So who else got the iPhone 5?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So who else got the iPhone 5??

Drjones
09-23-2012, 11:30
I pre-ordered mine on the 14th.

I admit, I was a little underwhelmed/disappointed on the day of the unveiling, but mostly because of all the leaks the past several months. I don't know if Apple is intentionally doing it, or if it's really just become harder to contain, but it really takes the fun out of it; kind of like if you find your presents before Christmas & take a peek; it kills the moment on Christmas morning. As if I needed another reason to hate the media... :upeyes:

Anyhow, I got the 64GB white, AT&T.

Some thoughts:

- It is STUNNING. It has been called a "jewel" and it is so true. The build quality is just outstanding, and the mirror-polished edges are amazing.

- It is freakishly light. For a phone that looks larger than its predecessor, it is noticeably lighter. Of course it is also thinner too.

- It is FAST. Makes the 4S seem like the 3G....the benchmarks show the 5 to be about twice as fast as the 4S, and it's true. Webpages load so much more quickly, maps are much faster, etc. It is a very fast device.

- The LTE is positively insane. Here at my house I ran a test with the speedtest.net app and got 28mbps down and 19 up. Over the LTE cellular. No, that's not a typo error. Words fail me as to how fast that is. If I didn't get close to 100mbps over my comcast at home, I'd be extremely jealous.

- I think probably the most under-rated and under-discussed feature is Panorama photos. Not sure if it's a function exclusive to the 5, or if the 4S can get it through iOS 6, but it is a really stunning capability; I can now take 180 degree panoramic photos, and it is just as fast/instant as snapping a regular photo; there is NO wait time for it to process. You just hit the button, are guided how to move the phone, and that's it. I think this feature will absolutely revolutionize photography now that it's so easy to do and so widely available. The iPhone is by far the most popular camera in the world, and this opens up a whole new dimension.

Panorama also made me very glad I got the 64GB, because each finished photo is supposed to be around a 16mb file; haven't checked for myself yet. Yeah yeah, you can offload them to your PC or iCloud or whatever, but when you're on a trip, it will be nice to not have to worry about it at all.

Anyhow, I think once you take your first panoramic photo and see the quality you'll be hooked. It is really, really cool and I'm going to use it a lot.

- The screen. I didn't think it would make that big a difference nor be that big a deal, but the extra screen space makes it into a whole different device. I won't hesitate to read more books now when I don't have my iPad handy. Makes a very big difference in usability and "comfort" - it's just easier/more fun to use with the larger screen. Much like how the iPad is far superior for reading books, browsing the internet, etc, the larger screen of the iPhone 5 makes it superior to the smaller, older models. Of course the colors are stunning.

- The speaker is noticeable louder and of better quality than the 4S. This is just nice for when you watch a video clip, movie trailer, whatever.

Overall, it is a stunning device and Apple hit it out of the park - again. I'm very, very pleased with it.

harlenm
09-23-2012, 11:57
Just wanted to mention that panorama on a cell phone isn't new. I've been doing it on my android for a while.

Dennis in MA
09-23-2012, 12:01
I got 2 delivered on Friday.

I like it, but it seems that iOS6 hesitates sometimes when I hit the home button. I'll give it a few weeks and see. It might be hardware.

It is very light. Haven't noticed the fast, but I like only having 3 screens of apps. Lets me organize better than before.

bchandler
09-23-2012, 12:16
Just wanted to mention that panorama on a cell phone isn't new. I've been doing it on my android for a while.

No, but it's new to iOS6, and therefore to a sizable portion of the smart phone segment, just like LTE, stock navigation, etc. For these people it is a new and exciting feature. Let's not forget most people don't keep up with, or care about, competing OS features, or who did it first. Most iOS users are set into their ecosystem for whatever reason and are unwilling to switch to Android, myself included, and don't really care about what Android has to offer, though I'm sure its a fine operating system. In my view, the inevitable "Android does it better" or "Android did it first" on every Apple post gets tiring very quickly. Just enjoy your OS and let us Apple users enjoy ours.

certifiedfunds
09-23-2012, 12:47
Android users will ignore the build quality because that S3 thing is made of a very high grade of plastic I believe. At least that's how it feels.

JW1178
09-23-2012, 13:24
I'm not eligable for an upgrade yet, so I have to pass. I love my 4G and I'm so happy with it, I couldn't imagine the 5. I guess kind of like my 2002 Silverado that I love so much, the same thing when I look at a 2013 model. I do like the IOS6 features on my Iphone 4. My girl has a 4S.

