If you could live anywhere in the US? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If you could live anywhere in the US?

alexcc
09-19-2012, 11:08
Hi all! I know there are a few of these threads but I have some specific criteria:

Let's say that you were a young, 20-something guy with the opportunity to immigrate to and work in the US. You're a software engineer looking to work in the tech industry. You love the obvious stuff like good weather, good food, oceans and mountains, but you also love the outdoors and guns/shooting.

Where would you choose to live and why?

I'm asking because this (my other option could be to move to Canada) may become a reality for me in a few months, so please try keep it impartial and don't just suggest the area you live (unless of course you think it would be a great fit). I've visited the US before and seen NYC, Denver and Vegas.

I couldn't live in Vegas. Denver was OK - I thought Denver was a bit ugly and boring but the surrounding areas were beautiful, especially when you got deep into the rockies. I loved NYC because of the atmosphere and it would be great to meet people and keep busy, but it's obviously a terrible place if you enjoy the outdoors and/or shooting. I might like it for a while but feel I would probably want out after a year or so.

I haven't been to the West Coast at all, and from doing some internet research it seems like it might be the best fit. Seattle gets a tick for just about everything except good weather - I've heard summer is great but only lasts for 3 months and then it rains non-stop. But with companies like Microsoft and Amazon it could offer the best job opportunities. San Diego/San Francisco also sound great, but don't get the nod regarding shooting, although both would be better than somewhere like NYC. Both would be more expensive than Seattle though.

slick64
09-19-2012, 11:12
I've lived on both coasts, grew up in northern NJ, but settled in TX. It really depends on what you're interests are. If you're a SW techie....I'd feel safe suggesting Austin, TX.

Glock20 10mm
09-19-2012, 11:14
Wyoming... It's beautiful there, not many people and it's a free state.

FLIPPER 348
09-19-2012, 11:17
In order of preference:

Maui
Hood River OR
Bend OR
Jacksonville OR
Port Townsend WA

alexcc
09-19-2012, 11:20
I've lived on both coasts, grew up in northern NJ, but settled in TX. It really depends on what you're interests are. If you're a SW techie....I'd feel safe suggesting Austin, TX.

I've heard nothing but praise for Austin from many different sources. The lack of ocean is a bit of a bummer, but at least it isn't too far from it. Ticks just about everything else though... Thanks!

I agree that it's beautiful, but job prospects for a fresh software grad? I'm also young and so a bit city atmosphere appeals to me at this stage of my life.

alexcc
09-19-2012, 11:22
In order of preference:

Maui
Hood River OR
Bend OR
Jacksonville OR
Port Townsend WA

Thanks. Generally, how much better is the weather in somewhere like Portland, OR than Seattle?

wjv
09-19-2012, 11:24
Seattle has some of the worst traffic I've see outside of India and China. .

Goldendog Redux
09-19-2012, 11:25
San Diego is an awesome city. It has it's problems, but what city doesn't? The weather is a good as it get anywhere.

Naturally if guns/+10 rounds magazines/CCW are of the utmost importance then California cities are probably not on the list.

In general, I would not live east of the Continental Divide.

MF

slick64
09-19-2012, 11:26
Portland and Seattle are great cities, but you'll also have a higher cost of living and more than enough liberals. Not that Austin doesn't these days, but for a young guy, its a much better selection.

glock_19guy1983
09-19-2012, 11:28
I worked out in western montana for a while. I love it there and If I didnt have a wife and parents here, I would move out there.

FLIPPER 348
09-19-2012, 11:32
The weather sucks in both PDX and SEA, 8 months or grey light rain.

Bilbo Bagins
09-19-2012, 11:32
I loved NYC because of the atmosphere and it would be great to meet people and keep busy, but it's obviously a terrible place if you enjoy the outdoors and/or shooting. I might like it for a while but feel I would probably want out after a year or so.

Best of both world would be northeastern PA. Cheap property in a woodland setting. You got deer hunting, fishing, shooting and such and its only a 1 to 2 hour drive to NYC.

Because New Jersey sucks so bad a lot of people are willing to work in NYC and live in PA.

Other than that If you are OK with the cold New Hampshire is real gun friendly with lots of wilderness. There is also Florida and Texas.

slick64
09-19-2012, 11:36
I think people are missing the requirements, especially around the software tech possibilities.

Glock45Lover
09-19-2012, 11:41
I retire for good when I hit 60, 2 years from now. We will be moving to the Paradise Valley, Montana area. We visited the area when we were in the Air Force.

