auto disk w/ charge bar throwing poorly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : auto disk w/ charge bar throwing poorly

minkis18
09-23-2012, 18:42
i've been loading with Unique for 38sp for a few months now but when I tried to get my lee auto disk with the charge bar to throw 5.3gr of Unique, it instead gave me everything from 5.0-5.5gr! it's been within .1gr with every other load until now.

could my powder just be getting too humid? my house has been rather humid for the last few months. Should I just get a better powder measure? it's on a Lee Classic Turret

Note that charge spread was just within approx 30 cases charged for testing. Half of them I didn't let the press turn and the other half I did in order to see if the shaking of the turret turning had an effect, which didn't seem to be the case. I was loading 4.3gr just fine but as soon as I tired to load my next batch it got crazy.

sig357fan
09-23-2012, 23:43
been my experiance that the charge bar dosn't like anything but ball powder,

retry your disk to see if you can throw as accuratly as you have in the past.

sig357fan

WiskyT
09-24-2012, 05:59
been my experiance that the charge bar dosn't like anything but ball powder,

retry your disk to see if you can throw as accuratly as you have in the past.

sig357fan

Yup. try the 0.66cc cavity instead of that gimmicky adjustable charge bar. It was a real bad idea of Lee's. It causes all kinds of problems and then people think the measure itself is a bad design. I'm talking about people generally, not you specifically. The Autodisk is a great measure when used with the disks. Then Lee goes and puts out the adjustable unit, which defeats the purpose of the disk system in the first place, and people have problems and think the meausre is junk. It's like a touchdown called back for holding.

Kentguy
09-24-2012, 06:50
minkis18,

I run a dehumidifier in my reloading room even though it is dry and I still get the same thing as you have - happen to me. I pitched the adjustable charge bar (never had any success with it) and stay with the disks.

Even with the disk system some powders I have used just don't seem to meter that well and others are spot on. I have noticed this with my single stage press and manual powder dispenser as well although not as much.

My only thoughts are first... check the obvious, make sure your scale is calibrated & "0'ed", make sure your powder dispenser is clean before using it... you know the drill.

Good luck

ColoCG
09-24-2012, 08:33
Yup. try the 0.66cc cavity instead of that gimmicky adjustable charge bar. It was a real bad idea of Lee's. It causes all kinds of problems and then people think the measure itself is a bad design. I'm talking about people generally, not you specifically. The Autodisk is a great measure when used with the disks. Then Lee goes and puts out the adjustable unit, which defeats the purpose of the disk system in the first place, and people have problems and think the meausre is junk. It's like a touchdown called back for holding.

^^^This ^^^ Do what WiskyT says and use the .66cc cavity, it should be about 5.2 of Unique. And always rotate your Turret thru all 4 positions before you weigh your charge as you are correct, it will settle the powder some and change your powder throws slightly if you change the consistancy of the rotating Turret.

And if your powder is getting affected by the humidity in AZ. what are the rest of us going to do. :supergrin:

minkis18
09-24-2012, 19:54
Thanks guys :-) I went back to the disks before even seeing the replies and just loaded 100 (well, minus one for a smashed primer) with only a +/- .1gr variance. I do wish the disks had more choices but it works. I still want the pro auto disk just for the hopper cut off!

My house was super humid during July, I think the monsoon season was just too much for my 45 year old house. It was 60% for a while...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WiskyT
09-24-2012, 20:03
The Pro upgrade is nice for a lot of reasons. The rubber wiper helps a lot with fine powders to prevent leaking, but with Unique it isn't an issue either way. The hopper shut off and thumb screws make cavity changes much faster.

Colorado4Wheel
09-25-2012, 10:20
Easy enough.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3512.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3510.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
09-25-2012, 10:22
Tap, Set Screw, Little dab of JB Weld in the cavity on the end of the set screw, Teflon tap to make it hold nice and tight.

Uncle Don
09-26-2012, 05:02
Maybe I just missed it - what is the modification for?

Colorado4Wheel
09-26-2012, 06:18
That allows you to make minor changes in charges using the autodisc.

Uncle Don
09-26-2012, 12:30
Hmm, I've not found that necessary, but to each their own.

sig357fan
09-26-2012, 12:56
Tap, Set Screw, Little dab of JB Weld in the cavity on the end of the set screw, Teflon tap to make it hold nice and tight.

minkis18,

figured C4W would come along and share his fix, thou I've not tried it, it does seem like a good fix.

Steve,

is the set screw in the cavity adjustable? I can see the dap of JB weld on the end of the set screw in the first picture, is that just to make a smooth, rounded end?

sig357fan

Colorado4Wheel
09-26-2012, 13:06
Set screw is adjustable. So you get exactly what you want. The screw is too loose if you don't use some teflon tape. With the tap it's nice and tight. But I would keep a eye on it as you would with any adjustable charge setup. I would only make small changes to the cavity. If you have a lot of the screw sticking in the cavity it won't be as consistent. But you can defiantly make a larger cavity read pretty close to the size below it and get plenty of adjustment out of it to fine tune a load.

Colorado4Wheel
09-26-2012, 13:08
Hmm, I've not found that necessary, but to each their own.

I used it to get a near MAX load for my 10mm. It's not needed but it is nice to have adjustability. It was basically free as I had the parts already.