Lets not let this turn into another Iphone vs. Android thread. IPhones are kind of like Glocks. Other guns have more features, and are "better" in some ways, (we know, you don't have to continue to inform us) but Glock continues to outsell them hands down. Just like IPhone, Why is that? There is a reason. Nobody cares that S&W's M&P had the interchangable backstraps first, the point is, Glock has them now. It's kind of hard to take a brand seriously that calls their systems things like "Ice Cream Sandwich" and "jelly bean". Lets just hope that IOS6 and IPhone 5 glitches aren't going to be like a 4th gen G19. I think us IPhone users understand, its the Android users that can't understand. That's why non-glock enthusiasts always have to bash Glock, they don't get it and can't understand it.

Mochahooligan
09-23-2012, 13:28
I got to the Verizion store at 9:30 they opened up at 8 and I was number 24 and I was handed my sheet as to what I wanted and they said as soon as someone is avail they will help me. 5 min later got it and I am a very happy camper!

NMGlocker
09-23-2012, 13:56
Android users will ignore the build quality because that S3 thing is made of a very high grade of plastic I believe.
So is a Glock...

Phaze5ive
09-23-2012, 13:57
No, but it's new to iOS6, and therefore to a sizable portion of the smart phone segment...

Off on a tangent to this, but my girlfriend just got OS X Mountain Lion for her notebook and she was so impressed that she could now full screen her broswer. In other words, Macs finally get F11 :rofl:

certifiedfunds
09-23-2012, 14:05
Off on a tangent to this, but my girlfriend just got OS X Mountain Lion for her notebook and she was so impressed that she could now full screen her broswer. In other words, Macs finally get F11 :rofl:

errrr, its been that way for quite some time

Thumpernator
09-23-2012, 14:11
I'm still trying to decide which way to go. Not a "fanboy" of either OS's. Glad I have to wait until December, that way there will be more feedback on the iPhone. I did find this commercial very well done.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57516072-37/samsung-slams-iphone-5-linegoers-in-new-attack-ad/

Resqu2
09-23-2012, 17:17
I'm loving mine, will love it even more when Verizon gets a texting issue fixed. I think its a good upgrade from the 4S, the LTE is unreal fast, it equals my home network, both are between 25-30 MBPS and I have coverage everywhere I'm at. The new camera is even better than I expected and the panorama is beautiful and easy to use, it's my favorite new feature of IOS6. I still am not a fan of ITunes but I work around most of it. Oh yea, the new earpods are great, went from unusable trash to something I can wear all day.

Now bring on the Green Poison and this thing will be as close to perfect as it can be.

NeverMore1701
09-23-2012, 17:38
Still be a couple of weeks before mine gets here.

Bring_it!
09-23-2012, 17:40
Preordered. Got it Friday. No negative issues yet.

Jay9928
09-23-2012, 17:43
I will wait a while till they get the bugs worked out. Happens on every new device and people want it right now.

Mrs. VR
09-23-2012, 18:47
I have the 4s and no reason to upgrade right now, so I'll just drool over everyone else's. What's up with the maps? I use google maps for work, so I'm glad I didn't update to the new iOS yet.

Resqu2
09-23-2012, 19:22
What's up with the maps? I use google maps for work, so I'm glad I didn't update to the new iOS yet.

Maps are a mess, I have seen several pics, very bad! I read that Apple has locked up the whole maps team and said the WILL fix it. They need to approve the app Google has submitted to the App Store and quick.

*ASH*
09-23-2012, 19:48
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/images7_zps8f725bb9.jpg

uhlawpup
09-23-2012, 21:00
I LOVE mine! And since it's from Verizon, it's unlocked. If they ever really make me mad, I'll pay the freight and jump ship.

So far, though, I'm happy where I am. And my computer, iPad and 5G all talk to each other through the cloud seamlessly.

686Owner
09-23-2012, 21:26
I LOVE mine! And since it's from Verizon, it's unlocked. If they ever really make me mad, I'll pay the freight and jump ship.

So far, though, I'm happy where I am. And my computer, iPad and 5G all talk to each other through the cloud seamlessly.

5g? I'm confused.

686Owner
09-23-2012, 21:28

I've been doing it on my iPhone 4 too. Google didn't invent it either.

The Maggy
09-23-2012, 21:49
I am planning on going to see if I can find me one this week. My phone is currently hanging by a thread, it is a per-andriod Samsung, and the Galaxy S3 was honestly my first choice until I picked it up. I can be a little abusive to my phones and it felt I could snap that thing in my hands.

Anyways, I was in the city this weekend and I stopped by an apple store, they laughed and asked me why I didn't pre-order one like all the other cool kids when I asked about their stock. 3-4 week wait is what they said; my local AT-T store never sold out of the whites and will have more blacks tomorrow. I guess the only downside is going to be having to deal with the awkward and pretentious apple store if I ever break the thing.

