NIB G38, WWB squib, LEO stop, in 1 day [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NIB G38, WWB squib, LEO stop, in 1 day

ADK_40GLKr
09-19-2012, 19:40
I'm going to be accused of "creative fiction writing" or worse, but this all happened within one 4 hour period - unbelieveable but I kid you not!

Called my LGS this afternoon, and they said my new G38 had come in, so I stopped at WalMart and they had 2 boxes of WWB .45GAP (not in the ammo case, but under the counter at the sporting goods desk.) I figured I was lucky to find them at about $34 a box.

Then stopped by the LGS, did the paperwork and picked up the gun.

Got to Gun CLub and I was showing a buddy the new Glock. We set up an old IDPA target. I fired 3 shots & he fired 4 and handed it back to me. I fired #8, the case caught me mid forehead, the magazine popped out of the gun and the slide locked up tight.

After 3 of us monkeyed with it a bit, I decided to to get back to my LGS before they closed at 8 PM. On the way, I was stopped by police. (Honestly, I never saw who it was because the lights were blinding.) First reached up to the visor for the case with my license copies, but when the LEO delayed, I dug my wallet out of my hip pocket, set it on the dash and put my hands back on the steering wheel in plain sight. He finally showed up, and asked where I'd been and where I was going.

I showed him the drivers and pistol licenses, said my brand new .45GAP had malfunctioned at the gun club and I was trying to get to (LGS) before they closed.

"OK, but do me a favor and slow it down." He said he'd clocked me at 71 in a 55 mile zone. I thanked him, proceded slowly, and still got to LGS on time.

The barrel was bulged enough to lock up the slide. You could see the barrel was dirty half way where the 2nd round had partially burned and then was clean in the front half. There were no bullets stuck in the barrel. I had all 8 ejected brass, and one was very sooty.

SQUIB! NOT a good afternoon! What a disappointment!

Going to call Glock when I get off work tomorrow and ask them for a postpaid shipping box, and will send the Glock, mags, spent brass and WWB lot # to Smyrna. Let them hash it out with Winchester!

RyanBDawg
09-19-2012, 19:44
I got a ticket doing 82 in a 70 while passing an 18 wheeler a few weeks ago. No warning.

I can't believe he let you go with just a warning!

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Shark1007
09-19-2012, 19:45
I had an issue with WWB hollow points being too tight in the chamber. Switched ammo brands and no problem. Mine was with a 39. I had to drive the casing out from the end.

dkf
09-19-2012, 19:45
What a crappy first outing with the new gun. Winchester QC strikes again. Hopefully it only takes a week or two to get the replacement 38 back.:wavey:

ADK_40GLKr
09-19-2012, 19:59
I can't believe he let you go with just a warning!

Assumed at the time it was NYS Police. I mentioned the caliber because that's what THEY carry, but it might have been local sheriff.

Blinded by the lights, I was speaking to a faceless voice, and was quite unnerved. I'd rehearsed the scenario with the license copies, but figured a straight answer was my best one.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing myself, but thanked him and drove away, s l o w l y.

Beanie-Bean
09-19-2012, 20:30
Sorry to hear about the WWB/ammo issue on the new G38. Happy to hear that you were able to save some money, largely in part to the LEO. You can use that to put toward a G39 to hold you until your G38 arrives back from Glock.

I haven't had any issues with Speer Lawman and Gold Dot, which is what I use to break in anything new. The LM runs about $20.99/box of 50 in these parts, and I think that the 200 gr. Gold Dots run about $30/box of 50.

I load my own ammo, and have had excellent results from Hornady 185 gr. XTP over Power Pistol for .45GAP.

Kingarthurhk
09-19-2012, 20:32
Assumed at the time it was NYS Police. I mentioned the caliber because that's what THEY carry, but it might have been local sheriff.

Blinded by the lights, I was speaking to a faceless voice, and was quite unnerved. I'd rehearsed the scenario with the license copies, but figured a straight answer was my best one.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing myself, but thanked him and drove away, s l o w l y.