Beautiful, relatively quiet place.

kensb2
09-19-2012, 11:43
I will +1 New Hampshire! I grew up there. You could commute to Boston, MA (area) IF you couldn't find a tech job in-state. Not far from mountains, the ocean, Vermont/upstate NY. The Lakes region of NH is a very nice area (Lake Winnipesaukee) as well. Good luck with your near future, I'm assuming you plan to become a citizen?

Gallium
09-19-2012, 11:43
Alex,

It is a big country. There are crapholes abundant in every state (including Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Wisconsin, etc etc, and there are truly spectacular spots in every state (maybe except NJ :tbo:)

:rofl: Kidding about NJ. Here is a factoid....it is the only state in the nation where every county in the state is classified as "urban". Are there rural areas in NJ? Yes, but the population density is such that the average distribution of homo sapiens classify those counties as urban.

It depends on what you want to do, how much disposable income you have, are you furthering your education, climate you prefer to live in, who you'd like you neighbors and extended neighbors to be, how close do you want to be to the ocean, and or desert, and or mountains, and or the mosquito belt, or the snow belt, or in pine tree country, or on flatlands or surrounded by lots of lakes (or lots of jackholes)...if you need a 7/11 a dry cleaners and a pizzeria 5 min walk from you....if you hate driving, or love driving...etc etc.

alexcc
09-19-2012, 12:03
Thanks for all the replies so far people. I've had a look at a few places mentioned so far, but still can't get Seattle out of my head for some reason.

I'm enjoying all the positive & negative points though, please keep them coming :cool:

Inyo Tim
09-19-2012, 12:05
"Where would you choose to live and why?"
Mt. Vernon, Oregon

mixflip
09-19-2012, 12:11
Northern California has all the things I love minus the gun laws and liberals infecting the place. But the pacific ocean, the rivers, the hills, the forests and the sierra mountains coupled with the entertainment of Tahoe and the bay area is hard to beat when on the west coast.

If I could reboot and start over... I might consider Oregon? I really fell in love with Oregon when I went on a road trip years ago.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/IM000838.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/IM000802.jpg

tglahn17
09-19-2012, 12:37
I've had a look at a few places mentioned so far, but still can't get Seattle out of my head for some reason.

No reason to get Seattle out of your head. Just go. I used to live in Seattle. The summers are spectacular. It does rain a bit the rest of the year, but after a few months, you hardly notice it. It's the best place I've ever lived, and I've lived all over the US. Good luck,

Jack23
09-19-2012, 13:12
Except for my time in the military I have never lived any where but Harris County Texas. I have traveled nearly half of the free world and pretty much across the length and breadth of the continental United States. I understand how lucky I am to have been born when and where I was because I have seen with my own eyes how a large part of the world is forced to live.

I would not even consider for one moment moving out of Texas. No matter your taste in living environments or situations. What ever you like we have it in Texas. Big cities. Small towns. Piney woods. Dry deserts. Hill country. Snow country. Coastal areas. Inland lakes; natural or man made. And some of the warmest, friendliest and most hospitable people on Earth. I te'ya Texas has it all.

CAcop
09-19-2012, 13:17
Hi all! I know there are a few of these threads but I have some specific criteria:

Let's say that you were a young, 20-something guy with the opportunity to immigrate to and work in the US. You're a software engineer looking to work in the tech industry.The Silicon Valley in CA is THE place to go for the tech industry. It is mostly in the San Jose-Milpitas-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara cities. Portland, Seattle, and San Diego all have pockets of tech. You love the obvious stuff like good weatherCalifornia is pretty much it in terms of good weather year round. Near the coast is pretty stable year round. If you go into the Central Valley it will get hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. You can also find some tech in the Central Valley too. Mostly in or around Sacramento. The other Central Valley towns can be crime ridden, overgrown cow towns with nothing to offer. Trust me I grew up in Stockton. The Sierras are pretty nice to live in but there will be snow in the winter so be prepared for that. Also there is not much tech unless you want to try Reno/Sparks/Carson City. It will be hotter and you will not be in the mountains but a 30 minute drive away from the height of the Sierras. Oregon and Washington are good states but they will be rainy/snowy or much of the year. There will be sun if you go east but there is not much there in terms of tech., good food,There is plenty of good food in CA, OR, and WA. I have heard the Midwest and Great Plains states suck for food. Very bland. The East Coast is pretty good too. oceans and mountainsCA, OR, and WA specialize in ocean and mountains. If you were to live in Sacramento you could get to the ocean within a 2 hour drive even with traffic. Without traffic, depending on where you go it could be just over an hour. If you want to got to Monterey, Santa Cruz, or Carmel it might take 3 hours but it will be a completely different experience than Sacramento. The Sierras are much closer to Sacramento than the ocean. I have a cousin who lives in Sacramento and can be at his favorite ski resort witin an hour and a half., but you also love the outdoors and guns/shooting. CA sucks in this regard compared to some states but it is better than others. Calguns.net will give you a place to start in terms of our gun laws. As long as you heart is not set on having a legit AR-15 or similar weapon you can find more than enough stuff to shoot. There are plenty of ranges and varying types of ranges in CA. There is even BLM land within a few hours drive of the SF area where you can shoot anything you want however you want.

