Point of Lower 1/3 Co-Witness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Point of Lower 1/3 Co-Witness

M&P15T
09-17-2012, 23:58
What is the point to it, or why does it exist?

I have a (fake) AN-PEQ15 that I tried putting on the top of my rail, instead of on the side, and I noticed that it blocked part of the sight picture through my Eotech.

Would that be the point to taller bases/mounts that provide a lower 1/3rd co-witness? Clearing accessories mounted in front of optics?

Airhasz
09-18-2012, 00:21
I use taller mounts so my x3 mag clears my rear matech bius which gives me lower 1/3 CW...

DaleGribble
09-18-2012, 03:11
What is the point to it, or why does it exist?

It allows the server to get more top spin on the ball making a return of the serve much more difficult. When I switched to a lower third cowitness my serve speed shot up 10mph from 130 mph to 140 mph. I really began crushing the ball, even put one straight through the net, burned a hole through it like a hot knife through buttah!!!!!

Take a breath, I'm just kidding...

It simply puts the iron sights, or your toy Peq, farther below the red dot or reticle when looking through whatever optic you're using.

nipperwolf
09-18-2012, 03:16
What is the point of a fake AN-PEQ15?

:supergrin:

Bren
09-18-2012, 04:46

You're questioning a guy who had to start a thread because he found it so unbelievable that some people actually have guns for purposes other than "toys" and tin can shooting?:rofl::rofl:

KalashniKEV
09-18-2012, 07:39
Less obstruction.

Next question.

surf
09-18-2012, 23:35
Besides what has been mentioned, more of a heads up style of shooting which is a good thing and especially if you are wearing a helmet. Also good for those that prefer to run a fixed rear BUIS as it leaves the BUIS out of the field of view better for the optic.

wait......fake what?

eyelikeglasses
09-19-2012, 07:46
It's so you have a bigger field of view through your optic. Instead of the front sight post and dot being centered, they are lower. When you shoot at multiple/moving targets it helps you see more without moving your head off the optic. At least for me.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 08:43
You're questioning a guy who had to start a thread because he found it so unbelievable that some people actually have guns for purposes other than "toys" and tin can shooting?:rofl::rofl:

Please share with us Bren, when was the last time you shot someone with your AR? When was the last time you assaulted a Taliban position with your AR, or took out a barricaded suspect with your AR?

Very few peope here use ARs for "work", most people here are civilians. No matter what most folks want to say about why they own firearms, 99.9999% of the rounds out of civilian owned ARs are for nothing more than hobby/pleasure.

The point of that thread was to show that no matter what people want to think about why they own firearms, it's mostly for fun and hobby.

And the thread showed that.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 08:44

"The point" is about $2500.00:supergrin:

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 08:49
Besides what has been mentioned, more of a heads up style of shooting which is a good thing and especially if you are wearing a helmet. Also good for those that prefer to run a fixed rear BUIS as it leaves the BUIS out of the field of view better for the optic.

wait......fake what?

Fake/airsoft PEQ-15, I discussed it in a thread. I watched that damn movie Act of Valor, and I had to have one......so I bought a $100 airsoft version.:rofl::rofl:

I'm waiting to have a spare $2500.00 lying around.:supergrin:

Thanks for the info.

Travclem
09-19-2012, 10:15
Please share with us Bren, when was the last time you shot someone with your AR? When was the last time you assaulted a Taliban position with your AR, or took out a barricaded suspect with your AR?

Very few peope here use ARs for "work", most people here are civilians. No matter what most folks want to say about why the own firearms, 99.9999% of the rounds out of civilian owned ARs are for nothing more than hobby/pleasure.

The point of that thread was to show that no matter what people want to think about why they own firearms, it's mostly for fun and hobby.

And the thread showed that.

Spend your time and money how you see fit, but don't be so quick to assume what others have their rifles for. Not everyone spends their adult life playing G.I. Joe.

mvician
09-19-2012, 10:29
Can we just get this locked now? :dunno:

MD357
09-19-2012, 10:32
So you're worried that a fake accessory compromises a sight picture? How about taking off said POS?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 10:36
Spend your time and money how you see fit, but don't be so quick to assume what others have their rifles for. Not everyone spends their adult life playing G.I. Joe.