Blinded by the Light ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lyrics - YouTube

AKR
09-19-2012, 20:38
ADK,

You can get .45 GAP Speer Lawman 200 gr at SGAmmo for 18.95 a box, less if you buy in quantity. I've been shooting Speer for years and never had a bad round.

The G38 is a great gun. If I could own only one gun, it would be the G38. It will be worth the wait.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/50-rd-box-45-gap-speer-lawman-200-grain-tmj-53980

ADK_40GLKr
09-19-2012, 20:45
ADK,

You can get .45 GAP Speer Lawman 200 gr at SGAmmo for 18.95 a box, less if you buy in quantity. I've been shooting Speer for years and never had a bad round.

The G38 is a great gun. If I could own only one gun, it would be the G38. It will be worth the wait.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/50-rd-box-45-gap-speer-lawman-200-grain-tmj-53980

Thanks! Sounds like a winner!

Of the thousands of rounds I've fired, my only squib has to be on a brand-new gun!

I guess I'm very lucky it wasn't worse, but the Glock did it's job and protected me!

SJ 40
09-19-2012, 20:49
Adk Glkr

Terrible news on the Glock but quite lucky with the stop.
I have sworn off of anything with the winchester name most especially ammunition,even rim fires. Their quality control has become non existent over the last ten years or so.
I won't even buy reloading components produced by them anymore, it's gotten that bad.
I'm sure that between Glock and them you will come out ok but you may find yourself shooting it come spring. Wishing you all the Luck SJ 40

Tiro Fijo
09-20-2012, 00:20
Uh, Glock can't help you here just yet, chief. It's an AMMO problem and you need to call Winchester. :wavey: You wouldn't call GM because you bought bad gas.

Glock40man
09-20-2012, 01:10
Sorry to hear about this. I'd be calling Winchester.

ADK_40GLKr
09-20-2012, 05:59
Uh, Glock can't help you here just yet, chief. It's an AMMO problem and you need to call Winchester. :wavey: You wouldn't call GM because you bought bad gas.

So you'd take your Chevy back to the 7-11 to fix the problem their gas caused?

I need a new Glock, not a new box of WWB!

eracer
09-20-2012, 06:05
"OK, but do me a favor and slow it down." He said he'd clocked me at 71 in a 55 mile zone. I thanked him, proceded slowly, and still got to LGS on time.Unpossible. GT has taught me that in order to arrive at my destination on time I need to drive fast in the left lane and honk my horn and flash my lights at anyone who is impeding my progress.:supergrin:

Glad you didn't suffer any injuries from the squib.

Thx-1138
09-20-2012, 10:15
The only problem I've ever had with my G39 was a WWB Round that wouldn't fully seat in the chamber.

I avoid Winchester ammo now.

ghostrider88
09-20-2012, 10:20
Man talk about "RAINING ON YOUR PARADE" that stinks

mo.glocker
09-20-2012, 10:38
I'm going to be accused of "creative fiction writing" or worse, but this all happened within one 4 hour period - unbelieveable but I kid you not!

Called my LGS this afternoon, and they said my new G38 had come in, so I stopped at WalMart and they had 2 boxes of WWB .45GAP (not in the ammo case, but under the counter at the sporting goods desk.) I figured I was lucky to find them at about $34 a box.

Got to Gun CLub and I was showing a buddy the new Glock. We set up an old IDPA target. I fired 3 shots & he fired 4 and handed it back to me. I fired #8, the case caught me mid forehead, the magazine popped out of the gun and the slide locked up tight.

After 3 of us monkeyed with it a bit, I decided to to get back to my LGS before they closed at 8 PM. On the way, I was stopped by police. (Honestly, I never saw who it was because the lights were blinding.) First reached up to the visor for the case with my license copies, but when the LEO delayed, I dug my wallet out of my hip pocket, set it on the dash and put my hands back on the steering wheel in plain sight. He finally showed up, and asked where I'd been and where I was going.

I showed him the drivers and pistol licenses, said my brand new .45GAP had malfunctioned at the gun club and I was trying to get to (LGS) before they closed.

