Is It Wrong To Love Adele? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is It Wrong To Love Adele?

Restless28
09-20-2012, 04:42
I admit. I love Adele.

In the past, I would not even pay attention to her songs on the radio, but, dammit, when I began to lately, I can see why people think she's awesome.

She may have one of the best voices that I have ever heard.

I wouldn't have guessed that I would like a pop singer.

Psychman
09-20-2012, 04:59
She is a great singer and songwriter. So no, it is fine to love her.

Just a singer and her piano player. No glitz, no backup singers, no half naked dancers.

Adele performing Someone Like You | BRIT Awards 2011 - YouTube

Sgt. Rambo
09-20-2012, 05:10
Her voice is great, great music, but all her songs are about me!!! I can't listen too them...LOL Had an experience where someone dedicated a lot of her songs to me... Not good..

GlockinNJ
09-20-2012, 05:30
Count me in. I really like her voice. Reminds me of some of the old jazz greats.

jbutenhoff
09-20-2012, 05:33
Don't worry, you are allowed to like any music you want to!

Those that knock others preferences are all morons :)

I agree though, she is great! Therefore I am not a moron...

Ummagumma
09-20-2012, 05:37
I wouldn't call Adele a pop singer. Britney and Nicky BJ ... oops Menaj are pop. Adele is actually talented :)

I love British singers like Adele and the late and great Amy Winehouse. They aren't as obsessed with ratings and commercialized as American artists.

Hyksos
09-20-2012, 05:40
I don't like her. Her stuff is way overplayed and you can only hear a song about a girl being dumped so many times before it gets old a-la Taylor Swift.

Plus it's all BS IMO. When Adele was making all that music and stuff, she was apparently also getting pregnant. So sorry for you Adele that you have all this heartbreak in your life, but I see it didn't hurt you enough to stop you from having another man's kid.

m51
09-20-2012, 05:50
Very strong voice, so far I like everything I hear from her..

Psychman
09-20-2012, 05:59
I don't like her. Her stuff is way overplayed and you can only hear a song about a girl being dumped so many times before it gets old a-la Taylor Swift.

Plus it's all BS IMO. When Adele was making all that music and stuff, she was apparently also getting pregnant. So sorry for you Adele that you have all this heartbreak in your life, but I see it didn't hurt you enough to stop you from having another man's kid.

Wow. Judgmental much?

Hyksos
09-20-2012, 06:02
Wow. Judgmental much?

I'm allowed to have an opinion. I actually think she has a powerful voice, and she can sing well at times. I am however tired of the ad nauseum playing of I'LL SET FIIRREEE TO THE RAIN, or RUMOR HAS IT RUMOR HAS IT. Everywhere you go, it's all you hear. Also, as I said before, I think it's all BS given her real-life circumstances.

Peace Warrior
09-20-2012, 06:02
For my tastes', Adele seems way too melancholy and about living in the past, or trying to go through life always looking back. You can do that if you want, but it may not work out so well. Just my opinion, ymmv

For any Christians on GT, if you're looking for a singer/songwriter that can skillfully decode life as well as practical Christian living based on the Holy Bible, give a listen to Nicole Nordeman's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-UOVnmni0) stuff. If you appreciate great lyrics from a position of humility more so than production, glitz, and effects, you'll probably be impressed.

kmac76
09-20-2012, 06:04
I am on board... Her voice is awesome/powerful and she has a cool "old soul" feel to her style.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

txgunguy
09-20-2012, 06:13
I wouldn't play it at the station. Maybe you can and tell me how it goes? :)

But seriously, I don't like her. Way too whiny and depressing for me.

kensb2
09-20-2012, 06:16
I'm allowed to have an opinion. I actually think she has a powerful voice, and she can sing well at times. I am however tired of the ad nauseum playing of I'LL SET FIIRREEE TO THE RAIN, or RUMOR HAS IT RUMOR HAS IT. Everywhere you go, it's all you hear. Also, as I said before, I think it's all BS given her real-life circumstances.
That's like saying Jamie Foxx is a bad actor because he played a mentally ill musical prodigy, but he's wealthy in real life so it's all BS. Just because someone says something in a song, or in a movie, doesn't mean it reflects their personal life in any meaningful way. Yes, her music is in heavy rotation. Listen to a different station?

BEER
09-20-2012, 06:22
i'm a fan.

Hyksos
09-20-2012, 06:23
That's like saying Jamie Foxx is a bad actor because he played a mentally ill musical prodigy, but he's wealthy in real life so it's all BS. Just because someone says something in a song, or in a movie, doesn't mean it reflects their personal life in any meaningful way. Yes, her music is in heavy rotation. Listen to a different station?

I can't change the music at Chipotle, or the doctor's office, or walmart, or chik fil a, or publix, or any other restaurant for that matter.

