Ever bought something back you sold long ago? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever bought something back you sold long ago?

Mr. Niceguy
09-23-2012, 19:34
The coolest thing I could have imagined happened to me tonight.

I began playing the string bass at the age of eight in the school orchestra, and with all the great rock bass guitar influences in the mid 1970's, my interests quickly turned to the electric bass. I was elated when in 1978 my parents bought me a bass guitar for my tenth birthday - a Matsumoku neck-through, branded under the name Memphis. I played it constantly up in my bedroom, with friends in garage bands here and there, and at the occasional informal gig. With my bass in my hands, I was Gene Simmons, Geddy Lee, and John Paul Jones combined, at least in my own mind. I sold my bass in 1987 for $50 just before shipping out for Ft. Benning, thinking my playing days were over.

As it turned out, my playing days continued years later and to this day, mainly for my own personal enjoyment, and as a form of meditation. I've got a handful of nice and very playable basses, but have missed my old bass for quite some time. For the past several years, I would occasionally search the web/ebay, etc. for a bass like my old one, thinking I might pick one up if I ever ran across it, just to satisfy my nostalgia. It turns out that not only could I not locate one for sale, but couldn't even find a photo of that model on the web. I had pretty much given up hope of even catching a glimpse of a bass like mine ever again.

I was surprised this evening when a half-hearted search revealed a bass just like my old one for sale on ebay. It was a trip down memory lane just seeing the pictures. I was also amazed at the price these things seemed to command these days. I grudgingly decided that a replica of my childhood was not worth the asking price, and I meant it.

Not ready to let go of the memories just yet, I continued to gaze at the photos. I zoomed in to better see all the details that were buried so far in the back of my mind, when I saw a very distinct and familiar blemish on the guitar. It was a mark I put there thirty years ago in a moment of clumsiness. This was my old bass, complete in the original case, three states away. I was now prepared to pay the full asking price, but chanced an offer that was quickly accepted by the seller. It will be in transit to me tomorrow.

When it arrives, I'm going to string it up with the same GHS Boomers it wore, and that sounded so thunderous on it, so many years ago. I'm going to rest it on my knee, and play it into the long hours of the night. But this time I won't be imagining myself to be some rock icon. I'll be that ten year old me, just as excited to hold it as I was the very first time.

I can't wait.

ilgunguygt
09-23-2012, 19:46
That is AWESOME!!! Congrats, I hope it brings back many memories.

concretefuzzynuts
09-23-2012, 19:52
That is a good story, thanks for telling us.

sciolist
09-23-2012, 20:06
Great story - congrats.

frizz
09-23-2012, 20:12
I sold a '69 Flying V once when I was 17, and then found it for sale again a year later. My friend had a b-day party where I played Happy Birthday on it through a 65W amp (in a small den!) and that gained the attention of an artsy hippie-ish chick. She was a freak. A superfreak. She was super freaky.

HollowHead
09-23-2012, 20:18
I bought a '76 X-1/9 last year just like the one I had in high school thirty-five years ago with the intent of a full restoration. What I forgot however, was that even back then they were a complete piece of ****. It's now on Craigslist... HH

Geeorge
09-24-2012, 03:41
And some people get married to one another more than once with divorces in between.

Glad you were reunited.

Berto
12-01-2012, 15:37
I never saw this thread. VERY cool story.
Handsome bass guitar too.

Mr. Niceguy
12-01-2012, 15:38
Thought I would post an update. We're enjoying each other's company once again. Pic:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229384&d=1354401161

G19Tony
12-01-2012, 15:40
Great story. I'm very happy for you. :cool:

If I could find my 68 Cougar XR7, I would buy it. That would be :cool: too.

Breadman03
12-01-2012, 17:22
That is just cool.

I've been keeping half an eye out for a Gremlin X with a Corvette 350 and a Hurst 4 on the floor. My Dad sold it to have room for me and I would love to drop it off in his driveway if I ever see it.

janice6
12-01-2012, 17:31
Excellent story.

Sometimes memories are worth any price.

9jeeps
12-01-2012, 18:11
Love it!! Great Pix!!!!!!

Road Dog
12-01-2012, 18:38
Congrats Mr. Niceguy!

Haldor
12-02-2012, 05:37
I bought a '76 X-1/9 last year just like the one I had in high school thirty-five years ago with the intent of a full restoration. What I forgot however, was that even back then they were a complete piece of ****. It's now on Craigslist... HH

They are really neat looking cars. Italian styling, unfortunately combined with Italian engineering. I wonder if you could treat it like a kit car and put a VW Bug underneath it.

http://www.motorstown.com/images/fiat-x19-04.jpg

Haldor
12-02-2012, 05:41
Thought I would post an update. We're enjoying each other's company once again. Pic:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229384&d=1354401161

How does it play? I have always been leery of neck-through instruments since you have less options to fixing problems with the neck. A good friend of mine make custom bases and he has stopped making neck through instruments for that very reason.

https://www.facebook.com/eshenbaughguitars

Mr. Niceguy
12-02-2012, 07:02
How does it play? I have always been leery of neck-through instruments since you have less options to fixing problems with the neck. A good friend of mine make custom bases and he has stopped making neck through instruments for that very reason.

https://www.facebook.com/eshenbaughguitars

It's funny you ask. I didn't know enough about guitars back then to know at the time if the guitar was decent, or a complete piece of junk, so I was taking a risk buying it back that all I'd be getting was a few memories. It turned out that the bass is still in excellent shape - neck straight, electronics all good, etc. the neck is a little thick for my taste, but the sound is deep and very rich, and the sustain is just unbelievable. I agree that neck-throughs are more likely to be unfixabe if a problem with the neck arises, but it contributes to the overall tone and adds sustain.