I'm asking because this (my other option could be to move to Canada) may become a reality for me in a few months, so please try keep it impartial and don't just suggest the area you live (unless of course you think it would be a great fit). I've visited the US before and seen NYC, Denver and Vegas.

I couldn't live in Vegas. Denver was OK - I thought Denver was a bit ugly and boring but the surrounding areas were beautiful, especially when you got deep into the rockies. I loved NYC because of the atmosphere and it would be great to meet people and keep busy, but it's obviously a terrible place if you enjoy the outdoors and/or shooting. I might like it for a while but feel I would probably want out after a year or so.

I haven't been to the West Coast at all, and from doing some internet research it seems like it might be the best fit. Seattle gets a tick for just about everything except good weather - I've heard summer is great but only lasts for 3 months and then it rains non-stop. But with companies like Microsoft and Amazon it could offer the best job opportunities. San Diego/San Francisco also sound great, but don't get the nod regarding shooting, although both would be better than somewhere like NYC. Both would be more expensive than Seattle thoughKeep in mind even though CA can be expensive techies tend to get paid a lot to live here..

A lot of the responses you get will focus on the regions people have lived or spent a lot of time in. Most of mine has been in CA with a significant amount in and around Portland, OR.

The US is such a vast country very few people have lived in all of the areas for long periods of time.

I would recommend move to an area where you think you might best fit in and then explore from there.

For example if you decided to move to Sacramento, CA you could easily check out everything from Menterey to Santa Rosa from Reno, NV to SF with a series of weekend trips. Longer vacations could get you to L.A. and San Diego or even Portland and Seattle. Within a few years you could check out most of CA and NV with little effort. Or at the very least narrow your focus to certain areas.

GVFlyer
09-19-2012, 13:21
Considering your profession, the Bay Area - Silicon Valley, CA. - should be first choice. Apple, HP, Google, Facebook, et al. are there. You're on the ocean, the Sierra Nevadas are 2 hours away with Wine Country in between. What's not to like?

If it matters to you, San Francisco is the most European of American cities.

Good luck.

RDW
09-19-2012, 13:23
Jupiter Island -Florida!

Paul7
09-19-2012, 13:24
Albuquerque. Intel, Sandia Labs and Los Alamos would be good job leads for you. Good weather, moderate cost of living, and great gun laws.

GVFlyer
09-19-2012, 13:33
Albuquerque, Intel, Sandia Labs and Los Alamos would be good job leads for you. Good weather, moderate cost of living, and great gun laws.

Long way to the beach. ;)

Nice thing about Albuquerque is that it's elevation is high enough that it doesn't get dreadfully hot in Summer. From a climate standpoint, I think it compares favorably with Johannesburg, South Africa which is also around 1,750 meters elevation.

sciolist
09-19-2012, 13:41
Thanks. Generally, how much better is the weather in somewhere like Portland, OR than Seattle?

Portland is significantly better than Seattle, but they both pale in comparison to the east side of the hill.

Slug71
09-19-2012, 13:45
Northern California has all the things I love minus the gun laws and liberals infecting the place. But the pacific ocean, the rivers, the hills, the forests and the sierra mountains coupled with the entertainment of Tahoe and the bay area is hard to beat when on the west coast.

If I could reboot and start over... I might consider Oregon? I really fell in love with Oregon when I went on a road trip years ago.

Where in Oregon is this? Bout the nicest i have seen Oregon has to offer.

SC Tiger
09-19-2012, 13:48

Let's say that you were a young, 20-something guy with the opportunity to immigrate to and work in the US. You're a software engineer looking to work in the tech industry. You love the obvious stuff like good weather, good food, oceans and mountains, but you also love the outdoors and guns/shooting.

I haven't been to the West Coast at all, and from doing some internet research it seems like it might be the best fit. Seattle gets a tick for just about everything except good weather - I've heard summer is great but only lasts for 3 months and then it rains non-stop. But with companies like Microsoft and Amazon it could offer the best job opportunities. San Diego/San Francisco also sound great, but don't get the nod regarding shooting, although both would be better than somewhere like NYC. Both would be more expensive than Seattle though.