I do my very best not to assume anything, nor do I "play" anything. However, here in the BRF, ARs are taken very, very, very seriously by some. To the point where it's painfully obvious that a few people that post here are mall ninjas, thinking they're going to save the world with their ARs.

Being as realistic as possible, only a very few select people that post in this forum can really say that their AR is truly something they "work" with, right now, at this very point in time (and only Airborn Infantry comes to mind). Some others seem to be training and planning and building towards.....what?

At least I have the guts to lable my reasons of owning an AR based on reality, and not some self-constructed fantasy world.

How about you? Going to kick in some doors today? Going to head to Afghanistan and go on patrol?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 10:36
So you're worried that a fake accessory compromises a sight picture? How about taking off said POS?

No....not worried at all.

And it's only 1/2, or 1/3rd fake, because despite the fact that it's a cheap, Chinese airsoft knock off POS, the damn thing actually works as a normal light and laser.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 10:37
Can we just get this locked now? :dunno:

Not necessary, if folks can restrain themselves from being insulting.

MD357
09-19-2012, 10:57
No....not worried at all.

Interesting that you started a thread about it then....

And it's only 1/2, or 1/3rd fake, because despite the fact that it's a cheap, Chinese airsoft knock off POS, the damn thing actually works as a normal light and laser.

So you're saying these are 1/2, 1/3 the quality of a real one? or at least in function? Help me out.... I'm not up to speed on Airsoft.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:01
Right, which is why you started a thread.

I started the thread to ask about why 1/3 co-witness got started, what was the reasons for it. I asked because when considering buying a new Eotech, I noticed that a few of the new XPS models have built-in risers, giving them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

As far as the fake AN/PEQ-15, let's just say that's it's not completely useless. As I said, the damn thing actually works as a light & laser, which is better than I thought it would for $100.00

MD357
09-19-2012, 11:06
I started the thread to ask about why 1/3 co-witness got started, what was the reasons for it. I asked because when considering buying a new Eotech, I noticed that a few of the new XPS models have built-in risers, giving them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

I get this, point still remains.... why have a toy on your rifle? Unless you can justify your 1/2 fake remark?

Is it on there to try to look cool at the range? Just curious...... otherwise your concerns here would be moot.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:13
I get this, point still remains.... why have a toy on your rifle? Unless you can justify your 1/2 fake remark?

Is it on there to try to look cool at the range? Just curious...... otherwise your concerns here would be moot.

I am completely un-concerned about "looking cool at the range". I don't care what others think of my rifle. I like it, I like the look of it, that's all.

And as I said, it actually functions as a light & laser. So adding that to the fact that I like the look of it, I bought it. Let's call it a "functional toy".

ancient_serpent
09-19-2012, 11:24

I have no dog in this fight, however, I'm fairly certain Bren and I have been in quite a few of the same places and I'm also willing to bet he has done as much of what you stated above as any one you're likely to meet.
While it certainly doesn't matter to me, don't be surprised at negative reactions from folks. Putting a toy on a firearm does not often meet with approval from serious shooters.

MD357
09-19-2012, 11:25
I am completely un-concerned about "looking cool at the range". I don't care what others think of my rifle. I like it, I like the look of it, that's all.

So you constantly berate people here for having more serious intentions or even considerations with their rifles. Yet in the confines of your own home it makes you happy to look at your rifle, play with it, and pretend it functions like more serious use ARs? Even spending money to do so? You're saying you are considering a new Eotech to solve your problem? Yes? Just curious on the logic here.

And as I said, it actually functions as a light & laser.

But what would you use this function for? Home defense? Fun at the RANGE?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:29
I have no dog in this fight, however, I'm fairly certain Bren and I have been in quite a few of the same places and I'm also willing to bet he has done as much of what you stated above as any one you're likely to meet.
While it certainly doesn't matter to me, don't be surprised at negative reactions from folks. Putting a toy on a firearm does not often meet with approval from serious shooters.

Please describe a "serious shooter". If someone is a serious shooter, what makes their shooting so serious? Near as I can tell, about the only serious shooters are currently in the Military, or LEOs. For everyone else, ARs are a hobby.

That's setting aside a handfull of instructors and competitors that actually earn a living shooting full time.

