Refinishing a new Gun. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a new Gun.

glockin-45
09-19-2012, 17:38
I have a new SA TRP, and i really don't care for the finish. I've babied this gun. And no it does'nt have an idiot mark. Last time out at the range it got acouple of scratches on the slide, i don't even know how. I'm wishing i had got stainless now. Has any one refinished their 1911's. I'm not sure what i'm going to do. Leave it alone? Refinish with an other finish like NP3, Hard chrome, or send slide back to SA. I tried to add a new post in Gate Refinishing Forum, but i don't see anything being added. What say thee?

Jim Watson
09-19-2012, 17:54
I am not in support of refinishing a gun with normal wear.
As long as it isn't rusty and the sights aren't dinged, the rubs and scratches from handling and shooting are just part of the whole package.

glock2740
09-19-2012, 18:28
Go hardchrome or NP3+. I have guns in both and LOVE both finishes. :cool:

samuse
09-19-2012, 18:55
Armory Kote is a good finish. You use it, it shows a little wear.

FWIW, stainless shows scratches worse than anything.

plouffedaddy
09-19-2012, 19:06
I've had NP3'd guns and CPII'd guns----I see no difference in the finish and both are extremely durable.

CCR does the CPII; if you like the color go for it.

Big Bird
09-19-2012, 19:14
What I did with my favorite 1911? Shot it until the finish was worn off pretty good. Then sent it off for some custom work and Black T Finish. Wears great.

But just shoot the dang thing. The finish won't make it shoot one bit better.

You do a couple thousand holster presentations you are going to get wear regardless of the finish.

ProCarryNAustin
09-19-2012, 21:10
I have an STI Ranger II and the standard finish was beautiful, but not up to full time carry in central Texas. Sent it off to Severns Custom for the Hard Hat treatment and have been very happy. My schedule is crazy at times and with no access to something to wipe down my pistol every day, the factory finish was taking a beating. Hard Hat is more like the finish on my Glocks. I have had other coatings and this is the one I will be putting on all my hard use pistols from now on.

faawrenchbndr
09-20-2012, 02:11
My suggestion would be Melonite,.....

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/14f4d07c.jpg

Jim S.
09-22-2012, 13:01
My suggestion would be Melonite,.....

Yep.
I finished two of my Springer Mil-Specs in Isonite QPQ and they are just what I had hoped for.
Nice looking satin black, durable as anything out there, and even functional as it surface hardens the metal and makes it smooth in the contact areas.
Doesn't add any appreciable surface dimension either like some of the coatings do.
Google it and read on this finish. I think it is the perfect finish for carbon steel guns.

bac1023
09-22-2012, 19:00
You could always hard chrome it, I guess.

jakebrake
09-22-2012, 19:14
I am not in support of refinishing a gun with normal wear.
As long as it isn't rusty and the sights aren't dinged, the rubs and scratches from handling and shooting are just part of the whole package.

i'm gonna side here. the finish is minor. function is everything.

Jim S.
09-22-2012, 19:53
i'm gonna side here. the finish is minor. function is everything.

Yeah that is true but he did say he doesn't like the finish on his gun.
Most factory finishes are not all that great anyway so he can look into all of the other finishes that are available.
I like a well used gun but I did a carry melt on mine and had to refinish them.
I have an old Colt that I carried for 30+ years and contemplated refinishing it but it looks too cool to make it look new again.

Vanman2004b
09-22-2012, 19:58
Yeah that is true but he did say he doesn't like the finish on his gun.
Most factory finishes are not all that great anyway so he can look into all of the other finishes that are available.
I like a well used gun but I did a carry melt on mine and had to refinish them.
I have an old Colt that I carried for 30+ years and contemplated refinishing it but it looks too cool to make it look new again.

Can you post a picture of the carry melt?

Jim S.
09-22-2012, 20:46
I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this forum.
I even know how to program my VCR...
I don't think you would actually see the carry melt as it is really felt more than what is seen.

Vanman2004b
09-22-2012, 21:27
Thanks.

glockin-45
09-22-2012, 21:57
Thanks for your imput guy's. For now i'll just enjoy shooting it, as i don't see the point in spending money and have it look basicaly the same. Maybe in the future i'll hard chrome it? unless i like the old look better? I think i'd have rather the gun just had been blued.

R0CKETMAN
09-23-2012, 04:59
As bndr stated Melonite..this one's Hard Hat...now if you want shiny, HC as BAC suggested. Option C: AT

http://imageshack.us/a/img502/3026/002mfk.jpg

ashecht
09-23-2012, 08:26
I have had 2 of my glocks refinished in CPII and have been very pleased with it. For $70 you can't go wrong

ronin.45
09-23-2012, 13:00
Armory Kote does tend to wear excessively. I'd send it off for CPII.