G29 shoots high [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 shoots high

rchunter
09-18-2012, 19:49
I bought a brand new g29, and it shoots 3" high at 15 yards, and 1.5" right.

I can fix the right part without changing the sight, but I would like the gun to shoot to POA.

I have a g20 that will shoot a ragged hole at 25 yards to Point of Aim, and I was expecting the same from a g29. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've ordered a 6.1mm rear sight which should fix this problem, but why should I have to do this? The 29 shoots a 2" group at 15 yards, which is not as good as I can shoot the 20, but oh well.

I've thought about sending the gun back to Glock to get it sighted in as it is a pain to move the rear sights without a tool, anyway.

nickE10mm
09-19-2012, 11:33
I bought a brand new g29, and it shoots 3" high at 15 yards, and 1.5" right.

I can fix the right part without changing the sight, but I would like the gun to shoot to POA.

I have a g20 that will shoot a ragged hole at 25 yards to Point of Aim, and I was expecting the same from a g29. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've ordered a 6.1mm rear sight which should fix this problem, but why should I have to do this? The 29 shoots a 2" group at 15 yards, which is not as good as I can shoot the 20, but oh well.

I've thought about sending the gun back to Glock to get it sighted in as it is a pain to move the rear sights without a tool, anyway.

I know you can shoot to POA with your G20 but I'd still let someone else shoot your G29 to test the POI... The reason I say this is because, with my G29 only (for some reason), if I make a mistake and don't keep my head down and sights aligned, it shoots a bit high, too. When I bench it and concentrate (to verify), its dead nuts on the money.

Just a thought. Might be an ergo issue

Gallium
09-19-2012, 14:02
I can routinely & and consistently shoot1" groups on 3" post it note target from 15 yards with any Glock. even so I always bench rest
my new guns to ascertain how they shoot.

4949shooter
09-19-2012, 16:44
Howdy Drew. :wavey:

rchunter
09-19-2012, 21:05
I shot the g29 from a sandbag rest. Got the same results but slightly smaller group. I'm thinking about sending it back to glock.

4949shooter
09-20-2012, 06:48
Yeah I agree, send it back to Glock if you can part with it for a while. These guns should be sighted in properly from the factory. Who knows? Maybe they will throw some steel sights on it for your troubles.

lethal tupperwa
09-20-2012, 09:08
how were You using the sights?

Was the top of the front sight Level with the top of the rear sight?

rchunter
09-20-2012, 09:59
I shot it with the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, just like all of my other glocks that shoot perfect.

I just sent it back to glock. I got to thinking I bought this gun to shoot and carry, not tinker with. They manufactured it and they can fix it. I think the barrel opening in the slide is oval shaped, and too big. This allows the barrel to move upwards during recoil before unlocking, and it allows too much movement otherwise which I think is causing the larger groups. I think I got a lemon. If they don't fix it, I'll sell it and buy another.

Gallium
09-20-2012, 10:03
I shot it with the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, just like all of my other glocks that shoot perfect.

I just sent it back to glock. I got to thinking I bought this gun to shoot and carry, not tinker with. They manufactured it and they can fix it. I think the barrel opening in the slide is oval shaped, and too big. This allows the barrel to move upwards during recoil before unlocking, and it allows too much movement otherwise which I think is causing the larger groups. I think I got a lemon. If they don't fix it, I'll sell it and buy another.

Hopefully you gave a detailed report of what was wrong. The oval shape you describe should affect more the precision compared to it's point-ability. You did say it was making fairly good groups, except those groups were off by some degree...

PocketProtector
09-20-2012, 10:06
I shoot ALL Glocks 2-3" high, albeit in one-hole if I want to.

Been shooting for 38 years and accuracy is never an issue, so I work on front sight and speed more than anything.
As soon as front sight is on target, a round is on it's way.....don't think I even notice the rear sight anymore.