Ammo question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo question

jones n
09-25-2012, 08:16
Do you get better performance out of 124 +p ammo for short barrell glocks or will the 147 be just a effective.
Thanks.

robhic
09-25-2012, 08:38
Kind of a toss-up or opinion question. The 124 JHP +P Bonded Golden Saber (and Gold Dot) are quite effective, street proven and recommended by many (Mas Ayoob included).

The 147 is slower and has its own pluses and negatives so that's why I say it is an opinion question. Just wait a few posts and you'll see!

Both perform well and you should be OK with either as your choice (I use the Golden Saber 9mm).

jones n
09-25-2012, 08:45
Yea I was just wondering if there was more of a advantage with +p ammo in glock 26 compared to regular pressure ammo since the barrell was so short.

The Retired Sarge
09-25-2012, 09:29
Do your own research and choose what you have confidence in and functions well/shoots best in your pistol. A lot of shooters choose ammo by what makes them feel good, and that is velocity and foot pounds of energy. Today's modern, high tech bullet designs do not have to be velocity driven to expand and perform well. I talked with the ballistic engineers of the major ammo manufacturers and was told out of a short barrel the +P loadings may not have enough barrel length to completely burn all of the powder and get up to proper velocity for that particular bullet design. The 147gr 9mm loadings actually loose less velocity from short barrels and are designed to expand at lower velocities. I carry the 147 Federal HST in any 9mm barrel length. Go to www.le.atk.com and view some of the professional ammo testing there. Bill

icelandicstud
09-25-2012, 09:31
check out www.underwoodammo.com have some smoking 9mm +p and +p+

jones n
09-25-2012, 09:32
Thanks Sarge thats kinda the info I was looking for.
I have done some reserch but could'nt fine anything on this subject matter.

tango44
09-25-2012, 09:41
Kind of a toss-up or opinion question. The 124 JHP +P Bonded Golden Saber (and Gold Dot) are quite effective, street proven and recommended by many (Mas Ayoob included).

GoldDot 124+P is what I use on my G26, but I can't find any more in 50 round boxes.

What do you think about the 115+P JHP CORBON?

Thank you.

The Retired Sarge
09-25-2012, 09:44
Thanks Sarge thats kinda the info I was looking for.
I have done some reserch but could'nt fine anything on this subject matter.

You are quite welcome. Nothing wrong with the +P ammo either as I like the 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot a lot too. And Speer makes a loading specifically for short barrels. Both sides of the bullet debate have their merits. I ascribe to the heavy bullet theory. Bill

HoBoJoe
09-25-2012, 11:03
GoldDot 124+P is what I use on my G26, but I can't find any more in 50 round boxes.

What do you think about the 115+P JHP CORBON?

Thank you.

Gold dot 124+P 50 round boxes:

http://sgammo.com/product/speer/50-rd-box-9mm-speer-gold-dot-124-p-le-hollow-point-53617

M 7
09-25-2012, 15:29
Do you get better performance out of 124 +p ammo for short barrell glocks or will the 147 be just a effective.
Thanks.

The 147 gr. JHPs will typically offer a little deeper penetration than the 124 gr. JHPs, but either weight is a good choice.

JBP55
09-25-2012, 15:57
I prefer HST, Gold Dot or Ranger T in 124+P for all my 9mm Glocks regardless of barrel length.

akroguy
09-26-2012, 01:57
I chrony'd some 124 Gr. Federal +P+ through my G19 and G17. I thought the shorter G19 barrel might yield slower velocities. WRONG. No change. :shocked:

Just a point of reference.

skip4309
10-13-2012, 11:17
Hey guys....I was wanting to buy some 9mm ammo for the range. Is American Eagle (Federal) good stuff. Was looking to buy 1000 rds 124gr FMJ for my new toy. So far its been digesting anything I shoot. Recommendations appreciated....looking to buy online...saw it somewhere for $235.00 per 1000 rds plus shipping. Thanks!

njl
10-13-2012, 11:39
Hey guys....I was wanting to buy some 9mm ammo for the range. Is American Eagle (Federal) good stuff. Was looking to buy 1000 rds 124gr FMJ for my new toy. So far its been digesting anything I shoot. Recommendations appreciated....looking to buy online...saw it somewhere for $235.00 per 1000 rds plus shipping. Thanks!