Maester Aemon
09-23-2012, 21:58
I Pre Ordered mine online on the 14th and received it the 21st. I had been holding out with my 3Gs for a while now, the 5 is a major upgrade from a 3Gs. I am very pleased with the device and new iOS.

Set up was great, turn phone on, enter at&t info, enter apple ID and restore from iCloud. all apps, contacts, emails, texts, settings, etc. all set to go.

I am also digging the new ear pods, sound quality is great and they feel more comfortable to me.

Deanster
09-23-2012, 22:26
Got mine friday morning. Pretty impressive piece of hardware. iOS 6 is a pretty minor upgrade, overall. I'm liking turn-by-turn (which should have been there from the get-go, but Google seems to have been withholding it from iOS), and so far no problems with the maps.

I really like the thin/light body of the 5. It's light enough that I darn near washed the phone because I did what I usually do, and shook a pair of shorts to make sure the phone wasn't in a pocket. The 5 is light enough to pass the test, which I'd apparently calibrated for the earlier heavy iphones. Fortunately, I noticed it wasn't at my desk and went back to retrieve it. The tall form factor is totally fine, but I notice that it puts extra pressure on a couple fingers when I'm holding it vertical. No idea how y'all with bigger phones make that work one-handed. I have big caveman hands and this phone is already at the edge of easy one-handed use for me.

LTE just turned on in Seattle on Friday, and it's a HUGE improvement. I'm torn between feeling like AT&T should have rolled it out a year ago, and it should have been in the iPhone 4S, and knowing that many/most LTE smartphones from a year ago had really awful battery life.

Overall, a substantial and worthy upgrade from the 4S. Happy I did it. Wishing iOS 6 was a bigger step forward... it shouldn't be so frickin' hard to handle files, notifications are still a mess, and icons should be 'live'. Apple really needs to get on those issues, or risk really being out of touch. I'm not a big fan of the new Windows phones overall, but the home screen is beautifully informative, and I'd really like to see more of that sort of live updating. Frankly, a static page of app icons as a home screen is damned unhelpful.

ViennaGambit
09-23-2012, 23:13
Picked mine and the wife's up Friday morning.

Had a 4 before and overall I'm somewhat pleased with the upgrade...

The battery life seems to really really drain quickly and the maps is a mess - I miss google maps. I also think the taller screen is a bit of a joke - I don't really see the added benefit of it - not any easier to read. I would have much appreciated a wider screen or a jump on par with the Galaxy S3.

The sucker is really fast though!

I have 30 days to give it a try or I may just jump ship and give the Galaxy a try... I guess I'm bored with the utter reliability and vanilla that is Iphone :)

Honestly the major thing keeping me back is that I can use iMessage to text my wife for free - we text a lot - and most of my friends are on iphone so imessage is a huge plus.

We shall see.

blueshot3
09-23-2012, 23:58
me and my wife got ours last Friday we both upgraded from 3gs phones man i really like them so far no complaints and we still have our unlimited data

Snaps
09-24-2012, 00:25
not yet, I'm still trying to decide if I'm bailing for Sprint or not to get my unlimited back.
http://i45.tinypic.com/149zec.jpg

ted1
09-24-2012, 00:57
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/images7_zps8f725bb9.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS is what you do with apples.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RHVEtte
09-24-2012, 01:00
Went in and bought one on launch day. Didn't have a preorder since it would mean giving up my unlimited data, but when I held it and found out they had one available, I ended up walking out the door with one. So far I am extremely pleased with it; the build quality, reliability, speed, and ease of use are exponentially better than the Samsung Charge that it replaced.

jtmac
09-24-2012, 01:16
I will be getting one soon.

I happened to wake up early on Friday, but not early enough to get in line. Oh, well. I just have to keep charging the weak battery on my 4 (I replaced it, but the replacement did no better).

My 4 is actually still doing great. I wouldn't bother with the 5 aside from AT&T not discounting the bill when I'm not subsidizing a phone. I'm actually not enthused by the taller screen, as it will be more awkward to reach. The aluminum back is also far more prone to casual damage (although I'm sure it stands up to dropping better than the glass). The improved front camera and the panorama feature, that I'm looking forward to.

Resqu2
09-24-2012, 03:42
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS is what you do with apples.

And jelly beans, ice cream sandwich and ginger bread :tongueout:

Case de Callier
09-24-2012, 03:56
I'm not eligable for an upgrade yet, so I have to pass. I love my 4G and I'm so happy with it, I couldn't imagine the 5. I guess kind of like my 2002 Silverado that I love so much, the same thing when I look at a 2013 model. I do like the IOS6 features on my Iphone 4. My girl has a 4S.