"OK, but do me a favor and slow it down." He said he'd clocked me at 71 in a 55 mile zone. I thanked him, proceded slowly, and still got to LGS on time.

The barrel was bulged enough to lock up the slide. You could see the barrel was dirty half way where the 2nd round had partially burned and then was clean in the front half. There were no bullets stuck in the barrel. I had all 8 ejected brass, and one was very sooty.

Going to call Glock when I get off work tomorrow and ask them for a postpaid shipping box, and will send the Glock, mags, spent brass and WWB lot # to Smyrna. Let them hash it out with Winchester!
adk,you need to tell glock you shot only 7 times ,and you want a new g38,if they give you just a new barrel the sn wont match(since glock has to stamp serials all over the pistol)-jeff:faint:

Tiro Fijo
09-20-2012, 13:11
So you'd take your Chevy back to the 7-11 to fix the problem their gas caused?

I need a new Glock, not a new box of WWB!

The question is who is responsible & who is going to pay to fix the Glock. Chevy won't pay for the repair for bad gas. The gas co. will.

Bad ammo = Winchester's fault, i.e., their liability. Glock will want you to contact Win. first most likely.

Duh! :upeyes: :wavey:

spcwes
09-21-2012, 07:24

Glock will help him on this, please stop feeding him misinformation. Your logic is sound but Glock will want to have first hands on this issue, trust me... :shocked: ...im a professional. :supergrin:

Hognutz
09-21-2012, 08:15
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" :faint:

AgentM79
09-23-2012, 10:07
I'm new to .45GAP, and have been acquiring ammo. I shot two boxes of 200gr. Lawman TMJ, and a 20rounds of their corresponding 200gr. JHP though my G37. The angels sang. I have more Lawman on-deck, but also picked up 100 rounds of Winchester's 230gr "Win-Clean" ammo. Is there a known problem with Winchester ammo in .45GAP? The two boxes I got were old-stock. Any input would be welcome, as I have an exceptional PD-trade Gen3 G37 (it's nice when someone else breaks-in a gun for you without abusing it in the process), and have no desire to blow it up.

catalyst686
09-24-2012, 00:36
That sucks, imagine how much more it would have sucked if you got a ticket though! Glock or Winchester will take care of you for sure.

TxGlock9
09-24-2012, 01:28
Keep us updated on how it goes..

voyager4520
09-24-2012, 02:48
WWB ...SQUIB!
That's not surprising, in the past year I've seen threads about five 9mm Glocks that got bulged barrels from WWB squibs.

Glock will likely tell you to call Winchester first. They probably won't give you a prepaid shipping label but you may be able to get Winchester to reimburse you for shipping the pistol to Glock, eventually. Winchester will want the boxes of ammo with any remaining rounds.

SARDG
09-24-2012, 06:38
...Blinded by the lights, I was speaking to a faceless voice, and was quite unnerved...
That's by design and I assume reflected from your mirror(s). Just tilt them out or down next time - if there is a next time. If it's dark, turn on your cab light so the officer can see you.

jeremy1
09-24-2012, 11:01
There were problems with AE having squibs a few years ago as well. Not sure why this calibre and not others. My G37 had a replacement barrel when I bought it and my guess is that it was a bad round. I use speer lawman in this calibre and once my factory ammo is burnt up I will be reloading

ADK_40GLKr
09-24-2012, 13:49
That's by design and I assume reflected from your mirror(s). Just tilt them out or down next time - if there is a next time. If it's dark, turn on your cab light so the officer can see you.

HAH! It was plenty bright in there! I don't think my dome lights would have added much!

ADK_40GLKr
09-24-2012, 13:54
I'm new to .45GAP, and have been acquiring ammo. I shot two boxes of 200gr. Lawman TMJ, and a 20rounds of their corresponding 200gr. JHP though my G37. The angels sang. I have more Lawman on-deck, but also picked up 100 rounds of Winchester's 230gr "Win-Clean" ammo. Is there a known problem with Winchester ammo in .45GAP? The two boxes I got were old-stock. Any input would be welcome, as I have an exceptional PD-trade Gen3 G37 (it's nice when someone else breaks-in a gun for you without abusing it in the process), and have no desire to blow it up.

