Colt vs BCM [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt vs BCM

AZ Cat
09-24-2012, 22:17
I've read a lot of good discussion here about the pros and cons of various manufactures, and I've narrowed my AR-15 choice down to Colt 6920 and BCM Mod 0.

I'll use this for non-competitve target shooting as well as varmint hunting.

GT members, what would your choice be and why?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Airhasz
09-25-2012, 00:40
Personal preference...is the difference...

NEOH212
09-25-2012, 01:19
Personal preference...is the difference...

Considering the choices that's the only difference.

The Colt may be easier to come by and more readily available. You may have to wait on the BCM.

I'd be 100% comfortable with either rifle as they are both high quality units.

:agree:

faawrenchbndr
09-25-2012, 02:06
i'd be 100% comfortable with either rifle as they are both high quality units.

+1.........

Glock Holliday
09-25-2012, 03:19
I've got both... you can't go wrong with either one. As the others said, it's personal preference.

I went with a BCM4 for my work gun because I wanted the mid-length gas system w/ Larue Tactical free floating forend. Since I purchased the upper and lower separately, I only paid Federal Excise Tax on the lower (which had to be shipped to an FFL) and the upper was shipped to my residence. Nonetheless, I didn't save any money in the long run but I've got the carbine I really wanted.

ArmoryDoc
09-25-2012, 04:40
Both are top notch guns. Flip a coin.

AZ Cat
09-25-2012, 08:01
Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

MrMurphy
09-25-2012, 08:33
Both are solid.

For your purposes the midlength system on the BCM may be a little better, the carbine system is a little more abrupt.

samuse
09-25-2012, 08:52
Both are solid.

For your purposes the midlength system on the BCM may be a little better, the carbine system is a little more abrupt.

I can't tell a difference. I have a BCM 14.5" mid w/ Battlecomp, H buffer and a 14.5" BCM carbine w/ A2 and H-2 buffer and I honestly can't tell a difference.

I like the mid-length because of the 2" more rail space but other that, no difference.

I'm a Colt guy, but I run BCM uppers now because they had what I really wanted and I think the quality is the same.

mixflip
09-25-2012, 09:13
I have a Colt LE6920. I plan on buying BCM mid length upper just for fun later.

I'd be in AR15 heaven with either one but I got my Colt just because of sentimental reasons. (veteran)

mjkeat
09-25-2012, 09:44
I can't tell a difference. I have a BCM 14.5" mid w/ Battlecomp, H buffer and a 14.5" BCM carbine w/ A2 and H-2 buffer and I honestly can't tell a difference.

I like the mid-length because of the 2" more rail space but other that, no difference.

I'm a Colt guy, but I run BCM uppers now because they had what I really wanted and I think the quality is the same.

I'd be curious to see how it went if you put a BC and changed to a H in the carbine. More of an apples to apples comparison.

K. Foster
09-25-2012, 09:56
Colt will give you better brand recognition and higher resale, if that matters. BCM will be a little cheaper and have a better selection of options. In the unlikely event that you need warranty work, BCM will be quicker and more responsive.
As stated, there is no wrong answer.

samuse
09-25-2012, 10:08
I'd be curious to see how it went if you put a BC and changed to a H in the carbine. More of an apples to apples comparison.

I tried out both when I first got the upper. It's not much different. I actually thought I had an H buffer in it until I popped the BCG out and realized it was an H2.

All I've shot was 55 grain 5.56.

WayaX
09-25-2012, 11:32
Having experience with both, I would choose BCM.

Is a BCM set up like a Colt any better? No. However, BCM offers more options for barrel contour, length, furniture, etc.

Sure, you could modify your Colt, but it would end up costing more, and then in the end, you wouldn't have much of the Colt left.

I think most civilians (myself included) are better served with a mid-length gas system, and non-M4 profile barrel (let's face it, the barrel profile of a Colt 6920 is pointless for most practical purposes).

Price wise, they're about the same now. Pick whichever one suits you better and go with it. There is no wrong choice here.

TedG
09-25-2012, 12:25
I have a Colt LE6920. I plan on buying BCM mid length upper just for fun later.

I'd be in AR15 heaven with either one but I got my Colt just because of sentimental reasons. (veteran)

That's basically what I did. I've owned a few of both and, as earlier stated, they're both fine quality and you can't go wrong with either.

zackwatt
09-25-2012, 13:06
Just picked up a 6920.

I plan on going with BCM when I do a MK12 SPR build...

jg420
09-25-2012, 19:53

Cole125
09-25-2012, 20:31
It does not matter. Both use quality parts, built to the correct specs. No BS

Cole125
09-25-2012, 20:32
BCM sux

/close thread lol

Wrong, try again. :dunno:

jg420
09-25-2012, 20:42
Wrong, try again. :dunno:

No such thing as a wrong opinion. I had a bad experience and got rid of mine for an LWRC custom build. No biggie they make great equipment, but my experience was sub par. To say I am wrong is just your opinion though. I just don't drink their Kool Aid, but more power to those who do.

Trey83
09-25-2012, 21:11
No such thing as a wrong opinion. I had a bad experience and got rid of mine for an LWRC custom build. No biggie they make great equipment, but my experience was sub par. To say I am wrong is just your opinion though. I just don't drink their Kool Aid, but more power to those who do.

Care to elaborate on your bad experience with the Colt? Not doubting you, just curious.

jg420
09-25-2012, 21:27
Care to elaborate on your bad experience with the Colt? Not doubting you, just curious.