Lets not let this turn into another Iphone vs. Android thread. IPhones are kind of like Glocks. Other guns have more features, and are "better" in some ways, (we know, you don't have to continue to inform us) but Glock continues to outsell them hands down. Just like IPhone, Why is that? There is a reason. Nobody cares that S&W's M&P had the interchangable backstraps first, the point is, Glock has them now. It's kind of hard to take a brand seriously that calls their systems things like "Ice Cream Sandwich" and "jelly bean". Lets just hope that IOS6 and IPhone 5 glitches aren't going to be like a 4th gen G19. I think us IPhone users understand, its the Android users that can't understand. That's why non-glock enthusiasts always have to bash Glock, they don't get it and can't understand it.

Well said. :wavey:

dukeguy
09-24-2012, 04:53
Pre-ordered and got mine on Friday. In a word - elegant.

686Owner
09-24-2012, 05:17
me and my wife got ours last Friday we both upgraded from 3gs phones man i really like them so far no complaints and we still have our unlimited data

How did you keep unlimited data? Did you buy the phones outright?

ArtificialGrape
09-24-2012, 06:46
How did you keep unlimited data? Did you buy the phones outright?

I have AT&T, and I've preordered the 4, 4S, and now the 5 directly from Apple with upgrade eligible pricing and kept my unlimited data each time.

-ArtificialGrape

paynter2
09-24-2012, 06:53
I've read this thread and it seems that the new phone doesn't really offer much over the old - a little more speed... If you like it great! :wavey:

But I don't know how some people can get so excited about a phone. It's like they're 6yo and it's Christmas! I'm thinking some people are having sex with their phones... :shocked:

kensb2
09-24-2012, 06:53
I'm still up in the air on it. I have a 4, my wife the 4S. I'm eligible for an upgrade right now, but it's not in the cards financially. I think I may wait until February and see what the Galaxy S4 has to offer before I decide on my next phone.

686Owner
09-24-2012, 07:00
I've read this thread and it seems that the new phone doesn't really offer much over the old - a little more speed... If you like it great! :wavey:

But I don't know how some people can get so excited about a phone. It's like they're 6yo and it's Christmas! I'm thinking some people are having sex with their phones... :shocked:

I probably use my phone as much as anything else that I have. More than my car, as much as my computer.

Getting a new phone is like getting a new phone, mp3 player, camera, video camera, voice recorder, video player, GPS, and internet browser all at the same time.

Of course people will be excited.

PettyOfficer
09-24-2012, 07:07
I have a 4S with updated iOS 6, can't upgrade to 5 for several months, will wait for the 5S or whatever's next.

The speaker is noticeable louder and of better quality than the 4S. This is just nice for when you watch a video clip, movie trailer, whatever.

Are you sure you compared it to a 4S? The 4S sounds remarkably better than the 4 and previous models, much louder too. If the 5 was louder that would seem too loud for a phone in my book.

Maps are a mess, I have seen several pics, very bad! I read that Apple has locked up the whole maps team and said the WILL fix it. They need to approve the app Google has submitted to the App Store and quick.

Here's an interesting read: very defensive of Apple's position (Pro-Apple website of course), but brings up a few good points: maps are hard!

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/23/one-not-so-secret-reason-apple-built-its-own-maps-for-ios-6-tal/

Whatever, I'm not a fan of maps: sick of hitting the 3D button instead of centering in on where I'm at. Google Earth has better resolution, so the fly by and satellite imagery isn't a key feature.

I've had a panoramic photo app for some time (does 360 and can be pointed up and down for more details), again, not a key feature.

I'm okay loading Facebook THEN posting photos. I like keeping my contact information private and not having Facebook junk loaded into my contacts. If I want some key's info, I'll load Facebook and go get it. So Facebook interaction is not something I care about.

I LOVE finally being able to attach more than one photo per email!

AK_Stick
09-24-2012, 07:38
I broke my 3G last week. So over the weekend I took a look at new phones.

Just couldn't find anything about the 5, that I could justify the price over the $90 4S.

Goaltender66
09-24-2012, 07:44
I got 2 delivered on Friday.

I like it, but it seems that iOS6 hesitates sometimes when I hit the home button. I'll give it a few weeks and see. It might be hardware.

Try recalibrating the home button:

Go into a stock application like Safari, notes, etc.

Hold down the sleep/wake button until the power off screen appears.

Don't turn off the phone...just hold down the home button until the power off screen disappears.

This recalibrates the home button. It worked for my iPad 3when I noticed the same issue.

OlliesRevenge
09-24-2012, 07:51
I just upgraded yesterday from the AT&T iPhone 4 -- to a black 64MB Verizon iPhone 5. It was all Verizon had in stock, along with a black Otter Box hard case.

