Need AR15-22LR conversion kit suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need AR15-22LR conversion kit suggestions

Chris Brines
09-18-2012, 12:51
Hello,

I've decided I want to invest in a 22LR conversion kit for my AR15 (5.56, 1:9 twist). I am not really looking to spend more than $220 or so. But I want one that is versatile and works with most ammo.

I don't know much about these conversion kits so any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

WoodenPlank
09-18-2012, 12:57
Couple issues to bear in mind with conversion bolts:

They tend to be less accurate than dedicated barrels/uppers.

They can potentially cause greater wear to your barrel, due to the poor bullet-to-bore fit when firing .22 ammo down a .224 barrel. THis is also the cause of the accuracy issues.

They can be very dirty, both in the upper area, and the bore. I have also heard reports of them fouling or leading up gas ports.

They can be prone to out-of-battery detonations - I have had this one happen personally. Nowhere near as much danger as a 5.56 OOB, but certainly enough to make your pucker factor jump suddenly.

None of these are hard and fast rules with every kit and every upper, just potential issues to look out for.

SO long as you keep these things in mind, they can be a great way to shoot your AR on the very cheap. A quality kit can pay for itself with just a couple bricks of .22 ammo.

porschedog
09-18-2012, 13:13
I have a Ciener unit that works very nicely

Chris Brines
09-18-2012, 13:38
They can potentially cause greater wear to your barrel, due to the poor bullet-to-bore fit when firing .22 ammo down a .224 barrel. THis is also the cause of the accuracy issues.

They can be prone to out-of-battery detonations - I have had this one happen personally. Nowhere near as much danger as a 5.56 OOB, but certainly enough to make your pucker factor jump suddenly.

None of these are hard and fast rules with every kit and every upper, just potential issues to look out for.

How high is the likelihood of either one of these things happening, and what can be done to prevent them?

cyphertext
09-18-2012, 14:16
How high is the likelihood of either one of these things happening, and what can be done to prevent them?

I have a CMMG dedicated upper and it fired out of battery when I was breaking it in. Mine came with the "phosphated" bolt group, and the parts would drag just enough to not go back into battery. I called CMMG and they recommended to clean it, lube it lightly, and try again. I cleaned it and lubed it lightly, and then manually worked the action a couple hundred times. After that, I didn't have anymore issues with OOB.

It is probably worth the extra to get the stainless bolt. I didn't know it was an option when I purchased mine.

G23Adam
09-18-2012, 14:20
PSA has a dedicated upper on sale today...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/conversion-kits/uppers/ati-complete-upper-22lr-for-ar-15-16-125-w-28rd-mag-atim42228.html?utm_source=CCI+Mini+Mag+.22+Upper&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

smokin762
09-18-2012, 15:55
I have a CMMG dedicated upper and it fired out of battery when I was breaking it in. Mine came with the "phosphated" bolt group, and the parts would drag just enough to not go back into battery. I called CMMG and they recommended to clean it, lube it lightly, and try again. I cleaned it and lubed it lightly, and then manually worked the action a couple hundred times. After that, I didn't have anymore issues with OOB.

It is probably worth the extra to get the stainless bolt. I didn't know it was an option when I purchased mine.

I have a Spikes Tactical dedicated upper. I had a .22lr round fire out of battery once also. For me, it was an ammo issue. I was using CCI ammunition and the O.D. of the projectile was slightly out of specification and it didn’t chamber all the way. I still have 5 rounds from that package that will not chamber. The rest of them were good to go.

This was the only time I ever had trouble with CCI ammunition.:dunno:

My bolt has the Nickel Teflon finish.

smokin762
09-18-2012, 16:04
Hello,

I've decided I want to invest in a 22LR conversion kit for my AR15 (5.56, 1:9 twist). I am not really looking to spend more than $220 or so. But I want one that is versatile and works with most ammo.

