the insertion end of the primer loading tube. Most of the primers slide right through the loading tube but the last one in has to be pushed past the plastic end into the tube. I get the impression that there is a lot of wiggle room in that loading tube to allow the primers to turn side ways or upside down. Anyway, I decided to sit off to the right side of the loader so that I can watch the primers being delivered to the case.

Also, I noticed the primer catcher chute was stuck to the frame again and the spent primers were going all over the place. I took off the cheap cotter pin and replaced it with a portion of a large paper clip (I didn't have any of the other suggested replacement items available at the time). The paper clip seems to work great!

Slowly but surely, everything is working as advertised.

Thanks,

Steve

SBray
09-21-2012, 15:55
"Also make sure the chute is bent all back into the original form and use some little delrin washers (or plastic) to seperate the two pieces of the chute. As an added thing you can deburr the edge of the bar (where the chute hits) to give the chute more land to activate with."

SPIN2010,

I am not familiar with "delrin washers". Where do you get those? Do you position them between the frame and the chute to keep the spacing?

Steve

ken grant
09-21-2012, 17:26
Easy fix for primer chute sticking open.
Steal a small magnet from whatever your wife sticks to Fridge door.
stick it to the top rear of the moveable part of the chute and sticky chute goes away.

It adds a little weight to the top and drops closed better.

SBray
09-21-2012, 17:42
Easy fix for primer chute sticking open.
Steal a small magnet from whatever your wife sticks to Fridge door.
stick it to the top rear of the moveable part of the chute and sticky chute goes away.

It adds a little weight to the top and drops closed better.

Ken,

I got just the thing for that purpose. I bought some magnets from this supplier to use out in the shop. They make all shapes of magnets that are good quality:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?gclid=CPbG0fzrx7ICFQXhQgodVCAAKQ

Scratch that idea, those magnets are too strong!

Thanks,

Steve