Odd reloading data [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Odd reloading data

man.cave
09-24-2012, 18:52
Ok, I tested berrys 155gr HBRN 40 s&w with a load of titegroup 5.5 gr with a glock 27 and a lone wolf barrel. I got average speeds of around 1028 fps, which is in the ball park of the speed that was listed for starting load of 5.4 with a jacketed bullet in 3 different books. The question I have is my buddy who used my chrono (the same) for a load with the same bullets but only used 4.7 gr got the same speed with a glock stock barrel, also a G 27. He got his starting loads of the net, no real published data. How was our speeds so close? is the Glock barrel that much faster. OAL powder primer all the same. Not sure if he had a hard crimp on it or anything. I figured with 15% less poweder, it should be slower. Some body enlighten me :brickwall:

man.cave
09-24-2012, 18:53
no cracks on using titegroup, just want to understand why this is. a total of 10 rds where fired with each test.

F106 Fan
09-24-2012, 19:24
The Lone Wolf rifling is a lot different than the Glock. I would expect more resistance to the bullet travel for the LW barrel.

Richard

njl
09-24-2012, 19:26
What were your OALs? You should compare the same load in the two different guns. I bet you'll get different velocities. Those are two very different barrels.

man.cave
09-24-2012, 19:28
What were your OALs? You should compare the same load in the two different guns. I bet you'll get different velocities. Those are two very different barrels.

The OAL was 1.125. I just didn't figure the Glock barrel would make that much difference in speed

man.cave
09-26-2012, 18:11
Ok I had him bring me a few bullets, and I measured the powder. it was 5.6gr. he had wrote it down wrong. Interesting though, before he gave me a few bullets to pull, I had shot 8 rds of my own. 4 in a glock barrel and 4 in a lonewolf. The lonewolf was 30fps faster than was the glock barrel. All eight rds where with in a range of 10fps of each other with respects to the barrel used.

F106 Fan
09-26-2012, 18:26
Ok I had him bring me a few bullets, and I measured the powder. it was 5.6gr. he had wrote it down wrong..

And that is the reason we NEVER, EVER shoot someone else's reloads!

Richard

njl
09-26-2012, 18:34
How the heck did he turn 5.6 into 4.7?

The speed diff you saw between your stock and LWD barrels is right on with what I've seen when testing the same load in my Springfield 1911 vs my G21SF. The 1911 shoots them about that much faster.

unclebob
09-26-2012, 18:44
Or did his scale say 4.7. But was 5.6?

And that is the reason we NEVER, EVER shoot someone else's reloads!

Richard

Other people shoot yours.:wow: :shocked:

F106 Fan
09-26-2012, 22:44
Other people shoot yours.:wow: :shocked:

Interesting you should bring that up.

In my old age, I am coming down with a bad case of OCD and I spend a lot of time worring that one round, out of the 10k or so sitting in ammo cans, is overcharged.

More worrisome is that someone in my family might run across it before I do.

Richard

unclebob
09-27-2012, 06:51
Interesting you should bring that up.

In my old age, I am coming down with a bad case of OCD and I spend a lot of time worring that one round, out of the 10k or so sitting in ammo cans, is overcharged.

More worrisome is that someone in my family might run across it before I do.

Richard

Then you should not be reloading for someone else.

F106 Fan
09-27-2012, 07:50
Then you should not be reloading for someone else.

There is no rational basis for OCD.

Of all the thousands and thousands of rounds I have made, there has never been an overcharge. There was one squib, a very long time ago, back when I was using a turret press. I get more defective ammo from the manufacturers than I have ever loaded.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that any of my reloads are overcharged. Both from the process and the equipment, an overcharge is extremely unlikely.

But I still think about it...

Richard

man.cave
09-27-2012, 14:05
I am with F106 Fan, I don't want anybody shooting my reloads, except me and my wife. I have never had issue and double check most steps during the proccess but I still don't wany somebody to come upon my mistake. As for my Friend this was his first reloading that he has done. Not sure how the mix up cam about. I know he was reloading some 115gr 9mm as well. Either way it was a good learning experience for him as well.