Take a look at South Carolina. Weather is great (but can get a little hot), food is great and SC is a fairly free state firearms-wise.

Amazon is building a new facility near Columbia an another one near Greenville I believe. Those are too far to live in Charleston but you would only be a few hours drive from Charleston or the mountains in the upstate.

FLIPPER 348
09-19-2012, 13:53

There are many (many) other beautiful spots.

tglahn17
09-19-2012, 14:02

That looks like Multnomah Falls and Crown Point.

mixflip
09-19-2012, 15:42

The pics are from Columbia river gorge which is only about 10 or 15 minutes drive east of Portland. The first pic is of Multnoma falls.

I spent many a summer at my uncles place in the suburbs of Portland (West Linn) fishing every day on the Clackamas river.

I'd love to live in southern Oregon near the coast also. Anywhere near the Rouge river would be heaven since it has ocean, beaches, rivers, forests and snow in the mountains. Its quite the combo.

wjv
09-19-2012, 15:53
The weather sucks in both PDX and SEA, 8 months or grey light rain.

And we love it that way. .

Bushflyr
09-19-2012, 15:55
Seattle area or Portland area. They can be pretty gray in the winter, but everything else about either place ticks all your boxes. And summer is unbeatable. Even winter isn't all that bad, Just start kayaking (both places have world class white water) and you'll positively jump for joy when the winter rains come. :supergrin:

And you can shoot till your ears bleed. I typically shot 2 nights a week (steel match and IPSC practice) and an IPSC match or rifle range on the weekend when I lived there.

MikeZ1967
09-19-2012, 19:42
Seattle would be my first choice and Portland Oregon would be second. You've got plenty of Tech for a job and beautiful outdoors (both water and woods).

Bow Commander
09-19-2012, 20:23
There are many (many) other beautiful spots.

+1

I have been to many states, but the place I would choose to live is found in my state. Bend, Oregon. I vacation there often,
I'm determined to either live there or at least have a second home. A few pictures I just took last weekend...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/cameronjaywiley/E9E20504-4103-4DDA-A9A6-CE9875F46856-185-0000001B3B236880.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/cameronjaywiley/8010C85D-8FE2-481B-8E59-DD623C48A7BC-185-0000001B74117237.jpg

Happypuppy
09-19-2012, 21:12
San Diego has the best climate. But it's very expensive and urban these days

The PNW. Ocean, mountains 4 seasons and nice people that live happily with all sorts of wildlife

Sent via Mental Power

Altaris
09-19-2012, 21:25
As someone in the Austin area and in the tech industry, I would have to vote for here.
We have offices for Dell, HP, Apple, Samsung, IBM, AMD, etc...

If you can take the 100 degree summers and aren't allergic to cedar then you should like it here.

I also run into people from Cali at bars and parties on an almost weekly basis. That kinda tells me which state they would rather be in.

Goldendog Redux
09-20-2012, 01:00
As someone in the Austin area and in the tech industry, I would have to vote for here.
We have offices for Dell, HP, Apple, Samsung, IBM, AMD, etc...

If you can take the 100 degree summers and aren't allergic to cedar then you should like it here.

I also run into people from Cali at bars and parties on an almost weekly basis. That kinda tells me which state they would rather be in.

It has been years since I have been in Austin but I expect "Keep Austin Weird" has something to do with California people visiting.

razageorge
09-20-2012, 03:23
Young dude with no commitments!? Southern Cal.

Great food, climate and tons of stuff to do. Party like a rock star.

Once you get tired of that then you can move somewhere else and complain about how So Cal sucks, like most of GT.

But being young, dumb and full of ***, you want to enjoy your younger years just having a good time. Wait till you get older to become a grouch who complains about California while living in another State. Why do people do that anyway?

Frisco is not bad but expensive. San Diego has awesome weather but doesn't have that So Cal vibe.

Seattle is great also, lived near there for a few years but you will be in a rain jacket it seems for the most of the year. If you just want to do outdoor stuff then its awesome.

So Cal is like being in a brightly lit room while Seattle feels like being in a room with just the one bulb hanging from the ceiling.

I would spend a few days in each city just to get a feel for them.

alexcc
09-20-2012, 03:53
Young dude with no commitments!? Southern Cal.

Great food, climate and tons of stuff to do. Party like a rock star.

Once you get tired of that then you can move somewhere else and complain about how So Cal sucks, like most of GT.