Secondly, usually you are right about someone's work not reflecting who they are. Actors/Rappers are not held to reflect their characters/lyrics in real life. However, I think it's different in this case. She got famous because she was the Chubby English girl that got dumped. All her music is associated with that, it's why she won all those awards, and it's her entire persona. But, it's all BS. That's all I have to say on this issue.

Gun Shark
09-20-2012, 06:28
Not wrong to love her at all. while I don't love her music, I think she is extremely talented. And Brittney Spears and that plastic looking thing Nikki Menaj do not belong in the same sentence IMHO. I admit that is judgmental, and I try not to be and I find myself an extremely tolerant and accepting person, but I just I can't accept Nikki Menaj as an artist. I respect her as someone who made and continues to make money in an industry where that is extremely difficult though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

glockrod
09-20-2012, 06:32
But not only has she been dumped, she is stalking the guy that dumped her. Stalking is just freaky to be singing about.

Other than that, her almost haunting-like voice is beautiful and I love the way she controls the feel of the song.

Her ex should have booted her long before and put a restraining order on that wacked out woman, though!!

If every other sentence here contradicts the other, there is a reason for that love/hate for Adele. She is great, but weird, all at the same time.

Rod

Hines57
09-20-2012, 06:44
I have heard the name, but wasn't sure who she was. I didn't know that Rumor Has It was her. That's kind of a cool song.

But then again I get all my new music from car and beer commercials.

Clairy Browne & the Bangin' Rackettes - Love Letter (official music video) - YouTube

Mrs.Cicero
09-20-2012, 06:50
She has a great voice and style, but I'm tired of most of her songs. They are overplayed. I hope for something new, soon.

Sharkey
09-20-2012, 07:47
I like her stuff but this if funny!

http://youtu.be/RcBF9TXMaEQ

Bruce M
09-20-2012, 09:13
She certainly has an excellent voice.

Dennis in MA
09-20-2012, 09:38
She is a great singer and songwriter. So no, it is fine to love her.

Just a singer and her piano player. No glitz, no backup singers, no half naked dancers.

Adele performing Someone Like You | BRIT Awards 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY)

I love her voice, but I prefer the studio to live. And with all that make-up, she looks like a grow'd up Honey Boo-Boo Child. LOL

That's like saying Dave Coulet really messed up Alanis Morrissette that much. :rofl::rofl:

I have heard the name, but wasn't sure who she was. I didn't know that Rumor Has It was her. That's kind of a cool song.

Clairy Browne & the Bangin' Rackettes - Love Letter (official music video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNtyaNHq5A&feature=relmfu)

I think that's a dude. I thought it during the Heinie commercials. I think it now.

Diesel McBadass
09-20-2012, 09:42
Shes got a great voice, i just wish shed make a happy song or two, hers are usually depressing.

SC Tiger
09-20-2012, 09:43
I admit. I love Adele.

In the past, I would not even pay attention to her songs on the radio, but, dammit, when I began to lately, I can see why people think she's awesome.

She may have one of the best voices that I have ever heard.

I wouldn't have guessed that I would like a pop singer.

Only if you're married. :tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

Her music? That's fine - I'm a fan of some of her stuff myself.

MaxxAction
09-20-2012, 09:44
I once proclaimed I would marry Norah Jones if she would sing me to sleep every night. Forget the sex, I just want to listen to that silky smooth voice...

Adjuster
09-20-2012, 10:29
Adele is singing the next James Bond 'Skyfall' theme song.

/

Glock13
09-20-2012, 13:19
Hey! Don't rag on Nicki Minaj...she's voting for Romney!

hpracing007
09-20-2012, 13:25
Man, I usually love top 40 stuff but hate Adele with a passion. I still remember the first time I heard her on the radio, i heard a tiny part of the chorus for "rollin in the deep"

I couldn't change the station fast enough. That bad, she has to be one of my least favorite singers of all time.

And that's before I found out she was fat (lots of people think I hate adele because she's fat but that's simply not the case!)

I probably won't go see the next bond film if she's singing the theme. I hate her that much.

norton
09-20-2012, 13:53
"Adele"
" Put down the ham sandwich or you will end up like me."

Mama Cass.

MasterShake
09-20-2012, 14:15

My thoughts exactly. :upeyes:

Diesel McBadass
09-20-2012, 14:43
The weakness stars like her have is they are constantly overplayed. anything gets annoying if its all you hear. When i was in lousiana my rental car had xm and i swear half the channels were playing that want to be a billionaire song or that emininem rhianna duet they did. I had to turn the radio off a lot cause they got so annoying.

One reason i love adele.....my girlfriends a huge fan, each new album means i dont need to work nearlyas hard to find gifts :)

Jay9928
09-20-2012, 16:54
Who ????!!!!

MasterShake
09-20-2012, 16:55
^ :rofl:

Restless28
09-20-2012, 19:21

Clairy Browne & the Bangin' Rackettes - Love Letter (official music video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNtyaNHq5A&feature=relmfu)

Love that song!

