180gr Remington "cup and core" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 180gr Remington "cup and core"

ennis
09-21-2012, 12:33
Has anyone here used the green boxed Remington 180gr MC on game? It has decent velocity and should penetrate well. I don't expect or want expansion, for my purpose. I am curious about how well this "cup and core" built bullet will hold together.

Ethereal Killer
09-21-2012, 18:13
I would expect it to perform just like every other FMJ jacketed bullet, which is nothing spectacular and basically about the worst performer terminally, of all bullets.

It'll probably poke a simple hole thru a target and maybe penetrate 20-23" in gel with little other damage, but possible deforming or fragmenting if it hits hard structure.

ennis
09-21-2012, 20:00
I would expect it to perform just like every other FMJ jacketed bullet, which is nothing spectacular and basically about the worst performer terminally, of all bullets.

It'll probably poke a simple hole thru a target and maybe penetrate 20-23" in gel with little other damage, but possible deforming or fragmenting if it hits hard structure.
I suppose it would depend on the thickness of the jacket and hardness of the lead core. I am looking for ammo that pokes a hole as straight and deep as possible and wont break up when it hits bone. The Belt Mountain, "Punch" bullet is ideal, but they run $3 a pop, and he doesn't make a .40.:upeyes:

Ethereal Killer
09-22-2012, 08:23
a WFN hardcast lead is what you seek.

ennis
09-22-2012, 12:28
Has anyone here used the green boxed Remington 180gr MC on game? It has decent velocity and should penetrate well. I don't expect or want expansion, for my purpose. I am curious about how well this "cup and core" built bullet will hold together.
Thanks, but I wanted to avoid the theoretical debate on the benefits of hardcast lead over jacketed bullets. I was hoping to hear from someone with "real world" experience with this particular round.

Ethereal Killer
09-22-2012, 13:45
My sincerest apologies. I have never used that load on game.

I personally feel it would be grossly irresponsible to do so based on my extensive personal studies in terminal ballistics and over a decade of combined professional experience in military ammunition, and selling and designing commercial ammo loads. But I am far from an expert and I certainly dont know everything.

shooting "game" with a pistol is dicey and marginal in the best of cases. Using a poorly constructed target load is just bad form.

Something like a WFN or Wadcutter design with some edges to cut the flesh actually allow bleeding and better tissue damage. Whereas the FMJ/TC loadings crush the flesh and shove it aside leaving a hole less than the size of a bullet with a crushing wound allowing for very little bleeding. In essence using an FMJ is like using a much smaller caliber with respect to the size of hole and damage.

ennis
09-30-2012, 12:51
This isn't a recovered bullet from a game animal but... I shot some 200gr doubletap WFNGC and the 180gr Remington MC into a chunk of 8x8 lumber. The 180gr blew a chunk off the back, and was almost completely through it. The bullet 100% intact. The jacket was VERY thick on that bullet. The 200gr Doubletap lodged somewhere inside the wooden block. All I could do to measure was stick a pencil into the entrance hole. Not very precise, I know, but the pencil went in about 4 inches. I'm not going to make any generalizations about these two bullets, based on my primitive backyard science. I will say, that if I didn't care for any expansion, and only wanted to punch through the target, the 180gr Remington MC, impressed me.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/cadjak/Misc%20Firearms/10mm%20guns%20and%20ammo/2012-09-29_16-34-30_234.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/cadjak/Misc%20Firearms/10mm%20guns%20and%20ammo/2012-09-28_17-33-48_192.jpg