The speed difference is huge! The increased screen size matters -- and the ability to hit the mic button from texting and speak what you want to write is huge (I know this was on the 4S... but it's new to me).

I don't think mapping is all that bad, but I will miss the traffic density color coding on the map in show traffic mode... if it is truly gone. Anybody know how to enable it?

Drjones
09-24-2012, 09:08

Um....did you read my OP? The combination of faster hardware + LTE for data makes it incomparably faster than the 4S. It's already benchmarked as among the fastest - if not THE fastest - smartphone on the market.

As for the excitement, hey, it's what makes life fun. Do you take no joy in getting a new gun? New car? Anything?

Also, for me and lots of others, including many on this forum, we rely heavily on our phones. I do not have a land line and will never get one. I run my own business, which means that my iPhone IS my business, it's one of my primary business tools. I interact with my phone more than just about anything else on a daily basis, so yes, getting a new one that is such a huge upgrade is a big deal.

Lighten up. :wavey:

Drjones
09-24-2012, 09:12
Are you sure you compared it to a 4S? The 4S sounds remarkably better than the 4 and previous models, much louder too. If the 5 was louder that would seem too loud for a phone in my book.

I LOVE finally being able to attach more than one photo per email!

Yep, absolutely certain I had a 4S. The speaker on the 5 is, IMO, much more clear and if it isn't actually louder, sure sounds "bigger."

You've been able to attach multiple photos to an email in iOS for a long time, you just have to do it through the photo app; you tap the arrow button, select as many photos as you want, and hit "email". ;)

paynter2
09-24-2012, 09:40
Um....did you read my OP? The combination of faster hardware + LTE for data makes it incomparably faster than the 4S. It's already benchmarked as among the fastest - if not THE fastest - smartphone on the market.

As for the excitement, hey, it's what makes life fun. Do you take no joy in getting a new gun? New car? Anything?

Also, for me and lots of others, including many on this forum, we rely heavily on our phones. I do not have a land line and will never get one. I run my own business, which means that my iPhone IS my business, it's one of my primary business tools. I interact with my phone more than just about anything else on a daily basis, so yes, getting a new one that is such a huge upgrade is a big deal.

Lighten up. :wavey:

"Lighten up." Yah - lighten up. Actually, my post was in jest. Humor can be a difficult concept.

Besides, I said it's great that you are so excited and I used a wavey. It must have been the sex comment. Me thinks thou protest too much. :rofl:

I have gear for my profession too. And I agree, it is nice to upgrade for better performance, production. But, I don't get gaga over it.

I bought a new truck a couple of years ago and a new boat this spring. I don't think I ever posted those facts - they are just tools for my lifestyle - not icons of worship.

Re-read your OP. I think you'll see the humor that I saw in it (and others).

OlliesRevenge
09-24-2012, 10:29
I was wrong about the mapping function, it looks like the new iPhone 5 map does indeed highlight roads in traffic jam areas. If you zoom in it even shows you businesses, restaurants, etc. just like Google did. At this point I can't figure out why I heard negative things about the new mapping.

cowboy1964
09-24-2012, 10:42
The speeds they can now give you over cellular is just unbelievable.

I played with a Galaxy S III yesterday. I think I'm done with iPhones. A 4" screen just doesn't cut it for me any more.

cowboy1964
09-24-2012, 10:45
I was wrong about the mapping function, it looks like the new iPhone 5 map does indeed highlight roads in traffic jam areas. If you zoom in it even shows you businesses, restaurants, etc. just like Google did. At this point I can't figure out why I heard negative things about the new mapping.

The big problem is Apple using Yelp! instead of Google for search results. There are also various map errors. I'm sure it will get sorted out in time but frankly there was nothing wrong with Google's maps. This was strictly a play by Apple to move away from Google, just like them dropping YouTube, etc.

I noticed an error right away when I first fired up iOS6 maps. It located some business near me that wasn't even close to being correct.

Goaltender66
09-24-2012, 11:08
The big problem is Apple using Yelp! instead of Google for search results. There are also various map errors. I'm sure it will get sorted out in time but frankly there was nothing wrong with Google's maps. This was strictly a play by Apple to move away from Google, just like them dropping YouTube, etc.

I noticed an error right away when I first fired up iOS6 maps. It located some business near me that wasn't even close to being correct.

Maybe, but on the other hand there's the issue that you could get turn-by-turn navigation on Android devices, but Google's API wouldn't permit the same functionality on the maps application on iOS.

It's likely a combination of a bunch of competitive pressures, but if I were Apple I wouldn't want a core app being held hostage by Google, especially if it's neutered on iOS so as to give Android a competitive advantage.

Toyman
09-24-2012, 16:16
I picked one up, I moved the wife over from sprint, so I got the iPhone 5, giving her the 4s.

