Anyone used Windows 8 yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Windows 8 yet?

cowboy1964
09-24-2012, 13:03
I have serious doubts about this new start screen crap. Their mobile phone OS is a dud so, what, they are going to extend that failure to the desktop??

Plus, they are removing widgets. So how do I get the same type of functionality? Widgets are one of the reasons I run multiple monitors.

I may be sticking with Windows 7 for a looong time.

NeverMore1701
09-24-2012, 13:07
Looks terrible to me.

KNAK
09-24-2012, 13:55
Yes, I've been using it for a while, don't like it! Hate the "desktop" icons for everything.

garyo
09-24-2012, 15:13
I can't wait to get my Windows smart phone! The joys of the Windows desktop brought to a smartphone, I'm just giddy thinking about it.

glock_19guy1983
09-24-2012, 15:19
I can't wait to get my Windows smart phone! The joys of the Windows desktop brought to a smartphone, I'm just giddy thinking about it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jason D
09-25-2012, 17:14
Nope.

I hated Win 7 at first and went back to XP for a couple years.
I have only been using Win 7 for the last couple months. I plan on using this OS for the next decade.

Glock20 10mm
09-25-2012, 17:31

The sarcasm... I cut it with my Sgian-dubh!

Cwlongshot
09-25-2012, 17:33
I just today got a machine with W7!!!

LOL

CW

boozer
09-25-2012, 18:02
I used the "pre-release" version of 8 for a while.

The Metro interface was annoying.

The desktop was W7.

Every time I wanted to do something, that stupid blocky interface would jump up, if I used an application on the Metro interface, it wouldn't stop.

Win 8 is obviously a tablet OS.

I've been using W7 for two years now, very decent OS.

When W8 comes out, there will be a workstation version for people with real computers.

soulxfer
10-15-2012, 19:55
Using it for few months now, IMHO it is a winner and necessary upgrade from XP to Windows 7. It is just faster, quicker and productive than Windows 7 but also touch friendly and nicer interface.

I would recommend trying it out for a month objectively, you will not regret. Just make sure you know the basic navigation stuff on the new start screen. All the screen corners are important, and so is the Win key. Nothing else is their to learn.

-Left click on bottom left corner takes you to main screen
-Right click on bottom left corner opens up menu to access all Windows utilities
-Hover on top left opens task bar, so quickly switch tasks by clicking top left corner
-Hover on top right opens the charms bar, so context sensitive search, settings, shutdown is accessible there
-Left click on bottom right is for Symantec zoom, quick access to group of tiles

Osborne
10-15-2012, 19:59
I already went back to Windows 7.

Luckily I got Windows 8 professional for free from my college, I don't recommend buying it.

UtahIrishman
10-15-2012, 20:14
I'm running it on a virtual box at work.
I think I would like it for a tablet, but unless there's something under the hood I'm missing, it isn't ready for the corporate desktop.

blastfact
10-15-2012, 20:39
I'm still running XP Pro 64 bit on a old quad core way oc'ed on water. A hacked up old school cell phone that interfaces with my main NIX dual core box thats oc'ed on water.

What new OS again? Give me bad ass video cards or old school fat pipe cpu's. OS is like,,, how do you boot it up for the stupid in the world....

Historian
10-15-2012, 21:05
I already went back to Windows 7.

Luckily I got Windows 8 professional for free from my college, I don't recommend buying it.

Oh yeah. I dropped it on a machine as a virtual desktop. It took me about 10 seconds to look over the new AOL 1996 look and torch the machine.

The only reason to put Windows 8 on a PC is to give you something to do later when you install a real OS.

faawrenchbndr
10-16-2012, 02:13
Nope,......went ALL Apple! Have not ever been happier!

LL6
10-16-2012, 05:22
Nope,......went ALL Apple! Have not ever been happier!
Nothing with an "i" in my house. Won't ever be if I can help it. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/wavey%5B1%5D.gif

Toyman
10-16-2012, 07:19
I'm basically a Windows fan, but I also use a Mac, and use an iPhone/iPad, so I'm not strictly one platform. I like to use what works best for the task I'm doing.

I've installed Windows 8 in a VM for Windows App Certification testing for our apps.

I hate it.

This is Microsoft's attempt to make a single OS that can run on a tablet and a desktop. They've gutted all the nice UI stuff (Aero) from Windows 7 and replaced it with a fisher price type interface that can run fast enough on low powered ARM processors.