Travclem
09-19-2012, 11:32

As far as the fake AN/PEQ-15, let's just say that's it's not completely useless. As I said, the damn thing actually works as a light & laser, which is better than I thought it would for $100.00
Why not just buy an airsoft red dot? I mean after all your AR is just a toy and the Airsoft red dot is a tube with a red dot in it.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:34
So you constantly berate people here for having more serious intentions or even considerations with their rifles. Yet in the confines of your own home it makes you happy to look at your rifle, play with it, and pretend it functions like more serious use ARs? Even spending money to do so? You're saying you are considering a new Eotech to solve your problem? Yes? Just curious on the logic here.

Please share what "serious intentions" you have with your AR. In what manner do you intend to use your AR "seriously"?

I'm just trying to find the logic behind your line of questions.

But what would you use this function for? Home defense? Fun at the RANGE?

Both fun at the range and HD/SD. If it doesn't fall apart after the first shot.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:38
Why not just buy an airsoft red dot? I mean after all your AR is just a toy and the Airsoft red dot is a tube with a red dot in it.

You seem to be confused. I already own an Eotech, which I love. Optics are not (IMO) something to buy cheaply.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 11:40
If that $100 was spent on a class to fill the void that exists this thread wouldn't have to be.

In fact most of the local groups charge $65-$70 for a 4hr basic carbine. You would have had money left over plus a basic knowledge of the platform.

I find the lower 1/3 to be slightly faster (I'm able to find the dot faster) for me though I prefer true cowitness.

The PEQ is an aiming devise just like the RDS. What makes them different? In fact the PEQ is more important as it helps in no/low light situations where the average shooter has limited use of senses and trains less.

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 11:45
You should be able to get an inexpensive 3mm riser that will prevent you from having to replace your Eotech.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:49
If that $100 was spent on a class to fill the void that exists this thread wouldn't have to be.

In fact most of the local groups charge $65-$70 for a 4hr basic carbine. You would have had money left over plus a basic knowledge of the platform.

I find the lower 1/3 to be slightly faster (I'm able to find the dot faster) for me though I prefer true cowitness.

The PEQ is an aiming devise just like the RDS. What makes them different? In fact the PEQ is more important as it helps in no/low light situations where the average shooter has limited use of senses and trains less.

I'm looking into classes near me, and the $100 spent on it hasn't had any impact on that. Of course around here classes (1 day) are about $300.....not $65-$70. And I do have a basic knowledge of the platform.

No explanation of an AN/PEQ-15 was asked for, but thanks anyway. Hell, I don't even own an actual one.:rofl::rofl:

GAFinch
09-19-2012, 11:51
Both fun at the range and HD/SD. If it doesn't fall apart after the first shot.

So you have a potential real life need for your AR that you're preparing for?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:51
You should be able to get an inexpensive 3mm riser that will prevent you from having to replace your Eotech.

I will get a non-riser XPS at some point, but it's no priority.

scccdoc
09-19-2012, 11:53
Not necessary, if folks can restrain themselves from being insulting.

You need to start by answering 2 questions;

1. What, specifically and as detailed as possible, do you want in an AR? What do you want to do with it, what do you want it to do?

2. What is your budget?[/QUOTE]

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:53
So you have a potential real life need for your AR that you're preparing for?

No, not really. I don't consider home defense as anything very likely to ever happen. I no longer live in Detroit.:supergrin:

ancient_serpent
09-19-2012, 11:55
Please describe a "serious shooter". If someone is a serious shooter, what makes their shooting so serious? Near as I can tell, about the only serious shooters are currently in the Military, or LEOs. For everyone else, ARs are a hobby.

That's setting aside a handfull of instructors and competitors that actually earn a living shooting full time.

If memory serves, Bren has been in the military at the pointy end of the stick for a number of years. Furthermore, there are a number of gainfully employed folks that make a living working a rifle, other than LEO or .mil.
As a complete aside, congrats on getting out of Detriot.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 11:59
If memory serves, Bren has been in the military at the pointy end of the stick for a number of years. Furthermore, there are a number of gainfully employed folks that make a living working a rifle, other than LEO or .mil.
As a complete aside, congrats on getting out of Detriot.