Just be hyper-vigilant for a little "pop" instead of a big "BANG!"

Failure to Cycle should also be a dead give-away.

M&P15T
09-24-2012, 13:56
We set up an old IDPA target. I fired 3 shots & he fired 4 and handed it back to me. I fired #8, the case caught me mid forehead, the magazine popped out of the gun and the slide locked up tight.

Are you saying that the previous bullet got lodged in the barrel, and then you pulled the trigger again?

Hell damn, you got lucky if all that happened was a bulged barrel.

DeLo
09-24-2012, 14:13
That's not surprising, in the past year I've seen threads about five 9mm Glocks that got bulged barrels from WWB squibs.

Glock will likely tell you to call Winchester first. They probably won't give you a prepaid shipping label but you may be able to get Winchester to reimburse you for shipping the pistol to Glock, eventually. Winchester will want the boxes of ammo with any remaining rounds.
THIS is totally correct.

ADK_40GLKr
09-24-2012, 16:05
Are you saying that the previous bullet got lodged in the barrel, and then you pulled the trigger again? .

No, I'm saying that after the FTE, i dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, reloaded ..... And THEN pulled the trigger again.

Yeah, yeah, I know......... :faint:

ADK_40GLKr
09-24-2012, 20:33
Mary, one of the owners at my LGS, spoke to Glock Warranty about what a faithful Glock supporter I am. The prepaid label arrived today, and my G38 is all boxed up ready to give to the FedEx guy when he comes to the Post Office tomorrow.

I wrote out a nice letter explaining the situation and put it into the Tupperware with the pistol and everything that came with it.

I'll keep y'all posted on how this works out.

Thanks for all the sympathy & suggestions.

This has been a learning experience for me.

hunter won
10-15-2012, 10:32
I was issued Glock pistols and talked to the Glock rep when he would make his rounds. He said the biggest problems with getting Glock to replace a gun is when it is ammo related. They always point fingers who's responsible. If you haven't received a new Glock yet something else is the reason.

hunter won
10-15-2012, 10:47

Going to call Glock when I get off work tomorrow and ask them for a postpaid shipping box, and will send the Glock, mags, spent brass and WWB lot # to Smyrna. Let them hash it out with Winchester! Doing 16 MPH over is usually a ticket!.... You said you handed copies ?... You need to produce originals... A copy is for your records that you keep home. Not sure why the LEO asked you where your coming from and going?...Surprised that you know that NYSP carry a G37 but neglect to know who stopped you?:wow:

Dragoon189
10-15-2012, 11:45
This brings up a post I read saying, "If you like your gun, don't shoot WWB."

Gallium
10-15-2012, 11:52
HAH! It was plenty bright in there! I don't think my dome lights would have added much!

Dome lights on are for LE to see you, and the interior of your vehicle.

Doing 16 MPH over is usually a ticket!.... You said you handed copies ?... You need to produce originals... A copy is for your records that you keep home. Not sure why the LEO asked you where your coming from and going?...Surprised that you know that NYSP carry a G37 but neglect to know who stopped you?:wow:

With the lights he would never have a chance to read a decal off the vehicle, and his odds of seeing it off the officer's sleeve is slim too.

MAC702
10-15-2012, 13:01
EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see page two which answered my question about how a squib bulged the barrel.

Winchester is your only chance at reimbursement, but you might have a hard time assigning them the full bill when you stopped shooting long enough to purposely load and shoot again, causing the damage. They may hold you to whatever warnings are on the box of ammo and in your firearm manual.

You will probably have to live, either way, with a different serial number on a new barrel.

Gallium
10-15-2012, 13:35
EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see page two which answered my question about how a squib bulged the barrel.

Winchester is your only chance at reimbursement, but you might have a hard time assigning them the full bill when you stopped shooting long enough to purposely load and shoot again, causing the damage. They may hold you to whatever warnings are on the box of ammo and in your firearm manual.

You will probably have to live, either way, with a different serial number on a new barrel.

As was said before, in instances where this has happened, Glock replaced the barrel.

