My first 1911 - Springfield Operator [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first 1911 - Springfield Operator

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 11:34
Well guys, I've been wanting a 1911 for a while now, an operator specifically, in the year I've been looking to at least get the chance to handle one, no such luck. I had pretty much told myself no more guns until summer comes around and of course I walk into my range/ gun store yesterday to shoot and guess whats sitting in the Springfield case. I said screw it and decided to get it. I've never even shot a 45 in my life so I'm not sure what to expect. What I've noticed so far is that the trigger is amazing, nice clean break, the gun points naturally, and it's super comfortable in my hand. I'm used to shooting my Glock 19 and my ruger 22/45 so hopefully I'll be able to cope with the recoil quickly. I haven't shot it yet, going to figure out how to field strip her and then clean and oil it up! I got a bore snake, some ammo and snap caps, I'll get some more mags soon, nighthawk was suggested? Any other recommendations fellas?
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0394_zpsdaeb11ea.jpg
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0396_zpsb5dc58b7.jpg
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0399_zps1f2b73bf.jpghttp://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0403_zpsae5c9e02.jpg

bac1023
09-23-2012, 11:51
Congrats! :cool:

Looking forward to the pics. :)

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 12:16
Congrats! :cool:

Looking forward to the pics. :)

Thanks BAC!

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 12:24
So I just figured out how to detail strip it, HOLY CRAP THERE IS A TON OF OIL IN THIS!!! Had a quick question, there are 3 numbers etched into the inside of the slide on the part below the firing pin channel, looks like it was done with an engraving tool, by a child, lol, any info on what this is for? I'm guessing I should go heavy on the oil?

Glockdude1
09-23-2012, 12:35
Congrats!!

There several of us here that own Springfield Operators.
http://i40.tinypic.com/10naloy.jpg

My Operator has the same engraving as yours. The three numbers on mine, are the last 3 numbers of the serial number.

Mags. I use Wilson 47D's.

:cool:

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 12:39
Congrats!!

There several of us here that own Springfield Operators.
http://i40.tinypic.com/10naloy.jpg

My Operator has the same engraving as yours. The three numbers on mine, are the last 3 numbers of the serial number.

Mags. I use Wilson 47D's.

Nice! Thanks for the info! I'll be getting some more mags soon here.

jg420
09-23-2012, 13:09
Congrats on your first 1911, a great choice with the Springer Operator. The recoil will probably be alot less than you are expecting since 1911's have more weight to them. Wilson Combat mags also get the vote from me. Shoot the hell out of it and watch out because you have just taken the first step towards a serious addiction.

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 13:21
Congrats on your first 1911, a great choice with the Springer Operator. The recoil will probably be alot less than you are expecting since 1911's have more weight to them. Wilson Combat mags also get the vote from me. Shoot the hell out of it and watch out because you have just taken the first step towards a serious addiction.

Great, I thought I had it bad after building my first AR, there is no cure for the addiction! I was thinking about the felt recoil considering the operator is on the heavy side, I know it's not going to be an issue, just gotta learn about it. I'll be shooting the absolute living hell out of her next weekend!

TxGlock9
09-23-2012, 13:53
MC Operators were always a pleasure to shoot. at 20yards off hand groupings were always in the 4-5inch spread for me and my girl back 5-6 years ago.. Haven't shot one since then..

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 14:28
Quick question, I field stripped the gun, cleaned it, applied oil, put it back together, everything seems to be functioning fine, I do notice when I rack the slide and let it RTB slowly, it seems like it has a little friction, it feels normal if i rack it and let it rtb without me guiding it there. Is this normal?

Glockdude1
09-23-2012, 14:48
Quick question, I field stripped the gun, cleaned it, applied oil, put it back together, everything seems to be functioning fine, I do notice when I rack the slide and let it RTB slowly, it seems like it has a little friction, it feels normal if i rack it and let it rtb without me guiding it there. Is this normal?

After 300rd's, your Operator will feel as smooth as glass.

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 15:02
After 300rd's, your Operator will feel as smooth as glass.

That's what I suspected, thanks for the info!

faawrenchbndr
09-23-2012, 15:03
Very nice,........congrats!

Grease the rails, oil everywhere else!
I prefer SlideGlide & Slip 2000 EWL

catalyst686
09-23-2012, 15:10
Very nice,........congrats!

Grease the rails, oil everywhere else!
I prefer SlideGlide & Slip 2000 EWL

I've got hoppe's and CLP, does everyone seriously lube these like there's no tmrw or what? Are 1911's meant to run wet? I'm so used to putting light layers of lube on my glock, I'd feel weird spreading it heavy haha.

jg420
09-23-2012, 15:12
I've got hoppe's and CLP, does everyone seriously lube these like there's no tmrw or what? Are 1911's meant to run wet? I'm so used to putting light layers of lube on my glock, I'd feel weird spreading it heavy haha.

Some may, but I do not. I just use CLP on mine and have never had any issues with any of my 1911's that were not related to my reloads. They are not AR's lol

steve1911
09-24-2012, 01:34
Congrats! on your operator.

1911club#410

Kingfish1
09-24-2012, 01:45
Congrats. Good choice.:highfive:

MikeG36
09-24-2012, 01:53
Congrats. That's a really nice shooting pistol.

ca survivor
09-24-2012, 15:04
Congrats!

R0CKETMAN
09-24-2012, 17:28
Badass first 1911. You even had sense to throw a light on for pics. Good job

knedrgr
09-24-2012, 19:37
That's a hell of a gun. Congrats.

