A different kind of 1911 thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of 1911 thread

ilgunguygt
09-22-2012, 20:23
Hey guys:wavey:

I shot in a bullseye league this year(team took first place woohoo!) and will be doing it again next year. I was wanting to step up to a 45 for next years league. Herein lies the issue. I recently joined the realm of unemployed(due to health conditions) and cannot afford to drop cash on a 1911 like I used to.

I have a Ruger LCR 38 that has less than 100 rounds through it. It would come with the factory box, papers, fired cases, and zipper case. It would also have an uncle mikes pocket holster.

I also have a RIA 1911 compact(officers size) that has been absolutely flawless. It would come with its original mag, box, and a perfect condition galco small of back black leather holster.

What kind of full size 1911 would be a decent trade for the pair that I am willing to part with? I'm not wanting to try and con someone out of a 1000 dollar 1911, thats silly, but I dont really want to screw myself either. Any advice for me?

AKRover
09-22-2012, 21:40
The Ruger SR1911 would be a good 1911 if you can find someone willing to make the trade. They sell for about $700 new.

R0CKETMAN
09-23-2012, 04:54
I'd move the two middle paragraphs to the classifieds. When they sell you'll have $7-800 to play with.

SARO would be my choice or save a bit more for a TRP Tacticool

bac1023
09-23-2012, 11:53
Range officer

ilgunguygt
09-23-2012, 14:08
The Ruger SR1911 would be a good 1911 if you can find someone willing to make the trade. They sell for about $700 new.

Range officer

Finding a trade is the hard part. To do FTF is nearly impossible. I am willing to ship, but that isnt something many people are comfortable with I dont think.

I listed them on here for trade, gonna see where that goes. Tuesday I am going to see my local pusher and see what he has in stock. Im sure he wont give me much outright as far as applied to ordering a new gun, but if he has something on the shelf, or used, maybe I can work something out with him.

jstanfield103
09-24-2012, 03:45
Take them to a LGS and trade it for a Remington R1
That would be a pretty good trade in my opinion.

MajorD
09-24-2012, 10:49
first off what kind of bullseye- do you shoot 25 yard only, 50 foot indoor or full outdoor out to 50 yards?
for the 25 yard and in stuff you MIGHT be able to get away with an entry level 1911. (I think you need target sights of course so in the under 700 dollar range the SA range officer, STI spartan might be good choices.) if you shoot to 50 yards, the entry level guns just do not have the accuracy cabability to be competitive. You might try to find a used colt gold cup also. Bullseye guns are a different breed- what works great for the guys that do combat shooting at short (under 25 yard) range at big targets is not going to be a good choice for bullseye. I've been shooting bullseye now for over 30 years and have some idea of what is required.

glock_19guy1983
09-24-2012, 11:04
For bullseye I assume you are looking for adjustable sights? I would look into a Kimber Target II or Springfield range officer.

ilgunguygt
09-24-2012, 11:42
first off what kind of bullseye- do you shoot 25 yard only, 50 foot indoor or full outdoor out to 50 yards?
for the 25 yard and in stuff you MIGHT be able to get away with an entry level 1911. (I think you need target sights of course so in the under 700 dollar range the SA range officer, STI spartan might be good choices.) if you shoot to 50 yards, the entry level guns just do not have the accuracy cabability to be competitive. You might try to find a used colt gold cup also. Bullseye guns are a different breed- what works great for the guys that do combat shooting at short (under 25 yard) range at big targets is not going to be a good choice for bullseye. I've been shooting bullseye now for over 30 years and have some idea of what is required.

For bullseye I assume you are looking for adjustable sights? I would look into a Kimber Target II or Springfield range officer.

We shoot 25 yard bullseye. I shot my 4"686 with a red dot last season, and made it to a 270 average with it. Looking to step up to a 45 this season. Whatever i get will get drilled and tapped for a frame mount and a red dot on it. Realistically, a RIA would shoot accurately enough for 25 yard bullseye shooting. If my RIA wasnt a compact i would just use it.

MajorD
09-25-2012, 07:47
I'd take one of the experienced 1911 guys you shoot bullseye with and look for used guns- since you already state you are going to put a red dot on it you don't have to worry about sights-which means look for a good solid tight used 1911. should be able to find something affordable.
In new guns I'd still consider the sti spartan-yes it is still essentially an RIA but built with specs directed by sti.

Big Bird
09-25-2012, 08:18
Look at Sig's Stainless Target model. You should easily be able to trade for that with what you have.

Jason D
09-25-2012, 16:41
For a 1911 Bullseye gun you really can't get in one for less than a thousand bucks, and even then it's the bottom of the barrel gun. A true Bullseye gun will start at around 1800 bucks.

However with you shooting at only 25 yards. I see no reason why you would need to shell out the money for a purpose built gun. A few years back I cheaped out and bought the bottom of the barrel High Standard CMP legal match gun. That decision has haunted me since. The gun has potential, but it's also very temperamental. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since I had Springfield Armory do some work on it.

Last year I bought a Remington R1. It will feed anything I toss at it, and can group a nice tight group at 25 yards. It has a well fit barrel and a decent trigger for being a Series 80 Type. Had one of these come along when I was looking for a bullseye gun. I would have been all over it and wouldn't even have batted an eye over having to install adjustable sights.

I was of course constrained at the time by looking for something that was CMP legal.