A squib load is a squib load. If it had been a double charge in the round, the entire gun would have been destroyed. Chances are, at the very least one of those two manufacturers will replace his barrel.

Raleigh Glocker
10-15-2012, 14:22
I've never had any problems with Winchester RANGER ammo. All Winchester is not made the same.

The WWB 9mm I chrono'd two weeks ago was all over the map and had a 150fps spread in one magazine! Compare that to 10 out of 15 shots chrono'ing within 5fps for Ranger T-Series.

Slug71
10-15-2012, 14:23
I don't buy WWB anymore. Overpriced and under powered.

MikeG36
10-15-2012, 14:52
RG, have you chrono'd the Wally - Federal ammo by chance? Just wondering if you've noticed any difference.

Thanks,

Mike

MAC702
10-15-2012, 17:10
If that is Glock's reputation, that is, literally, outstanding.

As for WWB, I can tell you that it (.40) will not reliably cycle a Kahr CW40, whereas Federal's American Eagle, and all other tested brands work perfectly. You can feel the difference in recoil (less) when shooting WWB.

ADK_40GLKr
10-15-2012, 17:49
Update: My Glock is still "waitin' in line to be repaired" according to CS rep in Smyrna, and Winchester sent me a prepaid label to send the remainder of that lot of .45GAP that I still had.

By the time the officer got to me, I'd fished the originals out of my wallet, and had my hands on top of the steering wheel.

And I'm convinced there was enough light in my car that he could see ME plenty well. Reflected from 3 mirrors into my face as well as off the inside of my windshield. Like I said, the officer was a faceless voice.

Assuming he was NYSP because I've never been stopped by sheriff, I figured it could only help to mention the GAP. He did not even offer to look at my documents, (which really surprised me) but just reminded me to take it slow.

hunter won
10-15-2012, 18:36
Update: My Glock is still "waitin' in line to be repaired" according to CS rep in Smyrna, and Winchester sent me a prepaid label to send the remainder of that lot of .45GAP that I still had.

By the time the officer got to me, I'd fished the originals out of my wallet, and had my hands on top of the steering wheel.

And I'm convinced there was enough light in my car that he could see ME plenty well. Reflected from 3 mirrors into my face as well as off the inside of my windshield. Like I said, the officer was a faceless voice.

Assuming he was NYSP because I've never been stopped by sheriff, I figured it could only help to mention the GAP. He did not even offer to look at my documents, (which really surprised me) but just reminded me to take it slow. Surprised the officer didn't check your DL, NYSPIN is a useful tool. Doing 16 MPH over and cutting you loose without checking really does make the officer seem very complacent. Having a pistol license doesn't expedite the stop. Officer safety is very important.

Gallium
10-15-2012, 18:57
Update: My Glock is still "waitin' in line to be repaired" according to CS rep in Smyrna, and Winchester sent me a prepaid label to send the remainder of that lot of .45GAP that I still had....

I would ease off a bit on contacting Glock, maybe no contact for another 5-8 business days.

Surprised the officer didn't check your DL, NYSPIN is a useful tool. Doing 16 MPH over and cutting you loose without checking really does make the officer seem very complacent. Having a pistol license doesn't expedite the stop. Officer safety is very important.

Is it possible that he had a plate reader on his cruiser? If the name on the DL matches the registration the cop knows the operator of the vehicle is the registrant.

ADK_40GLKr
10-15-2012, 19:22
I would ease off a bit on contacting Glock, maybe no contact for another 5-8 business days.

Is it possible that he had a plate reader on his cruiser? If the name on the DL matches the registration the cop knows the operator of the vehicle is the registrant.

I checked with Glock twice over a two week period. I'll give 'em another couple weeks & check again, but I don't expect to have to.

Yes, the officer had plenty of time to run my plate #. At least enough for me to find my DL & CCW in my wallet, as well as the billfold on the visor with the Insurance card, registration and copies of the licenses.

While I try always to have the drivers license and pistol permit on my person, the insurance and registration only have to be in the car. The copies are on the visor ONLY for the purposes of informing the officer I'm armed and keeping my hands in full view until I can assure the him/her I'm reaching for my wallet on my hip, and NOT the weapon.