It sucks.

I like to have minimal icons on the desktop, using a menu (like the start menu) to access infrequently used programs.

Where Windows 8 falls short is for the power user. I've got 4 monitors, do they really think the big ugly dummy tiles works well for that?

I used XP for over 10 years, I suspect I'll be using Windows 7 for quite a while.

jtauke
10-16-2012, 08:20
Nope.

I hated Win 7 at first and went back to XP for a couple years.
I have only been using Win 7 for the last couple months. I plan on using this OS for the next decade.

As a Computer Technician, I'd advise against deciding that until you know exactly how long Microsoft will continue to support the product (win 7) with security patches.

jtauke
10-16-2012, 08:24
I'm basically a Windows fan, but I also use a Mac, and use an iPhone/iPad, so I'm not strictly one platform. I like to use what works best for the task I'm doing.

I've installed Windows 8 in a VM for Windows App Certification testing for our apps.

I hate it.

This is Microsoft's attempt to make a single OS that can run on a tablet and a desktop. They've gutted all the nice UI stuff (Aero) from Windows 7 and replaced it with a fisher price type interface that can run fast enough on low powered ARM processors.

It sucks.

I like to have minimal icons on the desktop, using a menu (like the start menu) to access infrequently used programs.

Where Windows 8 falls short is for the power user. I've got 4 monitors, do they really think the big ugly dummy tiles works well for that?

I used XP for over 10 years, I suspect I'll be using Windows 7 for quite a while.

The tile interface is basically just a blown up start menu. Your primary interface is still meant to be the "desktop". As tablets and smartphones become more prevalent in the workplace, it's good for Microsoft to have a platform that they can spread across all hardware types.

Taphius
10-16-2012, 14:51
Been using it since consumer preview came out on my netbook. Works very well on it.

Will have to see how it does on my secondary desktop

sputnik767
10-16-2012, 15:29
I have serious doubts about this new start screen crap. Their mobile phone OS is a dud so, what, they are going to extend that failure to the desktop??

Plus, they are removing widgets. So how do I get the same type of functionality? Widgets are one of the reasons I run multiple monitors.

First off, just because Windows Phone OS didn't sell too well does not mean that it's a bad OS. It's only failure was trying to compete in a segment that is dominated by Android and iOS to a lesser extent. When the #3 spot only encompasses roughly 15% of the marketplace, you have a long mountain to climb. For the record, all of the Windows Phone OS reviews that I've seen were rather positive. The problem is that for someone like me, to switch to a different system when I am very happy with what I currently have (Android), it would take a colossal failure on part of Android. Not to mention that once you are used to the power and capabilities of open-source, it's impossible to go back. Likewise, for someone who is used to iOS, it would take a lot to push them into Android. This is part of the reason why I think Apple made a huge mistake in pulling Google Maps and forcing their horribly underdeveloped Maps app to their users.

As far as Windows 8 goes, it still has a traditional desktop with icons. The Metro interface is more for touch-enabled devices, and MS knows this. However, the desktop in Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7, and I just don't see good enough reason for me to upgrade. Windows 7 is by far the best OS I've ever used on a desktop (and I have a mac as well), and since I don't have a touch display, Metro is useless to me. Part of the reason why I don;t expect Windows 8 to do well is because it will be hard to outdo Windows 7, and most people probably have better ways to spend $100+.

686Owner
10-16-2012, 15:33
They took a lot of cues from Apple in the OS IMO. Or at least stuff I don't think was in Win 7. It mostly didn't work correctly when I used it though.

I ran a prerelease in parallels on a MacBook Pro and it was awful. The tile stuff might work on a tablet but did nothing for the desktop version.

DairyFresh
10-16-2012, 15:41
Keyboards and mice are relics.

sputnik767
10-16-2012, 15:55
Keyboards and mice are relics.

Tell that to someone who does AutoCAD or photoshop, or even simply types for a living.

Historian
10-16-2012, 17:26
This digital turd makes Microsoft Bob look awesome.