I didn't have my hopes up for much of an improvement, just a little faster and a little bigger screen. In the words of Ron White: I was wrong.

I've been astounded at how nice it is, and I'm not a big apple fan.

First, It's silly thin. Second, it's lite. I keep checking my belt to see if it's still there.

The screen is much better in direct sunlight, much more readable.

The camera is awesome, better color and faster. Better blues in the sky. Panorama is awesome. Yes, there are apps for it, but I haven't seen any that make large images. I did this one this weekend:

http://www.mikedixononline.com/IMG_0724-medium.png

The original image is 7984x2374 at 12mb - I had to crop (a lot) it to fit it across two 30" monitors.

I don't have LTE here, so I don't have anything to say about that.

Maps sucks, but they did get my street correct whereas Google and Bing are wrong. :)

Here's my list of iphone 5 improvements I jotted down from the keynote:
iPhone

Form Factor
18% thinner
20% lighter
Larger Display - 4"
44% more color saturation
Less Glare in sunlight
5th row of icons on home screen, 25% increase, plus 16 icons in application folders.

Wireless
Ultrafast Wireless + HSPA, DC-HSDPA, LTE up to 100mbps
Dynamic antenna, switches automatically

CPU/GPU
A6 chip 2x Faster CPU, 2x GPU
More energy efficient

Battery
Better battery performance

Camera
Dynamic Low Light Mode
Up to 2 f stops better in low light
Sapphire lens
Next-Generation signal processor
Spatial noise reduction
Smart Filter
40% Faster photo capture
Shared Photo Streams
Panorama, up to 28 megapixels
Improved Video stabilization
Better face detection
Facetime over cellular
720p front side camera

Audio
3 microphones instead of 2
Improved speaker, 5 magnets instead of 2
Noise cancelation on ear piece
Wideband Audio
Better earbuds

New lightning connector
80% smaller
all digital
more durable
reversible

Drjones
09-24-2012, 17:30

I think most of the outcry is from pantywaists in the cities because the new maps doesn't show any public transit data. :upeyes:

Otherwise there are some legitimate inaccuracies, such as when you Google a certain town in SC (forget which one) it takes you to a city in Colombia, South America.

So far, for my city, seems OK.....

uhlawpup
09-24-2012, 18:19
5g? I'm confused.

I'm sorry! I forgot this was 2012...

I meant to say I got the 5.

(Note to self: Make sure where you are when time traveling and posting...)

Miloe
09-24-2012, 21:01
Seeing as I'll be going from an iPhone 3, no S, just 3, I'm expecting big improvements.
I'm getting the downside to being on a family phone plan, I'm not the 'signer' and schedules have to line up for me getting a new toy.

AK_Stick
09-24-2012, 21:39
Seeing as I'll be going from an iPhone 3, no S, just 3, I'm expecting big improvements.
I'm getting the downside to being on a family phone plan, I'm not the 'signer' and schedules have to line up for me getting a new toy.

It'll be huge.

I went from a 3 to a 4S about three days ago, and it was incredible. The 5, was even faster, but they only had it in white, and I just couldn't justify the price.

NeverMore1701
09-24-2012, 21:43

I went from a 3G to a 4S, was a huge improvement, and that was before iOS6, which made stuff even faster!

g29onboard
09-24-2012, 21:44
I got mine. Had to camp out for it but Its a terrific device.

686Owner
09-24-2012, 21:49
I got to play with a 5 for a little while today. 4G LTE was nice, no buffering at all to wait for videos to load on youtube...even in high quality. Thinner and lighter, I like the size.

Looking forward to getting mine sooner or later.

686Owner
09-24-2012, 21:50
I'm sorry! I forgot this was 2012...

I meant to say I got the 5.

(Note to self: Make sure where you are when time traveling and posting...)

I was thinking maybe people were calling it 5G for 5th generation, but then realized it's the 6th phone.

ICARRY2
09-24-2012, 21:50
How is the battery life for the i5? I hear it sucks a lot of juice.

ViennaGambit
09-24-2012, 21:57
The speeds they can now give you over cellular is just unbelievable.

I played with a Galaxy S III yesterday. I think I'm done with iPhones. A 4" screen just doesn't cut it for me any more.

I made the same "mistake" of playing with the SG3... My wife and I both picked up the new Iphone 5 to replace a pair of 4s we had, but damn that bigger Samsung screen is a bigger plus to me than speed I think...

I have a month to give the Iphone 5 a whirl, but may return it for the SG3.

My biggest grip with the 5 is that my battery just drains so fast! I've turned off all the fancy **** including LTE and I still cannot get through the day with it with BASIC use - I had 5 hours 25 mins of activity and 11 hours of standby before I got below 10% - I think the batch my wife and I picked from were lemons... Visiting the genius bar tomorrow after work to see what they can do.