Certainly, there are some folks that do rely on an AR, and Bren may be one of them...I don't know. Just not as many as one would imagine, reading this forum, reading the posts and threads. 95% of posters here don't, but you would think they do.

What other folks earn their living using an AR, other than those already mentioned?

Thanks....getting out of Detroit has been great.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 12:05
I'm looking into classes near me, and the $100 spent on it hasn't had any impact on that. Of course around here classes (1 day) are about $300.....not $65-$70. And I do have a basic knowledge of the platform.

No explanation of an AN/PEQ-15 was asked for, but thanks anyway. Hell, I don't even own an actual one.:rofl::rofl:

I wasn't making reference to 1-day classes. I mentioned 4hr basic classes.

Your knowledge is as questionable as your reading comprehension. The proof is here and in other threads as well. Multiple people are commenting on it is this thread and have in other threads. You're the type of firearm owner that worries me the most. You think you know and are oblivious to the fact you don't.

I'll add - Thoughyou didn't ask for an explanation you needed it. You also missed the point which has become common place w/ you.

No, not really. I don't consider home defense as anything very likely to ever happen. I no longer live in Detroit.:supergrin:

Another glaring example of your knowledge. Location has nothing to do w/ it. You can be victimized anywhere. Even in small cities such as the one I live in, good neighborhoods, or bad. It doesn't matter anymore. Example I live in a city while my good friend lives in the more privileged burbs. He was victimized and exactly one week later we had an attempted break in. Your mindset is setting you up for failure.

bmoore
09-19-2012, 12:14

Bad things happen to good people in nice areas all the time.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 12:20
I wasn't making reference to 1-day classes. I mentioned 4hr basic classes.

Your knowledge is as questionable as your reading comprehension. The proof is here and in other threads as well. Multiple people are commenting on it is this thread and have in other threads. You're the type of firearm owner that worries me the most. You think you know and are oblivious to the fact you don't.

I don't need a 4hr basic class. I've owned an AR for 5+ years and have thousands of rounds down-range. If I'm going to go to a class, it will be to enjoy learning things I don't know. And please don't bother giving examples of things like classes in your area, as it's pointless.

As far as the rest of your comment...believe me, you are absolutely, positively the last person whose opinion matters to me.

Another glaring example of your knowledge. Location has nothing to do w/ it. You can be victimized anywhere. Even in small cities such as the one I live in, good neighborhoods, or bad. It doesn't matter anymore. Example I live in a city while my good friend lives in the more privileged burbs. He was victimized and exactly one week later we had an attempted break in. Your mindset is setting you up for failure.

I have lived in both very expensive and very poor and crime ridden areas. My homes (in the past) were burglarized 3 times in Detroit. I can assure you, where you live most definitely does matter. I have never once had my place of residence burglarized outside of Detroit. I have never found a dead girl outside of any other place of residence, other than Detroit. I have not come very close to shooting someone, as I did while living in Detroit a few times, living anywhere else.

I now live in a very expensive area. No random shooting at 2AM outside of my home, no random dead people, no random crack heads, no coming home to a burglarized home.

Where you live most definitely makes a difference, to say otherwise shows a clear lack of experience.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 12:22
Bad things happen to good people in nice areas all the time.

Not like it does in bad areas...believe me.

Plus, many times violent crime happens in "nice" areas, there's a reason for it. Drugs, sex, etc.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 12:48
I don't need a 4hr basic class. I've owned an AR for 5+ years and have thousands of rounds down-range. If I'm going to go to a class, it will be to enjoy learning things I don't know. And please don't bother giving examples of things like classes in your area, as it's pointless.

Time of ownership and rounds down range mean nothing. I'm sure you're thinking to yourself how wrong I am right about now. I'll state why the above is true. The fact that this thread exists is but 1 example of why time of ownership and rounds down range mean nothing. It's all about the manner in which you do it. You can do something wrong a million times and never do it correctly. Repetition guarantees nothing

I have 10+ years behind the trigger and tens of thousands of rounds down range but just recently took another Carbine I. I even learned a thing or two. My point is there is always a different way to accomplish goals as they relate to the basic carbine and every instructor will have their own little idiosyncrasies. Every basic class I have attended has mentioned cowitness.