Gallium
10-15-2012, 19:43
I keep my ins and regs in my wallet (copies - originals are at home). Is someone steals my vehicle they are going to have a lot of fun offering those two critical pieces of info if they get pulled over.

Please do keep us posted with the results/resolution from Glock and Winchester.

Opie 1 Kenopie
10-15-2012, 20:40
I checked with Glock twice over a two week period. I'll give 'em another couple weeks & check again, but I don't expect to have to.

Yes, the officer had plenty of time to run my plate #. At least enough for me to find my DL & CCW in my wallet, as well as the billfold on the visor with the Insurance card, registration and copies of the licenses.

While I try always to have the drivers license and pistol permit on my person, the insurance and registration only have to be in the car. The copies are on the visor ONLY for the purposes of informing the officer I'm armed and keeping my hands in full view until I can assure the him/her I'm reaching for my wallet on my hip, and NOT the weapon.

As a state trooper out west, I can tell you THAT guy was on his way to coffee or to the barn for end of shift. I wrote several people today for being in the 71+ range in a 55 zone. The blue ribbon winner was a 17 year old kid in his mom's Lexus doing 83. Not checking docs or writing you a tag means he was headed somewhere and you were a necessary inconvenience. Trust me, I've been there. Daily. :embarassed:

We also stop a lot of people on the graveyard shift to check for DUI, and we often let them go with a warning so we can get to the next car that might have a drunk in it. Maybe he was impressed by your sobriety?!?:dunno:

ADK_40GLKr
10-15-2012, 21:20
Maybe he was impressed by your sobriety?!?:dunno:

Sober? I sure was!

Impaired? That light was so bright it was like I was being held in place by concrete!

MAC702
10-15-2012, 21:45
While "Rural Delivery" is surely interesting, I'm actually curious to know what state you are in where you have to do all this for cops when getting pulled over. Bummer.

Gallium
10-16-2012, 02:47
While "Rural Delivery" is surely interesting, I'm actually curious to know what state you are in where you have to do all this for cops when getting pulled over. Bummer.

He is in upstate NY.

ADK_40GLKr
10-22-2012, 17:17
Got a letter from Glock today recommending replacement of squibbed barrel, and billing me $125 for the new one.

A expensive lesson, but it's only fair. Wasn't their fault.

Now I can talk to Winchester about their ____ squibbing WWB ammo!

SJ 40
10-22-2012, 20:49
Adk Glkr
Glocks determination sounds fair and what I expected,now the work begins when you send the bill to winchester. It may take some time but stick to your guns or should I have said gun. Good Luck SJ 40

ADK_40GLKr
10-23-2012, 13:54
He is in upstate NY.

Indeed!

I live in the AD-iron-dacKs and shoot a .40 caliber GLocK. :wavey:

(Maybe soon a .45GAP Glock.)

ADK_40GLKr
11-01-2012, 21:26
Glock 38 arrived back from Smyrna yesterday.

It works - a little pig nosed, & twisted, but seems to shoot straight.

I had to pay Glock for a new barrel - $125 - no problem - it wasn't their fault.

Still waiting for a response from Winchester on the squibbed WWB ammo.

Pistol SN: TANxxx
Barrel SN: Lxxxxx

Glock40man
11-01-2012, 22:57
Glock 38 arrived back from Smyrna yesterday.

It works - a little pig nosed, & twisted, but seems to shoot straight.

I had to pay Glock for a new barrel - $125 - no problem - it wasn't their fault.

Still waiting for a response from Winchester on the squibbed WWB ammo.

Pistol SN: TANxxx
Barrel SN: Lxxxxx

Good luck.

jbailey8
11-01-2012, 23:18
Interesting thread. I'm glad you kept us updated. I can't wait to see the outcome with Winchester.

ADK_40GLKr
11-02-2012, 06:20
Interesting thread. I'm glad you kept us updated. I can't wait to see the outcome with Winchester.

Don't hold your breath! I'm not!