Not Colt, BCM... Had problems with FTF and FTE's more than FTF. Sent back and had BCG replaced but still had the issue. This was with multiple types of ammo from XM855, XM193, PMC, and numerous handloads with Sierra MK 69's and Game Kings. Powders from CFE 223, BL-C2 and Benchmark. I just decided to part with it and got me a good deal on a custom LWRC M6 build. Oh I know they make great equipment and have heard nothing but great things from damn near everyone. My BCM sux comment was in jest because we know they do not, just my experience with them did. Customer service was top notch though and I understand why they have the great reputation. Hope this elaborates enough and wish anyone the best of luck with theirs

Schaffer
09-26-2012, 03:24
Considering the choices that's the only difference.

The Colt may be easier to come by and more readily available. You may have to wait on the BCM.

I'd be 100% comfortable with either rifle as they are both high quality units.

what she said....

i went with a colt since i didn't feel like waiting on a BCM.

Airhasz
09-26-2012, 06:30
[QUOTE=Schaffer;19457311]what she said....

That's a dude...

samuse
09-26-2012, 13:05

That's a dude...

:rofl: Ahhh the internet... Where men are men, women are men and kids are undercover FBI agents.

AZ Cat
09-26-2012, 13:23
Thanks everyone...very helpful.

Shockem841
09-26-2012, 21:10
Get the BCM

bigmoney890
09-26-2012, 21:35
I've read a lot of good discussion here about the pros and cons of various manufactures, and I've narrowed my AR-15 choice down to Colt 6920 and BCM Mod 0.

I'll use this for non-competitve target shooting as well as varmint hunting.

GT members, what would your choice be and why?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

This is like asking if you should buy a Ferrari vs Lamborghini, it's all personal preference when it comes to comparing tops brands like this.

Either way, you're going to be happy, and if you're not, send it back and try it again with the other company.

DrMaxit
09-29-2012, 05:15
[quote=Airhasz;19457483]

:rofl: Ahhh the internet... Where men are men, women are men and kids are undercover FBI agents.

:rofl: No kidding. I totally thought he was a she also. "Diesel girl," Girl picture in avatar, HK fan girl for life or some **** like that.... yeah.... totally thought it was a chick too. My bad. LoL

Anyways, OP either one is good to go. I'd like to get my hands on a colt, but I'm broke, so I'm going the PSA route myself honestly.

faawrenchbndr
09-29-2012, 05:18
You can get a BCM or a Colt for only a few hundred more.
You WILL buy one later,.......pay once, cry once!

Schaffer
09-29-2012, 10:42
[quote=samuse;19458505]

:rofl: No kidding. I totally thought he was a she also. "Diesel girl," Girl picture in avatar, HK fan girl for life or some **** like that.... yeah.... totally thought it was a chick too. My bad. LoL

Anyways, OP either one is good to go. I'd like to get my hands on a colt, but I'm broke, so I'm going the PSA route myself honestly.

She's also post some pictures of herself. Perhaps you need to open your eyes.

Again. Either will work. Get what you like.

Cole125
09-29-2012, 12:12
Neither, get a Daniel Defense. They are a step up in quality from either.

RMTactical
09-29-2012, 12:52
Colt makes a great rifle but they dont offer the variation and they don't sell parts like most of the other manufacturers do. That is why I prefer BCM.

DrMaxit
09-29-2012, 12:53
[quote=DrMaxit;19466948]

She's also post some pictures of herself. Perhaps you need to open your eyes.

Again. Either will work. Get what you like.

????:upeyes:

jb1911
09-29-2012, 13:43

That's a dude...

<LI class=profilefield_category>About NEOH212 BiographyI'm a female Diesel/Truck mechanic that loves to shoot guns and work on anything with a engine.LocationSomewhere in OhioInterestsGod and Guns Diesel engines and Big Rigs.OccupationSenior Lead Technician for one of the largest bulk commodity heavy haul trucking company in the United States.<LI class=profilefield_category>Signature FORD, built without your tax dollars.

faawrenchbndr
09-29-2012, 14:35
She's cool & all, but I thought this was a Colt vs BCM thread

Hour13
09-29-2012, 19:08
OP, you will not be disappointed either way. Both companies have earned their reputations.

GWG19
09-29-2012, 23:37
I dont think you could go wrong with either rifle.

I have had the 6920. Fine rifle with no problems. More than adequate accuracy.
Also had a MT6700 Same results. More than adequate accuracy.

You did mention varmint hunting. I use a Colt 6724. Superb accuracy! It will shoot incredible groups with most every thing I put through it.

Teecher45
09-30-2012, 10:46
I have a colleague that has a BCM mid-length. It is a great shooting rifle. I have a 6920, the first day he had his we took them to the range and shot them side by side. I couldn't tell one bit of difference. The only two reasons I bought mine when I did was on the advice of a friend that I trust and it was on the rack, for sale, ready to go home with me right then. I have no doubts that I would be just as happy with a BCM as I am with my Colt.
Or for that matter, any quality AR. I'm not a fanboy, I even own a Taurus .357.
But saying that, I love my 6920, it hasn't malfunctioned once and is more accurate than I am.
Good luck, and have fun. You won't be disappointed either way.

RatDrall
10-01-2012, 10:34
Unless you have a grenade launcher, skip the carbine length and go mid lenght, so your barrel doesn't have all sorts of useless cuts in it for parts you'll never have access to.

Colt doesn't do mid length, so go BCM...