ViennaGambit
09-24-2012, 21:59
How is the battery life for the i5? I hear it sucks a lot of juice.

Was just posting about this above :wavey:

IT SUCKS BIG TIME and would be the reason I'd return it - both my wife and I cannot get past 6 hours of use without needing a charge and thats with all the notifications, pushes, screen brightness, location services and LTE subdued. I'm kind of thinking whats the point of the Iphone 5 if I have to turn all the fancy stuff off to get through my day with minor usage :whistling:

certifiedfunds
09-24-2012, 22:12

IT SUCKS BIG TIME and would be the reason I'd return it - both my wife and I cannot get past 6 hours of use without needing a charge and thats with all the notifications, pushes, screen brightness, location services and LTE subdued. I'm kind of thinking whats the point of the Iphone 5 if I have to turn all the fancy stuff off to get through my day with minor usage :whistling:

As much as I enjoy my IP4, I have to say the battery life blows. I use a mophie air and use both charges most days.

My IP5 doesn't come in till mid October, which is fine because I really don't want it until the mophie case is out.

Resqu2
09-25-2012, 04:04

You must have a bad battery, the only thing I don't use which does affect battery is push email, I keep mine on fetch and just check whenever I want to. Mine came off charger at 6am yesterday and had 46% when I plugged it up at 10 last night. I am actually getting better life than on the 4S. Go see Apple and post back, good luck!

Low_Speed
09-25-2012, 04:44

You could do that before Mountain Lion.

Low_Speed
09-25-2012, 04:51

People tend to have short memories but when Google maps first came out it was a total mess too. 1.0 items rarely come out being very good. I'm sure Apple will get it right. Hopefully before IOs 7.

brisk21
09-25-2012, 07:59
Well I've been an Android user for almost 4 years now. I am actually considering trying the Iphone 5. My reason is that I want a phone that can actually take good pictures. I am so sick of the crappy cameras that cant capture ANY movement. So many blurry and out of focus pictures. To get a good pic with my Droid Bionic, lighting has to be perfect, and things have to be still. Its really annoying. I have young kids, and I want to be able to capture certain moments with a good camera on my phone. I have discovered that the camera quality is one of the most important aspects to my phone. I may have to eat alot of my words typed on Glocktalk in the past and try the new Iphone. I'll probably try to hide my phone from everyone!!

m51
09-25-2012, 08:08
Android users will ignore the build quality because that S3 thing is made of a very high grade of plastic I believe. At least that's how it feels.

I have an S2 and it does not scratch easily, unless you really try hard. My nephew got the new 5, opened the box and it was scratched on the back from the factory. Now the new replacement he has had since Friday, the back and edges are already scratched. I think Apple should have had the Chinese test it a little more before release. My S2 does not have the strongest battery life, but I can live with it. Love the Andriod market, so many great free apps.

hamster
09-25-2012, 08:13
Well I've been an Android user for almost 4 years now. I am actually considering trying the Iphone 5. My reason is that I want a phone that can actually take good pictures. I am so sick of the crappy cameras that cant capture ANY movement. So many blurry and out of focus pictures. To get a good pic with my Droid Bionic, lighting has to be perfect, and things have to be still. Its really annoying. I have young kids, and I want to be able to capture certain moments with a good camera on my phone. I have discovered that the camera quality is one of the most important aspects to my phone. I may have to eat alot of my words typed on Glocktalk in the past and try the new Iphone. I'll probably try to hide my phone from everyone!!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus currently, but should have my IP5 later today. The nexus camera isn't bad, but even my wife's IP4 takes much better photos.

I'm in a similar boat as you. When I'm with the kids, I don't want to schlep the DSLR everywhere so a pretty nice camera function is nice to have I guess.

Your happyness with IP5 will depend on what type of Android user you are. If you just use the phone, download apps etc you'll be happy. If you are the guy who likes to flash 6 different roms, play with NFC stickers, change themes once a week, set up elaborate tasker profiles etc... then you'll have IP5.

brisk21
09-25-2012, 09:13
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus currently, but should have my IP5 later today. The nexus camera isn't bad, but even my wife's IP4 takes much better photos.

I'm in a similar boat as you. When I'm with the kids, I don't want to schlep the DSLR everywhere so a pretty nice camera function is nice to have I guess.

Your happyness with IP5 will depend on what type of Android user you are. If you just use the phone, download apps etc you'll be happy. If you are the guy who likes to flash 6 different roms, play with NFC stickers, change themes once a week, set up elaborate tasker profiles etc... then you'll have IP5.