As soon as you stop fooling yourself and attempting to fool us you'll fair much better and your skill set will increase. Thinking you know to much will only set you back.

I have lived in both very expensive and very poor and crime ridden areas. My homes (in the past) were burglarized 3 times in Detroit. I can assure you, where you live most definitely does matter. I have never once had my place of residence burglarized outside of Detroit. I have never found a dead girl outside of any other place of residence, other than Detroit. I have not come very close to shooting someone, as I did while living in Detroit a few times, living anywhere else.

I now live in a very expensive area. No random shooting at 2AM outside of my home, no random dead people, no random crack heads, no coming home to a burglarized home.

Where you live most definitely makes a difference.

Again you missed the point. The point was it can happen everywhere/anywhere. All it takes is once. It's proven once victimized your chances of being re-victimized increases dramatically.

This isn't about who's right or wrong. Put less effort behind proving people wrong and more effort taking advantage of the good information offered and you'll be better for it.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:02
........I have 10+ years behind the trigger and tens of thousands of rounds down range but just recently took another Carbine I. I even learned a thing or two........

Let me ask you, very pointedly;

Why did you take that course? Why do you take courses to learn to shoot your AR in general?

Again you missed the point. The point was it can happen everywhere/anywhere. All it takes is once. It's proven once victimized your chances of being re-victimized increases dramatically.

This isn't about who's right or wrong. Put less effort behind proving people wrong and more effort taking advantage of the good information offered and you'll be better for it.

No, I missed nothing. You just think that the point you are trying to communicate is important to me, and it simply isn't. I have had real life experiences living in a violent city, and that has shown me a more important point than the one you are trying to make.

The point that is actually important, is not that it can happen anywhere. The important point is the statistical possibility that it will happen, based on location. You would understand this if you had the same experiences as I have.

I am well aware of everything you've posted here on this topic, and much, much more. Please don't try and lecture me on violent crime, until you can tell me you have lived in a city more violent than Detroit.

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 13:07
This purse swinging is quite entertaining. Just sayin'.

MD357
09-19-2012, 13:10
Please share what "serious intentions" you have with your AR. In what manner do you intend to use your AR "seriously"?

I'm just trying to find the logic behind your line of questions.

It's pretty simple, I'm showing the hypocrisy of playing pretend war at home and on the range while berating people on the internet for again..... having more serious intentions and considerations for their ARs. Even going so far as considering spending money to keep a toy on your rifle or at the very least working around truly functional and reliable accessories.

NeverMore1701
09-19-2012, 13:10
Yeah, always entertaining!

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 13:12
Let me ask you, very pointedly;

Why did you take that course?

Not to be any more rude than I already have but try reading my post. The answers are right there.

Not a swipe at your intelligence but slow down and understand peoples posts before commenting on them.

I am well aware of everything you've posted here on this topic, and much, much more. Please don't try and lecture me on violent crime, until you can tell me you have lived in a city more violent than Detroit.

If you understood you wouldnt have made the statements you did or even started this thread.

I have a decent grasp on Detroits crime ratings. I used to listen to Eminem all the time :supergrin:.

Edit: sorry, you edited your post after I quoted the original.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:14
It's pretty simple, I'm showing the hypocrisy of playing pretend war at home and on the range while berating people on the internet for again..... having more serious intentions and considerations for their ARs. Even going so far as considering spending money to keep a toy on your rifle or at the very least working around truly functional and reliable accessories.

Your basic assumptions are competely incorrect.

I do not play war at home.

I am not considering spending any money to keep a toy on my rifle.

What are you going on about?

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 13:19

That and he would rather spend $100 on "fake" (his word) accessories instead of tightening his grasp of the platform.

MD357
09-19-2012, 13:23

Going by your words. Let's look at the facts...

You call ARs toys....

You bought an airsoft PEQ....

You don't have a serious use for your AR or fake PEQ..

You like the "looks".....

You're so serious about this toy, you'll consider spend money to work around it.

bmoore
09-19-2012, 13:27
Plus, many times violent crime happens in "nice" areas, there's a reason for it. Drugs, sex, etc.

Oh really? Thanks for your info. 11 years of responding to 911 calls has proved otherwise for me. I guess the elderly man I took the trauma center the other night got beat down for a reason. Maybe his over 55 mobile home park was running kilos of coke or prostitution.

