Damage to squibbed G38? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Damage to squibbed G38?

ADK_40GLKr
09-22-2012, 05:56
I'm waiting for mailing label from Glock warranty, but in the meantine was able to tap the slide off the bulged barrel. My untrained eye doesn't detect any damage except the bulge in the barrel. I checked the rails, edges of the mag that popped out, etc. Looks like it functioned as designed in the event of "catastrophic failure".

If you've had a squib, how much besides the barrel was actually damaged?

MrVvrroomm
09-22-2012, 06:13
Should be just the barrel. I've had customers come in with squibbed 19's & 17's. Replaced the barrel and they were on their way. This was after a thorough, detailed inspection.

emb111
09-22-2012, 06:21
I had a squib load in my 36. I did not put another round through it. However, I had a bullet from the load stuck in the barrel. In knocking the bullet out I managed to damage the recoil lug. Sent it to Glock, and they replaced the barrel and everything else in the gun. I did have to pay for the barrel-$120. Expensive lesson.

SJ 40
09-22-2012, 07:18
Adj Glkr

A couple of weeks ago a fellow brought his G 21 into the LGS and his slide was stuck to the rear and he said he had tried to hit it forward with the heel of his hand but wouldn't move.
Bills gun smith wasn't in the shop at the time,so I told him I had seen something similar at IPSC shoots before.
Told him I suspected a bulged barrel due to a squib,he said if you know what to do go ahead.
In about two minutes I had the slide off and dang sure enough he had a bulged barrel.

Remember I am not a gun smith nor do I pretend to be one and to my mind the only thing needed to return that particular gun to shooting order was a barrel minus the bulge due to squib,no other damage done.
I asked the gun smith last week when I was in the shop what he came up with with the Glock ,he said he had a barrel on order for the fellow and he would be good to go.

When I was getting the fellows slide off I asked him what ammunition he had been shooting,he said it was Tula and some reloads somebody had given him.
While I'm not a steel cased ammo fan my bet is on some unknown reloads.
SJ 40

ADK_40GLKr
09-22-2012, 10:48
Thanks, guys. That kinda confirms my suspicions. But... While the slide was stuck, I could see a lot of daylight between the slide & the frame.

I used about 4 layers of leather in an old work glove, and tapped the edge of the slide with a hammer, right behind the rear sight, and it loosened up perfectly.

We'll see what Glock says.

Someone have a 45GAP they can loan me for a couple months?:whistling:

:wavey: yeah, yeah, I know better!

ADK_40GLKr
11-11-2012, 19:03
Got the G38 back about a week and a half ago. Sure enough, Glock charged me for the barrel. It works fine, though it's a little pig-nosed now.

Talking with "Donnie" at Winchester, It sounds like they MIGHT cover the damage. He asked me to send a letter explaining the costs I had incurred, including the 2 boxes of WWB from the lot the SQUIB was in, and the barrel replacement. Haven't heard back from them yet, but he sounded willing to make good on the damage.

Needless to say, that would go a long way toward softening my attitude about Winchester ammo, if they do.

SCC
11-11-2012, 22:22
Got the G38 back about a week and a half ago. Sure enough, Glock charged me for the barrel. It works fine, though it's a little pig-nosed now.

Talking with "Donnie" at Winchester, It sounds like they MIGHT cover the damage. He asked me to send a letter explaining the costs I had incurred, including the 2 boxes of WWB from the lot the SQUIB was in, and the barrel replacement. Haven't heard back from them yet, but he sounded willing to make good on the damage.

Needless to say, that would go a long way toward softening my attitude about Winchester ammo, if they do.
sure would like to know if they take care of you !!!
I shoot a lot of WWB :wavey:

MNBud
11-12-2012, 07:59
I'm really confused here, when people have a bulged barrel from a squib, are we talking about putting another round down the barrel and causing the bulge or does the initial round with no powder cause this bulge. I have had a guy bring the same gun in twice to the shop I work at that he had failed to put powder in the casing, but it just pushed the bullet into the barrel. We simply pushed the round out with a wood dowel, no bulged barrel.

SJ 40
11-12-2012, 08:01
Nothing will ever restore my faith in winchester,this isn't a new problem with their QC it's been declining over the last six years or so. SJ 40

ADK_40GLKr
11-12-2012, 08:16
I'm really confused here, when people have a bulged barrel from a squib, are we talking about putting another round down the barrel and causing the bulge or does the initial round with no powder cause this bulge

We are "talking about putting another round down the barrel".

If you want the full story see http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443840.

ADK_40GLKr
11-12-2012, 08:18
Nothing will ever restore my faith in winchester,this isn't a new problem with their QC it's been declining over the last six years or so. SJ 40

I hear ya, neighbor.

jeremy1
11-12-2012, 19:55
My G37 had a replacement barrel when I bought it form what I presume was a squib. Aside from a few small marks in the polymer frame I couldn't tell that anything happened to it.

WWB and American Eagle had GAP problems so be careful with these brands in your 45 GAP's. Speer lawman is the only shelf ammo tha tI would buy in GAP