Yes I know. Im pretty well versed with smartphones. I have learned alot about what I need a smartphone for. Im not a hacker, even though Ive rooted a couple phones. I don't. I dont care about all the custom roms and all that. I hate to admit it, but Im leaning towards the new Iphone.

686Owner
09-25-2012, 09:33
I still wouldn't expect too much out of the iPhone 5 camera. I'm sure it's improved, but you just can't overcome the laws of physics. Small camera phone sensors are just noisier than the larger sensors in real cameras.

brisk21
09-25-2012, 09:40
I still wouldn't expect too much out of the iPhone 5 camera. I'm sure it's improved, but you just can't overcome the laws of physics. Small camera phone sensors are just noisier than the larger sensors in real cameras.

I don't really expect alot. All I expect is one that takes good pictures that can handle things moving without blur. I don't think that is too much to ask.

silvrevo
09-25-2012, 11:09

Have you tired an 4s camera?

It blows away my dedicated digi cam. FAST FAST FAST!

Great pics,, I mean really great pics.

Its the top comment I make to anyone that asks,, how do you like your 4s?

My I5 is coming fed Ex today,, and I can barley wait!!!!!!!!!

686Owner
09-25-2012, 11:21
I don't really expect alot. All I expect is one that takes good pictures that can handle things moving without blur. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Even the iPhone 4 can take good pictures in good light. Asking a camera to be able to have enough shutter speed to be able to take non-noisey and non-blurry pictures in low light is pretty much the hardest thing to ask a camera to do. And the flashes have been pretty weak on phones so far. With my 50D and 85mm f/1.2 lens I can hold real still and get an indoor picture that's not blurry with no flash. That setup cost about $2800 new.

I expect an evolution, but I don't expect the iPhone 5 to blow me away. I haven't looked up any reviews of the camera yet.

harlenm
09-25-2012, 11:50
Have you tired an 4s camera?

It blows away my dedicated digi cam. FAST FAST FAST!

Great pics,, I mean really great pics.

Its the top comment I make to anyone that asks,, how do you like your 4s?

My I5 is coming fed Ex today,, and I can barley wait!!!!!!!!!

The camera on the 4S isn't bad, the camera on the 4 is awful. I'm very happy with the camera on my Galaxy S 3. I bought the 5 for my wife just because the camera on the 4 is so bad.

certifiedfunds
09-25-2012, 12:33
Even the iPhone 4 can take good pictures in good light. Asking a camera to be able to have enough shutter speed to be able to take non-noisey and non-blurry pictures in low light is pretty much the hardest thing to ask a camera to do. And the flashes have been pretty weak on phones so far. With my 50D and 85mm f/1.2 lens I can hold real still and get an indoor picture that's not blurry with no flash. That setup cost about $2800 new.

I expect an evolution, but I don't expect the iPhone 5 to blow me away. I haven't looked up any reviews of the camera yet.

At a kids birthday party, I have my D90. But a lot of life happens between those special occasions when I'm carrying a real camera. Having a decent quality iphone camera is worth its weight in gold. I'd much rather capture the memory with a "meh" quality photo than not capture it at all.

The video has been worth the price of 20 iphones.

profiler999
09-25-2012, 13:05
I want an I5. Just can't find one and don't want to wait. I'm more of an impulse buyer.

Sent by carrier pigeon. Don't look up.

ghostman1960
09-25-2012, 20:34
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/546186_358126344271707_1741210615_n.jpg

OrangeJoe
09-26-2012, 05:44
I want an I5. Just can't find one and don't want to wait. I'm more of an impulse buyer.

Sent by carrier pigeon. Don't look up.

Ask around, there were plenty of them available this weekend in Atlanta, GA (multiple co-worker's first hand reports).

None in West Virginia... They certainly did not sell out like the last one did.

Drjones
10-04-2012, 18:26
Bump...

Gun Shark
10-04-2012, 18:34
I want one as well, but can't find any at all. Well a couple of stores had the 64gb model, but that's more memory than I need and I can't see myself spending $400 on something I can't rationalize myself needing.

Jay9928
10-04-2012, 19:04
I want one as well, but can't find any at all. Well a couple of stores had the 64gb model, but that's more memory than I need and I can't see myself spending $400 on something I can't rationalize myself needing.

64 would be great for me. I have a buttload of digital copy movies I downloaded into iTunes, and no room on my 16 gig regular 4 :(

Gun Shark
10-04-2012, 19:23
64 would be great for me. I have a buttload of digital copy movies I downloaded into iTunes, and no room on my 16 gig regular 4 :(

32 would be optimal for me, but unfortunately due to circumstances I can only get the 16. I have another iPod so I don't have too many songs on my iPod just a bunch of apps.