But being young, dumb and full of ***, you want to enjoy your younger years just having a good time. Wait till you get older to become a grouch who complains about California while living in another State. Why do people do that anyway?

Frisco is not bad but expensive. San Diego has awesome weather but doesn't have that So Cal vibe.

Seattle is great also, lived near there for a few years but you will be in a rain jacket it seems for the most of the year. If you just want to do outdoor stuff then its awesome.

So Cal is like being in a brightly lit room while Seattle feels like being in a room with just the one bulb hanging from the ceiling.

I would spend a few days in each city just to get a feel for them.

Getting a job will obviously be a big deciding factor, so I don't necessarily need to decide on ONE place. I will probably choose 2 or 3 of the top choices, apply for jobs in those places and see what feedback I get.

So far it's probably Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego. I love the sound and look of Oregon, I'm just a bit worried that I may find even Portland a bit "small" for someone my age.

slick64
09-20-2012, 05:49
Getting a job will obviously be a big deciding factor, so I don't necessarily need to decide on ONE place. I will probably choose 2 or 3 of the top choices, apply for jobs in those places and see what feedback I get.

So far it's probably Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego. I love the sound and look of Oregon, I'm just a bit worried that I may find even Portland a bit "small" for someone my age.

If you're going to be in working in San Fran or Silicon Valley nearby, expect not to enjoy CA all that much, as you'll be averaging 70-80hrs a week minimum.

Bren
09-20-2012, 06:06

If you like guns and shooting, Canada is out. Their best laws are about on par with our worst. West coast is also a major problem. The only gun friendly states near the ocean are going to be on the east and gulf coasts, south of Virginia and the Carolinas are kind of questionable. However, North Carolina may be the best compromise of mountains, ocean and guns (if pretty liberal by southern standards).

hamster
09-20-2012, 07:01
http://www.storagelocations.com/cityimages/cleveland.jpg

Cleveland BABY!!!

tglahn17
09-20-2012, 07:09

Cleveland BABY!!!

I live in Cleveland right now. It's really not the worst place I've ever lived.

SCmasterblaster
09-20-2012, 07:11
in historic Vermont. No CCW licenses needed to CCW. A free state.

Altaris
09-20-2012, 08:28

Cleveland BABY!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Altaris
09-20-2012, 08:30
It has been years since I have been in Austin but I expect "Keep Austin Weird" has something to do with California people visiting.

The people I run into aren't visiting, they all grew up in Cali and live here here now. And yeah, the majority of them fit the 'weird' vibe.

CAcop
09-20-2012, 08:33
I live in Cleveland right now. It's really not the worst place I've ever lived.

That's a ringing endorsement.

RenoF250
09-20-2012, 08:42
I can't handle the hippy liberal vibe that is throughout Portland and Seattle. I don't see the draw to Austin at all. CA has its share of liberals but I don't really run into them other than to see their Priuses driving around. In Portland and Seattle I had people nose into my conversations.

I think you should look at Micron in Idaho, areas around Denver, and areas around SF. I suspect you can telecommute and only actually go in a few times a month. If so you should be able to find nice places in all 3 areas. I would lean towards Denver area.

CAcop
09-20-2012, 09:39
If you're going to be in working in San Fran or Silicon Valley nearby, expect not to enjoy CA all that much, as you'll be averaging 70-80hrs a week minimum.

That is kind of the industry standard. Of course that is a lot of techies talking up their job. I know guys who have slow periods for a few months a year that spend maybe 4 hours a day at work. They also reward you handsomely. Not just money but benefits too. If you work at Google you will never pay for food again.

TheNinja
09-20-2012, 09:42
Literally, ANYWHERE IN THE U.S. but Commiefornia, where I am at right now. Hell, I'd move to the central valley if I could find applicable work there.

I do like Texas, though. Austin, as liberal as it is, would be okay with me (family is there as well).

Lazy R
09-20-2012, 10:00
It's cold for too long, then smoky when all the forests burn in the late summer, but either way I'll be here in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana until they spread my ashes.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/DSCN3915.jpg

Paul7
09-20-2012, 10:22
San Diego has the best climate. But it's very expensive and urban these days

The PNW. Ocean, mountains 4 seasons and nice people that live happily with all sorts of wildlife

Sent via Mental Power

Also has top ten worst traffic, and bad gun laws.

G29Reload
09-20-2012, 11:34
houston, denver, austin, knoxville, nashville, tampa.

heart of hearts? Kalispell, MT. maybe WY.