ADK_40GLKr
11-20-2012, 14:50
For those of you who've been waiting on pins 'n' needles for the results of my issue with Wiinchester:

I found an envelope in my mailbox this afternoon bearing a check for $196.21 from Olin Corp. (aka Winchester) that covered the $125 that I'd paid Glock for the new barrel PLUS the price of the 2 boxes of .45GAP I'd sent them after one of the rounds squibbed and the next one ruptured my brand new G38 barrel.

End of story!----- 62 days, start to finish!

Book closed!

I learned a couple lessons:

- IF THE SHOT SOUNDS FUNNY, TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR BARREL FOR AN OBSTRUCTION.

-BE WARY OF WINCHESTER AMMO.

-WINCHESTER DOES HAVE DECENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, IMHO!

Beanie-Bean
11-20-2012, 15:22
ADK,

That was good to see that Winchester took care of you. Glad that you're good to go now.

For what it's worth, I've had good luck loading up my old Speer and Starline brass for .45GAP. Haven't run across any Winchester GAP brass yet, but I'm sure it'll take a beating like their 9x19 and .45ACP brass take. I load those up until the primers won't seat any more.

After reading about squib loads during my research into reloading, I've added a wooden dowel to my toolbox I bring to the range to knock out anything that could be stuck in one of the barrels. Thankfully, I haven't had that happen yet, but I know that it may happen someday.

Happy shooting!

ADK_40GLKr
11-20-2012, 15:31
ADK,
For what it's worth, I've had good luck loading up my old Speer and Starline brass for .45GAP. Haven't run across any Winchester GAP brass yet, but I'm sure it'll take a beating like their 9x19 and .45ACP brass take. I load those up until the primers won't seat any more.

I was wondering what criteria to use for trashing old brass. Sounds like a plan.

PLUS I've already damaged some cases so they wouldn't chamber. Had to trash them too.

Had forgotten to flare 'em. Live & learn!

SJ 40
11-20-2012, 15:37
Adk Glkr

Glad winchester stood behind their product and covered the damage. Much more preferable to the coupons for more of their product and pistol rug they sent me years back.

Besides listening if you ever have a failure to eject,Stop and visually check for squib.
I've witnessed it many times shooting in competition that may also save one a bulged or ruptured barrel. SJ 40

SCmasterblaster
03-14-2013, 11:02
Blinded by the Light ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBifX0H3yg)

This old song takes me back to my USN days.

SARDG
03-14-2013, 12:24
This old song takes me back to my USN days.
You resurrected a 4 month old string to say that and to boost your post count??? :wow:

Emmett4glock
03-14-2013, 12:36
You resurrected a 4 month old string to say that and to boost your post count??? :wow:
I'm glad he did. This was an interesting thread considering that I shoot WWB from time to time.

ADK_40GLKr
03-14-2013, 14:07
I'm glad he did. This was an interesting thread considering that I shoot WWB from time to time.

OK, I'll chime in as well. Whatever seemed off, when I got my G38 back from Glock, seems to have repaired itself. I've used it several times in IDPA practice, and can only guess that the heat of firing 30 rounds in rapid succession helped the frame to conform back to alignment with the slide rails.

I still haven't reached the stellar performance I get with my G17, :whistling: but am not sure whether that's due to my wobbly reloads, my slower recovery time, or innate inaccuracy of the once damaged pistol.

Whatever, I'm enjoying it a lot whenever I take it out of the safe.

And I'm learning to reload as a result of having a 45GAP.

Thanks, MasterBlaster & Emmett, for reminding me to follow up.

sciolist
03-14-2013, 18:16
Maybe New York's new policy is that your gun blows up on the eighth round.

Definitely learn to be sensitive to squibs, and always check the barrel - with the gun pointed downrange.

BamaTrooper
03-15-2013, 07:45
What a crappy first outing with the new gun. Winchester QC strikes again. Hopefully it only takes a week or two to get the replacement 38 back.:wavey:

Glad things worked out.

Sohryu76
03-15-2013, 22:54

I am glad he did to. This was a very interesting read for me. As I have only been shooting once for about 150 rounds. give or take. not counting some 22LR.