CA_DUDE
09-25-2012, 08:42
Congrats! My MCO was my mythic beast for a long time. I finally got one and it definitely susrpassed my expectations. Certainly the nicest 1911 I've had up to that price point. I have been using CMC 8 rd mags with bumpers and they have run flawlessly. Take that thing out and enjoy the hell out of it.

catalyst686
09-26-2012, 00:28
Anyone have suggestions on anything I need to tweak or upgrade? I've been admiring the fit and finish on this gun since I got it, I plan on shooting it this weekend. I'm totally new to 1911's so forgive me if some of the questions sound dumb, I've noticed it's pretty hard to rack the slide if the hammer is not back, and the thumb safety requires quite a bit amount of force to engage, (pretty smooth and easy to disengage), I'm just wondering if it'll get easier to rack the slide if the hammer is not down, and disengage the thumb safety, after I put a few hundred threw her. My last question, I know about the "idiot mark" that one can make on their 1911, after I stripped her and oiled it up, I noticed it was pretty difficult to get the slide stop back in without having to press that detent in pretty dang hard with my fingernail, is there any easier way to go about this?

nastytrigger
09-26-2012, 00:41
Anyone have suggestions on anything I need to tweak or upgrade? I've been admiring the fit and finish on this gun since I got it, I plan on shooting it this weekend. I'm totally new to 1911's so forgive me if some of the questions sound dumb, I've noticed it's pretty hard to rack the slide if the hammer is not back, and the thumb safety requires quite a bit amount of force to engage, (pretty smooth and easy to disengage), I'm just wondering if it'll get easier to rack the slide if the hammer is not down, and disengage the thumb safety, after I put a few hundred threw her.

Pretty typical experiences. My SA was and is still pretty tight to rack when the hammers not cocked.

As for the thumb safety, engaging the safety will be somewhat tighter than disengaging. Definite clicks heard going into both positions?

It'll all slightly loosen over time.

Glockdude1
09-26-2012, 05:55
Anyone have suggestions on anything I need to tweak or upgrade? I've been admiring the fit and finish on this gun since I got it, I plan on shooting it this weekend. I'm totally new to 1911's so forgive me if some of the questions sound dumb, I've noticed it's pretty hard to rack the slide if the hammer is not back, and the thumb safety requires quite a bit amount of force to engage, (pretty smooth and easy to disengage), I'm just wondering if it'll get easier to rack the slide if the hammer is not down, and disengage the thumb safety, after I put a few hundred threw her. My last question, I know about the "idiot mark" that one can make on their 1911, after I stripped her and oiled it up, I noticed it was pretty difficult to get the slide stop back in without having to press that detent in pretty dang hard with my fingernail, is there any easier way to go about this?

Upgrade? Nothing needed on the Mc Operator

Slide stop back in place. I use my Glock take down tool to press the detent pin to lock the slide stop back in place. With the the Glock tool, I can easily avoid the "idiot mark" on the frame.

ColdBlooded
09-26-2012, 08:51
I recently purchased a new MC Operator, and I love it. However, I also had two annoyances.

I also had trouble reinstalling my slide stop, as the plunger must be depressed before three slide stop will seat.

One other thing I noticed was when operating the thumb safety, from weak side, it will hang up about 3/4 of the way and give false feedback indicating I have disengaged the safety. It requires either a much stronger depression than is required by the strong side, or it will bind. I was hoping it would smooth out, but has not over the last few weeks.

Otherwise, it has been great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III.

catalyst686
09-26-2012, 14:03
I recently purchased a new MC Operator, and I love it. However, I also had two annoyances.

I also had trouble reinstalling my slide stop, as the plunger must be depressed before three slide stop will seat.

One other thing I noticed was when operating the thumb safety, from weak side, it will hang up about 3/4 of the way and give false feedback indicating I have disengaged the safety. It requires either a much stronger depression than is required by the strong side, or it will bind. I was hoping it would smooth out, but has not over the last few weeks.

Otherwise, it has been great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the false feedback. I noticed when disengaging the safety, if it is not done quickly, I get a little bit of a gritty feeling, I noticed my left thumb, when in the thumbs forwards position on the gun, sits higher than I would like on this gun, which sometimes interferes with disengaging the safety properly. I know the issue is because I've never had a gun with a larger thumb safety like this 1911, I'll be able to fix this issue with a little bit of muscle memory training. :cool:

porschedog
09-28-2012, 17:20
I've got the same slide lock reinstall issue on my Range Officer - I think it's a 1911 thing

catalyst686
09-29-2012, 17:01
Took her to the range today, all I can say is wow! I shoot it more accurately than my G19 which I have tons of practice with. My friend I went shooting with, along with myself, agree that it feels less snappy compared to our polymer frame 9mm pistols. I honestly was not expecting the gun to have such little recoil. I love the groups I was producing. I'm really glad I got this gun, its for sure my favorite!

ilgunguygt
09-29-2012, 17:38
Took her to the range today, all I can say is wow! I shoot it more accurately than my G19 which I have tons of practice with. My friend I went shooting with, along with myself, agree that it feels less snappy compared to our polymer frame 9mm pistols. I honestly was not expecting the gun to have such little recoil. I love the groups I was producing. I'm really glad I got this gun, its for sure my favorite!

Welcome to the world of 1911s!:wavey:

The first time I shot one I was like "Whoa, I'm a pretty decent shot!"

catalyst686
09-29-2012, 17:51
Welcome to the world of 1911s!:wavey:

The first time I shot one I was like "Whoa, I'm a pretty decent shot!"

No kidding, yea, I can see myself getting into an "accuracy" phase now, haha

Glockdude1
09-30-2012, 05:31
The 230 grain Golden Sabers shoot great out of the Mc Operator.

Clutch Cargo
09-30-2012, 06:27
Excellent choice for entering the realm of 1911.

ThatGuyDave
09-30-2012, 09:31
Beautiful! Much jealousy over here!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2