Angry Fist
09-20-2012, 11:41
Siesta Key.

http://www.sunnysideproperties.com/images/General/SiestaKeyAerialView.jpg

alexcc
09-20-2012, 13:29
Thanks for the replies so far people. I was chatting to a few people about places in Florida, but almost all of the Americans I know say that most of America's white trash and old people live in Florida :rofl:

Hopefully I will be able to afford to (time-wise and financially) visit a few of the places mentioned so far. I have been leaning towards either San Diego because I have family their or Seattle because it seems great for everything except weather. It's also a relatively short drive from Vancouver and Whistler, which both look really cool.

Copzilla55
09-20-2012, 20:35
Lincoln City, Oregon OR Hood River, Oregon. Just beautiful little towns and awesome weather.

Restless28
09-20-2012, 20:38
Gulf Shores Alabama. I will soon.

geminicricket
09-20-2012, 20:48
You described your skills, career, and interests, and I thought "Washington State".

theSteve
09-20-2012, 20:50
Northern California, Galveston Texas, Maine, northern NJ, NYC, Wyoming or Oregon. Those are my ideal places if I were in your position.

Wyoming
09-20-2012, 21:13

Moved here over 30 years ago from Ohio.

I live where I want to be. Wyoming is not for everyone.

You only get one life and it is too short to live where you are not happy.

FLIPPER 348
09-20-2012, 21:27
Lincoln City, Oregon OR Hood River, Oregon. Just beautiful little towns and awesome weather.

45 mins west of Bend, a great fishing spot

FLIPPER 348
09-20-2012, 21:29

3 hours east of Bend, waiting for the evening hatch at an even better fishing spot. The non-rainy parts of Oregon (east of the Cascades) are beyond awesome.

Bilbo Bagins
09-21-2012, 08:23
Focusing back on having that tech job here is an article on the top 10 best US cities for tech jobs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2012/05/17/the-best-cities-for-tech-jobs/

Some are obvious and we already talked about, like Seattle-Tacoma and San Deigo, but other options are.

Salt Lake City UT - Great mountains and outdoors, and great gun laws.

DC/Northern VA - I don't know if it will be a good fit because most of the tech jobs are government/military jobs and you are a South African that just moved here. DC gun laws sucks, and Maryland is not good either, but Virgina is luke warm with their gun laws. However in terms of nightlife and nature Northern VA is a good combo. You got big cities, beaches and mountains all within a few hours drive.

Nashville TN - I was shocked with this pick, but Tenn is a beautiful state with good gun laws and rolling woods and mountains.

Jacksonville Fl - Personally I have a love hate thing with Jacksonville. No offense to anyone how lives there but it seems like a depressed city. Business seemed blah, no real nightlife, and some areas were real rough. Its kind of like Cleveland South. Compared to the rest of Florida its really out of place. However I use to hit St Augustine a lot when I was was younger. The oldest city in America, there are nice beaches and towns just south of Jacksonville. Again gun laws are great in Florida, and the beaches and nightlife is great. There are zero mountains in Florida, but a lot of nature.

Cochese
09-21-2012, 10:10
Denver Metro area has a lot of nice suburbs. If you are a new IT professional, there is work here as well.

Slug71
01-20-2013, 19:07
Surprised no one recommended Virginia to the OP. Has pretty much everything on his list.

Anyway, reason I bumped this thread was to see if/how the events in recent weeks have impacted GTer's thoughts on where they live now or would have liked to live?

Those that live in States where Republicans flip flopped/were on the fence with gun control, are you thinking about getting out? Where to?

Bruce M
01-20-2013, 20:15
I'd probably try to find the best job that I could and then look for the good stuff to do. There are few areas here in the US that I couldn't find something I like to do while not at work.

N4LP
01-20-2013, 20:48
Portland is significantly better than Seattle, but they both pale in comparison to the east side of the hill.

If you move to Portland thinking the weather is significantly better than Seattle, you're going to be disappointed. If you can't cope with gray days, avoid both cities like the plague.

July, August, and September can be pretty spectacular, but the rest of the year is pretty much 45 degrees, overcast, with misty rain.

You can compare the two cities weather in detail here.

Seattle (http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/clilcd.pl?wa24233)
Portland (http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/clilcd.pl?or24229)

GoBigOrange
01-20-2013, 20:54
East TN
Siesta Key FL
Western MT-loved the little town of Ennis
NW Wyoming
Western NC
NW AR

I haven't visited yet but based on the pictures I believe I would love OR, Washington State and Santa Fe NM.

