Noveske NSR handguard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noveske NSR handguard

Walt_NC
09-20-2012, 00:58
I recently outfitted my SPR rig with a Noveske switchblock so that I can run a suppressor in sniper comps. Because I obviously need the gas block to be exposed, I have to swap the current Larue 13.2" hanguard for something shorter - 11" in length to be exact.

I'm curious about the Noveske NSR handguard (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=nsr-11&cat=183&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) but haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews and information. It's insanely lightweight - has anyone reported durability issues? Also, it doesn't appear to have any kind of anti-rotation device and instead relies only on the barrel nut. Is there one and I'm just not seeing it? Does the design make an anti-rotation device unnecessary?

Aside from Noveske, are there any other specific makes/models that you guys would recommend for my applications? My priorities are durability, stability and weight, in that order.

Thanks in advance.

Mayhem like Me
09-20-2012, 11:05
That is most assuredly designed by SWS looking at the barrel nut. Look at the SWS offerings as well.

I like the DD lite and the Troy Extreme rails I beat the crap out of my Troy and no issues and very light..

Travclem
09-20-2012, 11:55
I use the DD 14.0 and 10.0 Lite Rails. They are extremely solid, tough, and light weight. I suspect the 10.0 would work for your purposes, though it would be a little short.

Big Bird
09-20-2012, 12:03
I have three Noveski NSR rails on my guns and they are my favorite. I put all thee on myself and had no problems with the installation. Took maybe 20 minutes tops.

You will need a 1 1/16" Crows foot attachment if you intend to use a torque wrench though I can tell you a torque wrench for this installation is superfouous as the torque range in Noveski's instructions goes all the way to 80 ft lbs. So assuming you are torquing to at least 35-40 fit lbs there's a wide range of torque available to get the screw holes in the barrel nut to line up properly.

There are no options available for anti-rotation unless you buy a complete gun from Noveski and they will put a small pin between the rail and the upper receiver just above the gas tube hole. But I promise, if you can untorque this rail you have done something REALLY wrong.

The rail attaches to the barrel nut directly with 6 hex head screws--2 on each side and 2 on the bottom. This makes for a VERY sturdy rail. Its very rigid and stout and you won't find a lighter rail on the market anywhere.

Downsides? I wish Noveski had integrated the sling swivel mount into the rail at the back end instead of having to buy a $18 sling swivel mount. It works fine and is more low profile than any other swivel mount out there. But Larue and the Wilson TRIM rail both have these integral to to rail and I'd like to see it that way on the Noveski as well.
You must buy the Noveski rail attachments and at around $20 they add to the cost but of course I prefer a few add on rails to a quad rail anyhow. Not only from a weight perspective but I just hate grabbing quad rails AND if you put those stupid plastic rail covers on it just adds weight and bulk.

Here's my 6.8 SPC with a 16" barrel and a 13.8 NSR rail. I also have 9" on my 10.5" LMT SBR and a 13.8" on a 14.5" mid length gun.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0460-1.jpg

Expensive, but very slick, very sturdy, VERY light.

Mayhem like Me
09-20-2012, 12:14
BB , I installed a NOVESKE on my 6.8 by having a smith drill the corresponding hole into the upper and I used a pin(made from a drill shank) to facilitate the anti rotation mount.
I believe the barrel nut kicks up the weight(NOVESKE /SWS) when you factor that in it may be heavier than a corresponding DD lite rail. The one I have is a steel barrel nut and very heavy and stout..

Big Bird
09-20-2012, 17:43
BB , I installed a NOVESKE on my 6.8 by having a smith drill the corresponding hole into the upper and I used a pin(made from a drill shank) to facilitate the anti rotation mount.
I believe the barrel nut kicks up the weight(NOVESKE /SWS) when you factor that in it may be heavier than a corresponding DD lite rail. The one I have is a steel barrel nut and very heavy and stout..

Yeah, the barrel nut is a hunk of metal for sure. But its back near the receiver so it doesn't put all the weight out front like a quad rail will. So the balance point stays in the middle.

I though about drilling my own hole for the anti-rotation pin in my press but I decided against it. Especially with the one gun that took about 85# of torque. That puppy ain't coming off with a pipe wrench!:shocked:

I did a little search and the DD Lite rail in 9.5" length is 11.6 ounces the Noveski 9" NSR is 8.7 ounces with the barrel nut which alone weighs 3.1 ounces. That's from the Noveski and DD website.

Made Man
09-20-2012, 18:10
Hey Big Bird, did you remove the dust cover on your MUR before you coated it? I was wanting to change mine out, but I can't figure out how to remove it. As you know, its not like a regular upper.

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps

Made Man
09-20-2012, 18:12
High jacking is not my intent Walt.

Big Bird
09-20-2012, 18:53
Hey Big Bird, did you remove the dust cover on your MUR before you coated it? I was wanting to change mine out, but I can't figure out how to remove it. As you know, its not like a regular upper.

Yes, There's a roll pin that holds the forward assist assembly to the receiver. Just drive it to the inside of the receiver. Its got a funky angle but nothing you can't figure out if you hold your tongue right. The forward assist assembly itself is held in place with another roll pin just like on a standard upper.

Made Man
09-20-2012, 18:56
That you so very much, sir. Shouldn't be a problem.

Mayhem like Me
09-21-2012, 07:44
BB great info on that rail thanks..

I still have my wrench tucked away somewhere...It's heavier than the rail.

Walt_NC
09-22-2012, 15:41
I use the DD 14.0 and 10.0 Lite Rails. They are extremely solid, tough, and light weight. I suspect the 10.0 would work for your purposes, though it would be a little short.

Yeah, this rifle definitely gets banged around so I wouldn't feel comfortable with an inch of the gas tube exposed. The DD lite rails look great but they don't come in 11" lengths. Thanks for the advice, though!

Expensive, but very slick, very sturdy, VERY light.

That was a phenomenal write-up. Very informative and helpful. Thanks!

-----

Everyone: thanks a ton for your thoughts and input. You all persuaded me so I went out to order an 11" NSR handguard, a couple of various sections of rail and the sling mount. Just my luck, they were back ordered. Unfortunately, I've got a few competitions on the horizon so time is an issue. I ended up ordering the Noveske and a Larue (also back ordered). Whichever gets here first, goes on the rifle. The late arrival gets shelved for a later 6.8 build. I will post pics when this sucker finally gets built.