Federal AE is good range ammo. But at that price plus shipping you might check your local Walmart for the same or Winchester ammo and compare the total prices.

Seems not that long ago I could get 1000 rds of Blazer 115gr for right around $100 delivered. But those days are gone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

avenues165
10-13-2012, 11:52
I really like Fed AE for the range, I can get it cheap and it has a little more pop than some other range ammo, so it gets closer to actual SD ammo.

Regarding a selection for SD and carry, I have recently learned on GT that one should focus on ammo that feeds reliably in your pistol and ammo that you can shoot well. If you shoot the +p or +p+ ammo well then use it. But I tell ya, I would cease my hostilities very quickly if I got shot with either 115gr +p+, 124gr +p or +p+, or 147gr standard pressure. Heck, I'd cease my hostilities if shot with standard pressure .22lr, but that is just me:rofl:

skip4309
10-13-2012, 12:27
Thanks...I kinda figured the shipping on 1000 rds would be outrageous...I'm having a hard time finding the 124gr FMJ stuff. I guess I'll just buy the WWB 115gr at Wal-Mart and check the next local gun show...should be soon since hunting season around the corner. Has anyone 'out there' experienced any probs with BTF/FTF/FTE with their Gen 4 G26...so far (after 175 rds) no problems (yet). First time Glock owner here....(not a newbie to firearms though!). Thanks in advance.

Mochahooligan
10-13-2012, 12:54
Ranger 127 +P+ Only thing I use!

skip4309
10-13-2012, 13:53
Ranger 127 +P+ Only thing I use!

Cool! An off the subject question. How is Illinois (Chicago suburbs) treating (handgun) control? I've heard they are more strict in that area...please set me straight! Texas has no city or county restrictions I know of. Thanks.

Mochahooligan
10-13-2012, 14:46
It's not too bad. Cook co is always a pain in the *****. I am fortunate that i live where I do I guess.

skip4309
10-13-2012, 18:29
It's not too bad. Cook co is always a pain in the *****. I am fortunate that i live where I do I guess.

Thanks...I hope you and your family have nice weekend.:supergrin:

fortyofforty
10-13-2012, 19:07
Twenty posts and not once has anyone said, "Why do you bother with a 9mm, it's a worthless round that has no stopping power." What gives? Isn't this GT?

Seriously, I use 147 grain Speer Gold Dot in my G26 and G19. It's accurate beyond all reasonable expectations and functions 100% so far in each (although I find both my Glock 9mms as close to 100% as any pistols I've ever shot, even with inexpensive practice ammo).

njl
10-13-2012, 19:35
Unless I missed it, you never did say what sort of performance you were looking for. Is this target (paper) shooting? Reactive target shooting (steel, pins, etc.), or for defensive purposes?

Tornado_Racing
10-13-2012, 19:59
I prefer HST, Gold Dot or Ranger T in 124+P for all my 9mm Glocks regardless of barrel length.

This and Ranger T 124+P is my carry round

t4terrific
10-21-2012, 15:58
I use the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo, 124 gr+p. it's specifically designed for short barrels.

Glock Junkie
10-21-2012, 16:12
For target shooting you can't go wrong with Speed Lawman. You csnususlly find it for $220 for 1000 shipped. I just bought 1k rounds of Independence and I like it a lot. Shoots real clean and have had no malfunctions

TxGlock9
10-21-2012, 16:16
I use the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo, 124 gr+p. it's specifically designed for short barrels.

