My take on my new Dillon RL550B [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My take on my new Dillon RL550B

sigman69
09-22-2012, 00:53
First off this is my opinion, and I now know why some of the people here recommend Dillon presses.

I for many years have used a Lee Turret press, it worked, the powder drops werent the best but it got me the ammo I needed, it worked, and while it wasnt the fastest at loading it was a good basic setup.

Moving on I got a good deal on a NIB from a friend RL550B. All I can say to EVERYONE out there, if you plan on shooting alot, or alot over the foreseeable future get the 550B.

The best analogy I can give you is...Lee= Toyota Corolla vs the Dillon=Vette both get you where you want to go BUT the Dillon does it smoother, faster, and it is just better made..BUT alot more $$$$

Pay once, cry once, and get a Dillon if you are going to do reloading and lots of shooting.

John

fredj338
09-22-2012, 10:17
Yep, pretty much what the exp reloaders keep trying to tell the noobs, but then everyone gets all hung up on saving a couple $100 over a 20yr+ shooting lifetime. Enjoy, a good choice as you have learned.

ron59
09-22-2012, 10:45
I started with a 550B and loaded 40,000 rounds on it. I moved up to a 650 last Christmas but still have the 550.

The 550 *will* give you priming issues once it gets worn and dirty enough. That's the one thing I wish they'd improve on it. The rod that moves it back is on the right, and as the primer arm slides back, sideways pressure gets applied to it. It wants to hang up. PLUS, the primer catcher rubs on it putting a little groove in there which causes problems. It started with me around 30,000 rounds, I put up with it until I hit 35,000... after one call, they GAVE me a brand new entire priming setup. Can't beat that.

AKRover
09-22-2012, 10:51
Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for a reloader and have been looking at the Dillon presses. In the past I had a single stage but I shoot a lot more now so a progressive is really needed. I have a bonus coming and debating whether to get my reloading setup or another rifle. I'm not as paranoid as some about what's going to happen after the election but at the same time I don't want to pass on buying the rifle and then find out I won't have another chance. I think it will be a while longer before the Washington idiots get around to banning reloading equipment.

fredj338
09-22-2012, 13:08
Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for a reloader and have been looking at the Dillon presses. In the past I had a single stage but I shoot a lot more now so a progressive is really needed. I have a bonus coming and debating whether to get my reloading setup or another rifle. I'm not as paranoid as some about what's going to happen after the election but at the same time I don't want to pass on buying the rifle and then find out I won't have another chance. I think it will be a while longer before the Washington idiots get around to banning reloading equipment.
You should be. Re election of Obama will certainly mean a new rash of EOs & many of those will impact shooters & reloaders. Whether it be "fees" or regulations, it will happen when he isn't accountable to an electorate. Vote Rep in Nov & take a liberal with you. They all can't be stupid enough to vote for this moron again.

SPIN2010
09-22-2012, 13:20
The primer issue is easy to contain by treating the RL550B when you first get it. I treated the slide bar and primer cup with teflon coating. Also, you have to make sure it is adjusted correctly, deburred, and locked down.

Plus "IF" you have a primer system issue do not just keep cranking out the ammo ... take care of the problem right then. I have seen people just mual an RL550B and blame the unit. :faint:

I have never had a primer issue with my RL550B, it is a GREAT press.

norton
09-22-2012, 14:57
550 with accessories

ron59
09-22-2012, 19:06
The primer issue is easy to contain by treating the RL550B when you first get it. I treated the slide bar and primer cup with teflon coating. Also, you have to make sure it is adjusted correctly, deburred, and locked down.

Plus "IF" you have a primer system issue do not just keep cranking out the ammo ... take care of the problem right then. I have seen people just mual an RL550B and blame the unit. :faint:

And how many rounds do you have through it?

Unless the answer is 40,000 or so, then you don't have the "experience" to have seen what will likely happen.

I did NOT "just crank" on mine. For sure. Or maul it.

BBSRQ
09-22-2012, 19:27
Ron, I'm fairly new to all this stuff and I don't know anything about reloading. If I want to shoot, say, 300-400 rds a month, does it make sense to buy the equipment and reload? What does it cost to get set up with a reloader for 9mm or .40? What does it cost you/rd to make your own, not including the initial cost of the equipment?

F106 Fan
09-22-2012, 19:57
Ron, I'm fairly new to all this stuff and I don't know anything about reloading. If I want to shoot, say, 300-400 rds a month, does it make sense to buy the equipment and reload? What does it cost to get set up with a reloader for 9mm or .40? What does it cost you/rd to make your own, not including the initial cost of the equipment?

This topic comes up all the time, as you can imagine. You can search the forum. Or, read the stickies at the top of the forum.

As a wild guess, you can reload for 1/2 the cost of Wally World ammo. So, 400 rounds per month times 12 months per year is 4800 rounds. That is 96 boxes at $17 each so about $1632. So, you could save about $800 per year!

Of course, it's kind of silly to blow up $1600 worth of ammo but we all do it. We just don't talk about it!

You can get started with what I consider a low end machine for somewhere less than $300. So, 5 months payback.

The Dillon 550 which is a favorite around here STARTS at $440. But it goes up pretty fast when you start selecting options. So, don't select any. Just drive it the way it comes and consider the upgrades later. Still, you will need to add dies, a powder scale, calipers, a flip tray and probably a case gauge.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/pkg_id/8

It looks to me like a workable configuration is about $650. The machine will crank out nearly 500 rounds per hour.

Richard

njl
09-22-2012, 22:15
I started with a 550B and loaded 40,000 rounds on it. I moved up to a 650 last Christmas but still have the 550.

The 550 *will* give you priming issues once it gets worn and dirty enough. That's the one thing I wish they'd improve on it.

I think the problem with the 550 priming system is the decapping crud that gets all over/around the primer slide eventually destroys the smooth finish on the bearing plate and things go down hill from there. I've lightly used my RL550B for about 4 years and have already had to have the priming system replaced. It's great that they'll do it (at no cost to us), but it was a bit of a PITA finding a time when I could call them from in front of the machine and they were open. They require this so they can troubleshoot it and figure out exactly which parts to send.

SBray
09-23-2012, 11:08

I don't know how a person could go wrong with a Dillion 550b. There is a reason it is the flagship of the Dillion line. At a decent price, you get a well made, affordable unit.

That said, I have already had problems with mine and it is because I did just what you said not to do. I did not check the tightness of the two primer assembly bolts and the mechanism got out of alignment, resulting in primers not being feed. I just kept operating the machine even though I felt something wasn't just right. As my kids say, "Me Bad"!

It was a good learning experience for me. I learned more about the machine without ruining any parts. I also got good reliable suggestions from fellow readers on this forum.

Now I have a question, you mentioned a "Teflon coating", are you referring to a Teflon spray, if so, which one did you use?

Thanks,

Steve

alank2
09-23-2012, 12:51
Hi,

Congrats on the 550. I loaded on mine last night and my favorite thing about it is its flexibility. It is as simple and easy a machine as it can be.

I've built a Press Monitor that watches your reloading actions (press handle down, press handle up, rotate) to make sure you don't forget to rotate the shell plate. It also does much more including a full array of statistics, reminders, etc. See my signature for a link to my website.

Thanks,

Alan

SBray
09-23-2012, 15:37
Alan,

I use your Press Monitor all the time with my 550b, and it is very reliable. Gives me the peace of mine that I haven't ever forgot to rotate the carousel. Great job Alan, thanks!

Steve

alank2
09-23-2012, 16:05
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words Steve - I appreciate it!

Alan