I don't know much about these conversion kits so any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I would think a 1/16 barrel is an Industry standard for a reason when it comes to .22lr rifles. Besides, .22lr ammunition is very dirty. I wouldn’t want to shoot it through my Uppers.

Check out the provided link for the dedicated .22lr. Upper. It's a good price.

Chris Brines
09-18-2012, 16:08
PSA has a dedicated upper on sale today...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/conversion-kits/uppers/ati-complete-upper-22lr-for-ar-15-16-125-w-28rd-mag-atim42228.html?utm_source=CCI+Mini+Mag+.22+Upper&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Man that is tempting...it's just "a litttttttlllle" out of my price range...but man...that is tempting lol...I bet if worse came to worse, and I just HAD TO get the $$$ back, I'd have no problem selling it back for that price...

Yep...I think I'm gonna jump on that....it's $100 more than the kit I was looking at...for a complete dedicated upper...and the awesome part is the scope mount I have is so easily snapped off my current upper and onto that one, it would be no problem to switch back and forth.

faawrenchbndr
09-18-2012, 16:56
No problems with the conversion kits.
Remove the kit at around 200 rounds of 22lr ammo fired &
shoot a few .223/5.56 rounds to clear the gas tube. Clean the
barrel & chamber Very well following removal of the kit.
I would suggest the stainless kit over the parkerized one.
The parked kit will work, just needs some break in time.

Use good .22lr ammo, the cheapest crap yeilds the worst results.
Mine liked Winchester high velocity ammo. Very well priced.

Airhasz
09-18-2012, 17:14
[QUOTE=Chris Brines;19433149

Yep...I think I'm gonna jump on that....it's $100 more than the kit I was looking at...for a complete dedicated upper...and the awesome part is the scope mount I have is so easily snapped off my current upper and onto that one, it would be no problem to switch back and forth.[/QUOTE]

You will soon be looking to spend another $200 or so for a lower to mount that 22LR upper on and then another optic...lol. They have a way of turning into another $600 rifle...:rofl:

wdp
09-18-2012, 17:25
I have a CMMG black parkerized unit and never had any trouble with nearly 1000 rounds. They do not recommend Remington ammo and do suggest hi vel ammo. CCI works just fine for me. One thing to note is the point of impact of .22's is very much different from. 223/5.56. I need to adjust and record my scope settings when switching back and forth.

faawrenchbndr
09-18-2012, 17:37
Expect a 4-5" grouping at 25m with a kit, half that or slightly
better with a dedicated .22lr upper.

wdp
09-18-2012, 18:26
Expect a 4-5" grouping at 25m with a kit, half that or slightly
better with a dedicated .22lr upper.

I've found that the CCI upper range stuff like Velocitor groups much better than 4-5" but you're right the conversion kits puke on some ammo.

cyphertext
09-18-2012, 18:41
They have a way of turning into another $600 rifle...:rofl:

This man speaks the truth. I bought mine as a complete rifle with the intention of just purchasing a 5.56 upper down the road. Ended up purchasing another complete rifle in 5.56, and still looking at other uppers....

Chris Brines
09-18-2012, 19:08
This man speaks the truth. I bought mine as a complete rifle with the intention of just purchasing a 5.56 upper down the road. Ended up purchasing another complete rifle in 5.56, and still looking at other uppers....

Yeah, I already thought about the optics situation. Honestly I'll probably end up using this 22 upper MUCH more often than the 5.56.

faawrenchbndr
09-19-2012, 02:22
I've found that the CCI upper range stuff like Velocitor groups much better than 4-5" but you're right the conversion kits puke on some ammo.

Very true. I was talking more of the functional, lower cost, ammo.

thisaway
09-19-2012, 10:13
I have a Spike's Tactical nickel-plated kit that I use exclusively in an M16A1 milsurp upper. The 1-in-12" twist barrel of the A1 shoots .22LR very well. Its favorite ammo is the Federal "Auto Match" stuff from WalMart.