MD357
09-19-2012, 13:29
That and he would rather spend $100 on "fake" (his word) accessories instead of tightening his grasp of the platform.

I think we know by now he honestly feels he knows enough or doesn't see the need for any further enhancement or education so that's a brick wall.

Personally, it's always been my experience that people that are honestly intelligent and wise don't let ego compromise continuing their education or at the very least consider being dynamic in their thought processes and open themselves up to other experiences. It's just easier to tell yourself you know everything.

scccdoc
09-19-2012, 13:30

I'd back out of this thread if I were you, dude.................

gruntmedik
09-19-2012, 13:38
So, let me get this straight. By your own post, you say that some people take this forum very, very, very seriously. The very same forum you asked a question concerning a toy on a rifle. Then, when people ask you real questions, you get defensive and call their qualifications into question.

Makes perfect sense.

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 13:38
I'd back out of this thread if I were you, dude.................

Not yet, as I am having too much fun on an otherwise boring day reading this BS!

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:39
Going by your words. Let's look at the facts...

You call ARs toys....

You bought an airsoft PEQ....

You don't have a serious use for your AR or fake PEQ..

You like the "looks".....

You're so serious about this toy, you'll consider spend money to work around it.

Everything above is true, except for the part about spending money to work around "it"......I am not looking to spend any money on my AR at the moment, none what-so-ever.

Seriously, what are you talking about?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:44
So, let me get this straight. By your own post, you say that some people take this forum very, very, very seriously. The very same forum you asked a question concerning a toy on a rifle. Then, when people ask you real questions, you get defensive and call their qualifications into question.

Makes perfect sense.

I asked no question about a toy on my rifle.

I asked what the original point to risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness was, that's all. Somehow the topic has changed.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 13:46
I think we know by now he honestly feels he knows enough or doesn't see the need for any further enhancement or education so that's a brick wall.

Personally, it's always been my experience that people that are honestly intelligent and wise don't let ego compromise continuing their education or at the very least consider being dynamic in their thought processes and open themselves up to other experiences. It's just easier to tell yourself you know everything.

As long as he doesn't really believe himself.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 13:47
I asked no question about a toy on my rifle.

I asked what the original point to risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness was, that's all. Somehow the topic has changed.

And if you would spend as much effort and money on meaningful things such as learning the platform over "fake" toys you would know these things.

MD357
09-19-2012, 13:54
Everything above is true, except for the part about spending money to work around "it"......I am not looking to spend any money on my AR at the moment, none what-so-ever.

Right, I get you're backpeddling now. Otherwise, why inquire about risers? and why mention your airsoft toy?

Cheers. :rofl:

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:54
And if you would spend as much effort and money on meaningful things such as learning the platform over "fake" toys you would know these things.

Look, I asked one question....

All I wanted to know what the original reasons behind risers/lower 1/3rd co-witness. I used an example of an airsoft knock-off I bought for my AR as one possible reason for their creation.

That's all.

I have read for years about lower 1/3rd co-witness, and about different risers and mounts for Aimpoints and Eotechs. My question was, where did the idea for them come from?

I was asking a historical question. One so far, no one but Surf seems capable of giving an answer to.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 13:59
Right, I get you're backpeddling now. Otherwise, why inquire about risers? and why mention your airsoft toy?

Cheers. :rofl:

I inquired about risers (& lower 1/3rd co-witness) after I put the airsoft PEQ on the top of my rail, and noticed it blocked the sight picture of my Eotech. As I noticed this, I remembered that Eotech's line-up had a few that were on risers, that gave them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

So, I started this thread to find out if that was the original intention behind risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness.

Nowhere have I stated I was looking to make any changes to my AR, or spend any money. I just had a question about the genesis of risers/lower 1/3rd co-witness.

MD357
09-19-2012, 14:06
I inquired about risers (& lower 1/3rd co-witness) after I put the airsoft PEQ on the top of my rail, and noticed it blocked the sight picture of my Eotech. As I noticed this, I remembered that Eotech's line-up had a few that were on risers, that gave them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

So, I started this thread to find out if that was the original intention behind risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness.

