Henry US Survival .22 rifle, who's got one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Henry US Survival .22 rifle, who's got one?

SGT278ACR
09-24-2012, 19:10
Who has one of these? I've got the .22 pistol I'm going to train my son on, but I've been seriously considering a Henry US Survival .22 for a possible rifle for him too. Not settled on this, it's just one of the one's I have in consideration for a good youth training rifle. Plus I think it's kind of cool too. :cool: If you've got one, please give me some feedback. Thanks in advance. :wavey:

JaPes
09-24-2012, 19:22
Until I got one in my hands, I was interested in the Henry Survival Rifle. It felt "cheap". Then the overwhelming mediocre to negative reviews across the internet soured me on it.

If you must start out your son on an auto-loading rifle, you might want to consider a Ruger 10/22 Compact (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html).

El_Ron1
09-24-2012, 19:36
Bad sights, bad trigger, weird threaded barrel, funky cheap magazines... If you really want to "survive", buy a Ruger MKII or a Browning BuckMark.

akbluz
09-24-2012, 20:41
Take a look at the fairly new Ruger 10/22 Take-down .22lr - it's cool.
akbluz

SGT278ACR
09-25-2012, 09:08
If you really want to "survive", buy a Ruger MKII or a Browning BuckMark.

Well... I'm already set in the .22 pistol area with a Ruger SR22 & a S&W 22A-1. I think I'll go ahead and check out some variations of a 10/22, or if I go with Henry I'll get a lever action. I used to have one of those and had lots of fun with it.

billkill
09-25-2012, 09:42
Take a look at the Marlin Papoose

wjv
09-25-2012, 10:22
Henry lever guns are nice. . . But so is the Ruger 10/22 take-down version.

Feather also made a nice .22, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

wlkjr
09-25-2012, 10:34
I've got one that was given to me by a friend. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems to be OK for what it is designed for.

4Rules
09-25-2012, 10:45
The AR-7 is a very specialized firearm; it is definitely not the best choice for a youth training rifle.

If you need something that fits into that compact space envelope for a "carried a lot, shot a little" application, that is one thing, an AR-7 might be your rifle. But, for your application - youth training - you want a length of pull that is suited to your student; an AR-7 has a buttstock long enough to store the 16 1/2" barrel, which means it has a LOP that is too long for most small people. You want a rifle that can be shot a lot; any AR-7 (including the Henry Survival Rifle) is just not designed for that.

While the new takedown version (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html) of the Ruger 10/22 (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html) is easy to recommend (for you), realize that the new shooter can benefit from taking his time. Any semi-automatic works against that, for the new shooter at least. I suggest that you consider a Savage (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/) bolt-action rifle - sized to your son - to start with.

SGT278ACR
09-25-2012, 10:53
Take a look at the Marlin Papoose

That's a good little rifle too. Mom & Dad got me one of those for my birthday when I was a kid. Unfortunately, stupid me pawned it when I was 18 to pay for a speeding ticket. That was 20 years and I still regret it. The dumb things we do when we're young....

SGT278ACR
09-25-2012, 10:54
Deleted double post

mac66
09-25-2012, 12:35
The Henry is better than the previous ones, though the original Armalite Ar7 is a collector's item now.

The Ar7 itself is pretty much a niche gun. Kind of a stash away, last ditch type thing. It stores inside the stock but he stock is so bulky as to not be very practical to pack. On the other hand it is very light, somewhat reliable, somewhat accurate out to 15-20 yards or so. There are some aftermarket stocks available for it that make it more practical. It is also kind of expensive for what you get. It is aluminum with a steel lined plastic barrel. Back when they were $100 they were worth it. Now they are well over $200 and still only worth $100.

My suggestion for a kids gun is a youth/compact model Ruger 10/22. They are very handy, light weight and can grow with the kids. They are infinitely customizable and when he is an old man he can make it back into a compact rifle again to go walk in the woods with.

PhantomF4E
09-25-2012, 15:00
I have shot the Henry and the AR-7 they are good for what they were designed for . A cheap lightweight, use if you have to .22 rifle. Not meant for long term shootability or tack driving accuracy . I would not use them for training myself , but that is just my opinion. If you want durable and packability , the 10/22 takedown for a rifle hands down .
If you are just talking about training there are many high quality air rifles out there that are capable of doing that job as well. I have one that will hit a nickle at 50 yards until you get bored of doing it .

vaquero aleman
04-03-2013, 13:00
I recently purchased an AR-7. I think the stock is very bulky but it does, what it is designed to do, very well for a back pack rifle. It fits in my Game Winner from Academy Sports with more than enough room for the zipper to get around but as everyone else has stated, it would not be my choice for a good quality first time 22. I have always wanted a Ruger 10-22 but have just never got serious about it. There is a ton of aftermarket products for the 10-22 and WalMart usually has a couple in the case. There is no doubting the quality of the Ruger; That would be my recommendation. But, I am fairly sure, that by now the OP has already made a decision.