Jeffe
10-16-2012, 17:27
MS can't make two acceptable OS' in a row. 98 good, 2000 crap, xp good, vista meh, 7 good,

based on that I will wait for 9 :P

Happypuppy
10-16-2012, 17:34
Why bother? Windows 7 works fine, let someone else beta test it for them. If it was $20.00 like Apples updates for some it maybe worth considering. But, at the prices they charge I am fine.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

soulxfer
11-28-2012, 00:37
Microsoft sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 in 1 month, which is twice faster than Windows 7 and probably fastest selling OS to date. The upgrade price of $39 is attractive, so it seems to be on track to hit 400 million target in first year.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

phil evans
11-28-2012, 06:09
maybe gaston after developing the gen4 -
then he helped out on the window8 project.
i'm wanting Santa to put the bestest tablet in my stocking.

sputnik767
11-28-2012, 06:10
Microsoft sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 in 1 month, which is twice faster than Windows 7 and probably fastest selling OS to date. The upgrade price of $39 is attractive, so it seems to be on track to hit 400 million target in first year.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Honestly for me, the upgrade has to be worth not only the price, but also the hassle, as I always do fresh installs. Windows 8 just does not offer anything to me beyond what Windows 7 already provides. Windows 7 was a huge improvement over XP, and Windows 8 seems to be Windows 7 with a Metro start screen.

papercidal
11-28-2012, 07:09
I fed a cup of coffee to my throwaway netbook and got stuck downgrading to a win 8 machine. It reminds me of a old guy trying to be young and hip in the skinny jeans and stupid flat brimmed ball cap. Nothing wrong with young and hip for those who are but to throw away the advantage of maturity for a false sense of youthfulness is just stupid.

Lethaltxn
11-28-2012, 12:52
I have the Nokia lumia 920, windows 8 phone, coming from IOS I'm really happy with it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Chesafreak
11-28-2012, 13:39

How is the WP8 considered a dud? I like mine, and my boss who has an iPhone also has a WP8 and really likes it. We did NOT like earlier versions of Windows mobile.

If you have to ask about widgets then you must not have actually used Windows 8. The tiles are live and update like any widget would update.

You will not appreciate Windows 8 unless you have a tablet or touchscreen monitor.

I'm not saying that I like Windows 8. I haven't used it enough to judge except for checking out a laptop at Best Buy. I think that MS may have got this one right. With a touch screen it seems very intuitive to me.

Lethaltxn
11-28-2012, 13:45
How is the WP8 considered a dud? I like mine, and my boss who has an iPhone also has a WP8 and really likes it. We did NOT like earlier versions of Windows mobile.

If you have to ask about widgets then you must not have actually used Windows 8. The tiles are live and update like any widget would update.

You will not appreciate Windows 8 unless you have a tablet or touchscreen monitor.

I'm not saying that I like Windows 8. I haven't used it enough to judge except for checking out a laptop at Best Buy. I think that MS may have got this one right. With a touch screen it seems very intuitive to me.

Agreed, I used the beta versions that were out before release and that was my exact thought as well. Win 8, IMO, really needs a touch screen in order to shine. Otherwise stick with Win 7.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

captainstormy
11-28-2012, 14:40

Full disclosure, I'm a Linux guy myself.

I agree windows 8 may be good on a tablet or touch screen monitor. On a traditional desktop thou I'm sceptical.

I think it has some sort fallback mode for that however.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tongo
11-28-2012, 15:01
The tile interface is basically just a blown up start menu. Your primary interface is still meant to be the "desktop". As tablets and smartphones become more prevalent in the workplace, it's good for Microsoft to have a platform that they can spread across all hardware types.

Sorry, I know this was posted a while ago, but I have to address it.

Touch interfaces (tablets and smart phones) and a traditional keyboard/mouse combo (PCs and Laptops) are meant for fundamentally different tasks. Think about what you use tablets and smart phones for verses what you use a desktop for. The touch interface is all about consuming information, videos, browsing websites, e-books. The traditional desktop or laptop is about producing information, creating documents, videos, software. You get work done on a PC, you veg and browse GlockTalk, Reddit, and YouTube from your tablet.

"Why don't you get a touch screen for your desktop and enjoy the best of both worlds?" you might ask. Think about reaching up from your keyboard every time you have to swipe your monitor to do some simple task. I would hate it and it would kill productivity.

Microsoft is hell bent on combining these two paradigms and I don't think it'll work well. It's a great OS for tablets of phones, but give me a traditional, non-touch screen interface for my PC.

wizzi01
11-28-2012, 16:15
I am enjoying win8. Just get a start menu app and it is not bad at all.