HollowHead
09-20-2012, 22:03
Adele is good, but the Grand Goddess Of Dumped Chicks will always be Lucinda Williams. HH

arizona_andy
09-21-2012, 18:02
Man, I usually love top 40 stuff but hate Adele with a passion. I still remember the first time I heard her on the radio, i heard a tiny part of the chorus for "rollin in the deep"

I couldn't change the station fast enough. That bad, she has to be one of my least favorite singers of all time.

And that's before I found out she was fat (lots of people think I hate adele because she's fat but that's simply not the case!)

I probably won't go see the next bond film if she's singing the theme. I hate her that much.

And I thought I was the only one...

Yeah, people can listen to whatever music they want. That's fine. I just personally can't stand Adele and I am glad my local radio stations don't play her stuff nearly as much as they used to.

Indianashooter
09-21-2012, 18:49
I like Adele. She has a very powerful voice and most of today's popular singers can't match. I generally don't listen to the radio stations that play her kind of music, so when I do hear one of her songs, it's a treat.
And this from a guy who still rock out to Ratt, Motley Crue, Poisen and Kiss.

Rocknropes
09-22-2012, 05:13
Adele is amazingly talented and raw. Much better than a lot of the processed crap we hear on the radio these days.

And so what if she sings a bunch of breakup songs or whatever? How many guys have sung breakup songs for decades upon decades? Both genders get dumped on, and both sides deserve to write/sing/play/draw/vent about it. And if she happened to sing about it while she was pregnant? Maybe she didn't write that song while she was pregnant. Maybe she wrote it years before but it finally got recorded and sold after she found happiness. You can't always be sad or angry.

anyway, to the OP, listen to whatever sounds good. Doesn't matter if the singer is a chick/gay/disabled/trendy/weird/oddly colored/different race/religion/etc... or whatever at the moment.

wdp
09-22-2012, 05:28
Adele's stuff pretty much all sounds the same to me. She has a good voice but limited scale which makes her a bit boring, forget the fact the lyrics are depressing. I don't think you'll ever hear her hit the high note.

Brucev
09-22-2012, 06:13
Like her voice and much of her music.

brisk21
09-22-2012, 08:05
Nothing wrong with liking Adele. She has an excellent, unique voice. People that only listen to one or two types of music are shorting themselves.

Peace Warrior
09-22-2012, 11:18
Nothing wrong with liking Adele. She has an excellent, unique voice. People that only listen to one or two types of music are shorting themselves.
I have this thing of needing to hear the lyrics in a song. Just me, ymmv.

As far as her lyrics, life has challenges, and well, no matter how bad it gets, or how horrible a day, week, month or year might be, at some point you have to dust off and move on. If one really does "bottom out," the direction needed is up, which that reminds me of something.

'Ere ya go:

Shania Twain - Up! (Green Version) - YouTube

jpa
09-22-2012, 11:48
I love Adele. What I can't stand is her fans.

I saw her live at the Cosmo here in Las Vegas last fall. I never met the biggest bunch of man-hating women or obnoxious, flaming gay men. There was a group of gay guys who apparently paid extra for "VIP" tickets. For whatever reason, those tickets didn't get them the "access" or "seating" they thought they were going to get, so I had to stand there and listen to them ***** through the whole show about how crappy it was that people with general admission tickets were able to get right in front of the stage and they didn't get a "reserved" standing space. I tried getting away from them several times but the way the crowd moved they kept winding up right by me.

I do have the Blu Ray of her live show and it is incredible to watch in surround sound... :)

aplcr0331
09-22-2012, 13:42
Watch her full concert from a few years ago at the Royal Albert Hall. A M A Z I N G.

My favorite bands; Iron Maiden, Suicidal Tendencies, Anthrax, Faith No More, Oingo Boingo and watching that concert over and over again. She is hysterical when she talks too.

Adele: Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Full Concert HD) - YouTube

Give it a watch.

costanza187
09-24-2012, 20:48
Hey! Don't rag on Nicki Minaj...she's voting for Romney!

Nicki Minaj is cool! :cool: I definitely prefer her to Adele.

janice6
09-24-2012, 20:56
I once proclaimed I would marry Norah Jones if she would sing me to sleep every night. Forget the sex, I just want to listen to that silky smooth voice...

Funny. I just recently found Norah Jones and have loaded my phone up.

Adele is ok.

ithaca_deerslayer
09-24-2012, 21:01

Pretty sure she wrote that stuff long before she got pregnant.

Getting pregnant is what women do. They get attracted to men, get their heart broken a few times, then fall in love again and get pregnant. It's called life and it's where kids come from.

Can't blame her your radio station plays her music a lot. Is that her fault?

Adjuster
10-05-2012, 09:08
Official release.

http://youtu.be/7HKoqNJtMTQ

/