Yep, glad you came full circle again. I think it was adequately addressed. Either buy a riser or remove airsoft POS, should be pretty straightforward. Point was that the accessory in question was in fact a toy.

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 14:06
I'll repeat. If your claims are true you wouldn't have needed to start such a thread.

I think everyone understands what they are dealing w/ hear from the fun they seem to be pokeing at you.

If they feel the same way as I do it doesn't matter what you know or what you don't know. It's pretending and even arguing that you know something and refusing to listen to those that do that gets you ragged on.

I'm just trying to help. I don't know why I care but I do.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 14:09
Not to be any more rude than I already have but try reading my post. The answers are right there.

No, you have not.......I'll ask again.

Why do you take courses to learn how to use your AR better?
What motivates you to spend money and time taking courses to better use an AR?

It's a simple question, really.

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 14:16
Yep, glad you came full circle again. I think it was adequately addressed. Either buy a riser or remove airsoft POS, should be pretty straightforward. Point was that the accessory in question was in fact a toy.

I am going to do neither, actually. Which was never the point of this thread. What I will do with my perfectly functioning light & laser unit, is move it back to the side rail where I originally had it mounted.

I just wondered if tall accessories like AN/PEQ-15s spurred the development of risers/mounts that give a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

I'll repeat. If your claims are true you wouldn't have needed to start such a thread.

I think everyone understands what they are dealing w/ hear from the fun they seem to be pokeing at you.

If they feel the same way as I do it doesn't matter what you know or what you don't know. It's pretending and even arguing that you know something and refusing to listen to those that do that gets you ragged on.

I'm just trying to help. I don't know why I care but I do.

I'm confused now.....claims of what? What (other than living in a violent city) have I claimed to know?

Be specific....quote me if you need to.

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 14:23
Wow. Just wow.

scccdoc
09-19-2012, 14:30
Not yet, as I am having too much fun on an otherwise boring day reading this BS!

LOL, that wasn't for you! But, it is comical!

MD357
09-19-2012, 14:31
What I will do with my perfectly functioning light & laser unit, is move it back to the side rail where I originally had it mounted.

I'm happy for you. I'm sure it will very pleasing to the eye but you might want to enhance your accuracy at playing pretend. We are talking about a toy on your toy after all....what's the "fun" if you go about it half ass?

Granted it's tired but see here..... :wavey:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aXKVMp4dYhg/Ta9-ghvpLbI/AAAAAAAAAHw/BgWqrUw5UoM/s1600/warrior888888.jpg

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 14:32
I'm happy for you. I'm sure it will very pleasing to the eye but you might want to enhance your accuracy at playing pretend. We are talking about a toy on your toy after all....

Granted it's tired but see here..... :wavey:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aXKVMp4dYhg/Ta9-ghvpLbI/AAAAAAAAAHw/BgWqrUw5UoM/s1600/warrior888888.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Now ya got it!!! Sadly, I don't own one piece of military style clothing. No camo, no belts, no pouches, no vests, no harnesses...nothing.

I know, I know.....I'm slipping.:supergrin:

ETA!! LOOK!! He's got an airsoft PEQ-something on his airsoft AR!!

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 14:49
LOL, that wasn't for you! But, it is comical!

I know.:rofl:

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 14:50
No, you have not.......I'll ask again.

Why do you take courses to learn how to use your AR better?
What motivates you to spend money and time taking courses to better use an AR?

It's a simple question, really.

It is a simple question. And it has been answered already. I may have not held your hand while explaining it to you.

I do it because it is the responsible thing to do. I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway. Would you operate a potentially deadly piece of equipment w/o knowing how to use it fully? It would be reckless to do so. Don't you think?

I'm confused now.....claims of what? What (other than living in a violent city) have I claimed to know?

Be specific....quote me if you need to.

It doesn't suprise me. It seems to be the theme w/ you.

You claimed you didn't need a basic carbine. You've claimed you have been researching the use of risers for years. You've claimed you understood. That's just this one thread.

:rofl::rofl:

Now ya got it!!! Sadly, I don't own one piece of military style clothing. No camo, no belts, no pouches, no vests, no harnesses...nothing.

I know, I know.....I'm slipping.:supergrin:

Are you saying you spent $100 on a fake PEQ but don't own any LBE and haven't received any instruction?