I'd also love to visit parts of CO and UT.

okie
01-21-2013, 07:30
The politics suck ass, but San Francisco is a beautiful city:supergrin:

DanaT
01-21-2013, 09:56
In general, I would not live east of the Continental Divide.

MF

Good thing you dont have this house, huh? You couldn't go into half of it.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/boreas_zps4222e68a.jpg

I am not sure many people can tell the difference between the east side of the continental divide from the west if the sign didnt say which was which.

DanaT
01-21-2013, 09:57
Denver Metro area has a lot of nice suburbs. If you are a new IT professional, there is work here as well.

Shhh. Dont tell anyone.

DanaT
01-21-2013, 10:05
To the OP. I depends what you like.

Having never grown around the ocean, I find it acceptable and fun to visit. When I live near it for a few years, I wasnt really into the whole ocean thing. Sure, went to the beach occasionally, but meh.

I grew up around mountains. I like mountains. I want to live where there are mountains. The last almost 5 years now I have split living between CO and either Switzerland or Germany. When I was in Switzerland, I could very rarely look our my window, over lake geneva, and see Mt Blanc. BUT, the humidity is high and a clear day is maybe 30-40km visibility. And lots of gray days.

Same thing in germany. A lot of gray days (but in this area is a micro-climate and is about 50% sun). I havent seen a sunny in 3 weeks.

In CO, on a clear day (which occur a lot) you can see Pikes Peak from north of Boulder. I would say that is about 150km.

Much of it comes to what you like. I like wide open space, sunny skys, some winter, and mountains. But that is "home" to me. My goal is to in the near future buy a weekend house in the mountains and quit this living more in Europe than at home.

minnshooter
01-21-2013, 10:13
Western Montana

carbuncle
01-21-2013, 10:18

The Seattle area gets my vote for your requirements: great opportunities in your field and great options for the shooting sports. I'm a tech recruiter, BTW: shoot me a PM if you'd like to connect. I have several opportunities open in the Seattle area right now, depending on your specialization and experience.

jaws48
01-21-2013, 10:27
Lived in lots of places all over the country and world during my USAF career spanning 33 years and now I can live any place I choose. That said, I choose, right here in AZ.

It don't get much better than this. I've got excellent to decent flying and shooting weather year round and taxes aren't too bad compared to some other places.

Got to like it hot!

Santa CruZin
01-21-2013, 10:50
Beaver Creek, CO

Wyoming
01-21-2013, 12:05

Okie, I can't believe you said that!:wow:

Politic aren't the only thing that suck ass in San Francisco!:rofl:

dougader
01-21-2013, 12:09
I would like to summer in Wyoming or Alaska and winter in Arizona or New Mexico. But for very few of the reasons you are looking to move.

Screw Seattle and Portland. There are run by smiley-faced fascists; champions of idiocy, IMO.

DanaT
01-21-2013, 12:40
Beaver Creek, CO

Breckinridge is a very place. Not too far from the city. Wonderful views. Skiing. Biking. Hiking. Awesome 4th of July fireworks. Lots of festivals.

And only service industry jobs...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

BicycleDay43
01-21-2013, 12:46
Except for my time in the military I have never lived any where but Harris County Texas. I have traveled nearly half of the free world and pretty much across the length and breadth of the continental United States. I understand how lucky I am to have been born when and where I was because I have seen with my own eyes how a large part of the world is forced to live.

I would not even consider for one moment moving out of Texas. No matter your taste in living environments or situations. What ever you like we have it in Texas. Big cities. Small towns. Piney woods. Dry deserts. Hill country. Snow country. Coastal areas. Inland lakes; natural or man made. And some of the warmest, friendliest and most hospitable people on Earth. I te'ya Texas has it all.

I've never lived in Texas, but I've been through and visited several times. For the most part, you guys truly do have a standard of living unlike anywhere else. Whether you're rich or poor, the energy and attitude that you people display on a constant basis is outstanding to say the least.

That been said, I'm not trying to live there anytime soon. I'm trying to get up to the Pacific Northwest, to the tri-cities area of Washington state in particular. I figure being just a few hours from some of the most beautiful, majestic and probably somewhat evil forests in the U.S. will be the fuel for my inspiration in life.