I was about to say this... Honestly though, I don't think you can go wrong with the regular one either..

t4terrific
10-21-2012, 16:50
I was about to say this... Honestly though, I don't think you can go wrong with the regular one either..

I agree.

RYT 2BER
10-21-2012, 21:36
<-------- does NOT like 147 at all'

rimshaker
10-21-2012, 21:56
Just for reference here's a ballistics table of the Winchester Ranger T series in all its various loads, not just 9mm. Probably the scariest ammo you can possibly use... they expand into shrapnel stars:

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

Performance means penetration and expansion. Note how the 147 penetrates deeper than both +p and +p+ loads. So now ask yourself why bother using overpressure ammo? The boring 147 performs better, less recoil, less muzzle flash, and is silencer friendly (subsonic).

NEOH212
10-21-2012, 22:58
Thanks.

In the 9mm, I'd always go with the +P or +P+ in a short barrel.

TxGlock9
10-21-2012, 23:32
Just for reference here's a ballistics table of the Winchester Ranger T series in all its various loads, not just 9mm. Probably the scariest ammo you can possibly use... they expand into shrapnel stars:

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

Performance means penetration and expansion. Note how the 147 penetrates deeper than both +p and +p+ loads. So now ask yourself why bother using overpressure ammo? The boring 147 performs better, less recoil, less muzzle flash, and is silencer friendly (subsonic).
That's interesting. I would like to know how it would have performed in real shooting cases. ie: real world. Not sarcasm. Just genuinely curious. Also I wonder if the same results of the win t-series apply to other brands such as Speer GD.

<-------- does NOT like 147 at all'

Why?

OliverLeveritt
10-22-2012, 20:08
Thanks...I kinda figured the shipping on 1000 rds would be outrageous....

I just bought 1,000 rounds of .40 from ********.com. Shipping was $21. I paid $289 for the ammo. With shipping, it came to $310.00 I can't buy anything in .40 at Walmart or Academy here in Houston for 31 cents / round.

Right now, their price on PMC 9mm 115 gr. FMJ is $209, so even with $21 shipping, that's 23 cents / round. Do the math against Wally World or where ever you're looking.

RYT 2BER
10-22-2012, 21:34
That's interesting. I would like to know how it would have performed in real shooting cases. ie: real world. Not sarcasm. Just genuinely curious. Also I wonder if the same results of the win t-series apply to other brands such as Speer GD.

Why?

I tend to not like the upper end weight of any bullets, but to me, I think the 9mm just isn't enough case/powder/power to push a bullet of that weight.. Also iirc that bullet is on the long side and guns have choked on it with some regularity. I myself saw a g19 that never failed on a single round jam mercilessly on 147 gr. again just my experience.

Now I personally am a bit of a velocity fan. I could certainly be wrong but I think hollow points and fmj are very different things. I have no doubt fmj anything is getting through anything.. But for hollow points I think the extra speed really helps ensure expansion and big terminal devastation.

I do not adhear to the penetration requirements all over the Internet, FBI protocol or not. Many will say I'm wrong, and I'll say since I woke up in the USA I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm not worried that a high velocity round only penetrates 10 inches or 9 inches. I'm sure it's getting the job done...

I read news stories virtually daily (and post them) about people using guns for self defense.. Often single shots easily and often kill people and/or at a minimum incapacite them. I'm not an FBI agent, and at self defense distances I'm pretty sure COM from a high power pistol round or rounds is stopping a threat.. Ironically people always talk about 12 inches of penetration and that less is insufficient. Well I can find 100 news stories about sd shoots and yet I'd be hard pressed to find the magical 1 or 2 where a quality round was used and the threat kept going... Yes,it's the world you can find one or two but please... :upeyes:

I carry .40 and 10mm most often... I think if you want to carry a round as heavy as 147 grain you'd be better served with a larger case like a .40 or maybe a 357 sig or better.. To me the benefit of the 9mm is the sweet spot of the 115-124/127