Jason D
04-03-2013, 16:29
Same as above.
I was interested in them until I got my hands on one.

countrygun
04-03-2013, 17:24
Ruger take down.

Funny about the AR7 but the design has been through about a half a dozen companies and s far as I knew, two companies ago, they all followed the "specs" so closely that they all left one easily corrected flaw in.

drizzle
04-03-2013, 17:51
I could never get it to feed correctly, since the end of the bbl is also the feed ramp, and it has no ramp. Straight up and down. I had a friend grind a ramp for me. Kaboom, unsupported case blew the magazine out the bottom of the gun. It's a great gun if you don't want to shoot it, stores all cool in the stock, floats. Just that accurately firing thing that doesn't work.

I recently got a Papoose. It has a feed ramp, cycled a 25 round Ramline without a hiccup, and comes apart into a carrying case. Not as compact as an AR7, but it works great.

vaquero aleman
04-03-2013, 18:19
Yeh, the first time I tried to cycle a magazine I found that the round stopped dead at the lip of the chamber, because there appeared to be no kind of feed mechanism.

So I took a dremel to it and now it cycles without a hitch and then I fired a couple of rounds with no visible damage or change to the brass. Extracted about 3 feet to the right.

I sure hope I don't have the kind of trouble I've been reading about.

As for accuracy, I'll check on that later when I get access to a barn, or at least the broad side of a barn.

countrygun
04-03-2013, 19:05
Yeh, the first time I tried to cycle a magazine I found that the round stopped dead at the lip of the chamber, because there appeared to be no kind of feed mechanism.

So I took a dremel to it and now it cycles without a hitch and then I fired a couple of rounds with no visible damage or change to the brass. Extracted about 3 feet to the right.

I sure hope I don't have the kind of trouble I've been reading about.

As for accuracy, I'll check on that later when I get access to a barn, or at least the broad side of a barn.

That's it right there. None of the specs ever called for chamfering the lip of the chamber, so they weren't.

Easy way is 400 grit wet or dry wrapped around a .30 spitzer bullet, followed by a polish

ChuteTheMall
04-03-2013, 20:32
They got big fat butts!
:moonie:

Semiauto state of the art is Ruger 10/22 by a huge margin.

Chronos
04-04-2013, 00:28
This is a bit of a necrothread, so I won't address the OP specifically. But I've always wondered about these AR7's -- wouldn't a decent pistol be at least as accurate, reliable, and compact? Why even bother? I can see how a Papoose or a 10/22 takedown would offer some real long-gun advantages over a pistol, but does the AR7 do it at all?

vaquero aleman
04-04-2013, 03:39
I would think that the AR-7 would, inherently, have better accuracy and performance than a .22 pistol because of the 16 inch barrel and the apx. 20.5 inch sight radius. I cannot attest to the level of precision manufactured into the mating of the barrel/receiver, but as soon as I can find a box of .22 ( darn hoarders!) I will put it to the test. Since I've had the opportunity (stated gingerly) to qualify with an M16, a few times, I should be able to determine, to a small degree, the abilities of my AR-7. Because it seems to be a question asked by many readers, I think that I will try to make a video of my testing and begin a separate thread with my results. It will be my first video, of anything, so please go easy on me.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Henry%20AR-7/S6300030_zps6526e704.jpg

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Henry%20AR-7/S6300032_zps14dd5306.jpg

Paxmo
04-04-2013, 05:29
Had a ar7 for 20 yrs. great little piece cost 75 bucks. Plenty of after market ad ons.

Jason D
04-04-2013, 16:03
One little carbine I always wanted but never got was the Browning .22 based on the Buckmark. Small and handy, but nowhere near as handy as a real take down rifle would be.

vaquero aleman
04-05-2013, 19:22
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Henry%20AR-7/S6300033_zps95be4bbc.jpg

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Henry%20AR-7/S6300034_zps9d8718ee.jpg

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Henry%20AR-7/S6300037_zps347c1bbc.jpg

After working on getting a good sight picture with the AR-7 I quickly realized that my eyes just aren't what they once were. I found that the sights manufactured onto this thing were worthless to me so I removed the front sight and found a tasco .22 scope for $7.99 + tax to mount on the rifle. Took it to the range and after about 6 or 7 magazines of wondering why my cross hair adjustments weren't working I figured out that I needed to install the scope according to instructions. After the correct installation was performed it only took 3 or 4 magazines to start punching out the centers of the targets, at 25 meters. Unfortunately, I don't know how well the original sights would have worked but I got it to work for me, so now all I have to figure out is how to stow the thing in my BOB. I can keep the break-down config by removing the scope every time I get done with it or I can find a case to stow it in that will fit in my BOB. Dunno what I'll do, but I will eventually come up with something brilliant.