Also, to the poster who wanted to come to New Mexico during the winter. Dunno about the rest of the state, but it gets pretty frigid here in Albuquerque during the winter.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM

CBennett
01-21-2013, 13:52
IF I could id move right back to Western NY where I grew up...love it there love EVERYTHING about it except liberals,taxes and crap 2nd Amendment respect...IF for instance NY was as decent as say Texas or even PA for gun rights id go back...but since its not I will say somewhere in the vicinity of Erie,Warren PA areas(Coudersport,Smethport,etc,etc)

G-19
01-21-2013, 14:20
I always thought Montana would be a great place to live. Only about 1 million people in the whole state, and they are gun friendly.

dango
01-21-2013, 14:31

Yosemite , yeap ! I climbed Half-Dome , El-Capitan , Eagles peak etc. ! If it weren't for the Liberal state of mind , I would've stayed there. Beautiful..! Also King's Canyon , Sequoya National forest , The worlds largest and oldest living things,(Gen. Sherman tree if I recall , approximately
4800 years old and still growing..!! :wow:

Pilotdude3407
01-21-2013, 14:44
I'm ok with my residence in GA...but if I could have a second house, it would be in or around Big Sky, MT. My wife and I love going out there!

dango
01-21-2013, 15:00
The "Moon" would be my place !

I could drive a golf ball 4000 YDS...!
I could bench press 1/2 ton...!
I could break the "Gin nus" spitting world record...!
I could carry my wife across the threshold once again..Shhh.!
I could target shoot my sissy 9mm. at 3000 YDS....!
And , I could play in the sand (DUST)...! :tongueout:

Kentucky Shooter
01-21-2013, 15:13
wyoming... It's beautiful there, not many people and it's a free state.

+1000

Kentucky Shooter
01-21-2013, 15:18

+1 beautiful and i personally love their climate there. But thats where it ends

jdeere_man
01-21-2013, 15:31
I can't believe anyone would recommend moving to California. If this was a gun-related thread you'd say run away as fast as you can.

Colorado is my favorite place in this country I've been. But I'm a lover of mountains and not so much of people.

PAGunner
01-21-2013, 15:39
I like Palm Beach County, great weather, great golf courses, beaches definitely stuff to do, no state income tax, good gun laws... Yes there are old people, crazies from 3rd world countries, traffic could be better, old people and shady people on general, but every place in this great nation has it's positives and negatives, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

If the northeast Kommie transplants ever over run the state and screw our laws and taxes up, I'll bail to TX, OK, WY, TN, KY, or ID.

jakebrake
01-21-2013, 15:59
Austin, Texas.....blues and bbq.

snewsoG22
01-21-2013, 17:16
I like my little spot in Nowhereville, Missouri, but if I was in your position I think Austin and Nashville would top my list.

AsSeenOnTV
01-21-2013, 17:26
I left St. Anthony, Idaho vicinity and moved up here for school, and will not move back. The cold isn't all that up here since coming from the back side of the Grand Teton Range. Alaska is me.
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/Planejain/Alaska%20too/home143-2.jpg

Haldor
01-21-2013, 17:35

Austin Texas is the first place I would look. No mountains, but within 200 miles of the ocean. Lots of software jobs. Great gun laws, good hunting and nice weather. No state income tax either. If I lost my job where I am now, I would be looking in Texas. Austin is the San Francisco of fly-over country.

http://www.austintexas.org/

http://www.austintexas.org/includes/content/images/headers/HomePageImages_kayaking_noarrows.jpg

http://www.austintexas.org/includes/content/images/headers/ACL.jpg

Big Dog Dad
01-21-2013, 17:41
I would like to summer in Wyoming or Alaska and winter in Arizona or New Mexico. But for very few of the reasons you are looking to move.

Screw Seattle and Portland. There are run by smiley-faced fascists; champions of idiocy, IMO.

I agree with dougader. Wyoming is probably the most beautiful part of this country. If only you could find a way to make it warmer in the winter. This old fart is having a hard time with cold temps anymore. Seattle and Portland have too many facist tree-huggers. That is something you won't find in Wyoming.

-=BDD=-

Lazy R
01-21-2013, 17:41
I grew up in Eastern WA. Moved to the Bitteroot Valley in Montana when I was 34. They'll bury me here.

Montana's great for views and outdoor sports, low crime, real people. Some parts colder than others. Not much money here, but many industries such as mine don't depend on the local economy.

I travel by motorcycle all over the northwest and from the east slope of the Cascades to the east side of the continental divide there are many great areas to live, if you can make a living. You need to be able to handle some cold weather for much of this area.

This is the view from my office.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/OfficeView.jpg

Just outside of town.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/DSCN3916.jpg

But after you live here for a while, you can't handle living where there are no mountains. You become dependent on them as a locating device without knowing it. Been around a lot of the country that's flat and I can't stand it. I remember going to the Texas Hill country and we drove around in it for 2 hours looking for the hills, finally figured out we were in them.

IronRonin
01-22-2013, 00:59
Vermont!