M&P15T
09-19-2012, 15:05
It is a simple question. And it has been answered already. I may have not held your hand while explaining it to you.

I do it because it is the responsible thing to do. I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway. Would you operate a potentially deadly piece of equipment w/o knowing how to use it fully? It would be reckless to do so. Don't you think?

Wait.

Are you saying that you are taking a "basic" introductory rifle class? Like about safety and basic handling? Like how to load and manipulate an rifle/carbine? Like a basic safety course?

Seriosuly, I was sure you meant a class on how to "run" an AR, like an "operator".:rofl::rofl:Sorry if I was miss-understanding you.

It doesn't suprise me. It seems to be the theme w/ you.

You claimed you didn't need a basic carbine. You've claimed you have been researching the use of risers for years. You've claimed you understood. That's just this one thread.

Wait...what?

I "don't need a basic carbine", or I "don't need a basic carbine course"?

If course, I guess it would depend on what you call a "basic carbine course", what is taught in one.

Anyways, I've understood what risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness are for years, I was just wondering if what spurred their creation was accessories like PEQ-15s. You can go back and re-read my thread starting post if it helps, but that's all I was asking.

Are you saying you spent $100 on a fake PEQ but don't own any LBE and haven't received any instruction?

What's LBE, and what basic instruction are you referring to?

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 15:15
You can't help the unwilling...

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 15:21
You can't help the unwilling...

QFT

You have been more than patient. I could have easily seen myself getting annoyed and escalating this into name calling (as I am never really above that as an option). Good try, though.

NeverMore1701
09-19-2012, 15:23
Wait.

Are you saying that you are taking a "basic" introductory rifle class? Like about safety and basic handling? Like how to load and manipulate an rifle/carbine? Like a basic safety course?

Seriosuly, I was sure you meant a class on how to "run" an AR, like an "operator".:rofl::rofl:Sorry if I was miss-understanding you.

Wait...what?

I "don't need a basic carbine", or I "don't need a basic carbine course"?

If course, I guess it would depend on what you call a "basic carbine course", what is taught in one.

Anyways, I've understood what risers and lower 1/3rd co-witness are for years, I was just wondering if what spurred their creation was accessories like PEQ-15s. You can go back and re-read my thread starting post if it helps, but that's all I was asking.

What's LBE, and what basic instruction are you referring to?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 15:32
QFT

You have been more than patient. I could have easily seen myself getting annoyed and escalating this into name calling (as I am never really above that as an option). Good try, though.

I appreciate it.

Travclem
09-19-2012, 15:58
Is this real life?

NeverMore1701
09-19-2012, 16:07
Is this real life?

God I hope not :rofl:

Chuck TX
09-19-2012, 16:15
I stopped frequenting this sub-forum a while ago due to the uneducated idiocy and ensuing ridiculous arguments from people who are ticked because they bought a sub-par rifle without doing their homework. They don't actually use it for anything so neither does anyone else, ect. Seems they're upping their game.

I've clearly been missing out. :rofl:

KalashniKEV
09-19-2012, 16:36
I stopped frequenting this sub-forum a while ago due to the uneducated idiocy and ensuing ridiculous arguments from people who are ticked because they bought a sub-par rifle without doing their homework. They don't actually use it for anything so neither does anyone else, ect. Seems they're upping their game.

I've clearly been missing out. :rofl:

Follow the logic... if your rifle is a joke, and you don't give a crap about that (for various reasons), your whole set up can be a joke...

But don't-you-dare laugh!
:rofl:

Airhasz
09-19-2012, 16:48
[QUOTE=M&P15T;19435859]Please share what "serious intentions" you have with your AR. In what manner do you intend to use your AR "seriously"?

I'm serious every time I handle a firearm!

CigarandScotch
09-19-2012, 16:53
I think it's more of a matrimonial intention.

themighty9mm
09-19-2012, 19:54
Never mind, have fun with your toy

mvician
09-19-2012, 20:01
Yep....this thread would have been better off locked on page one.

captdreifus
09-19-2012, 20:05
I'm more of a fan of the 1/15th co-witness.

MD357
09-19-2012, 22:45
Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy???

mjkeat
09-19-2012, 23:03
Back to life, back to reality.